Vue Cinemas Employee Reviews

Cooperate, enjoyable and tiring
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  London11 August 2018
I worked at Vue for over a year and thoroughly enjoyed my time there as I had a great team and decent management. I would say that the pay could be higher given the workload and late finishes.
Pros
Free film tickets and discount off concessions
Cons
Late finishes
Gone downhill
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire9 August 2018
The one star has been given only because the people I worked with were all nice. The job was initially fun and enjoyable when I started. However the place went downhill and became target based with no staff incentives. Staff are expected to basically force customers into buying things that they don't want and the are overworked for shockingly low pay. The managers are friendly but can be unorganised and there is clear favouritism between the general manager and some members of staff. Customer Assistants are only on 4 hour contracts and hours are very up and down with no stability, however in busy periods the company requires full flexibility from staff and it is hard to get days off. They constantly try to save money meaning that the place is often understaffed, causing more stress and customer assistants will often end up training the new employees as there will be no Training Buddies on shift to do this.
Pros
Fun collegues, free tickets
Cons
Everything else
If you care: stay away
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, Lancashire8 August 2018
I worked at Lancaster Vue for two years and while I generally liked the job despite some demeaning work and entitled customers I felt good working in an industry I actually cared about, despite being a very small cog.

I worked hard, took shifts during busy periods, showed I wanted to progress at Vue for my time there but one personal situation gave them the excuse to fire me and they were more than happy to take it.

They don't care about staff, so if you want to work there just treat it like an obligation and get their money; and certainly don't actually care. It will not be appreciated. I'm sure that's all they want. Passionate staff will only lose.
Pros
Free movies
Cons
A reduction in self worth
Stay far, far away
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands3 August 2018
An absolute train wreck of an organisation that I've ever had the displeasure to work for. Unprofessional to the highest degree, and workers are treated like dogs by the management. Pay is minimum, but the amount of tasks managers burden you with, with the pathetic pay in mind is completely laughable. They expect way too much for the little they give you.

Rotas are dismal, more often than not, the place will be overstaffed on quiet days, and understaffed on busy days, of which there are many, which proceeds to increase pressure on those on shift.

Expect to be cleaning pretty much all the time, unless you're put on tills, then you'll have to deal with customers who are also the worst, given the area the cinema is in, and will often have you feeling frustrated and miserable. Don't expect any support from managers when faced with an abusive customer, as they will typically hide away in their office and leave you to fend for yourself. Most of the time, they'll just apologise and offer refunds to said customers who disrespected you. You will hate yourself every shift, and ask yourself why you would do this to yourself.

They also require you to be available for closes, which normally finish at 3am, but can go up to 5am, often making you do arbitrary and idiotic tasks.

No incentives to encourage you to work harder. Three movie tickets per week is all you're getting. 40% off snacks would be good, but they're so overpriced that it isn't that much better. And don't EVER expect them to give out free snacks. This company is ridiculously stingy, to the point that they make
  more... you clock out for a 30 minute break.

With over 120 employees, you are expendable, and they'll just keep on hiring newer, unsuspecting people who aren't aware how horrible the place really is, which, in turn, will severely reduce your own hours unless you're tight with management.

There is some much more to say, but these are just the main points. Seriously consider if you REALLY, REALLY need this job. The physical and mental hardships you will endure will truly put you to the test, and most likely, will not be worth it.
Pros
Free Movies
Cons
Ridiculous hours/finishes, Awful management, No regard for employees
not as good as reel
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth31 July 2018
I worked at both reel and vue cinemas and reel cinema had better management but vue was better to work for. the pros were free films and the cons were management
Pros
free films
Cons
management
Very good
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire16 July 2018
This job is very good!!! The managers are very good and so helpful and the whole team is very good, I really enjoy working there and would recommend it
Pros
Free films, mangers
Cons
Minimum pay
Awful - never work here
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Staines-upon-Thames15 July 2018
management treat staff like dirt

£5.60 / hour is not worth the work you do.

a frozen reheated hotdog at this absolute hole is worth more than an hour of my hard work.

general manager fired entire team to make way for her friends from her previous job.
Pros
Leaving
Excellent
Cinema Manager (Current Employee) –  Darlington20 June 2018
Excellent company to work for with great benefits and great opportunities to progress. Also have the opportunity to travel and work for the same company in virtually any city or town in the uk
Benefits
Cons
Working hours
Ok
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Westwood31 May 2018
Job is okay, however not enough hours, can also feel as if all staff struggle to work as a team. That being said sometimes works around your availability though can often cause issues when not needed
Enjoyable Workplace
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow26 May 2018
A typical day at work would include; working the tills, stocking the shelf's. If I am not working on tills that day I will be allocated to floor. This is where you will be expected to check tickets, do screen checks to avoid film theft and to maintain a clean environment in the screens - foyer and toilets.

