Vue Cinemas Employee Reviews

Fun but can be very demanding and repetitive
Vue Cinemas as a Customer assistant (Former Employee) –  Fulham Broadway Station6 December 2018
I learned quite a lot with Vue such as how to communicate with customers well and how to deal with certain problems. However the pay there is quite poor especially if you're a younger worker and it is your first job if the pay was better I probably would have stayed longer.
Pros
Free Tickets and Food occasionally
Cons
Demanding shifts and poor pay
Point of VUEw
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Longwell Green, Bristol24 November 2018
Started working at this company some time ago, it was amazing to hear that I got the job and could not wait to get started.

When I started there was company benefits, by upselling you were given points to use to get free food/drink, staff screenings on a regular basis, t-shirts to promote upcoming films.. although all that is now gone (bar the discount, it is VERY rare to now get t-shirts and a staff screening). If there was a staff screening of an about to be released film.. good luck asking for it to be shown before the public get to see it, even if the film has been unlocked and ready to start playing, you will either see it the same time as them (in the same screen) or a few days after. You will wear a cap on shift no matter what you are on.

The progression is tough, as long as you are getting stuck in on daily cleaning tasks, stocking up and serving to an exceptional level then you could eventually be accepted onto "Level 2", which is essentially training to become a future Team Leader. Now if you are someone relishing the chance to take this on and have been there for quite some time then apply, but I will warn you.. you can do all the cleaning tasks in their book every day of the week and not make the cut.. you can be passionate and hungry for the chance to further your career and be their hardest worker but, no dice.

What? You got L2, that's huge! Now as L2 you will continue to do CA shifts and on occasion's you will be on with a manager doing a opening/closing of the cinema, giving you tips and tricks to know more and more until you have completed the training
  more... (if one of the already appointed TL's drops out, then you will more than likely take their place and thus not work any CA shifts again upon completion).

Some staff are a pleasure to work with and some can get under your skin and want to pull every last hair on your head out, New starters tend to not last long with many dropping out from their first shift to giving it a few months.. hence why this branch is always hiring. The five managers (3 TL's) are also a pleasure to work with, each giving feedback to what you can do better/things you should not do in order for you to improve yourself.. although the GM will check CCTV on a daily HOURLY basis to make sure staff are setting the standards to an all-time high.. so find something (ANYTHING!!) to do so you will not get told off. The GM just wants you to do well and not "faff" around.

The rota is done on a weekly basis and you are given hours on their website, to which you can see when you are working.. if you are unhappy with your shift and would like to swap it with a colleague then I warn you to not waste your breath and effort in a bid to rid yourself of that working day.

Booking days off is easy to do and most will be approved with a rather generous (28 days paid holiday, 4 hours). However if booking days off in December, it will be rejected ASAP. They have yet to scrap the £3.99 Mondays offer despite tickets being now only £4.99 every day, all day.. which needs to go ASAP given the recent uproar of admits.

All in all, not the best/not the worst job to go for.. the only thing they can work on is their progression process.. which is absolutely atrocious.
Pros
Discount, free films, friendly colleagues/managers
Cons
Progression
Awful, awful, awful, (free films), awful
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Longwell Green, Bristol12 November 2018
Awful job, this is essentially a fast food and cleaner job.

- Company has a quota to hire way too many staff (for tax reasons I imagine) and so everyone is on a minimum 4 hour contract, meaning one week you will work 4 hours the next 30 hours. Wasn't that bad for me because I was a student but if you have rent to pay you've got no chance.

- Managers seemed to get incentives for sending staff home early/cutting back on staff being in (and thus wages).

- A few members of management were borderline bullies, constantly undermining me and other staff, insinuating I was faking when I was ill, shouting at me for getting things wrong on the till (what do you expect when you ask me to remember 30+ promotions). I felt very uncomfortable when these managers were in and I think they knew it.

- No room to progress.

- If you don't upsell well you are shamed to the branch in an effort to guilt trip you into upselling more.

