Waitrose & Partners Pay & Benefits reviews

Found 509 reviews matching the search See all 1,618 reviews
Beneficial
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bagshot13 February 2019
I worked in a Waitrose branch from the age of 16 in 2015, it was initially a great place to work with amazing benefits but as management came and went i found they didn't respect my educational commitments as well as my working life. I was often directed to go on to a management scheme that they offer and neglect my educational aspirations which is a very good scheme however is not for everyone. Workplace culture is lovely everyone is respectful and friendly.
Pros
pay, benefits, discounts
Cons
hours, strict
Challenging, but if you work hard, great Partnership
Assistant Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Woking, Surrey9 February 2019
I do like working at Waitrose and Partners, however like most retailers, I think we are starting to feel the pressure of discounters and online shopping.
I have so much about life and myself since I have worked there; they teach you about pensions, their health service is second to none and if you utilize their benefits system, you can get some incredible deals.
So much has changed in such a short space of time I think all management find it hard to manage all Partners when sometimes they don't know what they are supposed to be focusing on. Working with some great Partners make the job rewarding and especially when you can see the progress of a Partner you invest time into.
Great place to work.
Bad management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire8 February 2019
bad stuff flows down hill, the management at Waitrose was very poor and created a very enjoyable work experience for the , christmas partys were nice and onsite benefits, the up
Pros
bonuses, good pay, nice on site benefits
Cons
bad management
Fun at times
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kings road7 February 2019
It can be fun at times, a bit challenging and demanding but the pay is good as well as the benefits too. Not really understanding when it comes to time off.
Pros
Good discounts in a number of restaurants and stores.
Cons
Demanding and not always understanding managers
Loved my part time work with Waitrose
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Menai Bridge3 February 2019
Brilliant benefits and a lovely working environment. Everyone is always open to helping and shifts are great. A typical day repeats itself and therefore can become monotonous
Pros
Good hours, good pay
Cons
Difficult to advance
After 17 Years loyal service have been TUPE across to another company!
Multi Skilled Technician (Former Employee) –  Bracknell2 February 2019
When I joined this was a fantastic company to work for when you join you don't become an employee you become a partner and share in all the benefits that this company has to offer. However over the years this has changed and although you are classed as a partner they are no different from any other employer in any other company. My whole department has just been TUPED across to another employer without even being consulted! I think I need say no more!
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Given away without any thought or care
Very nice place to work
Supermarket (Current Employee) –  Beckenham30 January 2019
Management was very friendly , work life balance was quite good , lots of inscentives, we were regularly given pay rises ( every 6 months ) based on our performance which wad good
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Great place to work as a student
Sale Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire29 January 2019
Fairly fun and relatively easy job once you know what you're doing. Good chance for overtime around Christmas time. Good hourly wage, chance for increasing hourly wage comes twice per year.
Overall great workplace.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Trumpington26 January 2019
I learnt alot and met some amazing people, however the managment at my brnach wasnt amazing and they didnt help in times of major need. An example of this was my holidays and it was very hard for me to get my paid leave, in the end i had to get unpaid leave which was unfortunate as my paid leave was wasted.
Pros
People, job.
Cons
Flexibility
Fun workplace
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading20 January 2019
Very good company to work for as there are tons of benefits and good pay. The staff are really friendly and fun to work with, whilst the management are also on your side as long as you don't take the mick.
Pros
Good staff discount
Cons
Customers
Waitrose way or no way
Assistant Section Manager (Current Employee) –  Dorset18 January 2019
Full time hours are 37.5 per week.
Ranging from 6am to 10pm.
All full timers to work every other Saturday and 1 in 4 Sundays.

The rotas are always wrong.
The hours are inflexible.
The holidays are difficult to book, if you keep them at all.

There is no work-life-balance.
Its the Waitrose way or no way.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Inflexible working hours. Minimal notice of change. No work life balance.
Great work life balance in a constantly changing world
Manager (Current Employee) –  Various17 January 2019
The business is in a tough and constantly shifting industry. Whilst it is trying constantly to keep its partnership ethos intact its challenging! This has generally led to an air of uncertanty
Pros
Good benefits, shared ownership
Cons
Reducing job security, poor pay, high turn over and low moral
Fun
Assistant helper (Former Employee) –  Dorking12 January 2019
Fun, great, make sure u turn up a bit head of starting. Easy work just turn up do your shift then go home. Pays ok, over time always on the lists. Food and bits in the cafe so can have on your break
busy not very flexible
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Bracknell, Berkshire8 January 2019
good job security, wages always paid,but not very flexible and not very good managment.Typical warehouse enviroment, picking,loading,goods in, all done by system
good.
NIGHTSHIFT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire21 December 2018
Amazing colleagues, forward thinking organisation and an inspiring mission. A very exciting place to be right now. The company is making great strides and has hired really great people who are developing well. Really enjoying it at the moment.

Cons

Not enough hours to get everything done and could work better with other GPTW offices. Could have better benefits but I think this is being addressed.

Advice to Management

Keep it simple but definitely going in the right direction
good place to work
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northamptonshire17 December 2018
easy and enjoyable place to work. plenty of over time available. well managed and staffed. good communication amongst staff and management. good bonuses.
Nice friendly place to work
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham, UK11 December 2018
The majority of staff at Waitrose are friendly and approachable and will always offer help when needed. The pay is also very good and hours are quite flexible.
Pros
Cheap food from the canteen
Cons
Can be very boring
Lack of Business Plan
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire29 November 2018
This company is lacking a clear direction. Since Mark Price left they have been unsure how to combat the evolving retail market. They have grown to the point where they can not rely on their original customer base so therefore have to appeal to the masses.

This uncertainty is apparent at all levels, the company is aware it's structure does not work but does not know how to deal with this. They are making enormous staffing cuts without altering the requirements given to staff. As such, most processes are not completed correctly, and new staff are given little to no training. They are doing a very good job of eradicating the older managers and replacing them with very enthusiastic youngsters who work in excess of 60 hours a week to make up for this.

They pay an ok wage, it is competitive, but they are now requiring "flexible working" which basically means you work every friday night, saturday, sunday (no longer at a premium pay either), so the work life balance is not good. The bonus is now essentially non-existent too. However the discount and other benefits are good, however you can feel them age, like their HR department is no longer looking for new offers.

I feel for this company, there is still alot of talent there - but I don't recommend working there.
Pros
DIscount card
Cons
Salary/Hours/Workload
Stock replenishment
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne, East Sussex28 November 2018
Waitrose is an excellent company to work for, I enjoyed my job due to the anti-social hours (slightly better pay and no customers). However there was a problem among management where my contract was removed from the system along with the other temporary staff, causing us to be mis-paid (hours not fully updated) and not being paid at all, which was one of my reasons for leaving in the end.

Night staff were also quite upset that day time staff members were allowed free use of the kitchen and they were also offered free/cheap lunch/breakfast compared to the staff working anti-social hours.
Pros
over time, sufficient breaks, friendly staff and enviroment.
Cons
bad management, long hours, underpaid for overtime.
Fantastic job for students
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coulsdon, Greater London19 November 2018
I enjoyed working for Waitrose & Partners because of the atmosphere at worked. I was pushed and encouraged and was always supported by my colleagues who always made me feel welcome.
Benefits