Waitrose Employee Reviews for Assistant

Awful management, too little staff
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Keynsham, Somerset16 December 2017
All of the staff were absolutely wonderful aside from the main management team. They were rude, not understanding of their colleagues, demanded too much work from staff, e.g. expecting one person to do a job meant for 3 people. Pay was okay and you do get a christmas bonus but the management did not make this job pleasurable for me
Pros
Christmas bonus, flexible
Cons
Bad management, understaffed, underappreciated
Ok to work
Supermarket assistant (Former Employee) –  Leek, Staffordshire14 December 2017
Jobs was alright and most of staff friendly but management waste of time only spoke to certain staff and certainly have there favourites,sickness policy ridiculous and always called into office when hardly anything done wrong not as good as people think.
Pros
Free christmas dinner and bonus
Cons
Managerment too bigheaded and think better than staff
working At waitrose
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Parkstone13 December 2017
This was job I held for 12 years and enjoyed working in a big supermarket environment and doing the baskets and trolleys and helping customers pack their products . it was great to help people in the local community
Fur coat no knickers company
Assistant (Former Employee) –  North West7 December 2017
Where do I start?
What initially seemed a decent well liked company with high ideals has been found out as a poorly managed company with only profit the priority. Too many departments wanting details on applying for the job, the IT systems are prehistoric and training is basically down to yourself and the computer. You do not get the correct uniform or tools for the job either. The "bonus" is not worth it anymore either. Never saw the top managers, just lots and lots of middle managers.
Pros
15% off groceries after three months
Cons
Terrible management
Productive work place
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sevenoaks2 December 2017
Over the 2 years I worked there, I had little issue with any staff, all partners are incredibly friendly. Once I knew my role, I got on with it and there was never any issue raised. There was a lot of flexibility around the job. Customer interaction was both the hardest part of the job and the most enjoyable part.
Pleasant
Supermarket assistant (part time) (Former Employee) –  Towcester29 November 2017
During my time at waitrose I found the team I worked with an absolute joy. Added to this was the benefit that I was a partner of the business, i.e. we owned a share of the business therefor we got a cut of the profit at the end of the year. The pay was also reasonable.
productive and supportive place to work
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ely, Cambridgeshire23 November 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at waitrose, working as a team, I learnt fantastic customer service skills and was always encouraged to try new jobs within the branch. I found management approachable and engaging with a presence on the shop floor at some point in the day.
Pros
great benifits.
Cons
short staffed
Not to be considered long term
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxted, Surrey14 November 2017
Under staffed and over worked. You've probably heard that before.
Hours are used sparingly, so management require you to fulfill more than your standard job role.
Unsocial hours, either early mornings, late nights, weekends, bank holidays.
The annual bonus is just that, a bonus. You could probably earn your 'bonus' at a different place of work through basic pay, some years you could get £1000, but divided across the year is under £90 a month, see where I'm going with this?
Job security is good, however, advancement is not. If you suck up to the right people, you'll be recognised. If you keep your head down and do a good job, no one bats an eye.
Ideal for students or after something part time, maybe as a parent to work around school hours.
Pros
Bonus, subsidised dining room, discount
Cons
Unsocial hours, low advancement
good
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Monmouth27 October 2017
you have to work in all areas of the store, part of john lewis partnership which is great. subsidised lunches. feels like one big happy family, good partys
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clerkenwell, Greater London26 October 2017
Good environment to work at. I learnt about rotation where you have to put the items with closest expiry dates at the front and the farer ones at the back.
good people, poor management
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Holsworthy, Devon / Clerkernwell, London24 October 2017
This job was excellent whilst I was at college, but became un-enjoyable in the last couple of years with the introduction of "modern waitrose", which is essentially a condensing of employees with an expectation for the same amount of work to be done.
Throughout my four years in the company my pay was constantly incorrect, something which was often slow to be corrected.
Pros
friendly colleagues
Cons
constant incorrect pay
A negative environment
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Godalming, Surrey18 October 2017
I worked in fresh for over for over 6 months. I made some good friends but management was unbelievably strict, they would give unrealistic deadlines to put out stock and constantly watch you hence creating a very negative and pressurising environment. I wanted to like this job but just couldn't.
Pros
Nice colleagues, great company benefits, staff discount, opportunity for overtime
Cons
Unfair management, unrealistic expectations, young workers are not treated well
The worst management ever
Supermarket Assistant, part-time (Current Employee) –  Harpenden17 October 2017
Just a terrible place, they don't care about you, wrong pay... lack of management they only care about shelfs filled up, terrible team leaders, just a bad atmosphere...
Pros
I left
Cons
The worst job I ever had
Great Place to work at
Supermarket Assistant (Current Employee) –  London13 October 2017
You will learn a lot about processes and systems involved and get a real insight knowledge on how a supermarket is run. Everyone is friendly to work with.
Brilliant workplace
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eldon Square8 October 2017
Always welcomed before each shift, always was talked to with respect and dignity. If I had any questions the manager was more than happy to answer them for me and point me in the right direction.
A means to an end
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newark-on-Trent2 October 2017
Waitrose was an interesting place to work and I met a lot of lovely people their. however, I feel the ethos of customer satisfaction often overshadowed the treatment of employees.
production and fun
Supermarket Assistant (Current Employee) –  St Albans17 September 2017
i have worked here for 7 years- it is versatile and fun. The partners are so lovely and everyone is a team player. This is why i have worked here for so long.
Pros
great lunch
Cons
poor wage
Excellent company to work for.
Supermarket Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hitchin, Hertfordshire11 September 2017
Many company benefits as well as a competitive wage. Good management team to guide and progress staff. The team work very well together both at work and socially. Out if work Gatling s are a regular feature.
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northwood10 September 2017
Duties:
• Worked within the Supermarket’s Fresh (mainly Fruit and Vegetables) department, as well as on tills. Fully till trained.
• Delivered excellent customer service by working flexibly as part of a team, ensured that stock is replenished and displayed to required standards.
• Adhered to hygiene and health and safety standards.
• Carried out housekeeping activities and handling cash and card transactions according to set procedures.
fun workplace
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Parsons Green and Walham4 September 2017
It was a good job, good pay and benefits and is considerate for students in terms of being flexible around exam time tables etc.
the work ethic is good too

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Waitrose. Our community is ready to answer.

Waitrose Reviews by Location