wagamama Employee Reviews

busy enviroment
KP (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire6 January 2019
i've been as kitchen porter initial and after i signed the contract, my duties beeing over the KP work also as a Line chef, for same the amount of money per hour contracted. duties involved was as KP plus help with food prep, but apart of someone to give help as kitchen porter, never... :(

Bad Company and experience as well.

Good luck who can resist in
Pros
free meal at the breaks
Cons
busy plus rota shifts being very tiring and stresfull
Good salary but favourtism.
Line Chef (Former Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands26 December 2018
I worked there for a year but I had to leave because only brown noser and if you’re fellow countryman of head chef you can get benefits like morning shifts (some people has fix shifts, no rotation). Forget to have personal life.
Pros
Free meal, friendly Colleagues.
Cons
Rota, management
Horrible place to work
Line chef/Black belt (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester9 November 2018
The worst place I have ever worked for.
Illegal working hours, working 14-15 hours a day, sometimes with no breaks. After a split shift you are lucky if you get 4-5 hours of sleep, because you have to get back to the kitchen at 8am the next day ( basically the same day). Being forced to do 6-7 days a week, highly understaffed. People just walk out of the place which also tell a lot about the company.
Way too much of preps need to be done every day, very high expectations, you are just running like a donkey for someone who doesn’t even know you exist. Very unfair tips 85% FOH - 15% BOH , where is that fair???
Too much of pressure every day
Managers are mainly under qualified, their position is only related to the time they have spent with the company, no knowledge required. In case you have knowledge, better keep quiet or just leave. Quiet donkeys are highly appreciated.
The company only gives big speeches about taking care of the employees but they actually do not care about them at all.
Working for this company makes you feel you are worthless and brainless
Different rules for BOH and FOH, FOH is always the winner.
Very unfair company in each and every way!!!
Poor
Junior Manager (Former Employee) –  Wales8 November 2018
Absolute shambles of a company. Avoid this company at all costs.
Spent 6 years with the company and got to management level. The GM's (I had 4 within 8 months of employment) were good but given different direction from all of them so training was the worst I'd ever received. Training and development was very very poor. Area Manager gives unrealistic targets. Then head office complains that you've got complaints because you've had to cut labour so you can't manage an effective team which sometimes results in you not having a break when managing shifts.
Good pay, tipping policy and working benefits in fairness.
Pros
Pay, free food
Cons
Senior Management, Long shifts
proffesional and reliable work place
KITCHEN ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham, Gloucestershire4 November 2018
The role of kitchen assistant is fairly straight forward. on a typical split shift it involves assisting with food prep and generally setting the restaurant up for service. this is followed by a 2-3 hour break and then the evening shift (usually from around 5-11).
Pros
good hourly pay
Cons
late evening shifts
Good working place
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire28 October 2018
Its a area were you must maintain a clean work area and working with strict hygiene standards. I'd work extra shifts when there wouldn't be that may staff around.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
8 hours per day
False promises and terrible management
FOH (Former Employee) –  Gloucester Quays, Gloucestershire15 October 2018
- Nearly 3months of unnecessary training could have been in a paid job!

- Employing staff with no personality or common sense..funny when wagamanas favorite line is 'Be wagamama, be you'

- Management team were absolutely clueless, didn't have a clue what they were doing and really really lazy

- Management got better tips than us for standing around chatting all the time

- They would come into work still drunk from the previous night!

- Regional manager was the rudest most unprofessional person I have ever met and the reason I left

- The general manager was two-faced and lied to me from the start

- Promised hours and tips when you start that was never seen
Pros
Free food
productive
Sushi chef (Former Employee) –  cyprus, larnaca29 September 2018
It is a good company. I like their dishes. working environment is not bad but not very good. Salary structure is poor. Management body and managing system should be improved. Overall I wish it will be the best in future.
About working at Wagamama
Front of House Staff (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff26 September 2018
Wagamama is a good company to work for..as a waiter at wagamama, i and my colleagues were trained by some lovely trainers..we were taught to be friendly and to care about each other and our guests etc, but the way our management treats us is a bit different..yes they listen to us but they will give you loads of work to do for example when closing the restaurant and all they do is go and sit in the office and play candy crush..well I understand the manager shouldn’t do much but when there’s loads of work to do I expect them to assist us...the other thing is favouritism..if the management doesn’t like you then thats it for you..you won’t be promoted no matter how good you are.salaries are good as we also get tips although they are taxed....rotas are issued on a friday or even Saturday yet the week starts on Monday meaning you don’t have time to plan for whatever you might wanna do in the following week.
Pros
(More hours more free food), getting paid weekly, lovely staff, tips shared between everyone both waiters and chefs as well as kitchen porters.
Cons
Rota coming out late, getting less hours whereas some get loads of hours, favouritism
ok company
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands15 September 2018
good company to work for, great pay and benefits (only at senior manager level)

