VICTIM SUPPORT

VICTIM SUPPORT Employee Reviews

United Kingdom96 reviews
Calm and cooperative environment
I would consider the working conditions and working hours to be very fair and reasonable, however this could be mainly due to me being a volunteer instead of a paid employee. I enjoyed the problem solving of admin work and also learning the structure of a organisation that has locations throughout the nation.
Don’t do it
Absolutely shocking place to work. Massive turnover of staff. 4 people left in the short time I worked there. Spoken to horrifically and micro managed by unprofessional in experienced individuals. Such an emotional and toxic inviroment that
Pros
Good pension contributions
Cons
Toxic environment that makes you ill
Productive and fun place
Customer service is at the heart of our operation and regular feedback from our staff is key to our success. We are the agency workers agency of choice.
Please note this position is not a 'Permanent Position' with our client however agency shifts that will need to covered on an adhoc basis.
No stability
The Witness Service was with VS but now CA. Over the past 7 years I have had to reapply for my job a few times due to funding and restructuring. This will be happening again for next year. I love my job but the role has changed. The most enjoyable part is helping people from all walks of life.
Offers many benefits, and training
Job contract was dependent on funding, maintaining remit was a challenge with limited resources, but satisfying when achieved. A typical day was carrying out home visits providing home security to doors and windows with basic equipment.
Interacting with residents and offering security advice.
Pros
Job satisfaction resulting from successful visits
Cons
Traffic conditions, non attendees.
N/a
Very satisfied at the end of a day that you have help somebody to get through a tough time in their life . You learn that there is always somebody worse off and haveing a difficult time out there . It can be hard if things don’t go the way the victim and my self hoped for , but if things go the right way it’s a good day all round .
All take and no give
I have never worked anywhere where there is such a culture of hands-off management and lack of strategic direction - not to mention the expectation to be answering emails at 10 o’clock at night.
Poor Senior Management
Was made redundant twice by victim support after working for them for over 5 years. This was due to poor senior management decisions which allowed overpaying of themselves. The second time was after I commuted from Liverpool to Manchester to keep my job. Their poor decisions allowed for VS to be closed in Liverpool.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at VICTIM SUPPORT?
Great environment
Extremely diverse environment with very supportive coworkers. However, be aware that if you are a volunteer they are not allowed to give you a reference letter at the end. They only confirm the period you worked for the organisation, which basically sounds like a bad reference when your potential employers contact then.
Great Charity and Workforce
I feel as though the core of the charity is the vast amount of hard workers.
Victim Support is a great company to work for when it comes to the sense of pride and acheivement you gain.

Unfortunately i feel pay grades are unfairly set for the work and responsibility undertaken in some roles and oportunities for promotion are not always offered to the right people.
It's a nice place to work
I had to call clients to see if they needed practical and emotional support. Sometimes I would refer them to other organisation such as talking therapies. The manager was very supportive, and the team liked to share their expertise with the new people. The hardest part of the job was not being able to help everyone. The most enjoyable part of the job is to see that the team did not give up.
The management was very professional also they gave me a lot of support when I started to support emotionally victims. The workplace was multicultural and the staff were too friendly.
Good experience
On a typical day I make calls to victims of crime to introduce them support after an incident. I give immediate emotional and practical support and am able to make onward referrals for further support.

I have learned how to communicate effectively and developed a good knowledge of the criminal justice system. I have learned to work well within a team and to take my own initiative to work on my own.

I have found management to be hit and miss with different managers having different styles. I feel there is not always the support available for the staff as the role can be challenging at times.

The staff in my office are extremely friendly and supportive and make working there a pleasure.

The hardest part of the job has been having to hear of very difficult, often distressing situations from service users. I feel that the training is lacking in some areas, particularly in handling difficult cases and have sometimes felt a little helpless and unprepared.

The best part of the job is the satisfaction when you feel you can really help and service user and you feel the conversation you have had has helped and supported an individual.
Diversity in work
Good management support
Variation cases

Good training programs

Healthy work life balance

Positive work place culture

Chances to work independently and within a team
Lovely people and rewarding charity
The team are amazing! I just wish there was more paid opportunities so I could do more for the company. it is a very rewarding place to work and worth your time and energy to help others in need.
happy and productive
I very much enjoy working for Victim Support. The staff and managers are very professional and friendly and there are clear policies and procedures followed.
Interesting and worthwhile job
I enjoyed my experience at Victim Support, though schemes can vary from place to place. You also need a good team of volunteers to really b able to deliver the service to a good standard.
Person Centred Approach
Excellent company with clear leadership style that puts Volunteers and clients first.

Good work ethic and clear boundaries to adhere to. Staff are motivated and work well as a team to reach the goal of support for the client in question..

Loved working there and had a great Manager.
Pros
Great Team Work
Cons
Rolling Contract
Improve your experience supporting others/charity working
Colleagues are lovely, sadly management styles can leave much to be desired; training for them would be a start.

Organisation ethics are super and it's wonderful to be able to support and empower individuals, although staff on the whole are not supported by management or provided with supervision; we hear a lot of tradgedy. Calls are not recorded to aid training or protect staff/callers.

There's always plenty to do, which can provide opportunities for overtime hours; shift work is required for front line staff to cover opening hours.

VS have quality eLearning and an online training portal, although it's difficult to find time to make the most of these.
Pros
Great opportunities to support people
Cons
Poor management
productive job
Really good job to start in the field of social works. I am glad I have the oppurtunity to work in this organization. My role was mainly over the phone where I could give the first support and information to victims of crime. I learnt a lot in terms of Safeguarding policy too
a typical third sector employer
everything you would expect from working for a charity both good and bad.
good conditions and nice people not necessarily good managers.

Good intentions, bad decisions.