VICTIM SUPPORT Employee Reviews

Person Centred Approach
Volunteer and Victim Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Sandwell, West Midlands13 September 2018
Excellent company with clear leadership style that puts Volunteers and clients first.

Good work ethic and clear boundaries to adhere to. Staff are motivated and work well as a team to reach the goal of support for the client in question..

Loved working there and had a great Manager.
Pros
Great Team Work
Cons
Rolling Contract
Improve your experience supporting others/charity working
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Greater Manchester11 September 2018
Colleagues are lovely, sadly management styles can leave much to be desired; training for them would be a start.

Organisation ethics are super and it's wonderful to be able to support and empower individuals, although staff on the whole are not supported by management or provided with supervision; we hear a lot of tradgedy. Calls are not recorded to aid training or protect staff/callers.

There's always plenty to do, which can provide opportunities for overtime hours; shift work is required for front line staff to cover opening hours.

VS have quality eLearning and an online training portal, although it's difficult to find time to make the most of these.
Pros
Great opportunities to support people
Cons
Poor management
productive job
Victim care officer (Current Employee) –  London15 August 2018
Really good job to start in the field of social works. I am glad I have the oppurtunity to work in this organization. My role was mainly over the phone where I could give the first support and information to victims of crime. I learnt a lot in terms of Safeguarding policy too
a typical third sector employer
Information Systems Developer (Former Employee) –  Home Based13 June 2018
everything you would expect from working for a charity both good and bad.
good conditions and nice people not necessarily good managers.
Good intentions, bad decisions.
Good job to enhance people skills
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Darlington23 May 2018
Good place to learn and adapt new skills in dealing with the public. Rewarding in helping people with various problems, from burglary, fraud and emotional support. Working in your own time, mentoring others, giving back to society as a whole.
Pros
Experience in with dealing with the public, utilising and improving skills
Cons
unpaid, no job advancment
Great Team
Victim Support worker (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London23 May 2018
Nice place to work, just not a lot of opportunities for work within the borough you are volunteering for - or the job you wish to enhance a career within.
Interesting
Clerical Asst (Former Employee) –  Cheetham Hill18 April 2018
I enjoyed working for a secretarial agency, because of the variety and flexibility of work and working hours. The money was always good and it gave me time to give to my children
Pros
Good money
Cons
Zero
Great job satisfaction
Initial Response Officer (Current Employee) –  Essex24 January 2018
dealing with crime victims with great colleagues who want to help and support people. good relevant training on subjects. It is difficult dealing with other people's problems and emotions
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Some antisocial hours; poor IT
Loved working as a Volunteer for victim support
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Thames Valley23 October 2017
Was given my own Victims to work with, which was very challenging, rewarding and worthwhile. The work involved calling a victim and listening to how they feel after the crime? Then working with them to help them move on. Sometimes I would meet the Victim at a coffee shop or at their home depending on the circumstance? I was able to use the Counselling skills and Studies I had learnt (Even though I would say you don't Counsel your Victim.) Building a relationship of trust, advice (where available?) and sign posting Victims onto professional help, if necessary, Writing a report each week to update any details and basically helping the Victim to feel listened to and heard.

Just wish there was paid work in this charity.
Pros
Good training, Good support and felt great helping people.
Cons
Not paid work
Forward thinking charity
SERVICE DELIVERY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  East Midlands2 October 2017
Typical day at work included checking & responding to emails. dealing with issues raised by staff. Supervision meetings with staff at their satellite offices. Partnership meetings with various criminal justice agencies. Assisting colleagues where required. Analysing work and comparing results against targets, where a shortfall, setting up actions to adjust work and meet targets. Bidding for funds to continue charitable work.

Management at National level was positive for most part, however, locally, it was very deficient, with 6 senior managers being forced out of their roles by local management.

Workplace culture was very sensitive to those we provided services to. With 2 main services, there was a definite split in workloads and expectations.

Hardest part of the job was commuting to and from work. Most enjoyable was dealing directly with volunteers and clients

I learned much about analysing work and setting/monitoring targets
Pros
responsibilities given
Cons
travel to/from work
Great training for volunteers
Community Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Suffolk16 September 2017
Excellent training and support for people wishing to volunteer. Each case is unique and often challenging but rewarding in equal measures. The opportunity to do further training in more serious crimes available.
Rewarding and challenging role
Initial Response Officer (Former Employee) –  Chandlers Ford, Hampshire14 April 2017
Worked 16 hours contract a week however regularly did overtime equating to about 30 hours per week. Lovely small office environment with very friendly staff and volunteers overall.
My life as a Victim Support Volunteer
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  Prestatyn, Flintshire11 April 2017
I was a volunteer with Victim Support for 7 Years. I found great personal reward within my time at Victim Support.
On a day to day basis I would support a wide spectrum of people from all walks of life. No two people were the same. I have supported all ages, genders, religions etc. There is no restrictions within Victim Support, everyone is treated equally no matter who they are.
Within my time at Victim Support I learned a lot about myself, who I am and my outlook on life.
The hardest part of the job was being able to detach yourself from the heart ache of what victims of crime have gone through. Having someone offload their deepest feelings and fears to you can be very exhausting and a strain on your emotions but you become strong through experience and adapt where needed.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the smiles on peoples faces when they have been through the judicial system and have emerged from the other side as a stronger person who is one the road to a happier life.
Challenging and rewarding
Trainer, Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire12 March 2017
Confidentiality was paramount. Was able to meet deadlines and allocate volunteers to Victims of Crime

I have prepared materials and delivered core training (6 modules to potential volunteers and well as other subjects.

I have prepared reports, and raised awareness of any concerns I may have for Hertfordshire County Council each month.
Pros
Not applicable
Cons
No applicabl
Lovely to be able to help
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne, UK28 February 2017
Helping victims of crime etc.
Giving them the support just listening, Its great feeling when you are able to do as little but for someone its a lot just to be there.
Pros
Volunteering
Cons
Voluntering
A great place to work
ISD Support analyst (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester18 February 2017
lovely bunch of people, very helpful and welcoming, the management is good and supportive, giving a chance will work with them again
Loved working there, devastated when it closed.
SDA (Former Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear23 January 2017
Really satisfying work and great colleagues. Local office closed down. I worked as both a volunteer meeting clients and support staff assisting in all office work.
Pros
Job Satisfaction
Cons
Redundancy
not productive
Manager (Former Employee) –  Dudley19 January 2017
I left there no support at all too many chiefs and if face don't fit you got no chance. never had any decent people running it Go no idea at all and no people skills. Volunteers deserve better they give up own time but not treated with any respect
productive and committed people
Voluntary Worker (Current Employee) –  Earls Court16 January 2017
the workplace is calm and relaxed, staff is helpful and committed to the cause. training are excellent and as a volunteer i feel completely involved in the process and supported.
Appalling management
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London11 January 2017
Worked at a London office as a volunteer for nine months which was a complete waste of time for me.

Management was appalling, lack of communication and no transparency within the organisation. Advancement and training courses were very limited and only given to favourite members of staff, making it very difficult for advancement.

Although I have a criminology degree I was given very basic mundane work writing out leaflets and chasing up calls for those that need alarms for just a few hours a day, when I was remembered to be called into work. Not really what I had in mind to do.

Complaints to management are a waste of time. It's a very closed shop !
Pros
Charity supporting victims of crime
Cons
Appalling management.Lack of communication

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VICTIM SUPPORT. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3