Vets4Pets Employee Reviews

Awful workplace, made me hate my job and myself!
Veterinary Surgeon (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire16 February 2019
I don't know where to begin, this is the worst job I have ever had.
Lots of bullying happening within the practice (being called names, elbowing, pushed around and being treated like dirt), working very long days, 6 days a week, and not getting the time off I was promised. Also, underpaid.
Very understaffed and lots of pressure. Also very bad hygiene! I was cleaning everywhere as I was embarrassed for the clients to notice!

Made several complaints about bullying to management, nothing was ever done. The management were only worried about making money and didn't treat me well at all. Most of the terms on my contract weren't respected. Paid me less than what was specified and most days I wasn't given a lunch break. Some days I felt like I was going to faint, but was just told that, unfortunately, it was part of the job.

Has seriously damaged my mental health. I was even scared to write a review, but I needed to, as I want to prevent this from happening to other people.

Would not advice working for them at all!

Feel very let down, how a company this big have a majority of practices with these common factors (bullying, overworked, underpayment), I do not understand.
Pros
Cons
Bullying, underestimate their staff
Like being part of a family
Head Nurse (Current Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire14 February 2019
I have worked for Vets4Pets for over 5 years and I can say for definite I have loved every single day. It is corney to say that I look forward to coming in every day to see what challenge lay ahead for me, but I do. I never dread coming to work - it's like an extended family, it truly is.

Yes it is a lot of hard work, and long hours, but I know that is what being a nurse is all about in the best interest for animal welfare. Some days are very hard but by no means lessen the good days.

I am so grateful for the opportunities granted to me by my JVPs and can never imagine a better place to work for.
Pros
A lot of support, benefits and career prospects
Cons
You will want to adopt every stray animal you find
Do not work here....Run as fast as you can
Support (Former Employee) –  Romford, Greater London11 February 2019
Witnessed practices i could not believe. Unable to write here the things i saw. JVPs only interested in making a profit. Bullying commonplace. Head office ineffectual.
Pros
Cons
Deceit, bullying, extortion
14 February 2019

From Gordon Dunn, People Director, Vets4Pets

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was surprised to read the comments – and would very much welcome a confidential conversation with you to understand the specific concerns you raise. I do hope you will get in touch.

Not what I expected!!!
Veterinary Nurse (Former Employee) –  Staffordshire5 February 2019
I enjoyed working as a veterinary nurse. It all depends on the JVP! Some are good others not........
I gained a great deal of experience whilst working with the company and developed my skills greatly.
In general the nursing teams are fab, and you can learn a great deal.
What I didn’t appreciate was the lack of acknowledgement for hard work done - only acknowledgment was for errors or nit picking. Being under appreciated is the fastest way to loose staff. JVP s should be enrolled onto a team management programme to enable them to learn how best to handle their staff correctly.
Pros
Good experience dependant on practice
Cons
Poor team management
12 February 2019

From Dawn Haughton, Lead People Manager North, Vets4Pets

I was really disappointed to read your review and that you appear to have left us as a result of your experience in one particular practice. Whilst I appreciate it may be too late now, we do have a number of people available to support if things are not going well.

I am the Lead People Manager for practices in the Staffordshire area, and I am always available to support. We also have a team of People specialists in our Support Office who are always available to help and offer advice.

I would still be very keen to talk to you about you experience so we can learn from this. Please do feel free to contact our Support Office, and I would be very happy to call you back.

We do offer leadership training to all our Partners. In fact, last year, we launched a six-day leadership programme, which our Partners have found really helpful. We're running a further six programmes this year.

On behalf of everyone at Vets4Pets, I wish you all the best in whatever you have decided to do.

Horrendous company to work for... avoid avoid.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Southwest3 February 2019
Just don’t work for them... money is the only thing that matters! JVP TOTALLY money orientated. System just set up for marketing and selling. Just let any vet become a JVP.
Pros
Cons
Too many to mention
7 February 2019

From Gordon Dunn, People Director, Vets4Pets

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of working at Vets4Pets. I was really disappointed to read your review and would be very keen to talk to you in more detail about your experience. Please do contact our Support Office to talk to me or a member of my team.

We work hard to recruit exceptional Joint Venture Partners who share our values and passion for ‘putting pets first’ – in fact, this is one of our core values.

