Waitrose & Partners Employee Reviews

Avergae job.
Supermarket Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cheshire10 August 2018
Work days are long and boring. Whilst people who have been there for a while are doing the more interesting jobs. New partners are put on the tills for 8 hour shifts. These shifts are horrible. Saying the same 3 lines for 8 hours make you wonder if you would rather be jobless. However when you progress to other tasks the days go quicker and you enjoy it more.
Pros
Managers or other staff wokrking on the helplines can always answer queries. Very helpfull.
Cons
Boring jobs.
fun place to work
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chippenham, Wiltshire8 August 2018
General Assistant, this includes providing excellent customer service to all as well as using different systems that regularly include working on tills and Self Check out. I also did stock rotation and date code checks. A considerable amount of my job required keeping the store intact and up to date. This job has also taught me how to provide the customers with a memorable and enjoyable experience. It has also given me confidence and encouragement to progress in a customer service role.
Pros
the team
Cons
insufficient hours
Not enough staff, too much work to be done.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  North Walsham7 August 2018
Not enough staff for checkouts so you are either pulled from what you are doing on the shop floor, or you're the one chasing around for someone to jump on a till.
Head office management seem completely oblivious as to how understaffed their branches are. With branch management taking the full brunt of the unhappy partners.
Great people to work with, but everyone is grouchy with the stupidly high workloads, which doesn't make for a nice work environment.
You never know what you might be doing when you come in for a shift, as you could be put anywhere in the branch.
Not to mention the bonus is slowly but surely becoming almost non existent, with basic level partners taking home a small amount, and high managers still taking what could be over half an average shop floor workers yearly salary.
You are also loosely payed by performance, if you don't get on with your manager, you could find yourself falling behind with pay increases in comparison to some people who work just as hard, or even less than you.
Pros
Okay pay, people are nice to work with, Waitrose and John Lewis discount
Cons
Not enough staff, benefits slowly going, no progression.
fanatastic company values
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Uttoxeter6 August 2018
I no work in a "modern Waitrose" branch now. All partners are expected to be proficient in several skills. I started as a delivery driver. Since I started 5 years ago I have learned about different areas of the company, such as stock control and replenishment.
Pros
friendly and caring
Cons
working weekends
Extremely productive
Night Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coulsdon, Greater London6 August 2018
Very fast paced so wont even bother looking at the time, involved looking for customers orders and sorting them out in the right place so they wont get mixed up
Productive, fun and fast past environment.
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Derbyshire5 August 2018
I currently work at a small Waitrose branch. All employees and management very friendly and happy. Bonuses include regular organised outings funded by Waitrose and good pay.
Pros
Regular outings paid by Waitrose
OK place to work
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ely4 August 2018
hours suited me, loved my work, dining room on premises, yearly bonus, staff discount.

Good company to work for, I worked there for 12 years and maybe would have stayed if I didn't move away.
Pros
Dining room, bonus, discount
Cons
stressful
Perfect place for low skilled workers
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire3 August 2018
Work was easy to do. Pay was amazing. Management were very friendly. If you are happy to work hard, you will thrive in this organisation. Good social scene. Bonus is nice too.
Pros
Pay, Bonus
Cons
Job is retail
Suits certain groups of people
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Droitwich and Kenilworth1 August 2018
I worked at Waitrose for around 11 years. Over that time the company has been through significant change and in my opinion (and 95% of other members of staff on the shopfloor across 2 branches) not for the better.

I think this job suits particular groups or I should say people at different life stages:

- First job for someone leaving school or bridging the gap between school and university.
- People reaching retirement age who want a bit of extra money coming in.

You essentially have a HUGE amount of disillusioned, eager and talented young people in their 20's that stick in the job while they don't know what else to do. Tens upon tens of young people who have been trying to progress have been severely put off from progressing due to the lack of support and a mentality of "if you can't hack being a team leader then step down". Worse than that there is never any follow up, never a meeting about why they want to and changing their strategy so they do get the support. Instead the upper management attitude is "ah well" until someone else shows willing to dump duties on. Team Leaders were often criticized for not getting cages clear - how is it their responsibility to make other individuals work faster?

The shift to "Modern Waitrose",essentially; getting more out of less people, has frustrated most of my past co workers. You are expected to do bits of everything which is at a detriment to customer service (as people are rarely knowledgeable or competent across the different areas) where as before you knew 1 or 2 areas extremely well and could go the extra mile
  more... for the customer. Modern Waitrose has also created an environment where managers spend more time on the computers upstairs rather than leading by example on the shopfloor, very demotivating for staff below them. The designated floor manager basically moves people from 1 place to another where ever they are needed so it makes you feel much more of a number and an instrument to get the work done and feels utterly demoralising over the course of a shift. Add to this the replenishment sections are always so understaffed.

