wagamama Employee Reviews

fun
Line Chef (Former Employee) –  Swindon17 June 2018
loved working here.

excellent place to learn something new.
lots of fun.
management are good.
opened planned kitchen so can watch the staff cook.
would reccomed trying to get a job here.
Pros
everything
Cons
n/a
work like a slave
Head Chef/Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester5 June 2018
whether you are a kp or a head chef when you step in the doors of heaven closes for you in wagamama. the company can only talk big things about taking care of the staff but in reality the staff are just treated like slaves and not respected at all. the senior management does not even listen or care about the staff who actually works, they are racist and i personally have faced discrimination even being a head chef.
Pros
na
Cons
no support
Really cool place to work
FOH Team Member (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London16 May 2018
I worked at Wagamama for just less than a year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Free food per shift is a huge perk, really good for students. It varies from branch to branch but managers I have encountered would mostly accommodate difficult schedules. There's lots of room for promotion in branch, hard workers are well rewarded and there is lots of recognition for hard work. I have made lots of amazing friends at Wagamama.

One drawback would be that in London branches it can be quite stressful, with a fast paced working atmosphere. The structure of the team also means that often if someone calls in sick or is absent, you can be left very short and this makes the shifts very challenging.

Late finishes are also a part of the job, the restaurant closing at 11, often leaving around 12.30.
Pros
Free food, cool vibe, nice team members
Cons
Late finishes, stressful
Great Place
Waiter (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne11 May 2018
Wagamama is one of the best places I have worked today.
They have multiple opportunities for you to grow and progress. Salary is one of the best because we are paid weekly and you receive tips as well. When I leave Wagamama i will be sad. Great people and company.
Pros
Money. Free Food. Great Wages
Cons
Personal life will struggle until you find a good balance
Hard work but worth it
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire8 May 2018
Great company to work for as a chef. If you are looking for a career in cooking this is a great start point for young talented individuals. However you get what you give and if you dont put everything into it progression can be difficult due to it being a very competitive industry.
Pros
Free food, great atmosphere, work for a company you can be proud off
Cons
Shift work, must have passion for the job
kitchen assistant, line chef
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire6 April 2018
I helped with preparations, cooked some dishes of the menu and cleaning sections. It was a hard yet rewarding role which I enjoyed doing as part of the team, which was great.
Good Company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  London3 April 2018
Good company to work for, friendly envyroment, flexible hours, good salary, help the staff to grow up easily providing good training. It's a very busy company, known all over the uk with over 140 restaurants, so you will always find a place to work for them
Great food and good colleagues
Front of House Team Member (Former Employee) –  Wembley15 March 2018
Good opportunity to progress
helpful and friendly team, good environment
Proper training provided before going to join actual job
Good food !!
Yearly staff parties
The best staff but the worst work quality
waitress (Former Employee) –  wagamama12 March 2018
I've worked for Wagamama for approximately a year in one of the busiest venues. While the staff were the best I've worked with in my experience as a waitress, the management was completely unprofessional and untrained, avoiding their responsibilities every time they could, forcing you to work shifts you've not asked for, not answering to any requests you could have for both holidays and week hours and dealing with you in a rude manner if you've decided to ask about it. What intrigued me the most was the fact that Wagamama is a huge leading company, that should reflect some appreciation towards its employees but all they care about is budgets, manager's bonus and how many people they can fit into the restaurant at the same time, but be aware that there can't be any complaints from customers that haven't been served within the first minutes upon arrival EVEN IF you are given the job that would normally be slip between two people. If I will ever feel bad for leaving such a bad review to this company, it would be for the lovely staff that would always be so supportive and understanding in moments of inhumane stress. If you are looking for a place where you can earn a lot of money compared to other restaurants then you are in the right place, but you'll have to have nerves of steel.
Pros
Free meals, lovely staff
Cons
Extremely long shifts, worst management
fun with the right people
Waiter (Former Employee) –  London8 March 2018
it was good to the start with until they make you go on tables. but once you get in to it and you get in to it its half bad. but sometimes managers can be mean but they have all the pressure on them.
Pros
free lunches.
Cons
long stressful hours.
Good pay but that is it.
Front of House Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Bridgend, Bridgend4 March 2018
While they pay is excellent, the management are not ideal, they focus solely on money and very little goes into creating a happy working environment. If you do not match what they are looking for which changes from manager to manager they will try to force you out.
Pros
discounted food in all wagamama
Cons
poor management
Unprofessional
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Bristol Cabot Circus19 February 2018
I was offered a job at Bristol Cabot Circus after a good trial shift (I have worked in hospitality before). Management said they would email me to arrange my training day/first proper shift but never bothered to do so. Very unprofessional conduct. I would rather they emailed to say they had changed their minds than just ignore me.

Management were also very funny with me wanting to only work a few days a week, as I am doing a full time course. This might be why they changed their minds, but would have been better to tell me so.

I now work for Costa, with very sociable hours, flexible and kind management and better pay.
Pros
Friendly team
Cons
Unprofessional management
Fun
Line Chef (Former Employee) –  Uxbridge, Greater London17 February 2018
Good workplaces, employees are fun and exiting and they teach you a lot, busy environment but if you are in need of help someone will come round and help and that's good team work.
Pros
Free lunches
Stressful but grateful
FOH Team Member (Current Employee) –  St Albans31 January 2018
I enjoy working here because I get paid weekly which is very nice, plus the pay is good. It's not easy to develop in wagamamas, they'd rather look for someone on the outside rather than internal development which is why people leave so often. In addition to that, we get our new rota every friday, making it incredibly hard to plan the week ahead with people. We get weekends off every blue moon and there is clear favouritism between some managers and employees. There is a clear system of hierachy and abuse of power from managers which does not go unnoticed.
Pros
Free food, we often get bought sweets, chocolates etc
Cons
Hierachy, rota, favouritism
In regards to responses or no response should i say.
Unknown (Former Employee) –  Unknown25 January 2018
There PR are terrible at getting back to (i.e) customers and queries in regards to employment opportunities.
It's nice to have some acknowledgement, but none at all.
Fun
Senior sous chef (Former Employee) –  Wales23 January 2018
Good company fast promotions excellent pay and working enviroment fast growing company chance for internal qaulifications meals on shift travel expenses paid
Pros
Meals on shift
Cons
The staff are lovely and friendly to work with
Line Chef (Current Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk19 January 2018
I have found Wagamamas a good place to work for but personally feel like it is not what I see as a ‘chef’ job there is no real art or passion to the food that is made though it is a good job and good food.
Pros
Free food is always good
Cons
Not enough hours and a lot of stress
Great company
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Manchester19 January 2018
Wagamama is a brilliant company to work for with a great ethos and fantastic work culture. The hardest part of the job is working the split shifts which often leads you to wonder around for hours waiting to return to work.
Grate place to work
Chef (Former Employee) –  Gateshead12 January 2018
Lovely place to work really nice people nice food good pay and Lovely restaurant only thing is can get really busy but other then that would rate this ten out ov ten
Pros
3 meal free if u work full day
Cons
place where you can be yourself
Front of House (Former Employee) –  Watford4 January 2018
be you be wagamama, that's real. Managment structure is well build it require a strong and close cooperations between GM, managers and team members. Hardest thing was handling with complaints due to internal policy.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
non regular working hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at wagamama. Our community is ready to answer.