Waitrose Employee Reviews

enjoyable
Shop assistant (Former Employee) –  Thatcham, Berkshire26 March 2018
i worked evening replenishing stock. this involved stock rotation and checking dates. The management were helpful. There was some lifting but full training was given.
Efficient and comfortable
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crowborough25 March 2018
The workplace prided itself on great customer service with very good product knowledge. We were expected to work efficiently and to meet a certain standard of productivity. The management were always extremely helpful and made sure to keep up work satisfaction and maximise efficiency. The atmosphere was very friendly and welcoming and workers were treated very highly.
Pros
Discount over John Lewis partnership
Cons
Unpaid breaks
fun
Committed member (Former Employee) –  london25 March 2018
fun place to work part-time whilst at school and uni, friendly environment. Highly customer service based, sometimes physically challenging usually serving customers
Good fun place to work
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire25 March 2018
Work at 20.30 finish at 7 in the morning
Work cages on shop floor fresh ,frozen & ambient
Very demanding and very busy store
Using the bailer setting up and resetting
Pros
Cheaper dinners and food shop
Cons
Long hours and nights
Absolute Chaos
Supermarket Assistant/Hospitality (Former Employee) –  Canary Wharf, Greater London21 March 2018
As expected with any supermarket in CW it's going to be chaos during the week. However this allowed for you to never be bored standing around. A typical day at work involves a lot of running around, a lot of good customer service and a lot of bending over backwards trying to help others.

Management in this environment is poor.
Pros
Good location
Cons
Very long hours as severely understaffed
Decent company
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands21 March 2018
I have worked my way up from a cashier to a team leader in 8 years. Its been difficult but worth the challenge and i feel its time for a new start. My role is to manage and set targets for 15 partners, meeting targets myself and hitting high sales.
Pros
Good discounts
Cons
There is non
Very Good
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orpington20 March 2018
Working for Waitrose on a part-time basis for over 2 years has been an excellent employment experience for me, I have been able to gain and improve people skills through customer service, whilst working within a team of varied partners who all work well with eachother. Through furthering my experience within the business I have also been able to take vital responsibilities within my section, and my management team will now rely on me to provide results in these responsibilities, for example, product stock ordering, - ensuring that Waitrose can maximise its profits. This is very rewarding.
Pros
Fantastic working environment
Cons
Every day is the same
False promises
Customer Service Assistant/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Leek19 March 2018
Pretty on the outside, ugly on the inside. Money is good if you work as many hours as humanly possible. Management are selfish. Lots of false promises are made about promotions, job security, the most amazing place to work. Cons out way the pros.
Best place I have worked in my 28 years
Customer Service/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Canary Wharf16 March 2018
Partnership is he best way to describe this business, their customers are a priority but their staff mean as much to them as their customers do.
The flexibility is amazing for all types of lifestyles and classes
the family culture in the business makes me wonder why I ever left, I do not think I will find that anywhere else again.
It is a never ending growing business that you can grow in and develop new skills and even embark on a great job opportunity after your studies for those soon to be graduates.
Lastly, it is fun and the benefits are to die for.
Nice people but lack of management skills
Retail Asistant/Driver (Former Employee) –  Truro14 March 2018
After weeks of excellent training and an upbeat energised launch night for the new store the reality turned out to be disappointing .

Inexperienced managers, no mentoring for new arrivals and individuals self appointing themselves as 'team leaders '
Pros
Clean modern work environment
Cons
Negative tired staff and managers with little experience
Productive and Fun workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ashford12 March 2018
Working in Waitrose has helped me grow as an individual, it has helped me gain skills and experience that I will definitely use in the future. I have also learnt to multitask, work on different sections and convince and encourage customers to try out new stock.

My managers and supervisors have made it known what they expect from me, they are also very understanding and positive.

A typical day at work for me is helping on the checkouts and/or emptying cages on the shop-floor and/or collecting deliveries for customers.

Before I started working, I would say that it was quite hard for me to talk to people I did not know but I am now able to talk to customers confidently. Also working in retail has helped my time-management skills as I am able to be on time for work, carry out tasks, take some time to myself to do online training etc. It has also helped me build relationships with my work colleagues as well as regular customers. At first I thought that it would be hard for me to fit in with the company but the whole company/team are welcoming.

