Wakefield Council

Wakefield Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom85 reviews
Enjoy my job but communication needs working on .
Good pay . Be prepared to be passed around when first start ..But this adds to different experiences you come across .Nice to meet different people . Plenty of courses to do while doing your job.
Soul Destroying Work
Soul Destroying call centre work. Non stop all day. All complaints, no one is ever nice when they call the council as it's always because they need to complain about the shoddy services of Wakefield Council.

You will be verbally abused by societies worst on a daily basis. Honestly, don't make yourself this unhappy. Work somewhere else.
Forward thinking
I have worked for several different local authorities and statutory bodies and this is one of the best organisations i have ever worked for. There is not a high staff turnover and the staff team in general are quite young and forward thinking.
Review
helpful team members who were supportive given the severe lack of resources experienced by all Councils. Managing volumes of work to try and deal with larger problems where possible could be difficult at times due mainly to limited resources.
Do not value staff
There’s a lot of micro-management and no scope for initiative, no prospects and very low comparative pay would not recommend working here as there’s no extra benefits to make up for the low pay
Social worker child protection
I would not recommend Wakefield as a place to work to other social workers. I worked for Wakefield for five years during this time we had extremely high caseloads with very little support. All staff felt completely unsupported. When this was addressed we was advised by management that it is just the nature of social work, so much so I know people who left the profession and also considered changing profession. I have since joined another LA AND enjoy my job.
Staff very clicks and unhelpful
Not very nice place to work, trained me up then as I was agency just let me go, waste of my time and waste of their money
I worked hard with little help to learn everything then told me they were fully staffed so I wasn’t needed total waste of my time learning it all for nothing

Surely you should know if you are fully staffed or not, said it would be a long term placement
Great department to work in - Economic Development!
Everyone from the senior management right through to the cleaners who work here were all fantastic. It was a great place to work and gave me the job satisfaction which others jobs have failed to do. In Economic Development, specifically, the team are dynamic in their approach and operate like the private sector. They really do want to make a genuine difference within the locally economy.
Thanks for the support whilst in your employ, Wakefield Council.
Has it’s ups and downs
As with most work places, working for Wakefield Council in a school has it’s pros and cons. Although the wage is low for the hours worked, the job itself is very rewarding.
Wakefield Council is a good organisation to work for.
Working in a school role is an ideal job when you have children of school age.

Wakefield Council offer good rates of pay and a good holiday entitlement.
A good place to work
This was a good place to work. I have worked here twice in 2 different IT contracts. Both were for project support supporting desktop and laptop roll out projects.
supportive workplace
Wakefield Council are low paid and few benefits are on offer. All extra training has disappeared for HLTA's and TA's. The school I work in very supportive though is heavily resticted by budget cuts. The children make the job enjoyable. The lack of funds makes the job very difficult at times
Cons
long unpaid hours
Good and supportive colleagues but extremely poor management
I worked for Wakefield Council for a considerable number of years. For most of that time it was ok but then managers left and the new management did not treat staff with any respect whatsoever. I was pulled out of my role on several occasions into roles that were not what I wanted to do. The work pressures put on me by my managers were far too much and managers did nothing to help alleviate the stress I was obviously under. This caused me to leave Wakefield Council due to work related stress/anxiety. My managers showed no sympathy whatsoever that their actions had caused me to leave work after all those years.
Pros
Interesting work and nice colleagues
Cons
Extremely poor and uncaring management
One rule for one another for everyone else
I've been in and out of employment with Wakefield Council for sometime now.

Managers are a disgrace and like to gang up on their employees, never missing a chance to enter a meeting unrelated to them to kill some time. Managers openly discuss employee's at their desks despite the office being open-plan.

If you're every sick at Wakefield Council make sure you don't just ring in for one day as they count occurrences not days here.

When discussing health problems with your managers or senior manager make sure you keep it confidential, they don't have to know no matter how much they're hounding you.

When I was on sick my manager and senior manager would often phone me despite me already ringing in sick, quite clearly because they didn't believe me. They'd request information from my GP making me re-visit GPs despite just going.

The phone calls were relentless as if they were trying to catch me out or something despite me genuinely being ill.

I had disclosed that I suffer from a number of problems and stated this when joining and had multiple discussions between me and my line manager.

Even when I returned to work they'd still request sick notes up until the point I decided to Union involved, then they all of a sudden decided my 3 DAY! sickness was actually legit and stopped asking questions.

Had numerous problems when starting up...

Work load will never be reduced even if you complain to your manager, managers like to book and attend as many meetings as possible to avoid work. Often was left by myself to answer phones in a team of a dozen.
Pros
Benefits / Apprenticeship System
Cons
Managers group together to bully employees out
enjoyable and fun training
we went out to Castleford to engage with youth who were classed as vulnerable and potentially problematic with ASB, we then went back to the Hut to review what we had witnessed and what we spoke about to the youth
Pros
free drinks
Cons
no transport if going out on our own
Productive & great workplace culture
Great team, very supportive and helpful. Great learning environment for students. Felt appreciated and a part of the team. Lots of learning opportunities.
Some great teams but systems need improving
Team are supportive however the systems/ procedures in place needs much improvements.

The current climate is high pressured due to the rapid changes.
Pros
team work
Cons
pressures
Good work place
Overall a good place to work.
Good lifestyle balance.

Keep your head down and get on with your work and you will be fine.

A good bunch of colleague's to work with and management ok .. had worse.

Once you are in with the council, you can apply for internal posts too which come up regular
Pros
Good worklife balance
Cons
Flexi shifts
Worked for Wakefield Cuncil for 3 years, 1 as an apprentice and 2 for Health Improvement.
When I first joined Wakefield Council I joined as an Apprentice in the Public Health team, this was a really rewarding experience and I enjoyed my time at Wakefield Council up until the point I switched teams to Health Improvement.

There were constant problems including problems with recording sickness, pay & poor communication between staff and management.

Most of their employees are nice and well educated people however there is a lot of discussion about Employees between Management. Felt like my problems were never between me and my line management as other colleagues unrelated to our team knew about personal issues.

Never accept a role within this department if they off you "Career Graded Pay" this is something they do to young new comers that allows them to pay you less for the work you do up until they decide you deserve more, I was waiting around 2 years for this. I was on career grade because I wasn't qualified enough for my role, despite passing my Apprenticeship. They did not further my education whilst there or even keep record of when upcoming Career Graded Pay meetings were due.

Management is okay but has various problems internally, the most senior manager suffers a weight problem however likes to publicly bully/educate others on what they're eating. Team is very talkative and doesn't work well together. Often felt isolated at work as Management wouldn't interact with me, waited 6 months before I complained about this... This was some how my fault even though the same manager had other 1:1's with Employees during this time.

In summary: Do not work
 - more...
Pros
Leaving Work
Cons
Too much communication when on Sick.
Too many chiefs not enough indians
Lovely team of hardworking people,very helpful towards each other,in fact if it wasn't for the team helping each other then customer service would collapse because they employ team leaders that can't answer a question you ask because they don't know the system!!what a joke!!they have been there that long that they think it's ok to talk to people like trash! They don't have a training program in place it's a case of what shall we cover today!my advice would be to get rid of the team leaders that are literally getting paid for nothing (not all of them are bad),and look after the team they've got.Lucky escape I reckon when I jumped ship.
Pros
Can't think of one
Cons
Rubbish shifts
Electrical Engineering
Excellent Job, I met all my deadlines and tasks got completed to a high standard. overall the company was happy with the electrical work I had done for them.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Long Hours
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wakefield Council. Our community is ready to answer.