Waitrose & Partners Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Enjoyable and passionate place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cheadle7 October 2018
A very involved and caring employer.

Values partners ideas and input.

An enjoyable working environment with the dedicated workforce and management teams who care about their partners.
Okay to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Epsom15 September 2018
it was good fun a good team of people.everyone was friendly. my manager took time to help me with personal stuff. hours are pretty flexible. overall not a bad company.
friendly collegue and a professional atmosphere.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Exeter13 September 2018
Great place to work, like part of a family.
we would work stock for 2 hours. pick delivery for 2 hours, unload lorry, face up shelves and satisfy customers.
Pros
Annual bonus
Cons
Testing work during night shifts.
Production and Working
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hailsham, East Sussex10 September 2018
I worked for Waitrose for more than seven years and found them to be a good company, most of the staff were kind and my Job was a Sales Assistant e.g. Cashier on Checkouts.

I found the work to be at times limited and did not provide me with enough of a challenge with the skills and qualifications I had achieved on my CV. I left the company about eight or nine years ago and have been Studying I.T., GCSE English and GCSE Mathematics and Business.

I have had a hard life since with health issues and exercise. I am looking for employment.
Pros
Discount and Benefits and John Lewis Account Card
Cons
Pressure because of some staff issues.
mainly bad experience at best
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  South East9 September 2018
when I first found work at Waitrose my manager said I would be working in different sections but essentially have been placed in different sections from day to day and it seemed great. After a year there I have effectively only worked in one section

Training ranges from very good from individuals to non existent

Management is largely clueless and only seem bothered by paperwork being signed correctly rather than the fact that sections are woefully understaffed so people are cutting corners not doing jobs properly and leaving the work because of stress

Too much concern from higher level management on bs like "Partner Voice" and the job being somehow "democratic" when its very dictatorial as if that somehow compensates for lack of staff, poor organisation and just above minimum wage pay levels

Staff not being paid overtime promptly. I personally know someone who was never paid for some work and another who is still waiting after 3 months

Management somehow clueless and deluded that 99% of people employed could not careless about rebranding etc and are working purely for the money and turnover of staff is naturally high

Very few managers are trustworthy and actually do what they promise. The nice managers tend to be ineffective
Pros
subsidised staff canteen
Cons
a lot, low wages, very poor management, understaffing
May seem amazing, but avoid
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hampshire9 September 2018
If you’re currently in education- AVOID.
They will expect you to prioritise work and will not give you leave to study or visit open days.
NOT supportive in anyway or form.
They are also boring and repetitive jobs that can’t allow you to choose what you e.g tills or shop floor.
Pros
Pay, canteen prices, discount
Cons
Hours, management, realistically not suitable for students
stay clear of milngavie waitrose , Poor management team.,need to learn how to treat their satff and customers ,terrible place to work.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milngavie, East Dunbartonshire30 August 2018
Waitrose milngavie is run by a poor management team who do not know how to roll up their sleeves and help branch when required. Too many managers not enough partners, although you are not treated like a partner in the company. Advice I would give is too stay clear of waitrose milngavie.
Pros
nil
Cons
too many to write
Great benefits but boring.
Part-time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guildford22 August 2018
As an employee you are treated extremely well with lots of opportunity to progress and an end of year bonus as a partner. But the job is extremely repetitive and boring with very little in the way of a fun working atmosphere.
Pros
Partnership
Cons
Dull
Retail
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Godalming, Surrey14 August 2018
Waitrose is like working in most supermarkets - busy, and there's always something to do. Slight problem with under staffing means you'll be asked to do lot's of overtime - good when you need it, bad when you're being pressured to do it.
Not enough staff, too much work to be done.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  North Walsham7 August 2018
Not enough staff for checkouts so you are either pulled from what you are doing on the shop floor, or you're the one chasing around for someone to jump on a till.
Head office management seem completely oblivious as to how understaffed their branches are. With branch management taking the full brunt of the unhappy partners.
Great people to work with, but everyone is grouchy with the stupidly high workloads, which doesn't make for a nice work environment.
You never know what you might be doing when you come in for a shift, as you could be put anywhere in the branch.
Not to mention the bonus is slowly but surely becoming almost non existent, with basic level partners taking home a small amount, and high managers still taking what could be over half an average shop floor workers yearly salary.
You are also loosely payed by performance, if you don't get on with your manager, you could find yourself falling behind with pay increases in comparison to some people who work just as hard, or even less than you.
Pros
Okay pay, people are nice to work with, Waitrose and John Lewis discount
Cons
Not enough staff, benefits slowly going, no progression.
Great first job!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wokingham31 July 2018
worked here as part of my business nvq at 6th form, a brilliant first job to have, the training was great and the whole team was fantastic to work with and you had plenty of chances to move around and try new roles
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes31 July 2018
Working with waitrose was a great experience with a good atmosphere. It helped me learn new skills and make friendships. Waitrose is an enjoyable place to work
Used to be better
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Eastbourne26 July 2018
Its hard giving a review when you used to love the company and now you are looking for other work.
The management are ok, but it seems the "normal" staff do more of the work
Pros
Bonus
Cons
management
Not what it used to be
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rustington22 July 2018
A lot is expected from staff with not much given in return. Low salary (not easy to get to the advertised rate) often unsociable hours (10pm finishes) little flexibility between roles (despite what they say at interview) and unsupportive/uninterested management.
Pros
Great colleagues
Cons
I could go on...
Productive and active environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kings Road21 July 2018
A typical in Waitrose was very active and packed. Everyday was a busy day due to location and the amount of people that either work or are located around that area. As there are so many tasks, I always had to be on my feet and keeping an eye on how much time I am spending per task. I learnt to be disciplined during work, by being full of energy instead of doing the minimal. I learnt about several different foods and products sold by the company, The management in Waitrose was very structured and organized, as well as strict intolerant.. Very nice individuals who do not tolerate any room for laziness, as this leads to a lack of productivity. The hardest part of the job was offloading the evening deliveries as there is usually so much inventory, which could take up to an hour putting away. The most enjoyable part of the job was going on deliveries in the van to deliver home shopping to customers. It was very exciting as well as important as we had to represent the company in a good light when out on deliveries.
enjoyable
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London6 July 2018
This experience taught me patience as well as excellent and effective communication skills. It overall was a great and enjoyable experience which I am grateful to of had.
Pros
hours
Cons
location
Good
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire2 July 2018
Very good. Good pay, flexible hours and the role was very easy to get to learn quickly. The other employees are very friendly and the benefits associated are good.
Productive Workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Croydon7 June 2018
At Waitrose the employee life was very inviting and inclusive. Everyone was made to feel welcome and everyone was very friendly. It was an amzing experience.
Pros
Long and fair breaks
Cons
N/a
depends on which branch you work at.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Warwickshire22 May 2018
Depends on where you work. Some places are run by people who favour others. Therefore you wont get anywhere no matter what you do! It's just day to day job to pay the bills. The benefits you get from JLP are great but that's it. The bonuses are getting smaller with each passing year. Half the staff don't know what they doing which makes it harder for others.
Pros
discount
Cons
no progression
Not to bad good for a first job
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London22 May 2018
Worked at two loactions, first location was very good, really nice atmospehere and lots of variety. Moving to the second loaction, it is not at good, no work variety at all leading to long and boring shifts. Overall management is good as long as you are working hard.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
limited variety