Here to help: Coronavirus update

Vans Employee Reviews

United Kingdom31 reviews
Really nice place to work at
The culture is amazing, also the type of clients that come in make it really easy for you to perform on this job. The management team really did an amazing job
Not as fun as they tell you
Store was a nightmare, problems after problems arose. Management team tried to build a happy and fun atmosphere but were too tough on staff. The training was not adequate for the job they expected us to do. The managers were all competing to be the best one and ended up arguing with each other. Best part of the job was the discount, but it wasn't worth it. We were told to talk to each other, then not to. The commands from managers were rude and never the same. You could never win and nothing was good enough, but they never bother to help. People were having panic attacks behind the scenes and there was no support if you needed help.
Shambles of a work place!
Such a shame because I like vans, but working there is something else!
The management team are so unprofessional its a joke! Rude, b*tchy and they leave the assistants doing everything, if you have a problem they do not care, on many occasions management shouted at workers INFRONT of customers and then had the cheek to preach about customer service? I decided to leave the company as the management team were too messed up, rude and unqualified for me. They also loved putting people down. Its a shame as the team were amazing, it was upsetting to see how many people actually had an issue with this company.

Imagine working with no break in a fast paced environment and being moaned at for going to get a drink of water. You would literally feel like a bad person for wanting a drop of water, even though we were told this would be fine....

Also.. the lack of care, there were days when the shop was very busy and half of management were upstairs sitting down laughing at MEMES.

The shop floor I believe had only 2 supervisors at the time.. and they used to moan about managers too.

They dispose of individuals very quickly, and the pay was awful.

I worked in a central London branch and got paid £7.00

I am over 22 aswell
Pros
fun team
Cons
weird shifts, management is a disgrace, unprofessional
Good company to work for
There’s lots to do in your job role, including talking to customers for most of the day, which makes it pretty interesting and fun to meet new people.

Negatives would be that management and higher management are not always good with communication and seemed to have a problem with hiring people that were not necessarily a good fit for the store team
productive
This company lacks incentives and I feel as though the salary is too low. there aren't many long term staff members for these reasons. Management lack professionalism, the best thing about this work place is the fun employees and the discount.
beautiful colleague but i didn't feel to my easy
when i was working there, at the beginning everithing was beautiful but after a few time someone mobbing me and i didn't feel to my easy to carry on with the job so i sadly decide to leave the work
Inspiring Management and a lot of hard work
I had a very rewarding 2 years at Vans in Edinburgh. Enjoyed the people side very much, working with likeminded individuals and guided by managers that clearly cared a lot.
Managed to work shifts around my university schedule and spend my shifts prodominantly on the sales floor interacting with customers. Free uniform given and good discount. Left as I moved cities but could not get a transfer.
Pros
Uniform and fun colleagues and bosses
Cons
Minimum wage and no transfer available
Great brand but limited progression and low salary
A great place to work with a relaxed and fun atmosphere to the team. Management work well however not all aspects are clear regarding training and other procedures. Potential for covering other stores but limited progression at the company due to the tendency to employee external candidates for management roles. Low salary based on age not ability, however great personal discount to use in many brands owned by VF corporation. Good balance between working hours and social time which can be changed to suit your availability but operate on low hour contracts. Would recommend the brand to people looking for part time work or students in sales associate roles and management positions with competant knowledge of retail.
Pros
Great working atmosphere and staff discount
Cons
Poor progression opportunities
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Vans?
good place
great product information available to provide to customers
opportunity for career advancement and skill development

needs development on staff initiatives and incentives
Boring place to work
During the first week, it was quite fun sometimes as everything seemed so new and 'fresh' but once the second week began, things became extremely repetitive and boring as i felt i had learned everything and was being made to do the same exact things everyday. Co-workers were friendly though.
Not a bad place to work
i actually really enjoyed working for Vans, i had a slight issue with a member of management at the time of my notice period but otherwise no issues with management.
Vans is a minimum wage retail company for sales assistants but the perks of the company are great, i would definitely recommend working for the company as a whole very friendly family orientated company.

I left due to having an opportunity to move up north with my family.
Fun workplace
Best people to work with, just not paid enough to be working in central london where the cost to get there is ridiculous, I wish I lived closer and if so I would still work there.
Fun workplace
It’s a good place to work but the hours are long and you have to work a lot of overtime. It was hard for me because I lived around 15 miles away from home so travelling was a nightmare when they called me up last minute to cover a shift.
Pros
Good staff members
Cons
A lot of over time
The manager of the company, His a very good manager and helpfull
Typical day at work we sales around about 85 vans a month so each day at work is busy day for the whole team and that's make the day enjoyable.
We learned a lot from each order because mechanical we have to fix any problems with the vans.
New
A fun retail workplace serving shoes to customers and getting large percentage of family and get to hear interesting storys day to day due to vans' interactive serving scheme.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Weekly shifts given.
Fun place to work
People are great to work with, management could be better as hours are meant to be flexible but sadly I didn't find it worked like that for me also kind of lets down what the brand is meant to be about (losing the roots of what made it "vans")
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Not flexible with hours
Perfect as job during Uni period, but not to seriously grow up.
Pay rate is the minimum, your efforts in store are not gonna be well rewarded. Specifically in my case, in which I have been managing the whole stockroom for month, with managing task in a 7,50£ per hour pay rate. Bank holidays? In Vans they doesn't exist.
Staff is obviously the best part of the job, people here are experts about what the sell and we all have true passion for Vans product.

Management offers flexible shifts, that's why it could be a perfect job while studying. Regarding the growth in the company: is difficult because the store is not that big and the manager's due is already settle in a way in which not lot of supervising stuff is needed.
Fun and chill environment
Vans was a place of skaters to have a family and to connect to people . The job had amazing benefits including 50% off and the workers were nice and chill and made friends quickly. Good job.
Fun and encouraging place to work
Although retail doesn't appeal to me for a career, this is a great part time job where I love my colleagues and the products I sell. Would recommend this place to anyone.
Pros
Great products
Cons
Retail environment
very good
this isn't a business anymore so there isn't any need for me to review it, so I don't really know what to put in this section but I cant seem to skio it,
Ambiente de trabajo distendido
Ambiente genial con los compañeros e incluso el trato con los clientes era mucho más relajado. Una vez más la pasión por la marca a la que representas juega un papel crucial.
Pros
Descuentos, ambiente
Cons
Ubicación de alguna de las tiendas a cubrir