Waitrose & Partners Employee Reviews

Terrible management, horrid customers, overall horrible
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chichester25 September 2018
I worked in Waitrose for 7 months in that time I didn’t learn anything that I didn’t already know and being taught my department (wines) was terrible at best.

On a regular basis I was worked to the bone nothing new there, however on certain days you were the only one on the department getting a phone calls from patronising management and rude customers.

The specialist I worked with was revered as the best in the business by management and hated by staff due to how he would spend more time upstairs than talking to customers which his job would imply and would always talk down to me and other members of staff and expect him to change your hours when he has no authorisation to do so

The management team had zero understanding of circumstances or issues regarding the work load and some didn’t even know how we did our job, I was constantly hounded struggling to keep up with the large work load then made to feel worse when I didn’t do overtime because it was affecting my mental health

The uniform and policies are very outdated if you have tattoos or piercing that are visible they do not accept them and demand you cover them up that includes new tattoos and new piercings but they won’t tell you that until after the interview even if you told them you have tattoos.

Wages do not reflect the amount of work we have to as Waitrose is the lowest amoung the supermarkets yet we are required to be the most knowledgeable.

The company as a whole is abismal as they cannot keep staff as out of 12 people who started at the start of the year (including me) left the company due
  more... to the management staff being unorganised and rude.  less
Pros
Get paid monthly
Cons
The job
It was ok
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Sussex23 September 2018
On paper a good place to work. Good pay and benefits. Easy work. The customers are really nice. Easy work. Thorough/helpful training. Always given enough lunch break.

Was told there would be a chance to work in different areas around the store but was always stuck on the till 8 hours straight every shift in the 7 months I worked there. Colleagues were gossipy and cliquey, did not like them. Uniform policy is very strict feels a lot like school. Also found managers patronising. Left due to my poor mental health and did not find managers to be incredibly supportive or easy to talk to. Also I get the sense they only hire people that appear quite middle class however this could just by my specific branch.

I probably wouldn't work here again.
Pros
salary, customers, easy
Cons
strict uniform policy, managers were patronising, mean colleagues
comfortable environment and fun
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Reading23 September 2018
As I hadn't had any experience in a work place such as Waitrose they were very calm and helpful to me, taking me through all the steps comfortably until I understood. Although I had experienced and worked in customer service department and re-stocking /stock rotation I had been mainly situated in the café as I was determined to be in the food industry and as such I am under going a catering course, technical certificate in professional cookery level 2, in college currently and it was a lot of fun and a relieving environment for me. I learnt all aspects from preparation to cooking to the dish washing sections of the café and then also till work ad customer service which I had enjoyed too. The hardest part for me was at first being able to be involved as a team member as not knowing anyone but they all were very comforting and it was such a great experience.
Pros
fre lucnhes
Cons
difficulty with understanding somethings at first
Poor management and organisation of sub sections
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tenterden, Kent19 September 2018
Standard retail work and learned every sub sector within the company. The management was poor with part time workers like myself ream-mending the rota and its issues. Fellow staff were mostly friendly, however some never failed to look miserable. Lunch breaks were fun with fellow members of staff.
perfect part time job
Service Counter Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth19 September 2018
worked on cake counter and on checkouts. friendly group of people and perfect part time job while at university. great discount at john lewis and waitrose
Good Pay and Potential for a good job
Supermarket Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brighton17 September 2018
The job was good originally, and the pay was good alongside the discount. However, the managers clearly aren't bothered about the staff. I would have hours added to my shift without being asked, and even when I had a hospital appointment they made it as hard as possible to get the day off. They would also make you feel incredibly guilty if you were unable to do any overtime that week, even though quite a few staff had to go to school/ university. If you were friendly with the managers, you would be rewarded with days off you needed and 'sick days' were allowed when they were not ill at all and the managers new that. If you did not socialise with the managers outside of work and weren't their friends, they would never help and act suspicious when you would legitimately be off sick.
Understandably, customer service was the utmost priority but when you had been taught to abide by the stores rules and values and a customer challenged them, a manager would not back you up and simply make you look stupid. This led to customers purposefully picking small issues so they could complain and receive compensation.
Pros
Good Discount
Cons
Self-interested Managers
Secure Job
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alcester15 September 2018
Proper job structure, progress visual and easy within the company with set pathways on which to progress within the company. Good pay and secure work all year round with set contract.
Okay to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Epsom15 September 2018
it was good fun a good team of people.everyone was friendly. my manager took time to help me with personal stuff. hours are pretty flexible. overall not a bad company.
friendly collegue and a professional atmosphere.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Exeter13 September 2018
Great place to work, like part of a family.
we would work stock for 2 hours. pick delivery for 2 hours, unload lorry, face up shelves and satisfy customers.
Pros
Annual bonus
Cons
Testing work during night shifts.
Productive and very interesting company to work for
Retail Manager (Current Employee) –  battersea london13 September 2018
Generally a good company to work for good company benefits and a lot of flexibility and would recommend it as a place to work for many and a lot to learn working here.
Pros
subsidised lunches, pension scheme, company benefits
Cons
working hours, work culture
God company, fun, social
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Bracknell12 September 2018
Typical day is keeping a eye on the on goings in and around the warehouse and checking things like the fire exit and the rest of the buildings. Letting people through for collections
The most difficult part was working the 12 hour shifts
Getting to now new people and new friends
Cons
Long Hours
Production and Working
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hailsham, East Sussex10 September 2018
I worked for Waitrose for more than seven years and found them to be a good company, most of the staff were kind and my Job was a Sales Assistant e.g. Cashier on Checkouts.

