Virgin Holidays Employee Reviews

Productive workplace
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London3 December 2017
Bubbly, friendly & helpful people who are sales and target driven. Patient & computer literate with attention to detail. Good communication & people skills.
Pros
Travel concessions
Cons
Fast past and very target driven
Great company to work for
Sales Manager UK (Current Employee) –  Midlands28 November 2017
Excellent staff benefits within the company
Hit targets and gain the rewards
Recognition
Beautiful uniform
Constant support
Potential FAM trips yearly
fun place to work
Travel Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex2 October 2017
fun place to work, but pay never increases and is low pay if you do not meet targets over tier 1. would recommend if starting sales and enjoys travel.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Low Pay
Worst place i have ever worked
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kent23 August 2017
If you have a disability, child, need support, or just need to improve your technique then there's no support.
Seriously high targets and seriously harsh issues if the targets are not met.
If you work if head office the staff are lovely and it's a wonderful environment to be in, however if you work in a store beware, the staff are gossips, no one supports each other.
There's no thankyou for coming in and changing your shifts, you work from home on your day off, leave and come in a hour early and don't get paid overtime.
Your a number not a person.

Best thing I done was leave.
Pros
Its a Job
Fun and enjoyable
Part Time Retail Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Redditch, Worcestershire15 August 2017
I absolutely loved my role here but, was unfortunately made redundant coming off maternity leave due to a store closure and the other store couldn't accommodate any flexible working requests.

My day would consist of greeting customers, building rapport, finding and tailoring exclusive holiday itineraries for them, promoting package discounts and sales offers, marketing, hitting targets and admin duties.
Pros
fantastic team and company
Cons
not flexible
Doggy dog world
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex9 August 2017
A very American way of hiring and firing. Most Managers are very stressed and do not have time for their staff. Not a good environment to work in! Don't believe the hype!
Pros
free parking and tickets
Cons
long hours, stress
Productive and very rewarding
Retail Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester5 July 2017
A typical day a Virgin Holidays is fun and productive. I learned different selling techniques and systems. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you sell a Dream Holiday and see how happy the customers are.
Repetitive
Ground Operations Exec (Former Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex29 June 2017
In the morning we have processes to complete and ensure was done for the day to move forward efficiently.

Throughout the day we have to keep on top of our incoming mail.
brilliant company
Retail Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire19 May 2017
There is no typical day at work everyday brings something different, a new challenge the role consists of working as a team, learning complex computer systems and hitting targets in a daily basis, I have learnt alot from this job role from working as a tight team but also by myself and how to think on my feet without a negative outcome for both the company and customer.
Pros
brilliant staff benefits
Cons
distance from home
Constantly Restructuring
Manager (Current Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex5 May 2017
No real job specs, you're just expected to do whatever lands on your plate. People compete for the limelight. Zero opportunities to progress and the constant threat of redundancy through restructuring in response to trading environments. No budgets to really make a different.
Pros
Standby flights (although almost impossible to use in school holidays)
Cons
No leadership feedback and very little job stability and security
Virgin was a fun company to work for!
Weddings Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Crawley11 February 2017
No two days were the same, and they were a fantastic company to work for. The hardest part of flying was the early starts and long hours. I enjoyed building relationships with different members of staff.
Pros
cheaper holidays & flights
Cons
long hours when flying
Good perks, ridiculously high targets.
Retail sales consultant (Former Employee) –  Midlands10 January 2017
Worked for years for Virgin Holidays and as they've expanded the targets and pressure has too.

A lot of the time you work alone. The targets are set so high it's near impossible to reach and then goal posts are moved.

No support from management and the threat of losing your job every month.

Cheap flights which are on standby and have very limited availability do not make up for the stress.
Virgin Holidays is a fun place to work
Ground Operations Reconciliation Analyst (Current Employee) –  Crawley29 August 2016
Investigating and understanding the reasons behind variances between Virgin Holidays’ accrual and invoices received, analysing contracts and bookings to solve finance queries from suppliers, working to deadlines, re-costing bookings to make sure suppliers can get paid on time, updating spreadsheets to keep track of cost amendments.
Reconciling discrepancies in all aspects of ground product to include accommodation, tours, transfers, car hire and generic components.
I have recently taken on the responsibility for running the department’s daily, weekly and monthly dashboards. I run BOXi reports and update spreadsheets to pro-actively analyse and then recost bookings.
I have helped to train up new members of the team.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Average pay
Enjoyable but no job ecurity
Cruise Consultant (Former Employee) –  Crawley15 July 2016
My job was enjoyable and I had a nice team. The management lied about the amount of testing we would have to do and were over hiring. They were trying to thin the ranks out.

