WALSALL COLLEGE Employee Reviews

It's a case of who you know not what you know here Awful workplace
Contracts & Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Walsall12 November 2019
Management is poor its not what you know its who you know very much hierachy based environment work your bottom off and no thanks or acknowledgement so much bullying between staff it was awful to witness people bullying others I say Avoid this employer at all costs that is my firm view and the view of many but they stay for the pension only!! Oh and lots of half term and free days off due to college closed days which are paid but this is no reason to stay in a awful environment best thing I did was leave for my mental well being
Productive ,fun workplace and Great learning environment
Sessional ICT Lecturer (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Littleton St W, Walsall WS2 8ES15 August 2019
I had a good experience working at Walsall College. Good team,hard working and ready to help.I learned a lot here.Great facilities and great teachers.
fun workplace
Volunteer Teacher (Current Employee) –  Walsall2 August 2019
Loved the teachers , the work itself was fulfilling . I had a good experience working at the teaching company. Good team and very hard working and ready to help.I learned a lot here.
Ok place to study
Student (Former Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands10 June 2019
I would recommend an apprenticeship over Walsall college as youd learn more more on a job site and you will be getting paid and if you need any qualifications you can get them there aswell
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
Not much learning
Good place to work around
College (Current Employee) –  West Midlands3 June 2019
I am enjoying Walsall college and have been there for almost a year now, however I am looking to move on and the best way forward for that would be to get an apprenticeship
Pros
Learn new things and meet different people
Cons
Have too much time spare when not in college
Industry Placement Officer (Current Employee) –  Walsall College16 April 2019
Good Place to Work, staff are friendly. Outstanding Further education College.

Excellent location near town centre and the train station.

Good modern building
Pros
Local
Cons
Short Contracts
The best college in the midlands
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Academic11 February 2019
A building full of excellent lecturers, great facilities and support staff. All seem to go above and beyond and the student is definitely always at the centre of everything. However it is an intensely stressful environment at times, very demanding on teaching staff and hours can be long as staff work so hard to go the extra mile for learners. Management can sometimes seem alittle out of touch of frontline delivery although they are clearly efficient at running the college financially and meeting government policy.
Pros
Excellent teaching, facilities, reputation and quality of education.
Cons
Little room for promotion or career development for lecturers, Work life balance is hard, there is an expectation for all staff to regularly do over hours at parents evenings, open evenings, trips and events.
give good work experience
Student (Former Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands23 February 2018
I am at Walsall college 3 days out of the week, Monday ,Wednesday and Thursday. On Tuesday and Friday I do work experience at hydesville school in walsall.
Great learning environment
Beauty Therapist student (Current Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands15 January 2018
I currently work in the college salon on Saturdays, a typical day includes, checking what clients i have booked in for treatments that day and carrying out those treatments. When i work on a Saturday i often learn how to do different treatments and i get to practice skills I've learned on other people in the salon.

I currently report to the beauty therapist manager.

I work in a professional environment where good customer service is extremely important and treatments are expected to be carried out at a high standard. I have already built up a small client base of returning customers.

The hardest part of the job is remembering all the steps to each treatment, there can be up to 20 steps.

The most enjoyabe part of the job is seeing a customer happy with their treatment and learning new skills.
Pros
Meeting the public, learning new skills.
Cons
Unpaid work
Fun workplace learn loads.
Beauty Therapist (Current Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands6 November 2017
You just need to find the right course to enjoy it, i engoy it but i wish i chose a different course. Tutors are friendly but its a big place and easily get lost.
Pros
Passes time
Cons
Expensive for kits n equiptment
Productive but very under staffed
Finance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands3 November 2017
I would personally not work here again. Rude manager, terrible organisation of the company. The staff were also rude to students who came for help. would not waste your time by going for a job at this place.
Pros
holidays
Cons
Rude staff
Fun, relaxed and helpful
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Walsall17 July 2017
I spent time here for work experience and the staff were very helpful and appreciative and always made sure that I had tasks to perform for them. I helped out within the marketing office and I also helped staff to induct new students into Walsall College. Tasks in the office ranged from making a PowerPoint presentation to stapling and photocopying.
Computer technician
Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands29 June 2017
Fixing computer towers using Tool box to open them up and close them then checking to see if they work.listening to other students and employer to get on with the task or if i need help i ask a colleague to help me out with maintaining the computer.
Pros
At 1:30 free meals
fun and gained more experience
Fundraising Project Leader (Former Employee) –  West Midlands8 June 2017
During the project, I lead a small team to promote fundraising activities within the college. I collaborated with a local charity to raise awareness in the community by giving out leaflets and discussing causes with members of the public, staff and students . I leveraged existing platforms within the college to maximise exposure and to give our team the best chance of raising as much funds as possible.
Pros
More work experience
Cons
Many years ago and company was undergoing massive restructure
Language Centre Resource Officer (Former Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands2 June 2017
I enjoyed working for Walsall College and met some really great staff but the company was undergoing massive restructure when I worked there and will be completely different now.
Intresting
Beautician (Former Employee) –  Walsall29 April 2017
I loved working and studying inside a fast pacing Salon, meeting different people everyday was nice and learning to do something in which I'm very interested in and enjoyed doing.
good work place
Nursery Assistant Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Walsall28 March 2017
Fun to be a part of. A friendly warm environment that's family orientated. Caring staff and management members. Free to come up with your own ideas for activities for the children.
fine
Cleaner Operative (Former Employee) –  Walsall24 February 2017
cleaning a building site.management were fine.always there if needed. hardest part was cleaning up filth and grime all day long enjoyable was going home at the end of the day to have a bath
Not very good
Music Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands18 February 2017
It really isn't very good. what else do you want me to say. It is not very good at all. At all. Not Good. Naff, infact. Based around the idea that money talks
Distance Learning Tutor (Current Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands6 February 2017
I work as a distance learning tutor assessing Understanding Nutrition and Health coursework. There seems to be a slowdown in NH work which is no fault of the college so I am in the process of completing a level 2 qualification in dementia care which will allow me to assess learners enrolled on this course and also further my personal development.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Not enough work