Vue Cinemas Employee Reviews

Unsatisfactory
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lancaster4 October 2018
There's three different roles you undertake as a customer assistant. And sometimes, those roles are disturbed fairly, however there were long periods of time where people would be stuck cleaning screens/toilets every shift for weeks.

The management were fickle and allowed their opinions to influence the amount of hours people got each week. For such little wage, you need to be working about 18hrs a week to make a decent amount for a student. But, if management don't like you, some weeks you're only given 4hrs, when other people (on a similar availability and such) would be given 20+hrs.

The customers, while fine most of the time, will flip attitudes the moment you attempt to ID them (as per the company policy). I had obscene things said to me while working here and management just expect you got get over it. Also, a few members of staff (very few) say obscene things all the time and they seem to be allowed, despite making many people uncomfortable.

Honestly, don't work here. It's demeaning and you won't earn enough to make it worth your while.
Pros
Free Tickets
Cons
Management, rubbish pay, unfair rota system.
I spit in your Ice Blast
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, Lancashire2 October 2018
It is very easy to spit in every Ice Blast you serve if you make sure to have the spit ready in your hand for when you put the lid on. Post-mix drinks are trickier but doable.
Pros
Spitting in ice blasts
Cons
The risk of getting caught spitting in ice blasts
Great people, Terrible environment.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Longwell Green27 September 2018
After working for the company, I had realised that the management will treat certain staff differently. I know this is in many places but I believe that being grateful and making every one of the staff members feel appreciated makes the job easier... but it didn't seem like that here!

If you want to have full time hours, you have to be a good seller because thats all they care about or you have to work constantly over the holiday periods and when blockbuster films come out.

If you would like a minimal paying job that expects you to 1. know EVERYTHING about the company 2. wants you to put in maximum effort with no thank you or gratitude... then this is the perfect job for you.

Everyone was a pleasure to work with and I have definitely made friends for life there but everyone needs to constantly watch their back as the GM will review CCTV from every hour of every day.

I'm praying for everyone that decides to work for this company.
Pros
Discount on food, free tickets and people are brilliant!
Cons
they essentially own your life if you want to be full time.
Amazing management and benefits
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Altrincham25 September 2018
Amazjng management who always put their staff first, people I work with are lovely and the benefits of free cinema tickets is great. Minimum wage isn’t great however the job is not too strenuous and therefore you cannot complain. Perfect job for a student as hours are so flexible.
Pros
Cinema tickets
Cons
Minimum wage
Not worth it
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh24 September 2018
While some elements of the job were fun and the other staff were great it's just not worth it. The customers were rude and blamed every slight inconvenience and the prices on us, pay was minimum, no consistency with hours, sometimes got as little as 8 hours a week, the quality of cleaning/food hygiene is really poor, and you're pressured to up-sell a lot so you're being paid the bare minimum to cheat customers. I quit my other job because they said they couldn't hire me unless I could work Friday nights/Saturday mornings and then they never put me on these shifts. Awful company.
Pros
Free tickets, some fun
Cons
Poor ethics
Great job for A-Level students but not great pay
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Croydon23 September 2018
Vue cinemas is an alright place to work, the other staff were lovely and the managers are nice but often lacked communication between each other. The pay isn't great considering you work pretty hard and solidly with the expectation to push sales
Pros
40% off of all Vue products, four free family friend tickets a week and unlimited free personal tickets, flexible hours.
Cons
Rubbish pay for busy working environment, inefficient stock system, lack of communication between managers and often broken equipment.
Fun work environment
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cardiff22 September 2018
Vue was a great place to work and the staff were what made it even better. Unfortunately the pay was minimum when I felt like it should've been equal to previous jobs I had worked.
Cons
Hours were too short, low pay
Fun to work in
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Glasgow14 September 2018
Great job but the working hours are very challenging, many times I came home at 3am from a shift. However, the colleagues were fun to work with. Plus, free tickets to the cinema
Thankless
Customer assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff13 September 2018
I worked at Vue for a little over three years, and in this time I have watched the branch I worked at go from being the quietest cinema in the city, to being one of the busiest before having a complete overhaul in management and sliding into pandemonium.

In terms of the actual work, the job is really just a standard retail job, but without the retail wages. You won't get paid any extra for working late or working on holidays as the position is technically in the entertainment industry. They will pay you as little as they are legally obliged to, and your hours are not guaranteed from week to week.

The opportunities for advancement are severely exaggerated. They do not come around often, and they are very rarely permanent. And I do regret to say that the management are not very supportive of people who apply for these positions. In fact I have been dissuaded from pursuing even a very basic advancement by members of the management team.

