Victoria and Albert Museum

Victoria and Albert Museum Employee Reviews

United Kingdom29 reviews
The work typically is helping visitors enjoy collections and activities in the museum. Additionally, proving them necessary help. It is a friendly workplace and always received strong support.
Lack of training and opportunity of progress. very poor communication between senior management and retail assistants. During the time that I worked there was a high rate of staff sickness due to mental health difficulties with work triggers that was never addressed but swept under the carpet and ignored. The team that I worked with were incredible talented and motivated but were treated very poorly by senior management.
It is an excellent and friendly workplace which immersive in the artworks. Colleagues are so kind and very cooperative. It is a workplace and job very suitable for a big fan of art.
I'm sure this depends on the department you work in but I definitely got the short straw. Initially I had a placement, they were lovely, welcoming, sociable and inspiring people to be around the collection is extensive and mind-blowing to work with such knowledgeable people was an honour. I was then offered a short term contract by the department I couldn't say no to being involved with such a fantastic group of people. However on returning to the same department iv never felt so unwelcome to be back in a place by a small majority of people that were lovely to me before they became bullies that were sly, competitive, rude, patronising and nasty, the higher up in the system the higher the pay for the less interest in the objects and more interest in their own personas. There was so much departmental conflicts between employees you had no idea what about but you were made to feel like you had to take sides and be stuck in the middle. I must stress this wasn't everyone some people had lovely soles but the darkness of a small majority ruined it for them all. It made it harder work than was necessary.
An amazing place to work alongside very unique individuals with diverse skills and interests. Provides you with a wide range of skills and you learn something new everyday you work there.
Very fast paced environment. This job is most stressful when it is busy, however management do give you guidance and support. Workplace culture is nice and friendly, great teamwork.
I work in the Furniture, Textiles and Fashion Department, on different matters, I did many various tasks, I learned a lot. People work really well. This is an inspiring place for those you are passionate about textiles, clothes and fashion.
I was working for them 1 year and a half. There is a lady in a production section who will treat you like stupid if you do not do things at first, shouts and treats you badly because according to the managament "she is like this" all of us who have passed by there have had problems with her but the chef defends her because it takes away a lot of work.When you call sick they can cut your hours like a punishment. In short the managament only wants us to make money and your well-being matters zero. Not recommendable.
Pros
Cons
Bad treatments
I got to learn a lot of the CMS as well as what went on behind the scenes at the museum. I am very grateful for the experience and I would definitely recommend to students .
V&A is lively place work and a great place to gain experience. There is lots to learn and explore with each day bringing different challenges. The museum captures everyone with their collections, exhibitions, tours and ever evolving activities
Behavioural detection of hostile intent and the use of credibility assessment interviewing to detect deception. We combine specialist classroom training with mentored deployment to a live operational environment and we get results; observing, identifying and interrupting criminal, and terrorist activity.
Pros
Subsides meals
Cons
Low pay
My day started at 9 in the morning organizing the bar for the service: it consisted in making the stock of all the drinks and ordering the food for lunch at the kitchen. We organize the bar for breakfast and lunch later. The hardest part was giving the roles to all the boys and control the performance of the service.
The work place culture was wonderful and felt like a family.
The team were very happy to share best practice and willing to help increase your experience by work shadowing or new projects. There were lots of opportunities to visit other training facilities in order to gain new ways of working.
Pros
Team work
Cons
travel time
You aren't allowed to have ideas here managment are about 10 years behind others, even the nicest people get sucked into the corporate bureaucracy that cripples any authenticity left in working in a publicly funded arts institute.

People at the top paid loads general floor staff who run the building are paid less than minimum wage. Often spoken to in a belittling manner. Some of the most unsuited personalities for the mangers who claim to be 'people' people. Job lacks any creativity and often you feel as if you are doing the job of a sign. Disgusting uniform which adds to the flat demotivated feeling of the place. Furthermore if you express any opinion you are told you have behaved 'aggressively', truly bizarre. Sometimes the day-to-day can be lovely however the more time you spend there the more you are exposed to the plethora of floors that grind you down and ultimately ruin the museum for yourself.

Frequently you will get no support from security or managment when facing difficult or challenging situations.

Lots of problems with the general running of the building as well as the constantly breaking down facilities.

Really disappointing work experience, managment only seem to know how to prove themselves by reprimanding staff for the smallest details which often are contradictory and nonsensical. Offensive and inappropriate comments are frequently made as well as rage outbursts from managers.

Also further up the museum there seems to be a feel of inherent racism and classism, the museum claims to support diversity but this isn't reflected in the staff
 - more...
Not the fastest of environments to work in as the inevitable large public organisation bureaucracy tends to slow down management decision making.
I am able to have the freedom to prioritise my day choosing when to come to site to survey and then where to carry out the drawing/CAD element - either at home or on site.

The most challenging part of any survey is access to rooms and secured spaces and surveying within ceiling voids and dirty basement services tunnels and congested plant rooms.Also a great challenge when working in crowded public spaces.
Pros
Interesting environment to work in as it's a tourist attraction
Cons
Has been frustrating in gaining access to survey in certain areas when required.
A brilliant place to learn, however long days with no opportunity to talk with colleagues can be very difficult for someone of a very active and social disposition.
I worked with the Artist in Residence, I shadowed her work days and did some research and did some sample sewing. It was a really good experience and I learnt a lot about the costume industry.
I had the rare opportunity to work behind-the-scenes on a major upcoming exhibition and the experience was very interesting. I did research on specific items and helped gather public information.
the organization has a task culture. very good place to work at, friendly colleagues and managers. got to see many events, celebrities and entertainment functions.
Pros
can move to a different role within the organisation
Cons
Lovely team, great to work with and got to travel to different cities and organisations to share information and knowledge. Very respectful and a joy to work with.
Start 9:30 with cleaning, tidy up the shop, also help customers, one break in a morning (10 min) and 1 hour for lunch, finishing at 6 pm. We got some training some time interesting. I have never seen a lamentable management like this, for a famous institution like V&A, if you suggest improving the running business, your experience has no value. The communication does not help, it is like to talk to the top of their hat. The hardest part of the job is to smile with the customers so rude and to explain one thousand time where is a lavatory because the signing in the museum is inadequate.
Pros
security job, retirement pension
Cons
lamentable management, no career advancement
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Victoria and Albert Museum. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7