But positives are that for the most part everyone is so friendly and supportive (including the managers), job is fairly secure and there is little responsibility for the pay (which is OK for retail; plus an annual bonus). Unfortunately they will be scrapping Sunday and bank holiday additional pay and the bonus. It is a good place to get some basic skills to move on to somewhere else as Waitrose are highly regarded as a company. Customers are very rarely frustrating unless you are on the welcome desk.

You will be frustrated at the amount of people that say "Oh Waitrose, they are a good company to work for arnt they?" when in reality that just hasn't been the case.
Pros
Great people, fresh cooked meals
Cons
modern waitrose, management, upper management haven't got finger on the pulse of shopfloor level, progression, understaffed
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bracknell1 August 2018
I cant think of anything negative to say about working in the Waitrose head office. everything about it was amazing!
The hardest part of the job was getting through to the colleges in branch that where having issues and didn't know what you where talking about.
Great benefits
Manager (Current Employee) –  Various1 August 2018
I have enjoyed my time at Waitrose, there are some great people working there and they do look after their employees better than most retailers. Pay is not always the best but the benefits go along way to making up for this.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Becoming more like the other Supermarkets to work for
Very cutthroat management and ‘Partnership’ not upheld
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne1 August 2018
Other staff working at the same level were very pleasant and easy to get on well with. However the management was another story, whilst some were compassionate and good at their job others seemed to have too little to do so decided to bully staff instead. Keeping a job here is unlikely as they are more than happy to let you go when it suits them, not upholding the idea of the company being a partnership and making decisions together
Great first job!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wokingham31 July 2018
worked here as part of my business nvq at 6th form, a brilliant first job to have, the training was great and the whole team was fantastic to work with and you had plenty of chances to move around and try new roles
Fun but hard to progress
Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London31 July 2018
I worked here through university. They hire a good mix of people at all ages, and you can train on every section. It is difficult to progress or get promoted though, and the Mill Hill branch often showed signs of favouritism for certain staff to move upwards or to get adequate levels of training. John Lewis Partnership is good with salaries and the employee benefits are great.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes31 July 2018
Working with waitrose was a great experience with a good atmosphere. It helped me learn new skills and make friendships. Waitrose is an enjoyable place to work
Awful bullying culture
Super-User, Loading supervisor & MHE Instructor (Former Employee) –  Leyland, Lancashire31 July 2018
The best thing about my whole sorry experience at Waitrose Leyland was the fact they spent thousands sending me on a 2 week course to become an on-site Mechanical Handling Instructor. All qualified trainers in the company get an increment in their wages (about £25 A week) They decided not to give it me. I persued the increment (with the backing of the company training manager) Suddenly I was relieved of ALL training duties & put on normal shop floor duties. I decided to leave. I left for another job with a training role, taking my Waitrose paid for ITSARR qualification with me.....going from around £18k a year at Waitrose to £26k overnight. I am now on over £35k a year.

My overall findings of Waitrose Leyland was not a pleasant one. Inept managers who do nothing but bully, victimise & intimidate shop floor Partners. Literally everybody on the shop floor I worked with has now left. Only management and office staff remain.

A truly awful experience.
Pros
Cons
Bullies run the show.
Excellent place for young people to work.
Replenishment Staff (Former Employee) –  Horley, Surrey30 July 2018
The perfect job for college students who want to work part time. The staff are all very supportive and the workplace offers flexible working hours too.
Fantastic company
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath28 July 2018
Waitrose prides itself on a balance of work and social life, which was obvious from the beginning. The job comes with a great social aspect as everyone is very friendly and enthusiastic, and there are many opportunities to be involved in work trips/events (e.g. thorpe park). The company is also very flexible for students or difficult availabilities.

The staff here are very welcoming and fun, and every one gets involved in events outside of work, such as birthdays and celebrations. You will find a variety of ages and backgrounds in each department. Likewise, customers are usually polite and cheerful.

Training is thorough and the company makes it clear to you what their goals are and how you can make the most of your time there by helping different projects.

There are many benefits to working with the company, such as ticket subsidies and social events, as well as discount in store and in the staff canteen, and managers are always helpful in sorting any personal issues and encourage further training.
Pros
Friendly; flexible; salary; discounts
Cons
Can be repetitive; lots of training
good out of school job
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Surrey26 July 2018
worked here from the end of school to end of uni, good salary, and work environment. typical days were busy, but I received lots of training. the hardest part of the job was some customers could be extremely rude, I did not receive much support from management when I was treated disrespectfully.
By far the worst place I have ever worked
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Leyland, Lancashire26 July 2018
I was very unfortunate to have worked at waitrose for two years. Why do I say unfortunate you ask? Well, the targets are barely achievable, you are excessively monitored and you can get pulled up for little things such as talking and being off the system for a few minutes. The worst thing though is the managers. They are the most horrible, stuck up, snobby and patronising bullies that I have ever had the misfortune to work under. They don't even acknowledge you and are very rude. If you value your sanity and wellbeing stay away. I gave it one star but this place doesn't even deserve that.
Pros
Cons
Where do I begin.