Vision Express Employee Reviews

worst store
Optometrist (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset11 November 2018
Probably the worst store that I have ever worked in as an Optometrist in my career.The management was a disgrace and absolute lack of communication and respect for the staff.Put me off and my fellow Optometrists from ever working for this company again.
Pros
Cons
rude management, no support for staff
21 November 2018

Hello, thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your time working for Vision Express. We are continuously looking to use this to improve the experience for our employees and customers alike. We are sorry to hear your time at Vision Express wasn't as we would have hoped. If you wish to discuss any further concerns with us please contact human.resources@visionexpress.com

Local progression possible good training
Optical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, Derbyshire5 November 2018
Great place to work, training in any areas possible management or dispensing opticians six weeks holiday a year first three days sick not covered support centre needs more organisation
Pros
Local
Cons
Mixed rotas
6 November 2018

Hi, thank you for providing your feedback. It is great to hear that you have seen our great career progression available to employees. As a current employee you would have seen that this year we have invested in our benefits package including our holiday and sickness pay. We appreciate your comments and aim to use all the feedback to make improvements to the operations within stores and our support center. If you wish to discuss any further concerns with us please contact human.resources@visionexpress.com

Probably the worst company I have ever worked for
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth3 November 2018
Managers have no clue, get treated like an object and absolutely no leeway. Never get to take holiday as ALWAYS short staffed then told you can’t roll it over
6 November 2018

Hi there, we appreciate your comments and aim to use all the feedback to make improvements to the operations within stores. We have recently invested in our pay and benefits structure across our store estate including our holiday allowance. Sorry to read that your time with Vision Express wasn't as we would of hoped for, but if you did want to discuss anything further please contact us on; human.resources@visionexpress.com

Fun and professional environment
Optical Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire28 October 2018
Vision Express was my first paid job since leaving full-time education and it was the best choice I could have made. The pay is good, for an apprenticeship, and the people I work with are better than I could've imagined at helping me learn the basics, giving me the confidence to believe in my ability and allowing me to thrive. I have noticed a huge difference in myself and not just in the business side. I have become more confident talking to new people and building a reppor with the clientel.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Travelling to and from work
6 November 2018

Hello, thank you for the 5 star review! We are really glad you have found our apprenticeship program to be rewarding and allow you to find a career within the Optical Industry with Vision Express. We are delighted to hear you have all the support you need in your role and that the recognition we give to our teams is valued.

CONTACT CENTRE TEAM LEADER (Current Employee) –  Nottingham26 September 2018
Great place to work and had a good few years there. However, there is no further progression and wanting a new challenge & to relocate to Liverpool...
6 November 2018

Thank you for leaving a 5 star review, we are delighted to hear you have all the support you need in your role and that the recognition we give to our teams is valued.

Customer focused
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire12 September 2018
Always looking to provide the best service and quality for the customer. A lot of good people working behind the scenes, but sometimes lacking in resource.
Pros
Lots of good people at VE
Cons
Sometimes expect too much with too little
6 November 2018

Hi, we are glad to hear that you met some great people whilst working at Vision Express. We appreciate your comments and aim to use all the feedback to make improvements to the operations within stores and our support center. If you wish to discuss any further concerns with us please contact human.resources@visionexpress.com

Good place
Optical Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge24 August 2018
Vision Express was a good place to work & the learning potential if you were there was good. Training could be obtained & progression good if you wanted to move up.
6 November 2018

Thank you for leaving your review, we are delighted to hear you have all the support you need in your role and that the recognition we give to our teams is valued. We value our training and progression program so it is great to hear that you have experienced this.

Do not apply !
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Cricklewood19 August 2018
This place is a nightmare ! ! No support from any managers and specially regional managers are a joke and full of fake promises and useless at their own job. They expect you to work like crazy when understaffed and do not appreciate the work you put in. If you would like to stress yourself out like crazy and have no social life or any life at all please do apply for a position. They also pay you like peanuts, apply elsewhere specially if you have more experience.
Pros
Free glasses upto £550. My team.
Cons
Regional manager, store manager, whole of Vision express management.
6 November 2018

Hi, thanks for leaving a review, we're always keen to hear about how you felt whilst working for us. Here at Vision Express we take vision seriously and providing the customer with the best service and eye wear solution is important. Sorry to read that your time with Vision Express wasn't as we would of hoped for, but if you did want to discuss anything further please contact us on; human.resources@visionexpress.com

Great Place to Work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Chiswick31 July 2018
Great directors who are always supporting staff through their careers in optics. Good company to work for and there is job security.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting regular customers.
6 November 2018

Thank you for leaving a 5 star review, we are delighted to hear you had all the support you needed in your role and that you were able to utilise our training and progression program.