I would say the hardest part of working in retail is dealing with unreasonably rude customers which can sometimes challenging but you get so used to it that it becomes something that you are used to. However, the most enjoyable part of my job is when a customer is satisfied, it makes me feel better about myself as I am able to meet the needs of customers.
Pros
Partner Discount with the Partnership Cards.
Cons
Long Hours
Reliable and good company to work for
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Henley on Thames12 March 2018
good salary, you get paid in accordance to how hard / little you work. the company benefits are far from little, with an amazing range of support, high street discounts and holiday savings. If you can bare stacking shelves with stress head bosses moaning every now and then, its worth the investment. Pension is also good
Pros
great company benefits, nice team environment
Cons
sometimes unsociable hours, repetitive work
fun workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Preston11 March 2018
fun workplace, friendly staff and good pay.
some management good but not the best at there job.
a nice place to work if youre a student or an older generation looking for some extra money.
Pros
bonus
Cons
bad managment
Top heavy management
Customer Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Cirencester10 March 2018
I took a job as a customer delivery driver, but most of the time I was sent to work inside the store with whatever job they needed doing; This included the checkouts, replenishment, pushing trollies outside and washing up in the cafe. I personally didn't like this but understand others may enjoy the variety. Management seemed to be inexperienced and top heavy; there were far too many managers 'managing' whom have had little experience elsewhere. It was expected for everyone to book all of their annual leave in advance for the whole year by early march, which to me is an unreasonable request, how are you meant to know your holiday plans for the whole year?

I wouldn't say it's a bad place to work, but it's not that much different from any other supermarket job, and in fact lower paid. Waitrose do work you hard, and expect a lot of flexibility; and they seem to get away with a lot by calling employees 'partners' who apparently have a say in how the business is run- yes to an extent, but it's mediocre.
Pros
Annual Bonus, 15% & 25% discount (WR & JL)
Cons
Overly managed, Holiday policy, Pay
Exciting, fast-paced work place
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lewes10 March 2018
Working at Waitrose allows huge variety within your job role, from working on the tills, doing online deliveries and replenishing stock. It is well organised and fast paced, and I would recommend as a work place.
Restructuring of retail processes damaging brand
Manager (Former Employee) –  South10 March 2018
Due to restructuring across the board and saving money the company has become a laughing stock internally. Instead of saving money in other areas of the business such as point of sale, marketing, discontinued lines,pointless advertising, campaigns not lasting and the list goes on. Standards have slipped incredibly and food and partner safety is being compromised on a daily basis. Board members arguing and top board members leaving which never happened previously. As soon as the company realise they are no longer an upmarket supermarket the better.
Pros
Benefits are now being offered in other companies similar
Cons
Working extra not getting paid
Easy going job
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chichester7 March 2018
This was my first job, it involved extensive customer service training which made me feel confident in my role as a personal shopper.
It taught me the customer is always right and the importance of customer service skills when dealing with all types of people.
Good variety and friendly
Part-time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tonbridge6 March 2018
The partners working across the store are generally all friendly and easy to get along with, the managers included. They are also very supportive and will to work with you to make your work life fit with you. There is always opportunities to be trained on various teams as well as your own if you prefer more variety.
The hardest part of the job for me was when the store would get very busy around certain times of the year, especially Christmas. The most enjoyable part was being able to switch between the two teams I was trained on as and when I was needed and working on the help/welcome desk as I enjoyed the variety.
Night stocker- temp (Former Employee) –  Chippenham, Wiltshire6 March 2018
Good place to work excellence is required and in return is given - opportunity to progress if standards are met - long hours and if travelling by public transport this adds up to a long day and evening - this aside the people I met whilst employed here were friendly and helpful during my short term/temporary employment.
really nice work place
Supermarket Assistant (Current Employee) –  London6 March 2018
Good place to work at, friendly and multiculcural atmosphere. All kinds of age and engaged colleagues.
If you are an excellent team player looking for a fun place to work then look no further.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Waitrose. Our community is ready to answer.