WARWICKSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL Employee Reviews

Fun
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Leamington Spa, Warwickshire21 April 2018
Poor management and organisation. There was very little structure. The pay was good. Little communication between management and lower staff. No job protection during privatisation.
some schools need to sort out their leadership
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Nuneaton, Warwickshire4 April 2018
sadly one school that i worked in had very bad leadership and due to bullying by this leadership, i was destroyed by them. I nearly left the profession because of them!
Busy and productive
Trainer (Former Employee) –  Warwick27 March 2018
Typical day would involved working with telephone/email/live chat enquiries from the residents of Warwickshire. Learnt the make up of local government and how and what services are delivered to the customer. Improved working within the team with a diverse work force. Workplace culture is not always productive and can be stuck in we have always done it this way. However working for Warwickshire County Council has been great with fair pay for the roles that have been completed and would recommend them as an employer.
Pros
Pension and working hours
Cons
Dinosaur ways
A proffessional, inspiring and passionate place to work
Warks (Current Employee) –  Warks21 February 2018
I have worked here for 9 years and enjoyed every minute. I have gained a wealth of experiences and made some long term friendships.
The school provided a wealth of ecperience and support throughout my time spent.
I gained various qualifications where i then used in my working life on a daily basis.
Meeting the needs of Warwickshire Residents
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Nuneaton, Warwickshire12 February 2018
Local Authority workplace working hard to meet the needs of its residents. A diverse place to work with locations throughout the County. Opportunities for career progression with hard work.
Pros
Providing a service
Excellent
Teaching Assistant Level 3 (Former Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands23 January 2018
As part of the local authority, and working in a junior school, I have been given appropriate training and responsibilities. Good working environment.
Left me with nothing to do
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Nuneaton, Warwickshire10 January 2018
I was one of 3 new people within the business and they left me nothing to do just sit there whilst they gave the other apprentice all the work. Made me feel very unwelcome and i regret applying for here. No matter who id ask for work they wouldn't give me anything to do. I resigned without gaining my qualification.
Also felt unprofessional as people round the office wear joggers, leggings and jeans.
Pros
Claim back expenses. Wore whatever clothes.
Cons
Poor management, poor work ethic, talking about service users in a bad way within the office.
Very happy place to work
School Dinner Lady (Former Employee) –  Nuneaton2 January 2018
Make the childrens lunch in the morning ,serve the lunches,prep and tidy up for the next day.
learned to make sure food was safely cooked and portion control followed.Management where very fair and a good environment.
Hardest part of the job was making sure everything was out and on time.It was great seeing the childrens faces enjoying there lunch .
Pros
free lunches and working with the children.
productive
Administration Officer (Current Employee) –  Warwickshire9 November 2017
productive and good environment which allows me to experience a working environment and enables me to acquire many useful skills such as working as a team and liaising with others such Social Workers and Solicitors
Very rewarding job
Gardener (Former Employee) –  LeamingtonSpa23 October 2017
General maintenance of gardens to a very high standard, team work meant all pulling in the right direction, excellent manager all ways willing to help, great group of staff, trying to get all the work in done time, looking at the finished work and praise from the public.
Pros
Free plants through the year.
Cons
Very long hours in the summer months.
Challenging and rewarding
Foster Carer (Current Employee) –  Warwickshire19 October 2017
Like most companies, it has its ups and downs. If your job is more important than the company you work for then it's not an issue. Job security seems to be its greatest asset.
Varied and challenging role
Programme Administrator (part time) (Former Employee) –  Warwick, Warwickshire2 October 2017
I supported a new Learning Management Service and enjoyed working as part of a busy administrative team. Every day brought variety and an opportunity to support others with their learning journeys.
Pros
Open office environment
satisfying
Assistant Nursery Nurse (Former Employee) –  Rugby1 October 2017
good to work and feel productive and satisfied with the job
fair and easy to communicate with if any problems
always approachable
enjoyed working in a school and being with the children
Very busy quiet heads down ethos
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Warwick21 September 2017
Naff management does not support new staff with personal problems very well very autocratic work you to the bone every second pay isnt great

