Warrens Bakery Employee Reviews

tragic.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Redruth, Cornwall17 July 2019
Please, don’t work here unless you want to get emotionally abused by management and get spoken to like you are completely daft and don’t know anything. I’ve lost all my brain cells working here, absolutely appalling. Also they lie about your hourly rate on the job advert...
Pros
Leaving
Cons
High expectations
Awful Experience
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Soutwest10 July 2019
I absolutely hated working for this place! Ridiculous hours, ridiculous pay and terrible management which was so stretched out across shops that my shop was never looked at. I had little to no training! Equipment was so old that it started to fall apart. To top it all off there was no consideration for what was going on outside of work. You feel like the company doesn't trust you as you are continously watched.. Do not work here!
Pros
Absolutely nothing.
Cons
Long hours, rubbish pay and lack of stability.
Don't ever work here
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon1 July 2019
All of the staff and supervisors gossip about you behind your back. Rumours going around about you constantly, as I've experienced first hand.
Absolutely awful hours.
No one really cares about you.
I was constantly bullied by one of the managers, but was too scared to say anything as I knew nothing would have been done about it, nor would anyone have believed me. This bullying continued for around 6 months and almost made me leave as a result of it - I did not want to come into work and I would leave work crying.
They threaten you with disciplinary action if you don't do something they need you to.
Awful pay.
Awful experience.

AVOID at all costs - don't even bother.
Pros
The other staff as long as they aren't the ones gossiping about you
Comfortable
Shop floor assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrow, Greater London30 April 2019
Flexible with my hours and it inst a very demanding job. Very nice work environment. Hardest par of the hob was to go outside shouting at the end of the day as it was out of my comfort zone. Other from that it was great.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
People under 18 get paid very little
Productive and fun job but
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  England21 April 2019
Job itself is productive and fun but I don't think I would recommend people to work at this place. Please read other reviews and consider before you apply.
Not a permanent job would be good for a first timer
Team member (Former Employee) –  Worthing, West Sussex14 March 2019
Team is great as the Worthing store all helpful and looking out for each other when ever it’s busy making sure no one is left struggling. However the negatives of the job are that the pay is pretty poor in comparison to other similar roles in the local area that are available, contracts are given on a zero hour basis meaning hours can be all over the place some weeks getting over 50 and others under 20 the issue being some of the days you are working can be 10-11.5 hour days and then you can be in the next day at 6:30 meaning you go home exshausted and become easily hit by illness due to fatigue ,breaks are short meaning getting food and drink can be a struggle at times.The only other downside I would say about warrens is at the times the management is poor, being late to open the shop in the morning, not leading by example and in general just managing the team poorly resulting in low moral and team constantly looking for new jobs and not enjoying thier work.

