Virgin Trains

United Kingdom52 reviews
PART TIME ROLE

good management

4 till 10 shift

Friendly staff and nice working environment

worst part of the job is late hours

most enjoyable the colleagues
one of the best company's i ever worked for. There was always something different every day it would never be the same i think thats what made it so interesting.
Such a friendly working environment, lovely people and was a nice place to be. Exciting offers everyday and felt a pleasure to be working for Virgin Trains
I thoroughly enjoyed working for the company and helping the customers with impartial information. Virgin was made special through Sir Richard Branson marketing and appearance at the station when he visited the staff. It was such a buzz and happy memories from his visits.
Pros
Meeting Sir Richard Branson
Cons
competitive attitudes
I only worked on a temporary capacity and I left shortly after. My role was refunding passengers whose trains were delayed. The people I worked with were very sociable and they helped with tasks that I found difficult.
Rail is a great business to work in, you meets lots of great people and get involved in some fascinating things

Franchising is the toughest part of the role, as sometimes it restricts investment.
Focused on staff development and customer service.
Lots of training courses and development opportunities. Very good pay so much so that many people are there for over 15 yrs
This company is very innovative and invest in technology
All the staff are a pleasure to work with and we all get along very well as well as the management. The hardest part of the job is the parents who don't want to book an appointment to change there mind which is very satisfying.
A good company to work for over the years. Environment is fast paced and always changing. Will be further changes in the pipeline with the upcoming franchise change.
I think having worked for many companies Virgin Trains are probalby the best I have worked for in terms of trying to make it a fun and rewarding environment for staff. I cannot lie and say there werent some problems with some of the management however I have certainly found this in most companies. As a whole they were a great employer to work for.
Cons
Long unsociable hours
Excellent place to work, company take care of their employees. Free tea/coffee at the office, flexible working hours and everyday is a new day at work. Always challenged and constantly improving skills and knowledge and dealing with new situations and scenarios.
Pros
free tea/coffee, good benefits
Cons
can end up working longer hours than contracted
Enjoy work for this company for 16 years, with working long shifts which doesn’t fit round my family life. I’ve Learn’t to engage with many different types of people.
Pros
Free train travel
Cons
Uniform
shifts can be 0300 start to 0200 finish, shift work. no day is ever the same!
management can be weak, and union is very strong!

hardest part of the job can be difficult customers.

most enjoyable part of the job is the travel and teams you work with
Pros
free travel
Cons
I haven't worked at Virgin Trains for some years, so I'm unsure if the culture has changed. I worked there in the Customer Relations department, and while the pay wasn't amazing (I think that's improved since), the team was a pleasure to work with. The managers on the whole were very laissez faire and weren't constantly breathing down your neck. Customer Relations can be a negative environment to work in as you're often listening to complaints, so you need a good team spirit to counter that and Virgin had that in spades.
Pros
Free travel with Virgin Trains, discounted travel with other companies
Cons
Wages could have been better
working for Virgin comes with an expectation of the highest levels of customer service which i felt was my strongest quality and still is but again can also bring lots of challenges.
Pros
excellent salary and perks
Cons
high expectations
A typical day does not exist as there are never two days alike. I like to think that I learned something new everyday, management are great as they let you do your job and only see you when they need to. Sometimes the hardest part is dealing with suicidal people some you can talk down and some you can't. Personally the best part is seeing the train you worked on leaving the station with happy passengers on board
Pros
Free travel on trains and reduced fares with other companies
Cons
I can not think of any
Ok place to work. Had to keep asking for work and they would sometimes forgot you had asked so would have to ask again. Very much a divide between temporary staff and permanent staff even though the work was the same. Permanent staff were given a Virgin Trains jacket and temporary staff were given a number to ask for work not a name. 12 hours contracts but not if you were permanent staff.
Cons
12 hour shifts, numbers not names
I've worked for Virgin trains for 3 and a half years now.
I'm working my way up the 'ranks' and i know anything is possible ...you have to work hard and show commitment.

Also people accept you for who you are and you become a member of a special virgin family where we all look after eachother. We work 9 hour ish days so we all try and make the days exciting and have great banter. We also have some amazing customers who come through daily who are part of the family! Love the job, staff and management.
Pros
Fun job, allowed to be yourself, salary is good, all management were once CSA's like us so they know the pressure of our jobs.
Cons
Shift working (if thats even a con as you get week days off which is awesome).
I found that the job as a Customer Service Assistant was very engaging. I liked the work. It was very manageable and there is plenty of inspection to make sure standards are met.

I thought that I received excellent training both before starting and on the job. I believe that this role gave me a good opportunity to really enhance my customer service abilities.

A very good organisation with good policies
Pros
Good pay, excellent training managable work
Cons
Confidence is highly rated certain characters may have to compramise who they are to succeed
the overall work experience was good, fun and interesting, however the work was almost too simple and robotic. that is all i have to say about virgin trains/