WARWICKSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL Employee Reviews

Nice Place to Work
Temporary Job (Former Employee) –  Ansell Way Warwick24 April 2017
I only worked for Warwickshire County Council for 2 months on a temporary position but it was a nice place place to work.

Everyone was very friendly.
Pros
Support
Cons
Hot desking
Fun workplace can be stressful at times due to the nature of the job
Adults safeguarding social worker (Current Employee) –  Warwick, Warwickshire10 April 2017
Typical day at work
Check emails
Prioritise anything urgent answer these
Check diary
Make appropriate telephone calls
Write case notes
Make appointments
May have one to two visits to service users
Pros
Pension scheme, free lunches on training good occupational health and leave
Cons
Commute for me
Personally Rewarding
Reablement Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Leamington Spa, Warwickshire4 April 2017
My day starts at either 7 am or 4 pm I assist elderly people who have generally just come out of hospital after operations, falls, or strokes I assist them to regain their independence within their own home.
The hardest part of my job is the travelling over the whole of South Warwickshire as I work in the community which is spread over 700 sq miles, but not in the same day.
The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing that with our assistance that a lot of our service users regain their independence which means them staying in their own home.
Pros
Working patterns
Cons
Driving
Good workplace
Catering Manager (Current Employee) –  Warwickshire2 March 2017
Worked for them for 12 years
Good company with benefits
Fair work ethic
Ongoing training
Always available for back up with any concerns
They do all the trading and have regular meetings with school.
Pros
Uniform and lunch provided
Cons
Tight legislation
Same as any government run department!
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Arley, Warwickshire10 January 2017
Working in education is frustrating, demoralising and exhausting. The endless pressure from governments and ofsted make this a thoroughly demanding and demoralising career despite many people striving to do their utmost for pupils in their care.
Pros
School holidays
Cons
Long hours and unnecessary paperwork
Fun and Challenging working in a Warwickshire school
Class Teacher (Current Employee) –  Warwickshire3 January 2017
Fantastic co-workers and management, amazing children and parents. A frightening lack of money for resources and school development though, a real shock after working in other counties and a real discrepancy between schools within the county.
Pros
Fantastic people.
Cons
Complete lack of funding. Ridiculous expectations and pressures on the profession nationally.
Ever changing environment, which offers opportunities for personal grown
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Warwickshire13 November 2016
Excellent organisation to work for.
Attend a number of meeting to plan and agree integration with health for our service.
Good working relationships and wealth of experience and knowledge to draw from.
Hardest part if trying to balance the day to day running of the service whilst attending a plethora of meetings, however this is manageable.
The most enjoyable part of my role is seeing new staff start with my service and progress their way through.
Also to see the fantastic difference we make to customers lives. We assist customers when they first come of our hospital with daily living skills and work with the customer to regain tasks to keep them independent. We currently have a 70%success rate for customers not requiring on-going social care support after a programme with reablement. Also a success rate of around 90% for customers only requiring a reduced on-going package of care.
Pros
Opportunity for carer progression
Fun
Pertemps Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leamington Spa5 August 2016
Fun and productive work place. Career progression was not possible due to temporary postilion. Very good training. Friendly and approachable staff.
Warwickshire County Council
Commissioner (Current Employee) –  Warwick13 June 2016
Good place to work with lots of development opportunities Flexible working arrangements and nice location.
Poor Management Has Made This An Unpleasant Place to Work
Local Government Officer (Former Employee) –  Warwick9 May 2016
I worked in Strategic Commissioning which appears to be leading the direction for the majority if not all of adult and children social care and the future of its drive. Unfortunately the Department lacks neutral opinionated management who are at times incredibly unprofessional and let their personal views and emotions prejudice important decisions. This has resulted in a bullying culture which I witnessed on a daily basis. I also noted that whilst certain areas within Warwickshire County Council had been heavily affected by cuts, it was clear that within Strategic Commissioning jobs were being created for hand picked existing workers allowing them greater salaries within newly created teams. Managers seemed to bypass regulated policies and instead made decisions for their own interests. This was alarming considering the impact it has had on vulnerable people in Warwickshire. Raised concerns were swept under the carpet to protect managers reputations and to make their jobs easier. Even more worrying was that HR & the Union were aware of this but chose to accept this culture.

The job I did in itself was very interesting and I enjoyed it very much. However I was unable to stay in post because I could not stand to work in such an unprofessional environment where staff morale was at an all time low.
Pros
Flexible with generous holiday entitlements
Cons
Existing bullying culture in some teams which has not been addressed
slow paced working environment
ICT Programme and Strategy Project Manager/ B.A (Former Employee) –  Warwick30 March 2016
Very frustrating environment to work in causing a slow pace and long delivery timelines due to red tape legislation. Small project would take around an average timescale of 2 years to complete
Cons
Not an effective management structure
Very good place to work
Customer Relations investigations officer (Former Employee) –  Warwickshire14 March 2016
great experience
good for knowledge on new procedures and protocols
shame it was only a temp role
good training oportunities
Pros
location
Cons
Fulfilling, rewarding and purposeful work supporting adults with disabilities
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Leamington Spa11 November 2015
Supporting adults with disabilities to acquire, develop and retain life skills and be involved in community activities. Working individually and as part of a team. Person centred philosophy.
Pros
Fulfilling, supportive and rewarding working with adults with disabilities
Cons
Bureaucracy, indecisiveness and mixed messages from senior management
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  ENG30 September 2015
great place to work,great benefits.Managers very supportive.Great people i work alongside.Hardest part of job well there aint any.Most enjoyable part of my job is the people i work around-they are fantastic people
every day is different
Fostering Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Nuneaton, ENG6 August 2015
Hard some days, and can become a bit overwhelming but must remain focused. I learnt a lot and learnt to be a stronger person because of the situations I was put into. I stepped up to become a manager and helped improve the performance of others.
refuge collector (Former Employee) –  warwick23 July 2015
lots of walking and cycling talking to lots of people on route stopping at shops for a drink and food. management was great co-workers where great the hardest bit was walking up big drives.most enjoyable part was going to the tip with the driver
Fostering Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Warwickshire County Council30 March 2015
Warwickshire County Council has been a good place to work, I have been a Fostering Social Worker in a busy team.

As always in Social Work it has been stressful, but also rewarding in seeing children thrive. I have loved the work, however have no regrets with regard to retiring as was able to downsize my house.

I am multi-skilled in many areas and have a lot of commitment to give to the right job
Pros
Good Pension
Productive and supportive Enviroment
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Warwick30 March 2015
Office Admin work and learning new and adapting skills to improve my quality of work
working with friendly and supportive colleagues
Working with young people
Pros
Making connections
Cons
emotionally demanding
Making a little go a long way
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Warwick, ENG28 October 2014
Working in very large open plan office in a block built in the 1970s.

Austerity and cutbacks in Local Government spending are prompting managers to look at innovative solutions to maintain customer service levels while driving down costs.
Pros
Recognised as a model of national best practice: speaking events, national conferences, awards
Cons
Shrinking resources, never-ending cutbacks
Easy work and friend work place.
Pending Senior caretaker (Former Employee) –  Leamington Spa, ENG28 July 2014
The work is easy but constant, the staff and management are both helpful and friendly. I work as a team of 2 caretakers 13 cleaners and the site manager. The most enjoyable part of my job is learning new skills.
Pros
Good pention
Cons
Some of the children can be very disrespectful