This job would be be perfect for a 16-17 year old however I would not recommend for anyone looking to build a career.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Pay, hours, management, poor discount and just not a job for anyone looking for a career
Friendly people but bad managment
Customer assistant (Former Employee) –  Yeovil13 March 2019
At the time I was working there it was a franchise and management was terrible. the store manager was lovely but it was her bosses who were not. the store is now owned by warrens and is no longer a franchise and has lovely managers and lovely staff.
Pros
friendly people, easy job, discount
Cons
bad bosses and not great pay
Disappointing to work for.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  South East12 March 2019
Premises were refurbished for new opening, but no dishwasher, no public WC and no decent staff area/ new toilet etc included. Shop front made to look shiny, but that was as far as it went. Prices too high for the mass produced frozen food sold, and having to pay for a bit of sauce to go with a pasty is disgusting. I left because I did not believe in what I was being asked to sell. Horrendous micro management by cctv which is always on - once had a manager phone from 200 miles away to tell a colleague to remove their watch ! It is pitched as a traditional bakery, when it is actually only the name which is. It is part of a bigger retail group which are interested in profit. Our store manager was lovely, but even she left !
Pros
Lovely store manager, lovely customers
Cons
All show and no integrity
Bad place to work
Team member (Former Employee) –  Worthing, West Sussex5 March 2019
The worthing store has the worst management ive experienced, you dont get breaks, they dont support you at all and staff dont make you feel comfortable working there
Cons
it was grate place to work i definitely recommed it
Bakery assistant (Current Employee) –  Battersea9 February 2019
• Part of my role was to help to deliver a perfect costumer service
• Upsell products
• Making coffees
• Closing the premises
• Helped with the next day prep.
Pros
yes they let you have free lunch
Cons
at times it will be not much custermers
Will cause depression.
Bakery Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Just in Penwith ED28 January 2019
The companies motto is make as much money as possible. This is done mainly through exploiting staff, any and every opportunity to pinch a penny from the staff is taken. The promotion opportunities run mainly on sucking up to managers to gain any kind of recognition, this can be achieved by giving up your entire life to do what they ask, and the supervisors I worked alongside were mainly 2 faced gossip mongers.
Pros
The company is 160 years old
Cons
So is the buisness structure and wages
Terrible pay, not enough hours and very poor management
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London24 January 2019
This is the most tedious, boring and poorly run job around. I highly recommend that you give warrens a miss as the pay is a joke, the hours are rubbish and the management is horrendous. Whenever they mess something up they will accuse their employees and you are expected to work at your very best when working less than minimum wage. I’m almost 18 and I’m on £4 an hour. Find somewhere else...
Pros
Cons
Not enough pay, hours. No respect or trust and the most tedious job around
Awful
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hampshire14 January 2019
Rude management, disorganised, lots of finger pointing. Dirty, stale food, hours not truthful to job adverts. Management stamp on anyone to get where they want.
Pros
Discount
Cons
rubbish managment, lying on hours, managers change there hours when in late to suit them
Do Not Work Here!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire12 December 2018
when I had my interview, I was told I would at least have a certain amount of hours i.e family friendly however that wasn't the case. I was not paid correctly the first and second month. I was seriously underpaid. The staff were friendly and helped with training but not once was trained by higher management. The basic stuff like fire exits were never told. They get rid of you faster than they hire you! They said they would sort your wages out however they haven't and it's getting taken further as we speak but not by Warren's Bakery. I don't think this company is very family friendly as they say. The management point blank ignore your messages unless they want you to work. They got rid of me on a group chat and didn't even tell me. I had to mention it myself and my reply from them was "we no longer need you". i.e, it was a 0 hour however there is certain rules in place where if you work with a company over a month. they have to give you a week notice, which they failed to comply with. It's a nice place to work in, just the management are poor! I can only speak for myself but my time there I was noticing more people leave than staying i.e getting sacked! I personally wouldn't apply here but that's my experience. However I know a couple others this has happened to at the location I was at. They shouldn't be able to get away with not paying staff their money they have worked for!
Pros
Ex-employees helping training new staff
Cons
Management and not getting paid properly
Good work life balance
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Cornwall4 December 2018
Good work life balance because of the store opening times
Salary is not competitive and bonus scheme is confusing
Enjoyable work because of freedom to implement ideas to increase sales
I enjoy my work a lot but just wish the pay was a bit better
Pros
work life balance
Cons
cutting team hours over winter
horrible
Cook/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Southampton14 October 2018
They underpay you, so you always have to write you're hours down and complain when you haven't been paid enough. They always don't give you any breaks, but if they do its 5/10 minutes in a 8 hour shift when you're entitled to a half an hour break. Not recommended.
Pros
1 free drink throughout work
Poor place to work
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon7 October 2018
Poor communication in management, higher management don't care about you, Shop employees treated with no respect most of the time by higher management and telling shop employees they are nothing important to the company etc, Don't keep things confidential, I told the manager something confidential about 2/3 weeks later I was helping out in a other shop and the manager of the other shop I was helping out in for the day knew about the confidential thing I told the manager. And when put in a complaint about it all the complaint only get to the higher managers and nothing gets done.

learn a lot working at warrens

hardest part of the job ~ going in

most enjoyable put of the job ~ the friends I made
Pros
going home at the end
Cons
going in/management don't care about you
Awful place to work
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gosport, Hampshire4 October 2018
Such an awful place to work, under managed by pretty much everyone within the company.. no respect for staff no matter your age. Even 16-17 year olds that are employed are treated poorly Constant moaning/bickering from managers. Unfresh food served and expected to just serve it. How no one has got ill yet I don’t know 😩 avoid at all costs. And as a customer AVOID
Pros
Cons
Everything the whole company’s a con
Great team
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Paignton, Devon21 June 2018
Store manager and team were great. Learnt alot.
Training was excellent. Pay not so good. Gave me lots of confiedence in my abilities ........
...................
Pros
Good manaement
Cons
Pay
Terrible
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Devon11 June 2018
When working at warrens you are expected (if younger and part-time) to basically do everything that the hiring up employees don’t want to do. The area mangers are rude and watch through a camera to see what is happening in the shop and if there is not enough pasty and sausage rolls will ring the shop but if there are to many (I.e on waste at the end of day) will ring up and complain, so you basically cannot win. Also there is a compulsory task at the end of day to shout as loud as you can ‘reduced pasty’s, sandwich’s and cakes’ which is very embarrassing especially if you are located in the middle of a city centre. This I refused to do as 1. Wasn’t briefed about this in the interview 2.Found it humiliating 3. When telling them I wouldn’t be doing that was ment with not very nice replies. The only good thing is that employees who aren’t the assiant manger or manger are generally really nice people.