Waitrose Employee Reviews

I was completely forgotten about
Partner (Former Employee) –  Holsworthy20 June 2018
I worked at Waitrose for a short time but I was completely seen as disposable.
I was hired, put in the office to do the online training and then expected to know exactly what I was doing out on the shop floor.
I ended up doing the same job every shift just because it's all I knew and no one ever noticed that's all I was doing.
Turns out, I was never properly trained, and my managers had failed to notice this, and should never have been allowed out onto the shop floor.
I was never till trained either and was pretty much there to make up numbers and was left to my own devices.
Impersonal managers who never learned my name and didn't want to get to know me.
I'm pretty sure no one even noticed when I left.
Pros
Not a lot
Cons
Impersonal, boring, soul sucking
Not always worth the pay
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  London18 June 2018
A typical day at work does not change, you are set on one thing and one thing only and trying to change position is hard, e.g. of you start on checkouts, you're staying on checkouts.

I have learned to bite my tongue and that sometimes people expect too much and there are simply some things you cannot do.

Managers are very biased, if they like you then they are more friendly and understanding and if they dislike you then they will not be understanding.

The culture is quite nice as you have a group of people who hate their job coming together.

Worst part is the customers who believe they are above everyone else. They have caused several mental breakdowns due to constant digs. You receive no support for things like this either and end up being told you were the problem.

Most enjoyable part is payday but it is not always worth it.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
Waitrose Food Service
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saltash17 June 2018
As a first job after education, it was a good experience which helped me develop skills such as my confidence and social skills.
I also developed retail experience in a variety of areas which was very useful and then could be relied upon by the branch when they needed me.
However, sometimes the positive workplace culture could turn toxic due to gossip etc, which did make me feel uncomfortable at times.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing reoccurring customers and it not feeling like work and that made the shifts easier as it was a positive experience for myself and the customer.
Pros
Usually nice staff, who help each other.
Cons
Management and workforce being detached.
Good but it could be better
Supermarket Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London17 June 2018
The company is very good. They have a good culture and the management is always nice to you, in the sense that they alway greet you and ask questions about your family and so on. You don't have any pressure to do your job and they are not constantly looking at your every move.
They are very flexible, with the working hour so you can easily accommodate your time. It is wonderful if you are a student or have children.
One bad thing is that you hardly ever get any feedback about your work so you might think your are doing great but they may think differently. There is no way for you to know how is your performance. It is only when you have your yearly appraisal that they tell you staffs that you did not do and for that reason you won't be getting a pay raise this year.
It is very hard to climb up the leader if you happened to be a non white British person. They care too much about the way you look and the way you speak rather than your actual performance and your ability to do the job. It feels like you have to be punished for speaking with an accent or having brown skin colour.
Pros
Discounted food, great employee discounts. Yearly bonus
Cons
Hard to progress within the company
Good company to work for
Delivery Driver Multi Drop (Former Employee) –  Torquay, Devon17 June 2018
Diverse duties, you need to be flexible, but overall they are an excellent business to work for, with good benefits.
Ongoing training is provided, health & safety etc.
A typical day is loading up van, picking additional items, going out to customers and delivering goods, checking deliveries are accurate, finishing route on time, filling out paperwork, cleaning and unloading van.
Good
Team Leader (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Bedford16 June 2018
Great starter job however in terms of a career can be difficult to progress. Pay isn't great but benefits even this out. Great part time job. Not fantastic career starter.
A good and reliable company to work for, well respected within the wider industries.
Waitrose Partner - Shop Floor Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dorchester16 June 2018
The working environment is good for developing time management and efficiency and the company are well respected making them a good one to have on your cv.
fun
Warehouse Administration Assistant - Duties (Former Employee) –  Balham, Greater London16 June 2018
i enjoyed working in waitrose i worked in different areas of the store which was good as i had a different tasks to do everyday. The managers were very nice and helpful.
Pros
discount
Cons
busy
Good
Cafe Assistant (Former Employee) –  Truro14 June 2018
Good place to work, consistent pay and are always looking to increase your current wage. Their is also a huge amount of benefits when working with this company.
Pros
Discount and Pension Scheme
poor work environment
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Ives12 June 2018
The work enviroment was poor, the building was very old which meant that the some of the equipment i used was outdated. The staff were also unorganised and never really made you aware of what you were doing on the days you were working.
Pros
short hours
Cons
poor work enviroment
Secure and Welcoming
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  London8 June 2018
Waitrose as a company looks after its customers to a very high standard and the same can be said for its employees. Excellent staff benefits, a friendly working environment and job security.
Pros
Staff discount across multiple brands
Productive Workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Croydon7 June 2018
At Waitrose the employee life was very inviting and inclusive. Everyone was made to feel welcome and everyone was very friendly. It was an amzing experience.
Pros
Long and fair breaks
Cons
N/a
Productive , friendly and involving.
Customer service assistant (Current Employee) –  Rustington7 June 2018
As a partner i feel very involved with choices in the business and my branch to help reach our goals and targets on a daily basis. i enjoy working for Waitrose and i would recommend people that is it a good, fun and nice place to work.
Good/Bad workplace
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lutterworth7 June 2018
can be good to work for, get great discounts and benefits. management are awful, shift swapping is made extremely difficult, online system is outdated and complicated sometimes. expected to do everything with lack of training.
Pros
good discounts
Cons
management are awful
productive
CUSTOMER SERVICE ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire7 June 2018
great. this was an alright job to work with. gave me the experinece i needed to work in other sectors that i belive well suited me. learnt alot of skills.
empresa muito organizada
repositora (Former Employee) –  Bath5 June 2018
bom ambiente de trabalho e colegas simpáticos e prontos a ajudar sempre.
fun work place
picking and packing (Former Employee) –  Bracknell5 June 2018
day to day wok was brilliant all other co-workers made us feel welcome and friendly.

I learned how to work in a team and at a fast pace for overall work..
the hardest part of the job was making sure we had the correct products going out on the shelfs also in the warehouse.

the best part of the job was working for such a great company and the people we worked for.
Pros
short distant from my house
Lovely place to work
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands1 June 2018
I loved working at Waitrose. The staff were always so friendly and made me instantly feel part of the family. They organised loads of social events outside of work that help staff get to know each other and become a really close knit work environment. Although working on the till isn't the most thrilling job, the staff and company management systems always made every shift fun and positive. I would recommend anyone to apply for a job here.
Pros
social events
Cons
busy shifts
Productive, hardworking and interactive place
Supermarket Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bloomsbury1 June 2018
Waitrose is a supermarket that ensures excellent customer service and it cares about its partners. Its a friendly, cohesive workplace and environment.
Pros
Discount
brilliant work place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Rickmansworth31 May 2018
I did an work experience here and i have learnt so many things, the staff there were great and very supportive. at first i was introduced by the staff they were very welcoming and I learnt new things everyday. I would love to come back if i had a chance to.
Pros
learn how the retail buissness work
Cons
have to be very on the dot with time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Waitrose. Our community is ready to answer.