Waitrose Employee Reviews

Great job for students
Customer Assistant (Christmas Temp) (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh10 April 2018
During my time at Waitrose, I mainly worked on the shop floor, replenishing the shelves. I was also trained to work at the checkouts, where I occasionally worked when the shop was busy. The staff at Waitrose are warm and welcoming and are quick to help should you have any queries. The pay was very good for a student, sitting at 7.67 an hour. The worst part about working at Waitrose was the early morning shifts, however, starting early meant that I also had the rest of the day to enjoy once I finished my shifts. Had the job position I held been full time, I would likely still be working there.
Pros
Affordable lunches, excellent pay, friendly coworkers, warm uniform
Cons
Early starts
Productive and fun place to work
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hailsham10 April 2018
Productive days where you never find yourself not busy. Management were always great with helping with training and providing new tasks as well as assisting with tasks that may have been difficult for one person. Fun group of people to work with despite remaining professional for the customers.
Pros
Very good starting salary, chilled out vibes and friendly environment.
Cons
Small-team based, repetitive
Frustrating, but great people
Operational Support Advisor, Various other roles (Former Employee) –  Bracknell10 April 2018
Retail is a hard place to work at present, with job cuts and restructuring rife. Although the ethos and company ethics, are commendable, I am unsure if they are appropriate in succh a tough climate
Waitrose.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Canary Wharf9 April 2018
A typical day at work would usually be quite straight forward. I'd come in and be told what section/sections I'll be working on for the shift and told how much there is to be done. I will usually discuss/negotiate how long it will take and try to meet the target.
Most of the time I would usually be working the deliveries, filling the shelves and making the section look presentable for the following morning. Some shifts may be spent tidying the warehouse making sure it is not messy and cluttered, so it is more easy and accessible to find stock and manoeuvre cages around the warehouse.

From working here I have learnt how to work as a team trying different methods of completing certain jobs more quickly and efficiently, finding the easiest and best ways to complete tasks day to day. I've also learnt how to do so independently.

The management has fairly been on point with any enquires I may have, such as help with booking certain holidays. Usually also quite helpful n considerate if they see you struggling.

The most enjoyable part is being able to work as a team as you usually feel a slight bit more motivated to get the tasks done, as working together helps to bring you together n build your relationship with work colleagues.

The hardest part is usually when your delivery is bigger than usually and you have to find the quickest method to get the job completed.
Pros
Many partnership benefits.
one of the best work experience I have ever had
Worker (Former Employee) –  Northampton5 April 2018
People who work there are very nice and helpful, the corporate culture is on a great level.
Managers are also nice and you can ask them about anything and get help.
Fun work place
CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Balham5 April 2018
Great place to work! Great benefits and hours that work around you. I worked part-time as a student and they were very accommodating.The very homely atmosphere made me feel like I had a home away from home.
Well organised
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ealing, Greater London5 April 2018
Good atmosphere here and a good first working environment. Taught me valuable communication and teamwork skills which are vital in the workplace. I enjoyed overcoming the challenges faced there and meeting certain deadlines required of me.
Impressive and functional
Supermarket Assistant / PartnerVoice Rep (Former Employee) –  Fleet, Hampshire30 March 2018
It was a big step working for Waitrose. Its amazing to see how everything happens, it works so well and operates so good.
The salary is good, and the bonus at the end of the year is jackpot!
Still got the Victorian attitude.
Hgv driver (Former Employee) –  Leyland27 March 2018
I started at Leyland in 2013 with approx 30 other drivers and they called us the best of the best we were first in the new depot and the majority of us have gone since because they didn’t want to pay us for our worth, their managerial skills were amateurish and policy was made on the hoof, with many years of experience under my belt I can honestly say it is the worst company I have ever worked for.
Disappointed PL.
enjoyable
Shop assistant (Former Employee) –  Thatcham, Berkshire26 March 2018
i worked evening replenishing stock. this involved stock rotation and checking dates. The management were helpful. There was some lifting but full training was given.
Efficient and comfortable
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crowborough25 March 2018
The workplace prided itself on great customer service with very good product knowledge. We were expected to work efficiently and to meet a certain standard of productivity. The management were always extremely helpful and made sure to keep up work satisfaction and maximise efficiency. The atmosphere was very friendly and welcoming and workers were treated very highly.
Pros
Discount over John Lewis partnership
Cons
Unpaid breaks
fun
Committed member (Former Employee) –  london25 March 2018
fun place to work part-time whilst at school and uni, friendly environment. Highly customer service based, sometimes physically challenging usually serving customers
Good fun place to work
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire25 March 2018
Work at 20.30 finish at 7 in the morning
Work cages on shop floor fresh ,frozen & ambient
Very demanding and very busy store
Using the bailer setting up and resetting
Pros
Cheaper dinners and food shop
Cons
Long hours and nights
Absolute Chaos
Supermarket Assistant/Hospitality (Former Employee) –  Canary Wharf, Greater London21 March 2018
As expected with any supermarket in CW it's going to be chaos during the week. However this allowed for you to never be bored standing around. A typical day at work involves a lot of running around, a lot of good customer service and a lot of bending over backwards trying to help others.

