Waitrose Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Not what it used to be
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rustington22 July 2018
A lot is expected from staff with not much given in return. Low salary (not easy to get to the advertised rate) often unsociable hours (10pm finishes) little flexibility between roles (despite what they say at interview) and unsupportive/uninterested management.
Pros
Great colleagues
Cons
I could go on...
enjoyable
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London6 July 2018
This experience taught me patience as well as excellent and effective communication skills. It overall was a great and enjoyable experience which I am grateful to of had.
Pros
hours
Cons
location
Good
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire2 July 2018
Very good. Good pay, flexible hours and the role was very easy to get to learn quickly. The other employees are very friendly and the benefits associated are good.
Productive Workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Croydon7 June 2018
At Waitrose the employee life was very inviting and inclusive. Everyone was made to feel welcome and everyone was very friendly. It was an amzing experience.
Pros
Long and fair breaks
Cons
N/a
depends on which branch you work at.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Warwickshire22 May 2018
Depends on where you work. Some places are run by people who favour others. Therefore you wont get anywhere no matter what you do! It's just day to day job to pay the bills. The benefits you get from JLP are great but that's it. The bonuses are getting smaller with each passing year. Half the staff don't know what they doing which makes it harder for others.
Pros
discount
Cons
no progression
Not to bad good for a first job
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London22 May 2018
Worked at two loactions, first location was very good, really nice atmospehere and lots of variety. Moving to the second loaction, it is not at good, no work variety at all leading to long and boring shifts. Overall management is good as long as you are working hard.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
limited variety
Brilliant
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, Suffolk8 May 2018
Very pleasant place to work and would gladly return there in future. Would recommend this chain so anybody who wishes to pursue a job within retail. Treated with great respect.
Pros
Very friendly staff and great management
Cons
Very pleasant place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, Suffolk8 May 2018
The 2 week work experience period I spent working at Waitrose we’re thoroughly enjoyable. I was treated with great respect and had very fair working hours. I would gladly work there on a permanent basis.
Pros
Friendly staff, brilliant management
Cons
Non
Low skilled job w/ good benefits
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol8 May 2018
Typical day involves, replenishing stock within various departments.
Till work and handling customer issues should they arise.
Good benefits involving discount, fun days out, ticket subsidy and more.
Hardest part about working there is the monotonous feeling about the job, every day is almost the same.
enjoyable part of the job is the co-workers(if you're lucky to have fun co-workers).
Difficult working environment
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London3 May 2018
The work is quite varied so you could be assisting customers, sell on the checkout, replenish shelves, check dates and discount, take deliveries. Each person will tend to fall into a pattern. However, since the recent changes, you are now expected to switch between any task you have been trained to do at any point in time during your shift. This can be very tiring.

Most Partners are friendly and go out of their way to help you, however you will find the odd one or two people that seem to give you a hard time for no reason. The Partnership does seem to care about your development and training is good overall, but management can have unreasonable expectations at times, expecting you to finish tasks when you are being spread too thinly. Some managers don't seem to know what the others are doing, as one can instruct you to do one task and a few minutes later another will question why you have been doing it.

Most of the customers are reasonably pleasant although some can be rude and not appreciate the nature of your working pattern and the fact that you cannot have the shelves fully stocked all of the time. You will hear some grumble about there 'not being anyone there to assist them'. Many of the issues can only be resolved by a policy change. You need to be able to take it in your stride and not let things you can't influence affect your ability to do the job.

Certain aspects of the job can be very physical and tiring. The work is often monotonous and repetitive.

You do get 15% off Waitrose purchases and generally 20% off John Lewis after working here for 3 months.
  more... There is also the bonus (which has been decreasing in recent times). A lot of food seems to get thrown away even though it is perfectly edible (veg for example doesn't become inedible the moment it passes the best before date). I understand that it gets sent for anareobic digestion to produce energy, but wouldn't it be better to sell it to Partners at discount?

I would say this is a good job for students or those without much experience of the work place. The bonus and discounts don't really make up for the low wage, although this can be increased very slightly based on performace.