- Workforce generally really nice and you get free films. Other than that there were no other positives.
Pros
Free films
Cons
Everything else
Fun to work for!
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire4 November 2018
I loved working for Vue! It's one of my favourite companies I have ever worked for. The management were so supportive, as of times I had really bad anxiety and depression. They worked around me to help me as much as possible. A typical day was serving customers on the tills, serving food and drinks, cleaning screens, piracy checks and managing on gate, I loved all of this. The benefits were incredible for someone who is obsessed with films. Free cinema tickets for you and up to 3 people, private screenings before general release and 40% discount off food and drinks. I loved the team I worked with. We worked hard but had such great laughs!

The reason I left was because it's not great hours. I was only contracted for couple of hours a week. You can get overtime if it's a busy period but it's a job that is seasonal. If i had full time hours I would definitely of stayed, You can't really get that unless you are management. It's perfect if you are still in education.
Pros
great benefits, supportive management, great work culture, fun work
Cons
not much hours
Great working environment
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westfield Stratford City, Greater London31 October 2018
A typical day is serving customers, working fast and being customer friendly. I learnt how to work well in a group and how to make the customer happy. The workplace culture is fun, friendly and professional. The hardest part of the job is working fast during busy periods. The most enjoyable is working behind the tills and interacting with customers.
Pros
Lots of flexible hours available
Cons
Busy weekends
Simply terrible
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire26 October 2018
The job itself isn't bad, what makes it worse is that management are just horrid, if you're not liked you're gonna have a hard time on shift and you won't get many rostered hours. Pay is poor but made slightly better by free tickets. Customers are generally alright until you follow company policy of asking for ID or occasional bag checks and then it's just constant abuse given. You could do so much for the company and very rarely they'll pay you back, i.e. you could put 30/40/50 hours in one week and always come in for extra shifts or early and stay late but you barely even got a thanks, there's no inconvinent hours pay and whan you work a close (which could mean leaving at 3am) they won't pay for your taxi home meaning that you instantly loose two hours of the pay you've just earnt. You could also be the best upseller and prefer working tills but just end up being on "floor" which consists of cleaning screens and toilets, and standing around for hours on end just tearing tickets.
Most of the other staff are lovely but if you fall out with a "buddy" who basically do some of the managers jobs for them but have no official authority they make your life at work hard by making everyone "gang up" on you and dump you to just tear tickets for your full 8h shift.

Overall wouldn't recommend working for the company.
Pros
Free tickets
Cons
Management, Customers, Pay
So good!!
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Basingstoke20 October 2018
Best job I’ve had, pay isn’t the best but what do you expect for a customer assistance job, staff are all so friendly and absolutely love working here!!
Pros
Everything!
Cons
Hours can be 4 a week
Avoid at all costs.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carlisle, Cumbria19 October 2018
Not enough words to describe how badly this cinema is run. Avoid this place at all costs. Minimum wage when working on a bank holiday until 1am. Management are best friends with certain staff who spend their WHOLE shift in the managers office. Leaving you on your own. Get your shift 1 day in advance. Can only offer 4 hour contracts. WORK ANYWHERE BUT HERE.
Fun
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Inverness18 October 2018
The job it's self was fun. Got to see all the latest films several times over for free.Met lots of interesting people and movie nerds. Late nights were a bummer though.
Movie for free
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  London11 October 2018
It's a good job if you like movies and want to work in a place where everything is just about movies.. and combo menus
You have movie for free for you and your friends as benefit
Unsatisfactory
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lancaster4 October 2018
There's three different roles you undertake as a customer assistant. And sometimes, those roles are disturbed fairly, however there were long periods of time where people would be stuck cleaning screens/toilets every shift for weeks.

The management were fickle and allowed their opinions to influence the amount of hours people got each week. For such little wage, you need to be working about 18hrs a week to make a decent amount for a student. But, if management don't like you, some weeks you're only given 4hrs, when other people (on a similar availability and such) would be given 20+hrs.

The customers, while fine most of the time, will flip attitudes the moment you attempt to ID them (as per the company policy). I had obscene things said to me while working here and management just expect you got get over it. Also, a few members of staff (very few) say obscene things all the time and they seem to be allowed, despite making many people uncomfortable.

