WALSALL COLLEGE

WALSALL COLLEGE Employee Reviews

I worked at Walsall college from 2006 to 2019 as a Learning Mentor. This is a role which requires dedication and patience when working with students. I had very supportive management and supervisors. Everyday was different and I learned many new skills and gained new knowledge constantly. It could be stressful at times with challenging students. Confidence is vital in this role which helped me to overcome some situations. It was a pleasure to see students I worked with to move on and progress to new courses or jobs. The job satisfaction element was very high. I worked with a brilliant team and my work colleagues were an amazing group of people. I made some fantastic friends and shall always remain in contact with them. I worked with students with a variety of additional support needs and mainstream too. Most of the tutors are absolutely awesome to work with but you have to play your part on developing all your working relationships. You get out what you put in. I have no hesitation in recommending Walsall College as a place to work. In fact if I ever get the opportunity to go back would do so in a heartbeat!
Pros
Maybe salary could be improved
Cons
None that I can think of
It was really good as a student I loved going there friendly staff and lovely students too it has a big working spacious building so it's never too cramped or nothing.
A rewarding place to work, but demands on staff are high and you are expected to work well beyond your hours and job description. Management are largely out of touch with the challenges staff on the ground face with growing student issues.
Management have no people skills, poor leadership qualities and they do not value their staff! An awful place to work, I'm afraid it's all about money not people! Steer well clear!
such a lovely work atmosphere.No two days are the same.Each day is filled with positive situations and productivity.It has an amazing work/life balance and is a great place to work.
I am a cleaner my roles are hovering mopping reception area , cleaning toilets ,using a scrubber dryer machine in a kitchen area the hardest part is using the machine the enjoyable part is working along side the other cleaners
Interview process was quick although they require a lot of pre-employment checks before they can give you a start date but overall a good place to work with friendly people.
Management is poor its not what you know its who you know very much hierachy based environment work your bottom off and no thanks or acknowledgement so much bullying between staff it was awful to witness people bullying others I say Avoid this employer at all costs that is my firm view and the view of many but they stay for the pension only!! Oh and lots of half term and free days off due to college closed days which are paid but this is no reason to stay in a awful environment best thing I did was leave for my mental well being
I studied a year in beauty and really enjoyed it but I decided to move to hair because I thought it was more my element , such as interacting more with the clients , in hair you like to communicate a lot with the client , however beauty it’s a more quite industry as it’s a calm working area where people come to relax
I had a good experience working at Walsall College. Good team,hard working and ready to help.I learned a lot here.Great facilities and great teachers.
Loved the teachers , the work itself was fulfilling . I had a good experience working at the teaching company. Good team and very hard working and ready to help.I learned a lot here.
I would recommend an apprenticeship over Walsall college as youd learn more more on a job site and you will be getting paid and if you need any qualifications you can get them there aswell
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
Not much learning
I am enjoying Walsall college and have been there for almost a year now, however I am looking to move on and the best way forward for that would be to get an apprenticeship
Pros
Learn new things and meet different people
Cons
Have too much time spare when not in college
Good Place to Work, staff are friendly. Outstanding Further education College. Excellent location near town centre and the train station. Good modern building
Pros
Local
Cons
Short Contracts
A building full of excellent lecturers, great facilities and support staff. All seem to go above and beyond and the student is definitely always at the centre of everything. However it is an intensely stressful environment at times, very demanding on teaching staff and hours can be long as staff work so hard to go the extra mile for learners. Management can sometimes seem alittle out of touch of frontline delivery although they are clearly efficient at running the college financially and meeting government policy.
Pros
Excellent teaching, facilities, reputation and quality of education.
Cons
Little room for promotion or career development for lecturers, Work life balance is hard, there is an expectation for all staff to regularly do over hours at parents evenings, open evenings, trips and events.
I am at Walsall college 3 days out of the week, Monday ,Wednesday and Thursday. On Tuesday and Friday I do work experience at hydesville school in walsall.
I currently work in the college salon on Saturdays, a typical day includes, checking what clients i have booked in for treatments that day and carrying out those treatments. When i work on a Saturday i often learn how to do different treatments and i get to practice skills I've learned on other people in the salon. I currently report to the beauty therapist manager. I work in a professional environment where good customer service is extremely important and treatments are expected to be carried out at a high standard. I have already built up a small client base of returning customers. The hardest part of the job is remembering all the steps to each treatment, there can be up to 20 steps. The most enjoyabe part of the job is seeing a customer happy with their treatment and learning new skills.
Pros
Meeting the public, learning new skills.
Cons
Unpaid work
You just need to find the right course to enjoy it, i engoy it but i wish i chose a different course. Tutors are friendly but its a big place and easily get lost.
Pros
Passes time
Cons
Expensive for kits n equiptment
I would personally not work here again. Rude manager, terrible organisation of the company. The staff were also rude to students who came for help. would not waste your time by going for a job at this place.
Pros
holidays
Cons
Rude staff
I spent time here for work experience and the staff were very helpful and appreciative and always made sure that I had tasks to perform for them. I helped out within the marketing office and I also helped staff to induct new students into Walsall College. Tasks in the office ranged from making a PowerPoint presentation to stapling and photocopying.
Fixing computer towers using Tool box to open them up and close them then checking to see if they work.listening to other students and employer to get on with the task or if i need help i ask a colleague to help me out with maintaining the computer.
Pros
At 1:30 free meals
  1. Employee reviews