Retail is a very competitive sector so to some extent the Partnership's hands are tied in how much they can afford to pay/working conditions. Having said that, if you want to work in food retail then you could do a lot worse than working for Waitrose.
Pros
Bonus, discount card, friendly work colleagues
Cons
Low pay, changing work conditions (usually for the worse), unreasonable expectations, restrictive holiday policy, flexibility required but mostly one-way
enjoyable work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom13 April 2018
enjoyed meeting the customers I learnt how to prepare meat and how to cut it properly the management were very approachable everyone was very friendly and helped each other
Pros
discount lunches
Waitrose.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Canary Wharf9 April 2018
A typical day at work would usually be quite straight forward. I'd come in and be told what section/sections I'll be working on for the shift and told how much there is to be done. I will usually discuss/negotiate how long it will take and try to meet the target.
Most of the time I would usually be working the deliveries, filling the shelves and making the section look presentable for the following morning. Some shifts may be spent tidying the warehouse making sure it is not messy and cluttered, so it is more easy and accessible to find stock and manoeuvre cages around the warehouse.

From working here I have learnt how to work as a team trying different methods of completing certain jobs more quickly and efficiently, finding the easiest and best ways to complete tasks day to day. I've also learnt how to do so independently.

The management has fairly been on point with any enquires I may have, such as help with booking certain holidays. Usually also quite helpful n considerate if they see you struggling.

The most enjoyable part is being able to work as a team as you usually feel a slight bit more motivated to get the tasks done, as working together helps to bring you together n build your relationship with work colleagues.

The hardest part is usually when your delivery is bigger than usually and you have to find the quickest method to get the job completed.
Pros
Many partnership benefits.
Good variety and friendly
Part-time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tonbridge6 March 2018
The partners working across the store are generally all friendly and easy to get along with, the managers included. They are also very supportive and will to work with you to make your work life fit with you. There is always opportunities to be trained on various teams as well as your own if you prefer more variety.
The hardest part of the job for me was when the store would get very busy around certain times of the year, especially Christmas. The most enjoyable part was being able to switch between the two teams I was trained on as and when I was needed and working on the help/welcome desk as I enjoyed the variety.
Good benefits but poor management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes27 February 2018
Friendly place to work however manager was inconsiderate and expected me to work a lot more hours than I was contracted and able to. Benefits such as the bonus were nice
productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Finchley Road3 February 2018
I only did work experience in Waitrose, however the experience was great as I was able to work in different section of the retail but the check out point because I was too young. Overall, working in Waitrose enhanced my confidents and allowed me to interact with customers. The hardest part about working in Waitrose was getting to know the shop floor because when the customers wanted to know where a product was I was struggling to direct them therefore I had to get a colleague.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not working on the check out point
Fun workplace and productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brent Cross Station, Greater London15 January 2018
Its really fun to work here because the people who work there is really friendly . And if you're not sure on what you are doung they are hapoy to help you .
Pros
Free lunch, free breakfast
Cons
8 hours
good
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ringwood14 January 2018
I am responsible for managing my own shifts in addition to working with other colleagues. My main duties including: caring for all customers, shelf stacking.
Good Place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cowbridge, Vale of Glamorgan2 January 2018
friendly staff, good pay and benefits. Good work hours due to store opening times. Uniform is provided but strict in regards to make up and hair in work
Cons
No parking provided
Supportive workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire22 November 2017
I enjoyed working at Waitrose and found it a wonderful part time job throughout university. I particularly found the salary and benefits (enhanced by being a partner) thrilling - the bonus each year was quite a celebration!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester Park21 November 2017
A typical day started with creating a rota for the day. Then working deliveries, taking phone calls, reducing stock that was going out of date and covering the checkouts.

This was a hard job in the sense that you never knew how many cages were coming in and you had to keep the shelves stocked on a daily basis. You were on you feet for the whole shift.

During my time the management encouraged training and also assisted when short staffed in putting stock out.

It was a great environment to work in and everybody got on well together.
Pros
Local to home and the same benefits as John Lewis
Cons
Working weekends and late nights.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Waitrose. Our community is ready to answer.