I do hope you will reach out to me or one of my team to discuss this further.

If cancer was a company
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Scotland30 January 2019
I worked for vets4pets in Scotland and i can only describe my experience as terminal.
From extremely unapproachable jvps to disgusting bullying behaviour, which seems to be vets4pets common denominator.
I was a receptionist, the girl training me walked out due to bullying and the disease just carried on to other staff members.
When making head office aware of bullying, the situation just got way more toxic.
There is no cure for this company.
7 February 2019

From Gordon Dunn, People Director, Vets4Pets

Thank you for posting your comments. I was concerned to read the contents and would encourage you to contact me to discuss the matters raised. Bullying and harassment is a matter we take very seriously, and I would urge you to get in touch with me through our Support Office so that I can investigate these serious allegations.

Avoid! If you want to continue in the veterinary industry don’t work for Vets4pets!
Registered Veterinary Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hampshire19 January 2019
I cannot begin to explain how bad this company is!
JVP’s are only interested in money and ridiculous targets. JVP’s have no management training so do not know how to people manage!
No support from head office! They advertise that they do not condone bullying or harassment yet I was being bullied and nothing was done!
Long hours- working within the pets at home you have to be open when they are 7 days a week including bank holidays!
No career progression for nurses.
If you are thinking about buying in... then say goodbye to your money and the never ending loan!
So all in all don’t do it!!
Pros
Good equipment
Cons
Bad management, long hours, rubbish pay

From Dawn Haughton, Lead People Manager North, Vets4Pets

Thank you for telling us about the experience you’ve had working for our Vets4Pets practice. I am disappointed to hear about the experience you have had. It looks like you’ve left Vets4Pets, but I would still very much like to speak with you to better understand the experience you had with the aim to try to make things better for others. If you are willing to speak with me, please call the Support Office on 01367 820820, and ask for me directly. Thank you.

Vca
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gillingham, Kent18 January 2019
Most of my team were amazing to work with. Management are very clicky and unprofessional with each other. They expect the world but do not provide anything in return.

I was rota'd on every Saturday so it was included in my basic working week however I was later told I was only allowed 1 weekend off per quarter, none of this was stated before my employment. So my work/life balance was not ideal working here.
Pros
Up to date surgeries, great theatre
Cons
No work life balance, horrific wages, low benefits in practice, lack of basic diagnostic imaging(ultrasound)

From Dawn Haughton, Lead People Manager North, Vets4Pets

Thank you for providing feedback on your experience working for one of our practices in Kent. Thank you for positively mentioning your colleagues and your practice’s modern facilities. I would very much like to hear more about your experience, the things you liked and the ways we could improve. If you would like, please call our Support Office on 01367 820820 and ask for me so we can speak one-to-one. Thank you.

Great, fun, caring place to work-and also very flexible!
Practice Manager (Current Employee) –  Bitterne, Hampshire15 January 2019
I have worked for Vets4Pets since 2010, having been in my current surgery since we opened. It is a fantastic place to work mainly due to our JVP Andrew and our fantastic team.

Good working hours, great team relationships and we are very lucky to have a vast bonded client database. Vets4Pets really does care about pets. Although the financial side is obviously important as that's needed to keep the practice open, this comes second to the animals welfare as I have witnessed on several occasions.

A great place to work-you get out what you put in and the rewards are fantastic for those willing to do so. I am very fortunate that my team all have the same work ethic, regularly going above and beyond to take care of our clients, their pets and each other.

I couldn't imagine working anywhere else :O)

From Lucy Melling, Recruitment and Engagement Manager, Vets4Pets

Thank you so much for sharing your experience of working for Vets4Pets. We’re pleased that you are enjoying your work, your practice and your team. As you know, at Vets4Pets, we put pets first so thank you for mentioning your experience with this in your review.

If there is anything you can think of that would make your experience even better, please email me to let me know. Thank you again.

Awful company, even worse management
Head Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Hampshire7 December 2018
Management have no training! Support office provide no support! Company allows bullying with no action taken! JVP's do as they wish and treat staff really badly! Area managers / BDM do not care as long as the money is coming in! They expect the world and give nothing back!
Avoid working for any Vets4Pets at all costs!
Pros
There isn't any about the company
Cons
I wouldn't know where to start!
Dreadful company to work for.
RNV (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands24 October 2018
Best avoided at all costs.

