Waitrose & Partners Employee Reviews

Found 1,524 reviews matching the search See all 1,567 reviews
Stock replenishment
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne, East Sussex28 November 2018
Waitrose is an excellent company to work for, I enjoyed my job due to the anti-social hours (slightly better pay and no customers). However there was a problem among management where my contract was removed from the system along with the other temporary staff, causing us to be mis-paid (hours not fully updated) and not being paid at all, which was one of my reasons for leaving in the end.

Night staff were also quite upset that day time staff members were allowed free use of the kitchen and they were also offered free/cheap lunch/breakfast compared to the staff working anti-social hours.
Pros
over time, sufficient breaks, friendly staff and enviroment.
Cons
bad management, long hours, underpaid for overtime.
A very fun, happy and upbeat place to work
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leigh-on-Sea22 November 2018
Being part of the customer service team at Waitrose was my first ever job and it taught me so much. My confidence really blossomed and I developed outstanding communication skills. The Leigh-on-Sea branch ran a great rewards system for positive customer feedback, which helped motivate all the partners. It was a small branch so it really felt like a little family, everyone was so lovely which made working that much more fun. An average shift involved predominantly working on the till and occasionally helping at the customer service desk. The hardest part of the job was probably dealing with unhappy customers, but I learnt how to best deal with these situations.
Not what it used to be, AWFUL!!!
Replenisher (Former Employee) –  Waitrose Thatcham7 November 2018
Wow!! Waitrose has changed, I replaced a lady who left after two months cus she hated it and within less than two momths I’m desperatley going to interviews. I worked at Waitrose in the nineties and it was lovely. Now it is awful, really clicky, no fun at work at very much a silence, cant laugh just work metality. Have to ask before you touch anything, before you get a cage to replenish, before you do anything. Like being back at school.

Dread going in every day and cant wait to leave. Such a shame Waitrose has dropped so low.
Pros
Good pay for what your doing.
Cons
Terrible work enviroment and feel, depressing.
Over worked and under staffed
Assistant team manager (Current Employee) –  Scotland4 November 2018
There is no partnership values as described. Partners used as slaves, doing or expected to do four to five roles in one day. Tasks unable to be completed due to lack of staff. Managers being tasked with a drowning capacity of paperwork, so unable to support partners at crucial times. Company only interested in profit, but don't like you talking about it. Managers salaried, work 50 hours plus just to try and complete their paperwork. Disciplinary culture instilled to chastise and bully partners if jobs not finished. Also huge cliche of managerial partners who only support you if your face fits or your in their social network, adding to the daily stresses and strains.
Pros
JLP discount
Cons
Just about everything else.
Good Luck
Hospitality and Driving Partner (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke22 October 2018
Having worked for the business for a few years my branch had horrific management issues. This ruined the job, in my opinion, as I was lead to feeling unwanted and always dismissed by every manager I spoke to.
On the other hand, I made good friends and I'd say that the people I met made the job rather than the company.
Don't fall for the 'we are all owners as a partner' the company runs just like any other plus other supermarkets pay better.
Pros
good involvement
Cons
Very poor management and pay compared to competitors
Productive workplace
Shop floor assistant (Former Employee) –  Oundle17 October 2018
• Year 1: Replenishing and restocking the store, ensuring a high level of stock management efficiency.
• Year 2: Serving customers on checkouts and responding to customer queries in a polite and professional manner; Customer service and assistance.
• Demonstrating in-depth knowledge of key Health and Safety standards used within the industry.
• Year 3/4: Managing stock control, training new team members in key competencies and office administration.
• Following completion of my degree I was put in contact with head office to gain experience within the retail supply of seafood products.
As good as night replenishment can get
Night Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Crewkerne, Somerset17 October 2018
Work/life balance not great as sleeping alot throughout daytime but then not really in a position to moan when it was my choice to work nights. Great pay which shows their appreciation to their staff. Downfalls are that if you join just after all staff have booked their holiday for the year, then they will book all your holiday for you. Also all new staff who join/joined after Sept 17' get 45 minutes break compared to 1 hour 45 minutes for employees who joined before Sept 17'. Management friendly/understanding. Frequently late notice to be asked to start work earlier, which is a pain in itself considering it's nights. It's night work, so it is what it is I guess.
Pros
Good pay, friendly management
Cons
Breaks
great money for teens, lovely company but management could always be better
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Grinstead, West Sussex8 October 2018
at my workplace i was able to learn alot of skills which was really useful at home such as that of meat and fish and deli. some managers were amazing, some not so much. if you need to communicate something do it yourself as they wont help you out!
not very great options if you want to go further in the job but apprenticeships for some which is good.

loved every minute working there, the people that you work with really make it worthwhile and incredible experience to have. They will take care of you!
Pros
discount in waitrose and JL with other benefits like discounts at the cinema or day trips
Cons
communication between management is always awful
Overall enjoyable workplace
Branch Team Leader (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 October 2018
The company was enjoyable to work for however internal development of some colleagues was neglected a little as some people were 'too good' to move given their skillset. Friendly team excellent communication from head office. HR was fantastic as were benefits in the business. Drawback in the business was since an internal store restructure with removal of sections people lost key knowledge in specific areas even though they were crossed trained and managing a team of over 100 on just one rota was negatively impacting resourcing.
Pros
Good benefits, pay alright, very good HR, employ the right type of people
Cons
since the restructuring in stores communication and resourcing has been difficult
Production and Working
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hailsham, East Sussex10 September 2018
I worked for Waitrose for more than seven years and found them to be a good company, most of the staff were kind and my Job was a Sales Assistant e.g. Cashier on Checkouts.