Just Bad
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Midlands26 July 2018
I found working at Vision Express extremely difficult; I had never worked in Optics before and was really looking forward to the challenge, as well as leaving the horrendous job I had beforehand. When I first started at VE I thought I would enjoy it as there was a lot to learn, but as time passed, I was basically left to my own devices and simply take customers in for their screening before appointments and try to explain to them (before they became hysterical) that the air pressure test really wasn't going to hurt. I was shown a few times how to use the screening equipment and that was it, job done. As well as struggling with this aspect of the job, I was left to man the reception desk without having a clue what I was talking about when customers asked questions or wanted to book appointments on the very complicated software used by the company, it really was bad. When asking for help from management I was usually responded with a tut and a few rolls of the eyes. I hated working here. It was very clique, as it was a small team, and in the end I just walked out and have never looked back. The day I did this and walked back home, I instantly felt lighter.
On a positive side, the hours were good, standard 9-5, although this involved weekend work. If you were serious about optics as a future, I think they would have invested in you as an individual, although, saying that, I used to find the store manager's 08:30 AM pep talk about how 'we can drive sales today' not encouraging in the slightest, actually the opposite.
Pros
Good hours, full-time work, good break management system.
Cons
My store manager, clique team, not enough training, haphazard software system.
6 November 2018

Hi, thanks for leaving a review, we're always keen to hear about how you felt whilst working for us. Here at Vision Express we take vision seriously and providing the customer with the best service and eye wear solution is important. We have an induction program to allow candidates without any previous Optics experience the ability to learn the new skills needed. Sorry to read that your time with Vision Express wasn't as we would of hoped for, but if you did want to discuss anything further please contact us on; human.resources@visionexpress.com

a normal place to work
Optical Assistant (Current Employee) –  England25 July 2018
no overtime, the payment could be better from the type of job that is performed but overall is not a bad place to start. As long as you have a good team,
21 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. Following on from previous feedback, this year we have invested in our pay and benefits for all of our employees in store. We are glad that you feel that you have a good team around you, however if you would like to discuss anything further please contact human.resources@visionexpress.com

Rewarding, busy and family.
role - Optical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hampshire19 July 2018
A typical day at Vision Express is never typical. You will always arrive slightly early just to get ahead of your paper work for the rest of the day, I always arrive at lest 15 before my day. you don't have to but I always found it makes the day easier if you do. I learn a lot being at vision Express, there's never a day that goes by when I'm not learning about something or updating my knowledge on something else. The management at Vision Express is very good in some places for example the manager at Whitley is very exceptional. the work culture is great, we have sister stores that we converse with if we need advice or have questions, theres are the store that youer usually close too and we do all mix between if other store need cover. the hardest part of my job is most likely the contact lenses, its always been a slight struggle but only because its always updating and changing way too fast. the most enjoyable part of my day is meeting new people, seeing the regulars and just making people happy really. I enjoy what I do and absolutely love helping people.
Pros
free specs, vouchers off specs and the chance to travel.
Cons
it can be stressful
21 November 2018

Thank you for taking the team to leave us a review. We are delighted to hear you had all the support you needed in your role from the management and team in Whitley. It is great to see you were able to utilise our training program and buddy system with other local stores to you. Keep up the great work.

good
assistant optician (Former Employee) –  Windsor7 July 2018
very good workplace good training amazing environment learnt new skills and engaged with new people workable place and good pay long shift and very tough day
21 November 2018

It is great to hear that you enjoyed working with us at our Windsor store and were able to get the most out of our training program at Vision Express. We are glad that the team in store made it a great place to work.