There is a prevailing culture within the company of treating staff like dirt; ridiculous work loads, lack of back up or support, a culture of not taking legally required breaks, and of working beyond agreed and paid hours. Shocking.

They employ low quality veterinary surgeons, many of whom are roaming locums who just move from one disaster zone to the next.

Their primary driving force is money, and they seek to extract as much as possible out of every client and their pet, in every situation.
Pros
None whatsoever
Cons
Long hours, lack of breaks, no support, dreadful management team.
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clipstone Rd W, Forest Town, Mansfield NG19 0BU19 October 2018
A typical day at the work was to fill up some shelves and to answer any of the questions that the customer had. furthermore, to help the staff with the equipment and to clean up at end of the day.
Enjoy day to day work but money poor
Client Care Advisor (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow18 October 2018
I enjoy going to work but the pay is poor and based on age, therefore doing the same job for less money than other colleagues even tho I have more experience/ I am training them. Not many opportunities for progression.
Pros
Paid lunch, nice colleagues.
Cons
Unsociable hours
I have very much enjoyed my time here
vet nurse (Current Employee) –  Cornwall16 October 2018
I have worked here for a long time. I enjoy a good life/work balance and requests for slight changes to my hours have always been met with approachable discussion.
They team I work with really care about pets and also their owners and we offer the best possible service we can .
I never feel pressured or targeted and have been actively encouraged to develop skills and learn through paid cpd.
I would definately recommend working for vet4pets at any level or job role. Its like anywhere tho one will always suit one more than another .
Overall I have been very happy here
Pros
no ooh, skills funded and proactively encouraged
Cons
weekend working
Poor management
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Crewe, Cheshire26 September 2018
Poor management and culture in workplace.

management happy to bad mouth other staff and create negative environment.

No career progression, previously promised training, more hours and pay reviews which were never received.

Very disappointing place to work.
Pros
Uniform provided
Cons
Long hours, bad management, lack of career progression
Avoid at all costs.
Client Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom13 August 2018
I actually don’t know where to begin. You will not be treated as a human being who may need a 20 minute lunch break in what often turns in to 10+ hour shift. No staff room. I quickly ate my lunch in a nearby bus stop. Every day.
No respect shown and manager was an aggressive, paranoid bully. No point in taking concerns higher as there was a pack mentality. No action taken and major problems explained away. This is just the tip of the iceberg.
I could go on... and on. Basic, fundamental things that you would take for granted in a job are not only not present but are actually fully abused. High staff turn over. In a nutshell, I wouldn’t wish employment here on my worst enemy.
Pros
None.
Cons
Everything.
friendly & happy
Veterinary Nurse (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough17 April 2018
there is no such thing as a typical day as everyday brings new challenges.
amazing team helping each other out.
good team management
hardest part of the job is the death of an animal
most enjoyable part is helping animals to get better
Pros
help when needed
Cons
Vets4pets in Bristol - Brislington, Imperial Park, + branches. Very bad management and work ethic!
Ex veterinary surgeon (Former Employee) –  Bristol. Brislington and imperial park6 April 2018
Am a retired veterinary worker. Had been in the profession all my life. The management at both of these vets4pets were awful. They were definitely in it for the money and treated all staff really badly. I would say to all veterinary professionals to never work in either of these places. Lots of bully and blame culture. I wish there was a zero star option! Keep well away!
Pros
Cons
Loads. The list is endlesd
valuable work experience
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Redditch6 April 2018
A typical day as a volunteer included cleaning the practice, viewing operations and consultations and helping sell products. I learned what it was like to work in a veterinary practice. The management was very kind yet effective. It was a very friendly environment, I felt very relaxed and safe when working there. The hardest part of the job was sterilising the whole entire practice and all the equipment within an hour and a half whilst only having a small number of staff. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that a client had walked out of the practice reassured that there pet was in safe hands when leaving their animal for surgery, but what was even better was knowing that we were capable of improving an animals life.
Pros
helping improve animals lives.
Cons
short time to clean.
brilliant
animal care assistant (Current Employee) –  Newtownards, County Down10 January 2018
brilliant and supportive staff, any task they are set is never too big and they always wild do what is the right thing to do for the animal and the owner. overall brilliant practice no faults at all.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vets4Pets. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9