I found the work to be at times limited and did not provide me with enough of a challenge with the skills and qualifications I had achieved on my CV. I left the company about eight or nine years ago and have been Studying I.T., GCSE English and GCSE Mathematics and Business.

I have had a hard life since with health issues and exercise. I am looking for employment.
Pros
Discount and Benefits and John Lewis Account Card
Cons
Pressure because of some staff issues.
Avoid
ROTA AND PAY CO-ORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire5 September 2018
Overworked & underpaid, lots of unfair rules, for example not everyone gets bonuses for working Sundays or gets paid breaks like others.

Management lack to support assistants, pay is really bad, I was on more working at Tesco!
No flexibility at all with balancing work life, I was promised I would only work 2 Saturdays a month when I was hired, a year later I'm still working every Saturday. I miss out a lot on Social events because of this.

Discount is good and some benefits are OK, but nothing that makes me want to stay permanently with this company.
Pros
Cheap canteen breakfast
Cons
Bad pay and boring job
A good company with unique Partnership aspects.
Cash Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Heathfield7 November 2018
Waitrose is a very good company to work for, they really do all they can to make it a Partnership and it definitely shows. They care about their Partners, and value Partner's opinions. They are constantly asking for Partners to get involved with the business and ask for their feedback to make decisions for the future. I have learnt a lot from working at Waitrose, especially about how important the customer is to a successful business but also to appreciate all the Partners for what they do. The workplace culture is very good, because Partners feel respected and more then just a staff member, they feel included in the team. The John Lewis Partnership is a very unique company to work for and very rewarding.
Pros
You're a valued member of the team, very good benefits.
Cons
No career path within Waitrose.
Hard but satisfying
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Westfield2 September 2018
My first ever workplace, ive seen alot of changes to the waitrose model which has made day to day work at the shop a lot more stressful. Ive learned so many skills over my years there from stacking to legal and compliance. managment are great but somewhat inexperienced due to high turnover. finding the time to do your tasks as you are constantly required to do other things to cover for other people. the colleagues are golden.
Pros
great partners
Cons
bad balance
good place to work managers not the best
Supermarket Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterlooville, Hampshire28 August 2018
the atmosphere at waitrose is good, the partners you work with are good fun people to work with. The jobs you have to do are fairly simple to do and you can get good rewards from dong this. Some of the managers can be vey annoying like most places, for me they disrupt they way i work just to do some job that isn't really needed, but overall good place, good pay if you're young.
Pros
good money for young people
Cons
can be draining
Poor and lazy management
Partner (Current Employee) –  Hythe, Kent1 November 2018
The managers walk around all day watching your every move. When help is needed no one comes. Don’t know how some of the managers even got to their position especially as most of the partners are better skilled and qualified. Rubbish hours and awful pay! Can see why Waitrose are way down the pecking order.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Poor management and poor pay
stay clear of milngavie waitrose , Poor management team.,need to learn how to treat their satff and customers ,terrible place to work.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milngavie, East Dunbartonshire30 August 2018
Waitrose milngavie is run by a poor management team who do not know how to roll up their sleeves and help branch when required. Too many managers not enough partners, although you are not treated like a partner in the company. Advice I would give is too stay clear of waitrose milngavie.
Pros
nil
Cons
too many to write
Productive, enjoyable and friendly working environment
Waitrose Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barnet22 August 2018
From the second I joined Waitrose I was greeted by a friendly family like atmosphere. I didn’t know many people but weeks after working there I felt as if I’d been there for years. The customers are friendly locals and my colleagues were positive and full of energy, making enjoyable to go to work as everyone was on board
Pros
Discount at John Lewis and Waitrose, paid holiday
Cons
Occasional rude customers
Supermarket assistant (Former Employee) –  London3 October 2018
Some days are busy but you are always trained and well-prepared. I learnt something new everyday and if you want there is scope to be up-skilled in other areas of the business.
Management can be a pain in the a** but some are really kind and considerate.
Pros
Partner discount/benefits, Can do overtime at any branch
Cons
Sometimes hard for students to relocate
It was ok
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Sussex23 September 2018
On paper a good place to work. Good pay and benefits. Easy work. The customers are really nice. Easy work. Thorough/helpful training. Always given enough lunch break.

Was told there would be a chance to work in different areas around the store but was always stuck on the till 8 hours straight every shift in the 7 months I worked there. Colleagues were gossipy and cliquey, did not like them. Uniform policy is very strict feels a lot like school. Also found managers patronising. Left due to my poor mental health and did not find managers to be incredibly supportive or easy to talk to. Also I get the sense they only hire people that appear quite middle class however this could just by my specific branch.

I probably wouldn't work here again.
Pros
salary, customers, easy
Cons
strict uniform policy, managers were patronising, mean colleagues
Glad I left
Admin (Former Employee) –  Bracknell29 October 2018
If you are a shop floor worker moving into office work, then this company is for you. If you are an experienced office worker then do not work here.
The atmosphere is unwelcoming and unfriendly. Management are uncaring and not open to ideas that help people be more productive and educated.
Pros
They moved away from Lotus Notes
Cons
Poor management, unfriendly