Waitrose Employee Reviews

Friendly staff to work with
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Southampton15 August 2018
Management are generally understanding of work lif balance and you do feel like they care about you. Colleagues are more like friends and will help you out with out asking. Pay is “competitive”
Pros
John Lewis and Waitrose discount
Cons
Repetitive work days
Productive and rewarding workplace
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Willerby and Kirk Ella15 August 2018
Waitrose offers outstanding customer service and I strived to continue this reputation. I was able to learn many useful skills that enhanced my ability to be a very helpful and enthusiastic individual.

The management, although very busy, were always on hand to ensure you were doing the correct thing and this reflected how well the whole team cooperated in order to provide quality service.

A fast paced environment, especially within the cafe, proved to be challenging when I first started. However, I grew with confidence and was able to perform tasks much quicker and with higher accuracy.

The whole job itself was very rewarding. To represent a company and know that a customer is satisfied with the service you have provided makes the environment you work within very positive and enjoyable.
Pros
Free food, good partnership discount
Cons
Lacked diversity
AMAZING place to work
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Yateley, Hampshire15 August 2018
Good pay, could be more
Looked after well
Hours are nice
Amazing benefits
Family feeling in the branch
Sometimes don't include all overtime hours
Can be pushy with overtime, need to hold your ground
Pros
good benefits
Cons
Pushy with overtime
Retail
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Godalming, Surrey14 August 2018
Waitrose is like working in most supermarkets - busy, and there's always something to do. Slight problem with under staffing means you'll be asked to do lot's of overtime - good when you need it, bad when you're being pressured to do it.
Excellent training and staff development
Supermarket Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh14 August 2018
I undertake a variety of tasks which have enabled me to develop confidence, take initiative, work as part of a team and learn important customer service skills.
Pros
Profit share
Cons
Working pattern
horrible place
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London13 August 2018
I will not recommend this place to work.Nothing to learn as they already know what people they want to take to career.They advertising the jobs only for law wise. Management awful.
Fun atmosphere
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire10 August 2018
Wish rota could be more flexible once permanent contract is given.
All colleagues were friendly and easy to get along with, made a huge difference to working there as a staff. Fantastic customer service.
Avergae job.
Supermarket Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cheshire10 August 2018
Work days are long and boring. Whilst people who have been there for a while are doing the more interesting jobs. New partners are put on the tills for 8 hour shifts. These shifts are horrible. Saying the same 3 lines for 8 hours make you wonder if you would rather be jobless. However when you progress to other tasks the days go quicker and you enjoy it more.
Pros
Managers or other staff wokrking on the helplines can always answer queries. Very helpfull.
Cons
Boring jobs.
fun place to work
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chippenham, Wiltshire8 August 2018
General Assistant, this includes providing excellent customer service to all as well as using different systems that regularly include working on tills and Self Check out. I also did stock rotation and date code checks. A considerable amount of my job required keeping the store intact and up to date. This job has also taught me how to provide the customers with a memorable and enjoyable experience. It has also given me confidence and encouragement to progress in a customer service role.
Pros
the team
Cons
insufficient hours
Not enough staff, too much work to be done.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  North Walsham7 August 2018
Not enough staff for checkouts so you are either pulled from what you are doing on the shop floor, or you're the one chasing around for someone to jump on a till.
Head office management seem completely oblivious as to how understaffed their branches are. With branch management taking the full brunt of the unhappy partners.
Great people to work with, but everyone is grouchy with the stupidly high workloads, which doesn't make for a nice work environment.
You never know what you might be doing when you come in for a shift, as you could be put anywhere in the branch.
Not to mention the bonus is slowly but surely becoming almost non existent, with basic level partners taking home a small amount, and high managers still taking what could be over half an average shop floor workers yearly salary.
You are also loosely payed by performance, if you don't get on with your manager, you could find yourself falling behind with pay increases in comparison to some people who work just as hard, or even less than you.
Pros
Okay pay, people are nice to work with, Waitrose and John Lewis discount
Cons
Not enough staff, benefits slowly going, no progression.
fanatastic company values
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Uttoxeter6 August 2018
I no work in a "modern Waitrose" branch now. All partners are expected to be proficient in several skills. I started as a delivery driver. Since I started 5 years ago I have learned about different areas of the company, such as stock control and replenishment.
Pros
friendly and caring
Cons
working weekends
Extremely productive
Night Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coulsdon, Greater London6 August 2018
Very fast paced so wont even bother looking at the time, involved looking for customers orders and sorting them out in the right place so they wont get mixed up
Productive, fun and fast past environment.
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Derbyshire5 August 2018
I currently work at a small Waitrose branch. All employees and management very friendly and happy. Bonuses include regular organised outings funded by Waitrose and good pay.
Pros
Regular outings paid by Waitrose
OK place to work
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ely4 August 2018
hours suited me, loved my work, dining room on premises, yearly bonus, staff discount.

