WARWICKSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL Employee Reviews in Warwick

Brilliant! Best place I've ever worked!!
Admin Assistant (Temporary Agency Assignment) (Former Employee) –  Warwick19 January 2019
Trading Standards sets a gold standard in terms of a culture of respect amongst colleagues in a relaxed and constructive atmosphere, well-led with plenty of support and training on offer. This proved to be mutually beneficial as I enjoyed being there and they in turn asked for me to do a second assignment based on the success of my first which I was only too happy to do. The site is very easily accessible from the main dual carriageway or Warwick Parkway station and has free parking and walks nearby for lunchtime relaxation. Very friendly environment, despite the obvious frustration of long term staff facing redundancies and funding cuts.
Pros
Free parking; excellent working culture
Cons
Insufficient funding for permanent staff.
Varied and challenging role
Programme Administrator (part time) (Former Employee) –  Warwick, Warwickshire2 October 2017
I supported a new Learning Management Service and enjoyed working as part of a busy administrative team. Every day brought variety and an opportunity to support others with their learning journeys.
Pros
Open office environment
Cons
Very busy quiet heads down ethos
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Warwick21 September 2017
Naff management does not support new staff with personal problems very well very autocratic work you to the bone every second pay isnt great

Long term staff unwelcoming and unfriendly
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
Autocratic
Role
Personnel & Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warwick, Warwickshire5 September 2017
I am a dedicated, conscientious and efficient worker with a flexible outgoing manner. Hard working, reliable and able to communicate at all levels. I also have the ability to work as part of a team or individually. I am adaptable and willing to take on new challenges to succeed in my career.
Great flexible working culture, supportive colleagues, excellent training
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Warwick, Warwickshire9 August 2017
(I work full-time on a 'Modern Flexible Working contract - https://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/modernandflexible - typically this is 8ish until 4ish Mon-Fri)

Warwickshire County Council (often shortened to WCC) invests heavily in their employees, I for one have the opportunity to undertake a funded CIPD course which many private organisations wouldn't (in my experience). They recognise investment in developing staff to benefit the people of Warwickshire, which is a lovely motivation and you feel a huge sense of community and support amongst colleagues. They have a broad programme of face to face and e-learning training for their staff (with sessions outside of the normal included, such as mindfulness).

The salaries are not necessarily competitive (but sometimes are) in comparison to private sector, however their flexible working culture is exceptional in my eyes. My role allows for regular home working each week, autonomy on start/finish/break times, use of Google for email/communication (which makes collaborative working really easy when working remotely) but above all, I've not yet experienced any judgement when you start or leave at non-traditional times. The collateral lifestyle benefits and well supported work-life balance motivates me to work diligently and productively in the time I am there, I'll often do bits of work outside of 'traditional' hours because I've had the chance to take breaks during the day to achieve personal needs. For example, I am training to run in a half marathon, and am able to run during the day at a time that suits me. More than money, it's
  more... this that truly makes me enjoy my work even in tough climates of resource challenges. This, along with the training opportunities, makes WCC one of the best places I have ever worked.

There are many employees with extremely long tenure (10+ years) who, in majority, have undertaken a wide variety of roles, demonstrating to me that progression and development are high on WCC's priorities. Whatever your profession, be it admin, customer service, IT, engineering, project management, and at any seniority level, you can find opportunities to work in Social Care, Transport and Economy, HR, Finance, even Fire and Rescue - the beauty of working for a local authority is the diversity of the areas within which you can work.

In Warwick they have several buildings, one has very recently had a modern canteen built which serves well-priced handmade food (I often see them making the quiches in the morning whenever I am over there) and the staff are absolutely lovely.

