WAKEFIELD COUNCIL Employee Reviews

Worked for Wakefield Cuncil for 3 years, 1 as an apprentice and 2 for Health Improvement.
Business Information Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire15 October 2018
When I first joined Wakefield Council I joined as an Apprentice in the Public Health team, this was a really rewarding experience and I enjoyed my time at Wakefield Council up until the point I switched teams to Health Improvement.

There were constant problems including problems with recording sickness, pay & poor communication between staff and management.

Most of their employees are nice and well educated people however there is a lot of discussion about Employees between Management. Felt like my problems were never between me and my line management as other colleagues unrelated to our team knew about personal issues.

Never accept a role within this department if they off you "Career Graded Pay" this is something they do to young new comers that allows them to pay you less for the work you do up until they decide you deserve more, I was waiting around 2 years for this. I was on career grade because I wasn't qualified enough for my role, despite passing my Apprenticeship. They did not further my education whilst there or even keep record of when upcoming Career Graded Pay meetings were due.

Management is okay but has various problems internally, the most senior manager suffers a weight problem however likes to publicly bully/educate others on what they're eating. Team is very talkative and doesn't work well together. Often felt isolated at work as Management wouldn't interact with me, waited 6 months before I complained about this... This was some how my fault even though the same manager had other 1:1's with Employees during this time.

In summary: Do not work
  more... here especially if you have something they can exploit... for me this was my young age and lack of knowledge around procedures & such. Most of the Council is fine however you do get certain teams like this.

If you have a job here always attend meetings with Union reps.
Pros
Leaving Work
Cons
Too much communication when on Sick.
Too many chiefs not enough indians
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Wakefield one29 September 2018
Lovely team of hardworking people,very helpful towards each other,in fact if it wasn't for the team helping each other then customer service would collapse because they employ team leaders that can't answer a question you ask because they don't know the system!!what a joke!!they have been there that long that they think it's ok to talk to people like trash! They don't have a training program in place it's a case of what shall we cover today!my advice would be to get rid of the team leaders that are literally getting paid for nothing (not all of them are bad),and look after the team they've got.Lucky escape I reckon when I jumped ship.
Pros
Can't think of one
Cons
Rubbish shifts
Electrical Engineering
George Barker Refrigeration (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire28 August 2018
Excellent Job, I met all my deadlines and tasks got completed to a high standard. overall the company was happy with the electrical work I had done for them.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Long Hours
Active and fun workplace
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire24 July 2018
Very understanding members of staff, always feel included and part of the team.
All opinions and suggestions are welcomed and reviewed
Work includes being in the office as well as out and about which is fantastic
Very dynamic workplace
Good staff but senior management are a disgrace
Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire24 February 2018
Enjoyed working with my fellow colleagues but the HR and senior management are all bully boys hiding behind policies and have no respect for staff members
Great place to work at
Driver (Current Employee) –  Transport16 February 2018
Friendly staff and great working environment. Really enjoy working here. Only moving on as I require a better wage. great place to work for and would recommend anyone
Leisure attendant
Leisure Attendant (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire8 February 2018
If you’re face fits you will do great. Mostly family that are there get priority. If you have an issue can’t report it bullies get promoted! Way to go! Wage is good but not worth the hassle and lack of progression of not in the in crowd
Pros
Pension
Cons
Long hours short breaks
Enjoyed my time here but fancy a change
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stanley, Wakefield14 January 2018
Wakefield council has always been good to me. Just fancy a change.
Childcare has always been an issue with me. Working long hours have meant that it's been difficult for me to pick my child up. My daughter is older now so it's not an issue anymore.
Pros
Sickness paid
Cons
Long hours, so made it hard with childcare for me
Binman
Refuse Collector (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire13 September 2017
I had really enjoyed my time there learnt alot good people definitely good to get a job with council it feels good to work in the community it gives job satisfaction
Lack of communication
Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Castleford, West Yorkshire4 August 2017
Working within Wakefield Council has a lot of good points, however there is a severe lack of communication between management. Also if on agency contract you can struggle to get feedback and secure interviews. Some management can be quite trying and are hard to communicate with. The staff I have worked with in the offices have been brilliant and very friendly and welcoming.
Pros
Set contracted hours
Cons
Lack of communication, uncertainty
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Knottingley, West Yorkshire31 July 2017
I enjoy working here, the staff are lovely. I love the job, good rates of pay. Good working conditions. Pay rate is good. Shifts patterns are good and suitable.
Senior management team awful
Pen pusher (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire28 June 2017
Senior staff so clicky. If your face fits or you agree with whatever they say you will be fine.
They don't do nothing to help people who are bullied and pushed out by senior management and god help you if you speak out.Dont bother applying as it's like old boys network. Bunch of backstabbers
Pros
Decent wage
Cons
Senior management team. To many of them being paid to be useless
great job - management and hr are bullies
ditto (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire5 June 2017
I worked for wakey council for a short while, whilst the job was fantastic, management where weak (carried out hr's bully boy tactics), hr are a set of pen pushers who do nothing but bully people for committing minor errors

Loved the job - hated the organisation - they still cant fill my old position
Pros
job varity
Cons
everything else
Very "clicky" but if the face fits it's enjoyable place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire2 March 2017
The council looks after the wrong people I'm afraid. Management varies from one department to another, lack of communication from officers and departmental directors.

I left as the job insecurity was the main issue due to budget cuts and fed up of seeing the deadwood still in a job.
Pros
Good pay and pension.
Cons
Lack of job security these days
good place to work
team leader driver labourer (Former Employee) –  Castleford Central and Glasshoughton25 February 2017
I worked for Wakefield council for 21 years and overall it was a good place to be good work colleagues good management many years of job security obviously not all tasks were to our liking but you have to put up with the good and bad but in comparison to other companies cannot fault.
Pros
job security good work collegues
Cons
dirty jobs sometimes
good
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Castleford17 February 2017
Good company to work for.
Loyal and understanding
Friendly and approachable
good rates of pay and pension.
good progression options.
Great employer
Horticulture apprentice (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire7 February 2017
Good company to work for shame about job security. Good day to day responsibilities and great people to work with. I enjoyed my time working here.
Domestic assistant
Domestic Assistant (Current Employee) –  Knottingley, West Yorkshire13 January 2017
I like make rooms smell fresh and clean. By giving the residents clean place to live a has its there home. I clean toliet, bathrooms and resident's rooms. I work apart of our team.
amazing helpful friendly management
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  wakefield1 December 2016
The staff are very friendly and helpful. Very quick at getting you signed up to there company and getting you into work. Over all the experience I had with its itn was brilliant ,
Pros
consistant work
Cons
not always in the same place
To be discussed upon potential interest if necessary.
Peripatetic Support Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  Wakefield District13 September 2016
To be discussed upon interest of application if necessary.
Information regarding clients, staff and overall current employment is not allowed under my current contract of employment.