I made the decision to leave due to there being a constant fear of losing your job. The entire team felt this way also.
Pros
fun, great benefits
Cons
managment
Effective, Fun workplace
Travel Agent Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maidenhead6 April 2016
This was a great place for me to do my work experience, as it taught my other things that could be helpful in my day to day life. The things I learnt was very useful and help me a lot to this day.
Pros
Food, Coffee
Dealing with Customers
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Manchester, ENG10 November 2015
On one occasion while working for [VIRGIN] I was informed by Head Office that a passenger family had been found to have made a flight booking with a fraudulent credit card transaction after issue of tickets. The family were attending Manchester Airport that day and I was to inform them their flights to Florida had been cancelled.
I realised that there was potential for a confrontational situation, so informed the Check-In Staff to refer the family to me when they made themselves known. This would take the family away from other passengers to my desk.
The family then approached my desk, the mother clearly angry and confrontational, demanding to know why they could not fly. I quietly and calmly explained there had been an issue with their booking and that the payment had not cleared. I offered to take them to a quiet room where I could explain the detail, but was treated to a volley of abuse and shouting. I asked them not to shout, that I would explain the situation and what they could do. I remained calm, patiently explaining why they could not fly that day and that there was an issue with their credit card. The female them became threatening, so I explained that if she persisted I would have to call the Police who would also look into the fraudulent use of a credit card. The female then threatened to hit me, at which point I decided she was beyond calming down. I walked straight to my back office and rang the Airport Police. I returned to face the female, and kept her focus and verbal aggression on me and away from other staff and public for a few minutes until the Police
  more... arrived.  less
innovative & fun
Route Analyst Caribbean & Florida (Current Employee) –  Crawley21 October 2015
• Ensure the right hotel & air product mix in the market, through right sales channels at the right price.
• Report, analyse & monitor daily sales, passenger volume & analyse gross & net profits
• Using my own initiative when creating offers, sometimes with short notice I always ensure the request is turned around in time.
• Working closely with the Marketing team to ensure the best offers are being used in press, emails and DM campaign activity.
• Running weekly flight availability reports and running bed availability reports to maximise sales opportunities by sharing the reports with the sales channels. Liaising with Inventory to request additional rooms when requited.
I worked with a great team that all pulled together when meeting deadlines.
Pros
great travel benefits
Cons
always having to be 1 step ahead of competitors
Fantastic company to work for!
Retail Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh17 September 2015
I've worked in the travel industry for almost 30 years and without doubt they have the best travel perks in the business. Have visited many amazing destinations during my 5 years with the company. Potential commission earned is amazing when sales targets met and with hard work and dedication they can easily be achieved.
Pros
Sales bonuses and travel perks!
Cons
Can't actually think of any
Productive Workplace
Senior Route/Revenue Analyst (Current Employee) –  Crawley West Sussex6 July 2015
Productive and hard working work place
Flexible / Work Life balance
Team player but able to work off own initiative
Demanding & rewarding
Pros
Worklife balance
Cons
Lack of progression
Retail Sales
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Retail29 June 2015
Overview:
Virgin Holidays is a Southcentric company, as a result there is a North-South divide in terms of not only the product but also of work/life balance, pay, bonus, rewards and the pressure for target.
As a Northern based employee my experience has been extremely high pressure and low reward. The company from my time here appear to have very low regard for their employees, the threat of unemployment is ever present. This is felt two fold, through the strict unrelenting sales targets and Performance management program and what seems like almost daily store closures.

Progression:
Progression is non existent.

Bonus:
Bonus is profit related and only paid upon achieving full target. Should you be based in the North away from the product which is almost all based from the two major London airports, you will struggle. This is further complicated as Virgin operate two target structures; while the actual target and the bonus target are the same they are calculated differently which is quite simply ridiculous.

Benefits:
Flight benefits are good as a result of being aligned to Virgin Atlantic, however the Holidays side of the benefit package (hotels, transfers, excursions etc) is poor. Using Booking.com is almost always cheaper.

Pay:
Full time around between £13,500 - £15,000. No shift allowance is paid to retail employees, even though it is to the call centre staff. Average pay rise is 2% if annual target is met.
Pros
Flight benefits. Uniform. Customers.
Cons
Low Pay, High Pressure, Poor work-life balance, Badly constructed bonus system which is changed regularly always for the worse, Poor staff walfare, Poor management, Poor job security

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Virgin Holidays. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8