not a lot of support even if asking for it

great teams and people culture
very busy
Junior Manager (Former Employee) –  Oxford12 September 2018
Wagamama is a very busy place to work;
free meal is a plus;
manager culture can be a over aggressive some times;
great place to learn ;
the "be yourself" culture is amazing
Pros
free meal
Cons
long hours / lack os staff
Terrible Management / hours
Waiter/Bar Staff/Host (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford12 September 2018
Working at the Chelmsford Wagamama was the most meantally destroying and stressful job I have ever done! The GM / assistant GM are terrible at their job and let their stress flow throughout the team, during a team briefing the GM even openly voiced to all the staff that he’s thinking about quitting! It was the most unprofessional and demotivating thing I have ever witnessed! so here are some wise words of advice.. just don’t bother working for the Chelmsford branch.
Pros
The front of house staff
Cons
Terrible GM / Assistant GM and very unorganised
So bad!
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Cheshire6 September 2018
I worked for wagamama for a few months and trust me that's all it took for me to decide it wasn't the job for me. Firstly they begin with all these promises, for example it's easy to climb the ladder and become a line chef, that's true if they like you, if they don't you're stuck being a kitchen Porter and just a kitchen Porter.

My jobs included washing the dishes, taking them on to the line, taking out the bins, washing and placing the rice in the oven, bagging noodles and brushing the line floor, so as you can imagine on a busy day it was not fun at all especially if you were on your own.

As I mentioned before there was a lot of favoritism, it wasn't a case of if you could prove yourself you could move up, no not in the slightest.

They're were a few managers that were a bit unprofessional and would give you tasks on the clean down while they sat in the office and then complain certain things hadn't been done properly or they would just boss you around and tell you to get things because they were too lazy and this was on the close down. one manager even came up to me and smashed a bowl infront of me because it had a hole in it and of course I had to clean it up. I was also threatened to be fired for bumping into somebody while taking out some plates.

The hours are very unsocialble and if you've got an inspection coming up, be prepared to stay till 2 in the morning.

Eventually I handed in my notice as I had found another job. To then receive a letter 3 days after I had already finished saying that I had been fired.

I'm not saying every restaurant is going
  more... to be like this, this was just my experience.  less
Pros
Free meals on shift, weekly pay
Cons
Unsociable hours, poor management
Good team matters
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames5 September 2018
Wagamama is a great company to work for. The only thing which matters the most is a team and your managers. Always see on your trial shift how are people behaving between each other, because this is how most likely they will treat you.
Disappointing
Team Member (Former Employee) –  London28 August 2018
I was accepted as a full-time but got only 13-20 hours a week (working 5days and only for 3-5 hours)... Very disappointed. Staff was rude. I will never come back to work for Wagamama.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short hours
The place is a joke
Line Chef (Former Employee) –  Trowbridge, Wiltshire14 August 2018
Poor pay no respect expected to work yourself into the ground for a big chain to produce mediocre food that’s not fresh 80%, no chef skills apply here
Pros
Can’t think of any
Cons
To progress you have to be friends with management or a brown noser
hum
Junior Sous Chef (Current Employee) –  uk14 August 2018
go in get hand over from morning manager or from hand over email put orders away do orders work out what needs doing for the day etc and then sort the team out ready for the day and keep pushing them
Pros
free food on shift if you can get a break
fast workplace
Junior Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Sevenoaks2 August 2018
this work is a very fast place to work, if your into rush/adrenaline is definitely the right job to go for. Salary is ok, not enough for what tasks they ask you to do. learned alot from this place from KP to management. hardest part of the job is cleaning with less member of the staff. most enjoyable part of the job is the rush and people you work with exclude any management team
Pros
free lunches and drinks
Cons
lond hours, cleaning
Best Avoided
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wales18 July 2018
Worked for here about a year ago and I hated every minute of it mangers are bullies and training was pitiful wouldn’t recommed this job to anyone and best avoided
Amazing team
Strong leader of customer support staff (Current Employee) –  London3 July 2018
Amazing team in Royal Festival hall. I learned a lot of Wagamama. I learned how to be organised, focused and how to be nice with people if you have one thousand things to do.
Pros
1 lunch
Cons
50 hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at wagamama. Our community is ready to answer.