I worked very hard at this job, and my big takeaway from it was that it just was not appreciated. Don't apply. You can do better.
Pros
Free films
Cons
Few hours, disengaged management, petty customers
Awful
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Farnborough, Hampshire11 September 2018
spent 2 years and only ever got 4 hours a week on a very low salary. only upside is free tickets. after working here no other jobs will take you on... I had to pay for my own transport and was made to clean up sick and scrub toilets. my shifts were always cancelled last minute. camberley managers are lovely but Farnborough's are awful. definitely would NOT recommend anyone to work here.
Pros
free ticket once a week
Cons
4 hours or less a week
Worst job.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wales10 September 2018
Vue was my first ever job, and surprisingly I stayed there for 3 years as it fit well around my studies. I was a very shy person and clearly this was seen by everyone. The issue I had with this job is the management chose their favorite, if you weren't one of them, then they didn't care. There would be times, concessions would be very busy with guests and one of the workers was off in the office having a gossip for 2 HOURS. Then, the manager had the audacity to come out and yell at myself and the other girl for leaving the work area a mess. The managers didn't care to help me in times of need, and would rather sit around and chit chat with their favorite employees. Yes, work is meant to be like a family, but I was never accepted. People would leave me to struggle and clean a screen of 150+ by myself, while they stood and gossiped and then got annoyed if I was rude to them.
Having to sweep up popcorn with a BROKEN dust pan and brush, was near impossible. Yet, we weren't allowed to leave unless the screens were spotless. So, if we were meant to be out by 1.30 AM, that didn't matter, we would be leaving at 3, even later.
Hours are flexible, but sometimes bare. Depends on the season, you could have 4 hour week, or a 25 hour week.
I worked in 2 Vue establishments, and both had the same values. Push your customers for large, even little kids. If not, watch out they would NOT be happy.
You do get free tickets for yourself and guests, and 40% off concessions.. So, that makes up for minimum wage.
Overall, rude management, bad values. If I had no other option to being unemployed
  more... or work here again well... I'm off to the job center.  less
Pros
Discount
Cons
Management, late finishes, bad pay.
A fun workplace which is made by the people
Team Leader/Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  South West4 September 2018
Working for Vue is a lot like working any big retail company. It sometimes seems like the higher ups don't understand whatsoever how the company is run on the ground level, and this can often be frustrating when any failures or issues are leveled on those on the ground level. But the actual process of working there is fairly laid back and professional. They keep a tight ship, and the managers you have with you onsite tend to be people you can talk to and they understand what it's like to work there as most of them have worked their way up to where they are. Overall I would recommend working for Vue if a retail job is what you are after right now, but there isn't normally much room for growth so don't go in expecting a career out of it.
Pros
Free tickets and a discount on food and drink
Cons
Not that many hours to go around and little room for growth
Cooperate, enjoyable and tiring
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  London11 August 2018
I worked at Vue for over a year and thoroughly enjoyed my time there as I had a great team and decent management. I would say that the pay could be higher given the workload and late finishes.
Pros
Free film tickets and discount off concessions
Cons
Late finishes
If you care: stay away
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, Lancashire8 August 2018
I worked at Lancaster Vue for two years and while I generally liked the job despite some demeaning work and entitled customers I felt good working in an industry I actually cared about, despite being a very small cog.

I worked hard, took shifts during busy periods, showed I wanted to progress at Vue for my time there but one personal situation gave them the excuse to fire me and they were more than happy to take it.

They don't care about staff, so if you want to work there just treat it like an obligation and get their money; and certainly don't actually care. It will not be appreciated. I'm sure that's all they want. Passionate staff will only lose.
Pros
Free movies
Cons
A reduction in self worth
Stay far, far away
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands3 August 2018
An absolute train wreck of an organisation that I've ever had the displeasure to work for. Unprofessional to the highest degree, and workers are treated like dogs by the management. Pay is minimum, but the amount of tasks managers burden you with, with the pathetic pay in mind is completely laughable. They expect way too much for the little they give you.

Rotas are dismal, more often than not, the place will be overstaffed on quiet days, and understaffed on busy days, of which there are many, which proceeds to increase pressure on those on shift.

Expect to be cleaning pretty much all the time, unless you're put on tills, then you'll have to deal with customers who are also the worst, given the area the cinema is in, and will often have you feeling frustrated and miserable. Don't expect any support from managers when faced with an abusive customer, as they will typically hide away in their office and leave you to fend for yourself. Most of the time, they'll just apologise and offer refunds to said customers who disrespected you. You will hate yourself every shift, and ask yourself why you would do this to yourself.

They also require you to be available for closes, which normally finish at 3am, but can go up to 5am, often making you do arbitrary and idiotic tasks.

No incentives to encourage you to work harder. Three movie tickets per week is all you're getting. 40% off snacks would be good, but they're so overpriced that it isn't that much better. And don't EVER expect them to give out free snacks. This company is ridiculously stingy, to the point that they make
  more... you clock out for a 30 minute break.

With over 120 employees, you are expendable, and they'll just keep on hiring newer, unsuspecting people who aren't aware how horrible the place really is, which, in turn, will severely reduce your own hours unless you're tight with management.

There is some much more to say, but these are just the main points. Seriously consider if you REALLY, REALLY need this job. The physical and mental hardships you will endure will truly put you to the test, and most likely, will not be worth it.
Pros
Free Movies
Cons
Ridiculous hours/finishes, Awful management, No regard for employees
not as good as reel
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth31 July 2018
I worked at both reel and vue cinemas and reel cinema had better management but vue was better to work for. the pros were free films and the cons were management
Pros
free films
Cons
management
Very good
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire16 July 2018
This job is very good!!! The managers are very good and so helpful and the whole team is very good, I really enjoy working there and would recommend it
Pros
Free films, mangers
Cons
Minimum pay
Awful - never work here
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Staines-upon-Thames15 July 2018
management treat staff like dirt

£5.60 / hour is not worth the work you do.

a frozen reheated hotdog at this absolute hole is worth more than an hour of my hard work.

general manager fired entire team to make way for her friends from her previous job.
Pros
Leaving
Excellent
Cinema Manager (Current Employee) –  Darlington20 June 2018
Excellent company to work for with great benefits and great opportunities to progress. Also have the opportunity to travel and work for the same company in virtually any city or town in the uk
Benefits
Cons
Working hours
Ok
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Westwood31 May 2018
Job is okay, however not enough hours, can also feel as if all staff struggle to work as a team. That being said sometimes works around your availability though can often cause issues when not needed