I found the work to be at times limited and did not provide me with enough of a challenge with the skills and qualifications I had achieved on my CV. I left the company about eight or nine years ago and have been Studying I.T., GCSE English and GCSE Mathematics and Business.

I have had a hard life since with health issues and exercise. I am looking for employment.
Pros
Discount and Benefits and John Lewis Account Card
Cons
Pressure because of some staff issues.
mainly bad experience at best
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  South East9 September 2018
when I first found work at Waitrose my manager said I would be working in different sections but essentially have been placed in different sections from day to day and it seemed great. After a year there I have effectively only worked in one section

Training ranges from very good from individuals to non existent

Management is largely clueless and only seem bothered by paperwork being signed correctly rather than the fact that sections are woefully understaffed so people are cutting corners not doing jobs properly and leaving the work because of stress

Too much concern from higher level management on bs like "Partner Voice" and the job being somehow "democratic" when its very dictatorial as if that somehow compensates for lack of staff, poor organisation and just above minimum wage pay levels

Staff not being paid overtime promptly. I personally know someone who was never paid for some work and another who is still waiting after 3 months

Management somehow clueless and deluded that 99% of people employed could not careless about rebranding etc and are working purely for the money and turnover of staff is naturally high

Very few managers are trustworthy and actually do what they promise. The nice managers tend to be ineffective
Pros
subsidised staff canteen
Cons
a lot, low wages, very poor management, understaffing
Bad pain and rubbish management
Checkout Assistant (Former Employee) –  Exeter9 September 2018
The management are up themselves, and the pay is very poor. For a large employer I was very shocked. I did not enjoy working here and couldn't progress.
May seem amazing, but avoid
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hampshire9 September 2018
If you’re currently in education- AVOID.
They will expect you to prioritise work and will not give you leave to study or visit open days.
NOT supportive in anyway or form.
They are also boring and repetitive jobs that can’t allow you to choose what you e.g tills or shop floor.
Pros
Pay, canteen prices, discount
Cons
Hours, management, realistically not suitable for students
productive
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh8 September 2018
fun place to work, partners are co-owners of
business, which makes difference
able to learn different levels of skills
Great place to start
Branch Assistant (Current Employee) –  London5 September 2018
My first Job was at Waitrose and i think it was the perfect start. I'm looking to branch out and explore my career options with the skills and confidence I've developed while working for the partnership. I feel like there a fewer opportunities there to forward my career than there originally was when I joined the Partnership.
Avoid
ROTA AND PAY CO-ORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire5 September 2018
Overworked & underpaid, lots of unfair rules, for example not everyone gets bonuses for working Sundays or gets paid breaks like others.

Management lack to support assistants, pay is really bad, I was on more working at Tesco!
No flexibility at all with balancing work life, I was promised I would only work 2 Saturdays a month when I was hired, a year later I'm still working every Saturday. I miss out a lot on Social events because of this.

Discount is good and some benefits are OK, but nothing that makes me want to stay permanently with this company.
Pros
Cheap canteen breakfast
Cons
Bad pay and boring job
Good job
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thame4 September 2018
As a customer Assistant it was my aim to attend to the all needs of any customers which I interacted with, in order to ensure that they got the most out of their experience at our branch. My daily tasks included; Restocking Shelves ensuring that items were placed in order of expiration date, helping customers with location of items, serving customers on the tills.
Pros
good wage
Cons
strenuous
Hard but satisfying
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Westfield2 September 2018
My first ever workplace, ive seen alot of changes to the waitrose model which has made day to day work at the shop a lot more stressful. Ive learned so many skills over my years there from stacking to legal and compliance. managment are great but somewhat inexperienced due to high turnover. finding the time to do your tasks as you are constantly required to do other things to cover for other people. the colleagues are golden.
Pros
great partners
Cons
bad balance