Virgin Trains Employee Reviews

Nice workplace and the staff were very sociable.
Customer Resolutions Advisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham5 October 2019
I only worked on a temporary capacity and I left shortly after. My role was refunding passengers whose trains were delayed. The people I worked with were very sociable and they helped with tasks that I found difficult.
Great company to work for
Manager (Current Employee) –  London20 August 2019
Focused on staff development and customer service.
Lots of training courses and development opportunities. Very good pay so much so that many people are there for over 15 yrs
very innovative
Junior Project Manager (Contract) (Former Employee) –  London14 July 2019
This company is very innovative and invest in technology
Frantic but enjoyable
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands2 July 2019
All the staff are a pleasure to work with and we all get along very well as well as the management. The hardest part of the job is the parents who don't want to book an appointment to change there mind which is very satisfying.
A good company to work for.
Safety Assessment Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands29 June 2019
A good company to work for over the years. Environment is fast paced and always changing. Will be further changes in the pipeline with the upcoming franchise change.
Great company to work for
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire22 June 2019
I think having worked for many companies Virgin Trains are probalby the best I have worked for in terms of trying to make it a fun and rewarding environment for staff. I cannot lie and say there werent some problems with some of the management however I have certainly found this in most companies. As a whole they were a great employer to work for.
Cons
Long unsociable hours
good place to work
Performance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands17 December 2018
Excellent place to work, company take care of their employees. Free tea/coffee at the office, flexible working hours and everyday is a new day at work. Always challenged and constantly improving skills and knowledge and dealing with new situations and scenarios.
Pros
free tea/coffee, good benefits
Cons
can end up working longer hours than contracted
Customer Service Onboard (Former Employee) –  England21 November 2018
Enjoy work for this company for 16 years, with working long shifts which doesn’t fit round my family life. I’ve Learn’t to engage with many different types of people.
Pros
Free train travel
Cons
Uniform
Great Place to work
Train Guard (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester11 November 2018
shifts can be 0300 start to 0200 finish, shift work. no day is ever the same!
management can be weak, and union is very strong!
hardest part of the job can be difficult customers.
most enjoyable part of the job is the travel and teams you work with
Pros
free travel
Great fun place to work
Customer Relations Consultant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands9 July 2018
I haven't worked at Virgin Trains for some years, so I'm unsure if the culture has changed. I worked there in the Customer Relations department, and while the pay wasn't amazing (I think that's improved since), the team was a pleasure to work with. The managers on the whole were very laissez faire and weren't constantly breathing down your neck. Customer Relations can be a negative environment to work in as you're often listening to complaints, so you need a good team spirit to counter that and Virgin had that in spades.
Pros
Free travel with Virgin Trains, discounted travel with other companies
Cons
Wages could have been better
never 2 days the same
Station Manager, Stockport and Macclesfield (Former Employee) –  Macclesfield2 July 2018
working for Virgin comes with an expectation of the highest levels of customer service which i felt was my strongest quality and still is but again can also bring lots of challenges.
Pros
excellent salary and perks
Cons
high expectations
Summary
Shunter/Rail Operator (Current Employee) –  Cumbria15 May 2018
A typical day does not exist as there are never two days alike. I like to think that I learned something new everyday, management are great as they let you do your job and only see you when they need to. Sometimes the hardest part is dealing with suicidal people some you can talk down and some you can't. Personally the best part is seeing the train you worked on leaving the station with happy passengers on board
Pros
Free travel on trains and reduced fares with other companies
Cons
I can not think of any
Ok
Customer Solutions (Former Employee) –  Gosforth1 May 2018
Ok place to work. Had to keep asking for work and they would sometimes forgot you had asked so would have to ask again. Very much a divide between temporary staff and permanent staff even though the work was the same. Permanent staff were given a Virgin Trains jacket and temporary staff were given a number to ask for work not a name. 12 hours contracts but not if you were permanent staff.
Cons
12 hour shifts, numbers not names
Its a way of life
Multifunctional GPR Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Rugby, Warwickshire18 April 2018
I've worked for Virgin trains for 3 and a half years now.
I'm working my way up the 'ranks' and i know anything is possible ...you have to work hard and show commitment.
Also people accept you for who you are and you become a member of a special virgin family where we all look after eachother. We work 9 hour ish days so we all try and make the days exciting and have great banter. We also have some amazing customers who come through daily who are part of the family! Love the job, staff and management.
Pros
Fun job, allowed to be yourself, salary is good, all management were once CSA's like us so they know the pressure of our jobs.
Cons
Shift working (if thats even a con as you get week days off which is awesome).
Generally a good organisation
On board customer service assistant (Former Employee) –  Euston24 October 2017
I found that the job as a Customer Service Assistant was very engaging. I liked the work. It was very manageable and there is plenty of inspection to make sure standards are met.

I thought that I received excellent training both before starting and on the job. I believe that this role gave me a good opportunity to really enhance my customer service abilities.

A very good organisation with good policies
Pros
Good pay, excellent training managable work
Cons
Confidence is highly rated certain characters may have to compramise who they are to succeed
it was okay
Customer Relations (Former Employee) –  Birmingham14 September 2017
the overall work experience was good, fun and interesting, however the work was almost too simple and robotic. that is all i have to say about virgin trains/
Active workplace
Local resource Controller (Current Employee) –  London12 September 2017
Working for the railway is very much a 24/7 job...unless you're lucky enough to work in HQ :-)
But in my case, working in Resourcing involves working shift throughout the week and some weekends. My job involves juggling staff to make sure every train is covered to full capacity to offer our customers the best train journey they'll ever have. It involves juggling with staff sickness, holidays, staff releases for training and of course disruptions, which is in my opinion the hardest part of the job. Imagine trains stranded, hundreds of staff members trying to get through to you at the same time and Control sending you info as the go. Quite stressful but hopefully it doesn't happen that often.
But it is always rewarding to finish the day knowing that all your trains the following morning will be fully covered!
Pros
Free travel on Virgin Trains, preferential rates on all other train operating companies (including Eurostar), free uniform, access to Virgin Tribe discount, comprehensive training
Cons
Unsociable hours when working frontline and in some departments (Resources)
Fun
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester7 September 2017
Boss place to work lovely people, management care. Always get the odd dodgy moaning service manager like Mrs JC Manchester but other than that I would recommend the job to anyone. Best time of my working life there so try it out you'll love it.
Pros
Everything amazing
Not very 'Virgin'
Customer Relations Advisor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands1 August 2017
Overall, a day in the Customer Relations department is a jumbled and poorly thought out, mismanaged mess.

Middle and upper management have little to no involvement in the day-to-day of the department, and spend the vast majority of the day in meetings. The majority of the heavy lifting is left to the people working directly on the line of the operation:

Phones operators/ letter writers - Thos who spend their day dealing with unrealistic targets, being pulled from pillar to post, and no in-the-moment recognition.

Lower management - The Team Leaders who perform face to face interaction and coaching. I'm close with one of these leaders who confirms my suspicions that their workload was similar to mine - Outdated, unrealistic, and entirely unmotivated.

The brand is not represented here. If you're expecting the same service as you would get on a Virgin Atlantic flight, you're mistaken. It's an old fashioned, out of date industry which is not accommodating of the Virgin brand.
Pros
Salary is good
Cons
Long hours, overload, stress, poor management, no progression, poor decision making from upper management
Always busy
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  York29 June 2017
A typical day was a hard working full day of non-stop helping people. i learnt that working with customers isn't always easy or fun, but knowing that you've helped them on to the next step of their journey is rewarding enough.