Vision Express Employee Reviews

Optics is an interesting field but at this particular branch it wasn't meant to be
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woolwich, Greater London4 April 2018
I was really excited when I got the job and couldn't wait to start and leave my old job behind but turns out this wasn't the job for me at all or anyone else.

Management is very poor, manager is hardly ever present and is lazy like the other staff as they would always ask me to do things instead of doing it themself and they were clearly capable of doing so and it was their job.

The manager is also unprofessional, incompetent and doesn't like listening. I found it very hard to talk to him as he didn't care about me at all, he seemed to single me out too. He would always pick on my uniform (which is stupid as it took him 6 weeks to notice) and actually held it against me that I didn't do over time twice.

The job role itself does seem really good to do and what you learn along the way is very interesting. Just sadly it was a quite store and I always found myself bored with not a lot to do as i am used to being more proactive.

As a whole vision express sadly did not treat me very well and i felt like they all ganged up on me and pushed me out the company like I was nothing.

In conclusion, I honestly do not recommend anyone to work in this particular branch or even customers to come here to get their eyes done

Pros
Wage was really good and the optical industry is very interesting to learn
Cons
Poor management and lack of things to do in this particular branch
Best job I ever had
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  UK12 March 2018
Wonderful place to work where I made some lifelong friends. A real team that looked out for each other. Like a family. I'd love to go back there again.
Terrible experience working here
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clevedon, Somerset24 February 2018
Paid next to nothing for doing job of a manager with no thanks while manager had all weekends off and gives zero support.
If you are no higher than an optical assistant you are disposable to this company. Lots of lone working, staying late and weekend working. When flagged problems with management to HR it gets dismissed and swept under carpet. I would never work for this company again.
Pros
Free pair of glasses every year
Cons
Underpaid and no support
A fun place to work.
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Guildford22 February 2018
It was good working at Vision Express as I learned a lot throughout my time there. I dispensed glasses and contact lenses and was taught how to teach people how to put contact in.
Pros
Good People
Cons
Wage
Could do a lot better
Optical Assistant (Current Employee) –  West Midlands30 January 2018
Could be a good place to work, but most staff have a very poor work ethic. This is not addressed by managers as they would rather be friends than manage rubbish staff.
Days are long and boring, best part of the job, is helping some of the customers, but some can be vile.
If busy you are expected to work without breaks even if you are doing 08:30-18:00.
Pros
free glasses
Cons
poor staff management
Productive and enjoyable place to work
Optical Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Glasgow29 January 2018
Vision Express was a lovely clean and healthy environment to work in. I enjoyed working as part of the lab team and also in the retail outlet dealing with customers.
Dynamic workplace with important clinical ramifications
Optical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Southampton30 December 2017
Retail based job but with serious clinical ramifications for customers so a balance between the retail sales aspect of the job and the clinical duty towards customers is essential.
exciting
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hounslow, Greater London6 December 2017
My last job was fun and exciting due to the work i had to complete, for example ordering glasses and eye lenses and i also got to communicate with customers to advise them and give them more information about the company. i got to book appointment and answer phone calls.
Very productive and fun place to work
Optical Advisor (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street28 November 2017
A typical day start with a group meeting.
Store walk thought, helping the customer with their decision making. Having a great product knowledge.
The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the a big smile on the customer when they collect their new pair of glasses and all is well.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
40 hours week
Only work here if you study optometry, no benefits otherwise
Optical Assistant (Current Employee) –  London25 November 2017
This is a good company to work for if your are studying optometry as you learn on the job and get ready for your career. However, it is not very favourable if you are do not study the subject. You are looked down upon by the management and are considered simple tools when in fact you know more than many of the senior members of staff.

Furthermore, the work environment is very unprofessional and there is a lot of pushing and pulling over the most simplest of tasks.
Pros
Social life can be okay at times
Cons
Poor management, unprofessional, Low pay
Great place to work management lets it down though
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire22 November 2017
very rewarding job as far as helping people make not only a lifestyle choice but also allowing them to have a clarity of life though their own vision again. the only down point from when i was there was the pay structure and the management style of the higher-ups above store level.
Pros
Rewarding
Pushy and underapriciated
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kent20 November 2017
I was told to sell as much as i could and would get penalised if i didn't up-sell to every customer, but was told the next day that the service we give is more important that taking money. And then the next day was penalised for not selling enough?! I didnt get great support during difficult times and feel totally decieved and lied to by regional managers. They stopped paying bonuses and overtime, but still expected me to go well above and beyond what should be expected, for no incentive or exra benefits.
Pros
Good training
Cons
Pushy, rude, insensitive and contradictory.
Fun and enriching
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Hounslow, Greater London4 November 2017
Though my stay was very small, I enjoyed working at vision express, I felt I was enhancing my independence and the staff was really friendly. Personally I would like to work there again.
Pros
1 hour lunch break
Tech
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  South Shields, Tyne and Wear3 November 2017
I worked in the lab full time by myself, I did everything from ordering lens, glazing glasses and hand edging lens, I maintained all the machines and phoned all suppliers. I also worked on the shop floor at the same time when the store became busy.

· Glazing / Hand edging lens
· Order and chase delayed lens
· Maintenance of machines
· Chashing up
· Open/close store
Pros
Good company
productive workplace
Optical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nottingham26 October 2017
The average day includes mostly frontline customer service- answering the telephone, dealing with face to face queries. Taking handovers from optometrists and advising customers accordingly on frames and appropriate lenses. Assessing customers needs and building rapport.
Checking in stock and contact lens deliveries and ensuring all product is merchandised correctly. Cleaning and making sure the store is presentable.
Pros
nice staff
Cons
low pay
Data entry clerk
Data Entry Clerk (returns) (Former Employee) –  Nottingham22 October 2017
Decent work atmosphere and very relaxed environment, low targets which allow you to work at a flat rate in order to complete the job to a high standard.
Great job if your face fits
Optical Advisor (Former Employee) –  UK19 October 2017
Is a great working environment provided you meet the criteria of the manager. (That's socially and not about your ability to do the job)
Great Benefits and the chance to further your career if meeting the right criteria depending on who your manager is.
I enjoyed meeting new people everyday from all walks of life and enjoyed giving good customer service and resolving any issues when they arose. The opticians are generally amazing and while being professional they were good fun to work with.
Pros
Free Glasses for yourself and vouchers for money off for friends and family every year
Cons
Felt like no real support
Administrator (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London13 October 2017
It was a good experience working at Vision Express. It was my first time working in a Optician and also as Administrator. Learned a lot about everything such as having a good organisational skills and use initiative and multitask. To handle queries from employees and managers via telephone/email. Ensuring that the customers needs are met is always the top priority.
Pros
Friendly management
Not bad
Technician laboratory worker (Current Employee) –  Technician laboratory11 October 2017
Work is easy, but they should pay more for contract worker. Contract worker are on same level like new people from agency with wage and they have to do much more.
Pros
Some company events like open doors for company workers family
Cons
Unpaid breaks
Good employers.
Dispensing Optician/ assistant manager (Current Employee) –  Scunthorpe10 October 2017
They are a good, honest company to work for that you can easily work your way up with if you have to right attitude and enthusiasm.

I would recommend them.