Good company to work for, I worked there for 12 years and maybe would have stayed if I didn't move away.
Pros
Dining room, bonus, discount
Cons
stressful
Perfect place for low skilled workers
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire3 August 2018
Work was easy to do. Pay was amazing. Management were very friendly. If you are happy to work hard, you will thrive in this organisation. Good social scene. Bonus is nice too.
Pros
Pay, Bonus
Cons
Job is retail
Suits certain groups of people
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Droitwich and Kenilworth1 August 2018
I worked at Waitrose for around 11 years. Over that time the company has been through significant change and in my opinion (and 95% of other members of staff on the shopfloor across 2 branches) not for the better.

I think this job suits particular groups or I should say people at different life stages:

- First job for someone leaving school or bridging the gap between school and university.
- People reaching retirement age who want a bit of extra money coming in.

You essentially have a HUGE amount of disillusioned, eager and talented young people in their 20's that stick in the job while they don't know what else to do. Tens upon tens of young people who have been trying to progress have been severely put off from progressing due to the lack of support and a mentality of "if you can't hack being a team leader then step down". Worse than that there is never any follow up, never a meeting about why they want to and changing their strategy so they do get the support. Instead the upper management attitude is "ah well" until someone else shows willing to dump duties on. Team Leaders were often criticized for not getting cages clear - how is it their responsibility to make other individuals work faster?

The shift to "Modern Waitrose",essentially; getting more out of less people, has frustrated most of my past co workers. You are expected to do bits of everything which is at a detriment to customer service (as people are rarely knowledgeable or competent across the different areas) where as before you knew 1 or 2 areas extremely well and could go the extra mile
  more... for the customer. Modern Waitrose has also created an environment where managers spend more time on the computers upstairs rather than leading by example on the shopfloor, very demotivating for staff below them. The designated floor manager basically moves people from 1 place to another where ever they are needed so it makes you feel much more of a number and an instrument to get the work done and feels utterly demoralising over the course of a shift. Add to this the replenishment sections are always so understaffed.

But positives are that for the most part everyone is so friendly and supportive (including the managers), job is fairly secure and there is little responsibility for the pay (which is OK for retail; plus an annual bonus). Unfortunately they will be scrapping Sunday and bank holiday additional pay and the bonus. It is a good place to get some basic skills to move on to somewhere else as Waitrose are highly regarded as a company. Customers are very rarely frustrating unless you are on the welcome desk.

You will be frustrated at the amount of people that say "Oh Waitrose, they are a good company to work for arnt they?" when in reality that just hasn't been the case.
Pros
Great people, fresh cooked meals
Cons
modern waitrose, management, upper management haven't got finger on the pulse of shopfloor level, progression, understaffed
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bracknell1 August 2018
I cant think of anything negative to say about working in the Waitrose head office. everything about it was amazing!
The hardest part of the job was getting through to the colleges in branch that where having issues and didn't know what you where talking about.
Great benefits
Manager (Current Employee) –  Various1 August 2018
I have enjoyed my time at Waitrose, there are some great people working there and they do look after their employees better than most retailers. Pay is not always the best but the benefits go along way to making up for this.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Becoming more like the other Supermarkets to work for
Very cutthroat management and ‘Partnership’ not upheld
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne1 August 2018
Other staff working at the same level were very pleasant and easy to get on well with. However the management was another story, whilst some were compassionate and good at their job others seemed to have too little to do so decided to bully staff instead. Keeping a job here is unlikely as they are more than happy to let you go when it suits them, not upholding the idea of the company being a partnership and making decisions together
Great first job!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wokingham31 July 2018
worked here as part of my business nvq at 6th form, a brilliant first job to have, the training was great and the whole team was fantastic to work with and you had plenty of chances to move around and try new roles

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Waitrose. Our community is ready to answer.