Honestly, don't work here. It's demeaning and you won't earn enough to make it worth your while.
Pros
Free Tickets
Cons
Management, rubbish pay, unfair rota system.
I spit in your Ice Blast
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, Lancashire2 October 2018
It is very easy to spit in every Ice Blast you serve if you make sure to have the spit ready in your hand for when you put the lid on. Post-mix drinks are trickier but doable.
Pros
Spitting in ice blasts
Cons
The risk of getting caught spitting in ice blasts
Great people, Terrible environment.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Longwell Green27 September 2018
After working for the company, I had realised that the management will treat certain staff differently. I know this is in many places but I believe that being grateful and making every one of the staff members feel appreciated makes the job easier... but it didn't seem like that here!

If you want to have full time hours, you have to be a good seller because thats all they care about or you have to work constantly over the holiday periods and when blockbuster films come out.

If you would like a minimal paying job that expects you to 1. know EVERYTHING about the company 2. wants you to put in maximum effort with no thank you or gratitude... then this is the perfect job for you.

Everyone was a pleasure to work with and I have definitely made friends for life there but everyone needs to constantly watch their back as the GM will review CCTV from every hour of every day.

I'm praying for everyone that decides to work for this company.
Pros
Discount on food, free tickets and people are brilliant!
Cons
they essentially own your life if you want to be full time.
Amazing management and benefits
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Altrincham25 September 2018
Amazjng management who always put their staff first, people I work with are lovely and the benefits of free cinema tickets is great. Minimum wage isn’t great however the job is not too strenuous and therefore you cannot complain. Perfect job for a student as hours are so flexible.
Pros
Cinema tickets
Cons
Minimum wage
Not worth it
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh24 September 2018
While some elements of the job were fun and the other staff were great it's just not worth it. The customers were rude and blamed every slight inconvenience and the prices on us, pay was minimum, no consistency with hours, sometimes got as little as 8 hours a week, the quality of cleaning/food hygiene is really poor, and you're pressured to up-sell a lot so you're being paid the bare minimum to cheat customers. I quit my other job because they said they couldn't hire me unless I could work Friday nights/Saturday mornings and then they never put me on these shifts. Awful company.
Pros
Free tickets, some fun
Cons
Poor ethics
Great job for A-Level students but not great pay
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Croydon23 September 2018
Vue cinemas is an alright place to work, the other staff were lovely and the managers are nice but often lacked communication between each other. The pay isn't great considering you work pretty hard and solidly with the expectation to push sales
Pros
40% off of all Vue products, four free family friend tickets a week and unlimited free personal tickets, flexible hours.
Cons
Rubbish pay for busy working environment, inefficient stock system, lack of communication between managers and often broken equipment.
Fun work environment
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cardiff22 September 2018
Vue was a great place to work and the staff were what made it even better. Unfortunately the pay was minimum when I felt like it should've been equal to previous jobs I had worked.
Cons
Hours were too short, low pay
Fun to work in
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Glasgow14 September 2018
Great job but the working hours are very challenging, many times I came home at 3am from a shift. However, the colleagues were fun to work with. Plus, free tickets to the cinema
Thankless
Customer assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff13 September 2018
I worked at Vue for a little over three years, and in this time I have watched the branch I worked at go from being the quietest cinema in the city, to being one of the busiest before having a complete overhaul in management and sliding into pandemonium.

In terms of the actual work, the job is really just a standard retail job, but without the retail wages. You won't get paid any extra for working late or working on holidays as the position is technically in the entertainment industry. They will pay you as little as they are legally obliged to, and your hours are not guaranteed from week to week.

The opportunities for advancement are severely exaggerated. They do not come around often, and they are very rarely permanent. And I do regret to say that the management are not very supportive of people who apply for these positions. In fact I have been dissuaded from pursuing even a very basic advancement by members of the management team.

I worked very hard at this job, and my big takeaway from it was that it just was not appreciated. Don't apply. You can do better.
Pros
Free films
Cons
Few hours, disengaged management, petty customers
Awful
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Farnborough, Hampshire11 September 2018
spent 2 years and only ever got 4 hours a week on a very low salary. only upside is free tickets. after working here no other jobs will take you on... I had to pay for my own transport and was made to clean up sick and scrub toilets. my shifts were always cancelled last minute. camberley managers are lovely but Farnborough's are awful. definitely would NOT recommend anyone to work here.
Pros
free ticket once a week
Cons
4 hours or less a week