Waitrose Employee Reviews for Shop Assistant

It's a good atmosphere
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Havant, Hampshire10 September 2017
Waitrose is a good place to work, although for me it's time for a change as I have been there since I was 17 and now I am looking for a better job to accommodate my masters degree
Fun
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Banstead, Surrey23 August 2017
Fun place to work with a lot of friendly staff and customers. As well as brilliant benefits such as discounts at John Lewis and Waitrose and the bonuses. It's good to be considered a partner not just an employee
Enjoyable place to work
Shop Floor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bedfordshire23 August 2017
Very good company to work for, from the staff, perks, and customers who you interact with. Always trained to a very high standard, and helps you become very confident speaking to customers and dealing with complaints or queries in a professional manner.
Productive and a good place for part time work
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Weybridge, Surrey7 August 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my colleagues. There was a very friendly environment and everyone made you feel welcome. I was able to improve my social skills as well as learning how to give good customer service.
The only down side to the job is that hours aren't very flexible and getting time off can be difficult.
Busy
Operations Shopfloor assistant (Current Employee) –  Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire5 August 2017
Daily variety with a high speed tempo. Partners are friendly and sociable and the supplementary benefits can be of a great use for a variety of activities/interests
Pros
discounted Partner dining room, Discount after 3 months, Holiday pay supplement
Cons
very busy and somewhat chaotic at times
Was Okay
Retail and Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chichester1 August 2017
• Developed communication skills with people of all ages, customers and colleagues
• Worked in small teams within a large team
• Developed time management and organisational skills
• Accepted and continuously sought increasing levels of responsibility for my work
Worked here temporarily
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln17 July 2017
Worked here temporarily. Whilst an upmarket store, some staff were very friendly, others were not. Was put in for shifts I did not accept. Very unorganised.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Unorganised management
Lovely staff never feel over worked, treated with respect and as a member of the team
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Formby6 July 2017
It was a great time to spend at Waitrose Formby, amazing staff that make you feel welcome and wanted you are treated with respect and as a friend, the team do what they can to make sure you are comfortable and happy in the position you are in.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Non
Idea l workplace for a student
General Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Davenry3 July 2017
I really enjoyed ny time spent wokring at Waitrose, it was the ideal environment for a student to work in with very flexible hours and generous pay for that age group.
A Fun and laid back workplace.
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  High Barnet, Greater London27 June 2017
Enjoyed working in an environment where one could liase confidently with managers. You were also given the independence and the chance to take control of the section you were working on (for example the Fresh Foods section) and were given the responsibility to input figures onto the system which would calculate future orders for stocks.
The hardest part of the job would have been in holiday times, when the environment was extremely fast paced, for example at Christmas. However, this time was also the most enjoyable, you were able to get stuck in and feel like an important part of the team, who helped ensure that everything would run smoothly at such an energetic time in the year.
Pros
Great workplace and a friendly, relaxed environment.
Cons
would be on your feet all day carrying heavy boxes, hard to pull around heavy cages, when aisles were busy it was hard to help customers and try to hit targets.

Want to know more about Waitrose?

Ask a question
Friendly staff
Shopping Assistant (Former Employee) –  Biggin Hill, Surrey26 June 2017
I worked part time at Waitrose while studying, everyone I worked with was very friendly. There was a large range of staff from elderly to teenagers and everyone got on great working with each other.
fun workplace
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hitchin21 June 2017
i worked here during work experience and it was a productive and fun first job for me, colleagues always happy to help when in need and the management as very helpful.
Shop floor assistant (Former Employee) –  Hexham10 May 2017
Good part time job for a young student at that time, hours weren't very flexible and holiday had to be given a long time in advance but the company were great to work for
Used to be good
Shop assistant and cashier (Current Employee) –  Romsey, Hampshire9 May 2017
Waitrose used to be a very good firm to work for but things have changed unfortunately. The amount of work expected of you is unrealistic specially for the pay.
Clean and pleasent work environment
Shop Assistant/Hospitality (Current Employee) –  Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire7 May 2017
My day starts with cooking breakfast for the partners of Waitrose who are on early starts, I clean the whole area and when finished in the Dining Room I then help out on the shop floor or in the Café - front or back of house wherever they are short of help.
The hardest part of my day (rather than the job) is the 1 plus hour travelling before I start and then at the end of my shift.
Benefits
Cons
Distance I have to travel
Pay is good. Job is monotonous.
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Farnham, Surrey4 May 2017
The pay is very good. The management is bad at communicating with one another. Often you will find yourself told off by a member of staff because the other has not told them what they have told you to do. They are also not good at encouraging staff to learn more. They fail to train new staff properly, often relying on the kindness of other members to help them. They also do not like the amount of time speaking to customers. Help the customers but do it within a minute-
they assume. However, they fail to realize the chatty nature of people and that it is very hard to remain time efficient when you have customers approaching you and trying to engage in full conversations. But the pay is very good.
Pros
Good pay. Age range of staff though not a lot of diversity.
Cons
Lack of communication within management, passive aggressive tone of management.
cant give you enough skills
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London6 April 2017
since i been with waitrose i have asked to moved or trained of few more sections first i want to go on the operations and asked several times and heard we sort something back and had no expirence and just done 1 fruit and veg training and thats it not enough time to learn and i have also asked to be trained on the customer service desk so i would not reconmend my store
Pros
Cons
alot
friendly and professional
SHOPFLOOR ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire30 March 2017
• Customer focused part-time role in a store whilst studying.
• Accountable for the stores frozen section meeting strict deadlines.
• Initiated and coordinated an inter store 5-a-side football tournament.
• Transaction experience from being till trained.
productive introduction to retail
Shop Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  London28 March 2017
waitrose was a great introduction to retail however the hours i were contracted were difficault and awkward to work within my college schedule as iwas often doing the midninght and 5am delieveries meaning i would be tired next day after college coming to work
Pros
discount
Advancement
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ely, Cambridgeshire4 March 2017
I was given so many opportunities to develop myself within the partnership. During my 3 years I became an exceptional partner, training in every aspect of the job and never saying no to a task.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Waitrose. Our community is ready to answer.