Waitrose Pay & Benefits reviews

Stay and reliable
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds20 January 2018
Was a really good job, steady and consistent. Could easily pick up extra hours if you needed more money and also, it was relevantly easy to get someone to cover your shift
Pros
partner in the business
Bullying management
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newbury, Berkshire17 January 2018
Had a really awful time at waitrose, several years ago now. Management were vile. Hopefully it's improved since then, but I would never work for a supermarket ever again.
Pros
Flexible shifts
Cons
Stress, lack of training, poor salary
Fun workplace and productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brent Cross Station, Greater London15 January 2018
Its really fun to work here because the people who work there is really friendly . And if you're not sure on what you are doung they are hapoy to help you .
Pros
Free lunch, free breakfast
Cons
8 hours
A brilliant place to work overall
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Torquay, Devon12 January 2018
It was ok. I can't really think of 150 characters worth of stuff to say. In and out of work benefits and shop floor colleagues were good, wage was slightly above minimum. Management was patchy at best and had become particularly shabby near the end of my employment resulting in poor attitudes and lack of motivation from partners. Sadly very much an 'us vs. them' culture. From what I've gathered from visiting and speaking to partners working in different stores this seems like an isolated case, most other Waitrose stores are far better managed and happier places to work.
Pros
Myriad of discounts and benefits outside and inside of work, flexibility with hours, discounted cooked meals at break times.
Cons
Poor management, consistently over staffed at quiet times and under staffed at busy times.
Recommend!
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stroud, Gloucestershire11 January 2018
Enjoyed my 3 years working with the partnership, lots of opportunities to further your training to different areas of the store and always overtime available!
Pros
Hours, pay, opportunities to further training
Cons
Management seemed a bit messy
Good company to work for
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Torquay10 January 2018
Worked at waitrose for 11 years was a fun company to work for had great partners at the time whilst working there very friendly, good benefits within The company
Pros
Good breakfast
Cons
Management attitudes
Productive place
Warehouse Operator (Former Employee) –  Chorley8 January 2018
Very organised and clean place, cold aswell, good communication between the workers, good food, the only problem is, they need to provide more equipment for the workers
Pros
Clean place
Fun, varied role
Assistant (till trained) (Former Employee) –  Petersfield, Hampshire7 January 2018
Dealing with customers from all walks of life and assisting them with their needs.
Replenishing stock, doing stock take and organising stock in the warehouse.
Friendly colleagues and very approachable management.
Pros
free lunches and great benefits
Cons
long shifts
Good Place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cowbridge, Vale of Glamorgan2 January 2018
friendly staff, good pay and benefits. Good work hours due to store opening times. Uniform is provided but strict in regards to make up and hair in work
Cons
No parking provided
Friendly environment
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Barry, Vale of Glamorgan31 December 2017
I worked for a short while in Waitrose. There are many aspects of Waitrose that set it apart from other retailers in the UK. It has a unique customer base and is very original in the way it benefits its customers.
Ok to work
Supermarket assistant (Former Employee) –  Leek, Staffordshire14 December 2017
Jobs was alright and most of staff friendly but management waste of time only spoke to certain staff and certainly have there favourites,sickness policy ridiculous and always called into office when hardly anything done wrong not as good as people think.
Pros
Free christmas dinner and bonus
Cons
Managerment too bigheaded and think better than staff
Great social
Customer service supervisors (Current Employee) –  Witney12 December 2017
Good staff benefits, more than likely work evenings/ weekends. Discounts in John Lewis. Good holiday pay although needs to be booked a year in advance.
Pros
Company benefits
Cons
Working evenings and weekends
Productive workplace
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London10 December 2017
This work experience allowed me over to period of a week to try different roles throughout the store. The roles included ambiance, stock management, and customer service.
Pros
Discounted lunches
Cons
Short break times
Inflexible
Meat and fish counter (Former Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex6 December 2017
If your working Saturdays it's almost gaurentted no one will ever cover your shift which = no days off for you!. Training is also very limited, other co workers will train you, there's no proper guidelines which is both a bonus and a downfall
Pros
Good pay, good lunch breaks
Cons
Inflexible, limited training, left on your own if on a counter
Productive work place
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sevenoaks2 December 2017
Over the 2 years I worked there, I had little issue with any staff, all partners are incredibly friendly. Once I knew my role, I got on with it and there was never any issue raised. There was a lot of flexibility around the job. Customer interaction was both the hardest part of the job and the most enjoyable part.
productive and supportive place to work
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ely, Cambridgeshire23 November 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at waitrose, working as a team, I learnt fantastic customer service skills and was always encouraged to try new jobs within the branch. I found management approachable and engaging with a presence on the shop floor at some point in the day.
Pros
great benifits.
Cons
short staffed
Supportive workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire22 November 2017
I enjoyed working at Waitrose and found it a wonderful part time job throughout university. I particularly found the salary and benefits (enhanced by being a partner) thrilling - the bonus each year was quite a celebration!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester Park21 November 2017
A typical day started with creating a rota for the day. Then working deliveries, taking phone calls, reducing stock that was going out of date and covering the checkouts.

This was a hard job in the sense that you never knew how many cages were coming in and you had to keep the shelves stocked on a daily basis. You were on you feet for the whole shift.

During my time the management encouraged training and also assisted when short staffed in putting stock out.

It was a great environment to work in and everybody got on well together.
Pros
Local to home and the same benefits as John Lewis
Cons
Working weekends and late nights.
Treated like a slave
Food Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Haywards Heath, West Sussex19 November 2017
Waitrose hark on about how well they treat their staff, and how great the benefits are, reality is that the new "modern" Waitrose, is soul destroying and stressful. I was stretched to 3 areas in the store on a minimum wage, and was refused a payrise after making minor mistakes in the first 3 months, one of them being absent because of stress after being bullied.

I was constantly trying to talk to useless managers, who clearly couldn't do their job properly, fustrating to say the least. I was rarely acknowledged for the job I could do, and always had the finger pointed at when I messed up. Our store is currently severely under staffed for the Christmas period, with people leaving left, right and centre. Good luck to them...
Pros
You can leave
Cons
Inexperienced Managers, stupid hours, bad pay
Not to be considered long term
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxted, Surrey14 November 2017
Under staffed and over worked. You've probably heard that before.
Hours are used sparingly, so management require you to fulfill more than your standard job role.
Unsocial hours, either early mornings, late nights, weekends, bank holidays.
The annual bonus is just that, a bonus. You could probably earn your 'bonus' at a different place of work through basic pay, some years you could get £1000, but divided across the year is under £90 a month, see where I'm going with this?
Job security is good, however, advancement is not. If you suck up to the right people, you'll be recognised. If you keep your head down and do a good job, no one bats an eye.
Ideal for students or after something part time, maybe as a parent to work around school hours.
Pros
Bonus, subsidised dining room, discount
Cons
Unsocial hours, low advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Waitrose. Our community is ready to answer.