Used to be good
Optical Assistant (Current Employee) –  North Yorkshire25 June 2018
Optics is a interesting field to work in (14 years experience across 3 companies). Think how good this job is depends on management. Part timers are looked upon as a nuisance if they can't work exactly what management what, then life is made difficult for them. Never get praise or recognition, although some staff members are called upon repeatedly to do the jobs nobody else likes just because they don't complain. Quite a lot of favouritism from managers. Definitely don't feel valued anymore.
Pros
Free pair of glasses once a year
Cons
Management makes or breaks the job
21 November 2018

Hi, thanks for leaving a review, we're always keen to hear about how you feel whilst working for us. Working in a retail environment we work on a shift basis that allows us to recruit for both full and part time opportunities and in line with our behavior off seamless team work, we promote our one team ethos. We are sorry to read that your time with Vision Express isn't as you would of hoped for. We are continuously looking to improve our ways of working and invest heavily in our Store Management training, if you did want to discuss anything further please contact us on; human.resources@visionexpress.com

Beware over complicated computer system
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol8 June 2018
Ive been in optics 10 yrs and loved it but we were taken over by vision express and ended up leaving through stress. We had a weeks training and then all thrown into new system /store. Struggling with new system i felt unprofessional in front of my customers. there was no offer of help to stay there. My manager was great but had his hands full with an entire staff struggling. I have lost some confidence through my experience. But will return to the profession i love in time.
Pros
Free expensive glasses
Cons
Complicated computer and ordering system
21 November 2018

Hi, thanks for leaving a review, we're always keen to hear about how you felt whilst working for us. During our most recent acquisition we were really keen to integrate the teams as part of the Vision Express family as quickly as possible. As part of this we partnered all of our new stores with a buddy store who were there to help with any queries. Here at Vision Express we take vision seriously and providing the customer with the best service and eye wear solution is important. As part of this we have invested in our computer systems to ensure we can provide the best service available We are sorry to hear that your time with Vision Express wasn't as we would of hoped for, but if you did want to discuss anything further please contact us on; human.resources@visionexpress.com

Sand field day nursery
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Nottingham6 June 2018
Was really entertaining to work with children I enjoyed it a lot
Was a expirenfe I would do again and I would love another job in a nursery but I’m not really bothered on where I work
Pros
Taken my own food
Cons
The enjoyment of the workday really depeneded on the customers we got that day.
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Merry Hill5 June 2018
It was a good work experience to have in customer services, and how long and stressful an average day is in the field. Overall it was good, some days weren't as good due to some customers attitudes however, if dealt with in a professional manner I could defuse the situation and have a senior member of staff sort the problem.
21 November 2018

Hi, thanks for leaving a review. It is great to see that you were able to undertake some work experience with Vision Express in our Merry Hill store. Here at Vision Express we take vision seriously and providing the customer with the best service and eye wear solution is important. If you were looking at progressing a career with Vision Express, we have an induction program to allow candidates without any previous Optics experience the ability to learn the new skills needed. We hope that you will consider future vacancies with Vision Express.

Vision Express is a good employer
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Chatham, Kent1 June 2018
Leading my team to achieve all targets set whilst keeping them happy and engaged. The challenges of being a manager was always putting a positive spin on things even when trade was slow. However seeing my teams development was extremely rewarding.
Pros
Good support
Cons
Pressure
21 November 2018

Thanks for leaving us a 5 star review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your time working at Vision Express. We are really proud to be able to have such a high rate of internal promotion due to our great rising stars training program. We are also glad to see that you had a great support network around you whilst working for us.

bad
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Nottingham28 May 2018
Two shifts, 6 to 2 pm and from 2 to 10pm, national minimum wage, working throu the agency is a nightmare ( taylor martin agency tmr, they force you to buy their tsherts, and pay for many things. Managment is very intollerant and rude.
21 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to hear your time working in our Retail Tech Center wasn't as we would have hoped for. We always look to provide our agency support workers with the same treatment and experience as our permanent hires. This year we have invested heavily in our rates of pay above the national minimum wage, allowing us to offer a competitive rate in the industry. If you did want to discuss anything further please contact us on; human.resources@visionexpress.com

Best place ive worked
Morning Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Corby, Northamptonshire1 May 2018
Doing my daily cleaning routine, welcoming customers. The vision express team was always friendly and comforting. Best part of my job was going to work and being around a great bunch of people.
21 November 2018

Thank you for leaving us a 5 star review. We are really glad you enjoyed coming to work for us and found our team in store to be friendly and welcoming.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vision Express. Our community is ready to answer.