Waitrose & Partners
Updates from Waitrose & Partners:

Waitrose & Partners Employee Reviews

United Kingdom2,092 reviews
Found 2,092 reviews matching the search
Challenging working environment, the people make the job
I cannot fault Waitrose on the personal development front - if you want to train and develop a career in management within the retail industry, they will invest in you. Its a challenging environment in retail, and we were frequently short-staffed and overstretched, which made for a difficult working environment. If you're after good work-life balance - weekends and evenings off etc - then this isn't the job for you. However, my colleagues were normally supportive around shift swaps and I would usually do all I could to allow shift swaps for my team if they had appointments/events etc that they wanted to attend. Pay was pretty good - based on your performance grading alongside market increases, and the package of additional benefits were excellent. You also get a say in the business - I know some people didn't believe this was effective but I definitely felt more valued than I would have at Tesco or Lidl! I was made redundant when my store closed, and the package offered was excellent.
Great team morale
Everyone worked well together and the team morale was excellent. Made some very close friends working in such an environment.
Always flexible with holiday and working hours.
I worked as warehouse operation
It is a very cold environment. However the management teams are very kind and nice the salary is very better they also have plenty of overtime. Apply at waitrose
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Pressure
best for a supermarket role
out of the retail jobs I've had this was defiantly the best, nice and easily paced perfect for students, lovely work team and good management. However, can be a bit boring and monotonous.
Great workplace
Over my five years at Waitrose I have created great working relationships with Partners and customers. I have developed skills in product knowledge, cashier, food service and barista, and love the fast-paced but co-operative work environment.
It was easy but very repetitive
It was extremely repetitive. You done the same thing day to day. However the pay is good. Hours are good and the people are very nice. I would say if your older then it’s a job better suited for you
Good employer
Staff are happy, friendly and supportive. They tend to promote younger people more than older people with experience but that’s just my experience. Good benefits.
Bullying culture
Bullying culture is rife
Deceitful calculating actions of partners to support management in bullying

Management have total Lacking of empathy towards vulnerable partners
Work
Extremely nice staff, always ready to help.
Fast-paced job at times

Management encouraged us to do better

Activities planned for employees often. nice work place
Welcoming and Enjoyable
The Work is fairly easy and the people who work there are easy to get on with and enjoyable to work with. The employee facilities are very good as well. However, for younger employees it seemed too difficult to get the holiday you wanted.
sales assistant
I worked at the tills, engaged with customers, restocked shop floor. had teams outing on special occasions. Helped directing customers to the section they want
No as great a company as you think it is
Its a case of if your face fits. Managers try but are bound by rules, not as nice a company as it used to be. You have to give alot more than you are rewarded for ie even wages are a lot less than other supermarkets.
Stressful
It can be very stressful as often times you will be understaffed with a big work load. Customers can be demanding as they have come to expect high standards and often lash out in disappointment against you, the partner. Management can be either very supportive or incredibly demanding and apathetic- there is usually no inbetween.
Sales Asisstant
Best place as I have worked can be a bit hectic at times due to lack of staff and no break cover but overall a very enjoyable place to work , no real career progression options for me so unlikely to stay long term.
Skills I’ve learnt
I am very passionate and hard working, I gained many skills during my employment in Waitrose such as organisation, communication and much more. I learnt how to work apart of a team and also lead a team as the years went by. I trained Health and safety to many staff in all sections.
Off putting environment
If you haven’t worked in a supermarket before(like me at the time) there is a big lack of training, they set loads of ground rules and steps to follow but no physical training or help on the shop floor/real guidance is given- this isn’t awful as you do pick it up over time- but just bare it in mind! I also always asked for more hours and they barely gave them out- so the bigger hour contract the better if you want the hours
My 30 day review wasn’t done until probably around 55 days, I didn’t even know who my line manager was?? The managers were very hard to talk too and I often found myself DJing other new starters if they had a clue what we were doing😂
It was a good time
I didn’t always know what was going on re: who was my boss and who my boss’ boss was, and the training for my role was largely informal, but other than that, it was a great job. I’d recommend taking advantage of the “partner” aspect of the company, and befriending all your colleagues
Pros
Good pay, good colleagues
Cons
Could have more training, some very rude customers
Nice working environment
Colleagues/managers were easy to get along with and very helpful
Customers were nice and polite

Flexible with how you work e.g. your shifts could be tailored to best suit you
Waitrose
Enjoyed working for the company for many years until being made redundant. The job was done with good organisation and help was always there if you needed
Friendly co-workers but bad management
I worked on the checkouts but was not trained in other areas this impacted my ability to help customers. Whilst working I was able to gain more duties and train new staff. There was a major lack of communication between staff and management, and my line manager was never around. My colleagues in the store were very friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the customers but this is typical of a customer service job.
Pros
Good pay and discounts, friendly staff.
Cons
Management, not much opportunity for overtime
Productive and a family orientated and fun place to work
fast paced
interacting with customers

management helpful and supportive

mix of operations to do

ability to cross train across different departments
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Waitrose & Partners. Our community is ready to answer.