Virgin Trains East Coast

Virgin Trains East Coast Employee Reviews

United Kingdom19 reviews
A lot of interactions with people, great team to work with, always support each other.
Day could be as easy and smooth and as challenging as the unforeseen circumstances might take it (Disruption is one of them).
Pros
Travel Benefits, Pension scheme
Cons
can be stressful
Change of higher management ruined atmosphere, morale and work life balance. Very clicky lots of favouritism sold as a way of advancing into the rail industry this was NOT the case.Poor pay even in comparison to other call centres poorest paid jobs in the entire company which is a real shame as there are some really great ,talented , knowledgeable and hardworking staff.This leads to a very high turnover of staff.Waste of a year of my life.
Pros
Great people cheaper travel
Cons
Conditions, pay Management
I worked here as a temp and although I have a huge amount of HR experience this role was not for me. The team are really clicky and rude. Before I started working there I had to ring a few times to find out about my contract and my training the women I spoke to was really rude over the phone and would not let me finish speaking. Upon starting my role I found this to be every worse, HR is supposed to be a team who work together there was no policy around anything at all. If you want to progress you can’t as your face does not fit.
Management do not manage they are never around. The team are not considerate when speaking to others at all. The changes to the take over have been a nightmare no one knows what is happening and there is no leadership at all. HR are not HR they are not very professional at all.

I’m glad I do not work here anymore I think the intimidating feeling would of given me a breakdown.
Pros
Free travel on the cross country
Cons
No leadership skills or people skills in HR
Fun Workplace, great environment with the staff and the customers that work in the station, the staff and the company are both very customer orientated so it is all about delivering great customer service.
Love working here. Staff are great, management are very supportive. Met a brilliant bunch of people working here. Overall great company with great working benefits.
Pros
Benefits and staff
Very relaxing for the amount I get paid but at the same time it can be stressful... there are more good days than bad. People are nice to work with always friendly and greet you.
Pros
Free food, good environment... also benefits are marvellous
Cons
Long hours at time.... rude customers...
I had a good week doing work experience a couple of years ago. I got to see the day to day running of a busy london termini station. I was quite good at customer service such as giving directions and information aswell.
Always a busy day as on board train manager in effect now carries out the two roles of Train Guard (Safety and Revenue) and Crew Leader (Catering). A struggle at times.
Pros
Free Rail Travel
Cons
Current Re-Organisation Uncertainty
Its always a busy day at work, but could be draining sometimes, however its also interesting and educationally rewarding.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Moving departments from one end of the country to another was never going to be easy. However effective management, ensuring nepotism does not set in and ensuring the outstanding staff base they have is not wasted is crucial. As of my leaving date this was rife in a negative way, resulting in a job that was full of potential looking like a train crash.
Pros
Free Rail Travel
Cons
shift pattern, management not responsive to staff feedback
Virgin Trains East Coast is a great place to work and each day varied and faced with many different challenges.

You are constantly tasked to think differently and innovatively to drive revenue and improve customer experience.
Pros
Each Day is different
Cons
Very Long Hours
A good place to start a customer relations career, driven by targets and a good pay structure, could get boring at times but worked in a good team that helped keep spirits up
Pros
Good team
Cons
Sometimes boring
I really enjoyed working for the company, management were very friendly, the building was beautiful and the work atmosphere in general was really enjoyable.
I worked as a temp and unfortunately the contract ended otherwise i would of loved to stay there for quite some time.

the work ethics of treat your employees well and they will treat you well back was definitely visible there.

I would recommend it to anyone.
Pros
lovely work atmosphere, nice management, friendly staff, beautiful building, non restrictive overtime available
Cons
temp contracts
Favouritism towards certain members of staff, training not given to staff who are keen and qualified, poorly run department (team leaders don't communicate between each other) needs modernised
Pros
Free rail travel
Cons
Shift pattern, poorly organised, unfair work allocation and rewards
this is not the best company to work for at all they are not ready to go LIVE at all in newcastle we are so rushed and so much pressure on us ALL and the wage is a joke for what we have to do.
Pros
free travel
Cons
hours rubbish, pay is rubbish
- Arrive into work and settle down at your desk
- sign in to company official software and be headset ready to take the first call.

- I have learned patience and time with customers go a long way to provide the best customer satisfaction.

- I deal with enquiries and complaints for people traveling on Virgin Trains East Coat.

- between calls I deal with correspondence written in either letter or email format.

- I have 2, 15 minute paid breaks and 1 half an hour unpaid for lunch.

- Shifts are between 0700 - 2200 hours

- I work under a manager who has a team of about 15 people, they provide constructive feedback on your call handling and the quality of your letters and emails that you send out to customers

- The management and the floor managers for this role are very considerate of hospital or doctors appointments and work closely with their employers to accommodate holiday requests.

- We have work parties and are incentivised to help motivate advisors when there is a particularly heavy work load.

- Over-all a cheerful and good place to work with a sense of togetherness.
Pros
Good hourly wage, great management, good people to work with
Cons
No routine, Contract ending and re-locating
Enjoyable, fun and as I have a career in the railway industry I feel very at home.
I enjoy everything that I have done in this company
Pros
Complimentary travel
no such thing as a typical day, simply because we are trained not to be robots and to bring that human feel back to customers, on top of which you cannot predict what happens on the railways.
some days can be fun, some days not so fun,

in my many years on the railway I have learned what it is people truly want, they want to feel like an individual and not just "a customer"

I met many great people on the railway and they will not be forgotten, some of my greatest times where with close friends I met whilst on the rails.

its like a huge family.

best part of the job for me was making peoples day's, I personally feel if I can make someone happy it then makes me happy, kind of self satisfaction threw helping others.
I enjoyed working with the staff and enjoyed the travel which was from edinburgh to newcastle and aberdeen and even london.
Pros
travel and meet new people