Waitrose Employee Reviews

Lots of opportunities
Food service assistant (Current Employee) –  Godalming, Surrey1 July 2018
Many opportunities to progress within the workplace. The main bosses really care about the staff however there is a lot of favouritism resulting in poor management
Benefits
An Enjoyable Challenge
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gerrards Cross1 July 2018
Long hours and hard work being on the Food Service Counters - there was a lot to learn and a lot to do each day but personally, I enjoyed the challenge and the fast pace of the job made each day go quickly
Good place to work and great work life balance
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Leyland, Lancashire1 July 2018
I have worked here for 9 months if you keep your head down and work hard there is always opportunities for further training. The management are friendly and helpful and the company will usually accommodate your needs such as a set rota like I got. The only downside is the pay and the lack of extra hours for most of the year.
Pros
Work life balance friendly work place
Cons
Pay
Great place
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wokingham, Berkshire29 June 2018
I throughougly enjoyed my time at Waitrose Wokingham. The staff were kind and helpful and fellow workers were welcoming to me when I just started. Would highly recommend
different everyday
Online Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Surrey28 June 2018
going in at different times each day makes the job varied and more challenging which I enjoy
it can be tough driving on London but that is balanced by being on my own at my pace
Pros
relative freedom of role
Cons
driving under extreme conditions
Fulfiling
Supermarket Assistant nights (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire26 June 2018
As a whole, it is a brilliant company to work for. as because you are in a partnership, you do have a say and your opinions and idea's are heard as you are a co-owner.

you are recognised for your efforts.

The supermarket industry is expanding to new degrees constantly. so as it grows, you do too.
Pros
discount, partnership services
Cons
None to mention.
Partner (Former Employee) –  Milngavie, East Dunbartonshire24 June 2018
Management are not very good. Some are ok, but majority or only concerned about themselves and their own development. Would talk about individuals behind their back, and receive a very large salary for not doing a lot of work.
A good part time job as a student
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hexham23 June 2018
A good place to work as a student. Good pay for being under 21 but I would never work there as a career. An exceptionally boring job that has very little room for progression and the management can be biased with regards as to where they put people during a shift so that some areas might be very far behind but they never worked on that section so they ignore it.
Satisfying fun respect.
Supermarket Assistant at Branch o#ffice. (Former Employee) –  Northwood21 June 2018
A typical day involves doing your duties in my case, office duties, audit work and ching up.I learned that good customer service is both rewarding and fun. Management were always approachable and the culture was respect and team work. Working for a caring company made my work all the more enjoyable.
Pros
Resect, team work and feeling you had a voice.
I was completely forgotten about
Partner (Former Employee) –  Holsworthy20 June 2018
I worked at Waitrose for a short time but I was completely seen as disposable.
I was hired, put in the office to do the online training and then expected to know exactly what I was doing out on the shop floor.
I ended up doing the same job every shift just because it's all I knew and no one ever noticed that's all I was doing.
Turns out, I was never properly trained, and my managers had failed to notice this, and should never have been allowed out onto the shop floor.
I was never till trained either and was pretty much there to make up numbers and was left to my own devices.
Impersonal managers who never learned my name and didn't want to get to know me.
I'm pretty sure no one even noticed when I left.
Pros
Not a lot
Cons
Impersonal, boring, soul sucking
Not always worth the pay
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  London18 June 2018
A typical day at work does not change, you are set on one thing and one thing only and trying to change position is hard, e.g. of you start on checkouts, you're staying on checkouts.

I have learned to bite my tongue and that sometimes people expect too much and there are simply some things you cannot do.

Managers are very biased, if they like you then they are more friendly and understanding and if they dislike you then they will not be understanding.

The culture is quite nice as you have a group of people who hate their job coming together.

Worst part is the customers who believe they are above everyone else. They have caused several mental breakdowns due to constant digs. You receive no support for things like this either and end up being told you were the problem.

Most enjoyable part is payday but it is not always worth it.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
Waitrose Food Service
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saltash17 June 2018
As a first job after education, it was a good experience which helped me develop skills such as my confidence and social skills.
I also developed retail experience in a variety of areas which was very useful and then could be relied upon by the branch when they needed me.
However, sometimes the positive workplace culture could turn toxic due to gossip etc, which did make me feel uncomfortable at times.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing reoccurring customers and it not feeling like work and that made the shifts easier as it was a positive experience for myself and the customer.
Pros
Usually nice staff, who help each other.
Cons
Management and workforce being detached.
Good but it could be better
Supermarket Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London17 June 2018
The company is very good. They have a good culture and the management is always nice to you, in the sense that they alway greet you and ask questions about your family and so on. You don't have any pressure to do your job and they are not constantly looking at your every move.
They are very flexible, with the working hour so you can easily accommodate your time. It is wonderful if you are a student or have children.
One bad thing is that you hardly ever get any feedback about your work so you might think your are doing great but they may think differently. There is no way for you to know how is your performance. It is only when you have your yearly appraisal that they tell you staffs that you did not do and for that reason you won't be getting a pay raise this year.
It is very hard to climb up the leader if you happened to be a non white British person. They care too much about the way you look and the way you speak rather than your actual performance and your ability to do the job. It feels like you have to be punished for speaking with an accent or having brown skin colour.
Pros
Discounted food, great employee discounts. Yearly bonus
Cons
Hard to progress within the company
Good company to work for
Delivery Driver Multi Drop (Former Employee) –  Torquay, Devon17 June 2018
Diverse duties, you need to be flexible, but overall they are an excellent business to work for, with good benefits.
Ongoing training is provided, health & safety etc.
A typical day is loading up van, picking additional items, going out to customers and delivering goods, checking deliveries are accurate, finishing route on time, filling out paperwork, cleaning and unloading van.
Good
Team Leader (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Bedford16 June 2018
Great starter job however in terms of a career can be difficult to progress. Pay isn't great but benefits even this out. Great part time job. Not fantastic career starter.
A good and reliable company to work for, well respected within the wider industries.
Waitrose Partner - Shop Floor Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dorchester16 June 2018
The working environment is good for developing time management and efficiency and the company are well respected making them a good one to have on your cv.
fun
Warehouse Administration Assistant - Duties (Former Employee) –  Balham, Greater London16 June 2018
i enjoyed working in waitrose i worked in different areas of the store which was good as i had a different tasks to do everyday. The managers were very nice and helpful.
Pros
discount
Cons
busy
Good
Cafe Assistant (Former Employee) –  Truro14 June 2018
Good place to work, consistent pay and are always looking to increase your current wage. Their is also a huge amount of benefits when working with this company.
Pros
Discount and Pension Scheme
poor work environment
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Ives12 June 2018
The work enviroment was poor, the building was very old which meant that the some of the equipment i used was outdated. The staff were also unorganised and never really made you aware of what you were doing on the days you were working.
Pros
short hours
Cons
poor work enviroment
Secure and Welcoming
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  London8 June 2018
Waitrose as a company looks after its customers to a very high standard and the same can be said for its employees. Excellent staff benefits, a friendly working environment and job security.
Pros
Staff discount across multiple brands

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Waitrose. Our community is ready to answer.