Long term staff unwelcoming and unfriendly
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
Autocratic
Very Flexible
Pensions Officer - Membership Team (Former Employee) –  Warwickshire7 September 2017
This is a good place to work. Flexible hours, parking available, multiple locations, job security, good pension options, good work life balance and much more.
Role
Personnel & Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warwick, Warwickshire5 September 2017
I am a dedicated, conscientious and efficient worker with a flexible outgoing manner. Hard working, reliable and able to communicate at all levels. I also have the ability to work as part of a team or individually. I am adaptable and willing to take on new challenges to succeed in my career.
Small office
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rugby31 August 2017
Very busy place to work. Could be demanding at times. Most of the workforce were enjoyable to work with, but some not so good. Pay was better than other companies and hours were very flexible.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Could get very busy
Great flexible working culture, supportive colleagues, excellent training
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Warwick, Warwickshire9 August 2017
(I work full-time on a 'Modern Flexible Working contract - https://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/modernandflexible - typically this is 8ish until 4ish Mon-Fri)

Warwickshire County Council (often shortened to WCC) invests heavily in their employees, I for one have the opportunity to undertake a funded CIPD course which many private organisations wouldn't (in my experience). They recognise investment in developing staff to benefit the people of Warwickshire, which is a lovely motivation and you feel a huge sense of community and support amongst colleagues. They have a broad programme of face to face and e-learning training for their staff (with sessions outside of the normal included, such as mindfulness).

The salaries are not necessarily competitive (but sometimes are) in comparison to private sector, however their flexible working culture is exceptional in my eyes. My role allows for regular home working each week, autonomy on start/finish/break times, use of Google for email/communication (which makes collaborative working really easy when working remotely) but above all, I've not yet experienced any judgement when you start or leave at non-traditional times. The collateral lifestyle benefits and well supported work-life balance motivates me to work diligently and productively in the time I am there, I'll often do bits of work outside of 'traditional' hours because I've had the chance to take breaks during the day to achieve personal needs. For example, I am training to run in a half marathon, and am able to run during the day at a time that suits me. More than money, it's
  more... this that truly makes me enjoy my work even in tough climates of resource challenges. This, along with the training opportunities, makes WCC one of the best places I have ever worked.

There are many employees with extremely long tenure (10+ years) who, in majority, have undertaken a wide variety of roles, demonstrating to me that progression and development are high on WCC's priorities. Whatever your profession, be it admin, customer service, IT, engineering, project management, and at any seniority level, you can find opportunities to work in Social Care, Transport and Economy, HR, Finance, even Fire and Rescue - the beauty of working for a local authority is the diversity of the areas within which you can work.

In Warwick they have several buildings, one has very recently had a modern canteen built which serves well-priced handmade food (I often see them making the quiches in the morning whenever I am over there) and the staff are absolutely lovely.

Car parking can always be contentious wherever you work, but of everywhere I've worked, WCC provides the most extensive. They have a multi-storey under the Barrack Street office and an extensive car park at Cape Road. This is all free providing you have a parking permit to display (I got mine on my first day). Get to Barrack Street before 8 for a space, at Cape Road you could push it to 8:45am. There is a car sharing 'deck 'to Barrack Street multi-storey that allows anyone to park there (who isn't car sharing) after 10am if there are still free spaces (which there often is)

The worst park about working at WCC? We have to constantly monitor where we can make savings which can cause a stretch in resource, but it certainly teaches you how to be frugal, and everyone is keen to take care of each other when workloads are high. They operate a staff care service, free to their employees. Plus, as this is not a new concept for local authorities to manage, they are well experienced and equipped to deal with it. If ever you're going to face money challenges and the impact of that, the culture at WCC is the one to do it in.
Pros
Modern flexible working, supportive colleagues and managers, training opportunities
Great environment to be in!
Senior Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Warwickshire12 July 2017
Really enjoy the job culture of working within this county council. The people in the job are amazing people to be around and people are always on the move and doing something.
Productive and Supportive
Apprentice Family Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Warwick, Warwickshire10 July 2017
Everyone is so supportive and help you in any way possible.
You are taught how to balance everything properly and efficiently.
No work is expected of you out of working hours.