From these roles in my current job I have learned how to work apart of team successfully to achieve work place goals set for the day. I have also learned how to use my time effectively to make sure work is completed to the best standard.

I would say the hardest part of my job would be that it's not particularly regular, some weeks I will have more hours and then other the times it drops. I would like a more stable work environment.

The most enjoyable part of my job is working apart of the team. I really enjoy working alongside my colleagues. Also really enjoy working in a fast pace environment.
Pros
I get 40% on foods and free entry into films
Cons
short hours
fun people, i made some good friends.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Finchley17 May 2018
I learnt how to use a till, everything else i knew or was self explainable for example the coffee machine. most enjoyable part was eating damaged goods as we couldn't sell them.
Pros
free cinema tickets.
A shambles
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swansea8 May 2018
Management is a complete joke, NONE of them are trained properly and enjoy talking about staff behind their backs at any given chance! UNLESS you enjoy sucking up to them! Very unprofessional none of them know what they are doing, If I could give no stars, I would! They expect far too much from us for little pay and to be treated like rubbish. Hours are awful. Nothing good to say about the place apart from the other CA's are great. Don't work here unless you are looking for one/two shifts a week unless it's school holidays / big film releases then you are expected to be able to work every hour under the sun. Grilled on reaching certain targets for sales, basically forcing and conning people into paying more! (GM's suggestion to increase sales for the business which is terrible!) if you've not had a good sales result at the end of your shift they will make sure you know about it by sending out emails to everybody naming and shaming, targeting those people & make them feel small.
Pros
Free tickets, discount on concessions.
Cons
Terrible management, rubbish hours, no proper training given
The place is good for a first job
CUSTOMER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh City, City of Edinburgh28 April 2018
Expected to clean screens and other various cleaning tasks. Make sure the guest are welcome and let know that they are going to the correct screens. I learned time management like when screens are coming out and the screen that are going back in. The management team comes when you need them straight away so that you can do things that are assigned to you. Most enjoyable part of the job is the opens as they are usually quiet but can be busy with young children coming in. The hardest part of the job would be the closes.
Pros
The percentage of food and fizzy drink
Cons
closes
Good for 16-year olds
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newbury25 April 2018
And that's about it. A customer assistant is on minimum wage and for a reason. Your tasks are of low importance and the workload is not worth the grief you get from both the customers complaining about the ridiculous prices, to management demanding an answer for why you aren't selling enough of the ridiculously-priced food to the complaining customers.

Free films and percentage off food and drink is decent for a young person and somewhat makes up for the terrible wage, but it is not a job for anyone looking to progress onto more challenging and rewarding things.
Pros
Free films
Cons
Everything else
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth25 March 2018
Good place to work for, kept me active so amazing for my diet hahahaha absolutely loved it here very nice colleagues and managers, and free films sho who can complain
Pros
free films
assistant
CINEMA OPERATIVE (Former Employee) –  Redditch19 March 2018
long hours available , slave labor, bad pay and 4 hour contracts when you decide to leave and give them notice they put you down to minimal hours. management are a bunch of teens
Great people to work with. A very personable environment.
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gateshead14 March 2018
Certainly one of the more fun jobs I've worked in. You'll make a lot of friends here. However its the nature of the business for irregular working patterns to be standard.
Pros
very nice work invironment
Cons
Irregular hours
amazing and fun and super benefits
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Darlington, Durham22 February 2018
Best company I've worked for.
Other than a slightly poor salary
Fun place
THE BENEFITS!!!
40% off all food and drink, all the time.
Free tickets unlimited for yourself.
up to 3 tickets for friends per week.
work around any life things you have.
Pros
The benefits of the job
Cons
slightly poor salary
Ok. Standard cinema job
Projectionist (Former Employee) –  Leeds12 February 2018
Be prepared for long hours. Usually until 3am fri and sat with the occasional weds. Pretty basic role. Repetitive. Doesnt really push you intellectually.
Pros
Free films
great place to work
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Watford26 January 2018
it great place to work. it leave you with great experience although the hours can be improved. overall i recommend you to go there as nice experience.