Car parking can always be contentious wherever you work, but of everywhere I've worked, WCC provides the most extensive. They have a multi-storey under the Barrack Street office and an extensive car park at Cape Road. This is all free providing you have a parking permit to display (I got mine on my first day). Get to Barrack Street before 8 for a space, at Cape Road you could push it to 8:45am. There is a car sharing 'deck 'to Barrack Street multi-storey that allows anyone to park there (who isn't car sharing) after 10am if there are still free spaces (which there often is)

The worst park about working at WCC? We have to constantly monitor where we can make savings which can cause a stretch in resource, but it certainly teaches you how to be frugal, and everyone is keen to take care of each other when workloads are high. They operate a staff care service, free to their employees. Plus, as this is not a new concept for local authorities to manage, they are well experienced and equipped to deal with it. If ever you're going to face money challenges and the impact of that, the culture at WCC is the one to do it in.
Pros
Modern flexible working, supportive colleagues and managers, training opportunities
Productive and Supportive
Apprentice Family Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Warwick, Warwickshire10 July 2017
Everyone is so supportive and help you in any way possible.
You are taught how to balance everything properly and efficiently.
No work is expected of you out of working hours.
Fun workplace can be stressful at times due to the nature of the job
Adults safeguarding social worker (Current Employee) –  Warwick, Warwickshire10 April 2017
Typical day at work
Check emails
Prioritise anything urgent answer these
Check diary
Make appropriate telephone calls
Write case notes
Make appointments
May have one to two visits to service users
Pros
Pension scheme, free lunches on training good occupational health and leave
Cons
Commute for me
Warwickshire County Council
Commissioner (Current Employee) –  Warwick13 June 2016
Good place to work with lots of development opportunities Flexible working arrangements and nice location.
Poor Management Has Made This An Unpleasant Place to Work
Local Government Officer (Former Employee) –  Warwick9 May 2016
I worked in Strategic Commissioning which appears to be leading the direction for the majority if not all of adult and children social care and the future of its drive. Unfortunately the Department lacks neutral opinionated management who are at times incredibly unprofessional and let their personal views and emotions prejudice important decisions. This has resulted in a bullying culture which I witnessed on a daily basis. I also noted that whilst certain areas within Warwickshire County Council had been heavily affected by cuts, it was clear that within Strategic Commissioning jobs were being created for hand picked existing workers allowing them greater salaries within newly created teams. Managers seemed to bypass regulated policies and instead made decisions for their own interests. This was alarming considering the impact it has had on vulnerable people in Warwickshire. Raised concerns were swept under the carpet to protect managers reputations and to make their jobs easier. Even more worrying was that HR & the Union were aware of this but chose to accept this culture.

The job I did in itself was very interesting and I enjoyed it very much. However I was unable to stay in post because I could not stand to work in such an unprofessional environment where staff morale was at an all time low.
Pros
Flexible with generous holiday entitlements
Cons
Existing bullying culture in some teams which has not been addressed
slow paced working environment
ICT Programme and Strategy Project Manager/ B.A (Former Employee) –  Warwick30 March 2016
Very frustrating environment to work in causing a slow pace and long delivery timelines due to red tape legislation. Small project would take around an average timescale of 2 years to complete
Cons
Not an effective management structure
great place to work
refuge collector (Former Employee) –  warwick23 July 2015
lots of walking and cycling talking to lots of people on route stopping at shops for a drink and food. management was great co-workers where great the hardest bit was walking up big drives.most enjoyable part was going to the tip with the driver
Productive and supportive Enviroment
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Warwick30 March 2015
Office Admin work and learning new and adapting skills to improve my quality of work
working with friendly and supportive colleagues
Working with young people
Pros
Making connections
Cons
emotionally demanding
Making a little go a long way
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Warwick, ENG28 October 2014
Working in very large open plan office in a block built in the 1970s.

Austerity and cutbacks in Local Government spending are prompting managers to look at innovative solutions to maintain customer service levels while driving down costs.
Pros
Recognised as a model of national best practice: speaking events, national conferences, awards
Cons
Shrinking resources, never-ending cutbacks
Professional and Open
Passenger Transport Officer (Current Employee) –  Warwick23 July 2013
A typical day at work would include allocating children to services, printing or ordering their passes and sending them out. In addition to this, complaints and queries would be dealt with via telephone, email, letter and Twitter. Databases would also need maintaining and updating on a daily basis. I learnt the importance of prioritisation, how to work under pressure, treating each customer equally and calmly and how to use a new piece of software known as Routewise. The management were there without interfering too much but also approachable. Co workers were very hard working, accommodating, jovial and polite. The hardest part of the job is trying to finish admin work whilst manning the telephones and answering queries for the public. The most enjoyable part of the job is finishing a task that has taken a long time due to the complexity and also the co workers.