Management in this environment is poor.
Pros
Good location
Cons
Very long hours as severely understaffed
Decent company
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands21 March 2018
I have worked my way up from a cashier to a team leader in 8 years. Its been difficult but worth the challenge and i feel its time for a new start. My role is to manage and set targets for 15 partners, meeting targets myself and hitting high sales.
Pros
Good discounts
Cons
There is non
Very Good
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orpington20 March 2018
Working for Waitrose on a part-time basis for over 2 years has been an excellent employment experience for me, I have been able to gain and improve people skills through customer service, whilst working within a team of varied partners who all work well with eachother. Through furthering my experience within the business I have also been able to take vital responsibilities within my section, and my management team will now rely on me to provide results in these responsibilities, for example, product stock ordering, - ensuring that Waitrose can maximise its profits. This is very rewarding.
Pros
Fantastic working environment
Cons
Every day is the same
False promises
Customer Service Assistant/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Leek19 March 2018
Pretty on the outside, ugly on the inside. Money is good if you work as many hours as humanly possible. Management are selfish. Lots of false promises are made about promotions, job security, the most amazing place to work. Cons out way the pros.
Best place I have worked in my 28 years
Customer Service/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Canary Wharf16 March 2018
Partnership is he best way to describe this business, their customers are a priority but their staff mean as much to them as their customers do.
The flexibility is amazing for all types of lifestyles and classes
the family culture in the business makes me wonder why I ever left, I do not think I will find that anywhere else again.
It is a never ending growing business that you can grow in and develop new skills and even embark on a great job opportunity after your studies for those soon to be graduates.
Lastly, it is fun and the benefits are to die for.
Nice people but lack of management skills
Retail Asistant/Driver (Former Employee) –  Truro14 March 2018
After weeks of excellent training and an upbeat energised launch night for the new store the reality turned out to be disappointing .

Inexperienced managers, no mentoring for new arrivals and individuals self appointing themselves as 'team leaders '
Pros
Clean modern work environment
Cons
Negative tired staff and managers with little experience
Productive and Fun workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ashford12 March 2018
Working in Waitrose has helped me grow as an individual, it has helped me gain skills and experience that I will definitely use in the future. I have also learnt to multitask, work on different sections and convince and encourage customers to try out new stock.

My managers and supervisors have made it known what they expect from me, they are also very understanding and positive.

A typical day at work for me is helping on the checkouts and/or emptying cages on the shop-floor and/or collecting deliveries for customers.

Before I started working, I would say that it was quite hard for me to talk to people I did not know but I am now able to talk to customers confidently. Also working in retail has helped my time-management skills as I am able to be on time for work, carry out tasks, take some time to myself to do online training etc. It has also helped me build relationships with my work colleagues as well as regular customers. At first I thought that it would be hard for me to fit in with the company but the whole company/team are welcoming.

I would say the hardest part of working in retail is dealing with unreasonably rude customers which can sometimes challenging but you get so used to it that it becomes something that you are used to. However, the most enjoyable part of my job is when a customer is satisfied, it makes me feel better about myself as I am able to meet the needs of customers.
Pros
Partner Discount with the Partnership Cards.
Cons
Long Hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Waitrose. Our community is ready to answer.