Play YouTube video button

Utility Warehouse Limited Employee Reviews

United Kingdom100 reviews
Featured review
Utility Warehouse Limited selected this as a representative review
The atmosphere is great here. I've never worked for a business where people show up smiling on a Monday morning.

Everyone from colleagues to management have been supportive and helpful and I really feel like a valued part of the business.

It can be high volume at times, but I work in a great team and we help each other out when we get busy.
Pros
Good employee recognition, onsite canteen, employee events, annual bonus, cheap Bupa insurance and friendly and supportive people.
Cons
I found the systems a bit complicated initially, but I let the person training me know and they helped me get the hang of it
25 June 2019
Thank you for your feedback. We are so happy that you have caught on to the UW vibe of happiness and have felt supported from day one. We would love to explore your comments around training and systems further. Our dedicated training team are always at hand as you mentioned but if you are spotting anything else they can help us make sure our new starters and existing teams feel confident please do feel free to approach them as they would love to hear from you!
Made friends gave me confidence , plenty training , perks free holidays, free cars housing plan share, commission up front , working remotely, free led bulbs £ 50 for referring , free Xmas hamper, Cheltenham Derby free ticket plus free horse bets, all your home service in one
Pros
Good lunch
Cons
Flexible hours
modern day slavery, they monitor you 24/7 & tell you off whenever you take to type.Management is very poor & you only get promoted if your friends with managements
Pros
Canteen
Cons
Long hours, poor pay, poor structure
Utility Warehouse is a cult-like, multi-level marketing company or "pyramid scheme" business where all the time and money you spend on "building your own business" only goes to the people at the top who are the face of the company, with their success stories being the reasons people join. It's disgusting how the company is run and what it is founded on. Don't fall for it.
Pros
Very poor management 😡😡😡😡, really poor customer service. People are not treated fairly and management has their own favourites to promote, staff are constantly swearing and using foul language when others are on the phone to customers which is very unprofessional. They only know how to use people and then keep extending their probations until the person gets fed up and resigns! This is talking from my experience.
wow.wow.wow. amazing company to be a part of. you are your own boss. loads of support. flexible working around children and even a main job. awesome opportunities and benefits while you build your income.
Pros
free luxury holidays to qualify for - reward for consistent effort
Cons
no activity - no pay
I basically had a nervous breakdown after working 9 months for this company.
During my time there, I was constantly being put under pressure as your every move are spied on and they cut you no slack whatsoever.

You have to be at your desk at 0859 to be sure to start taking calls at 0900. Your bathroom breaks are monitored and you lose points for taking a breather from all the incoming calls of angry customers on the line. You also get marked off if you spend too much time on the phone explaining things to customers in details.

The salary wasn't anywhere near enough for all this mental anguish, and definitely not enough to afford living in the area.

In the end, I was just physically and mentally exhausted. It took me a few months to recover after that.
13 May 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am sorry to hear you found this role so stressful. I would be interested to learn more about your experience with us, please contact our People and Culture team for a more in depth conversation. The Resourcing team have updated the recruitment process to now ensure that not only are new starters are aware of the expectations of the our customer service advisors, but also that they are assessed according to these expectations.
Forward thinking company
Upto date with technology

Reactive to change

Good communications

Realistic work schedule

Good working systems

Management seem approachable and proactive
I worked there for 3 weeks and it became really apparent how bad how the trainer was, I heard stories of arguments with other staff but I found its her way or the highway, I never saw her admit she was wrong, being humble and its a shame as she is a really bright trainer but being humble, "agree t disagree" is not in her vocabulary.
The amenities are amazing, canteen, sports room, showers, its all quality.

Some really nice sales staff and managers as well.

A higher wage than normal with other energy companies but the system was quite good but putting the payments through is a nightmare, I lost 4/5 sales as would not accept DD details after 30 mins plus getting acceptance on all utilities. Really kills a true blood salesman.
8 April 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am pleased to see you found the amenities and benefits package desirable.
I am sorry you felt you could have received a better training experience and would appreciate it if you could contact the People and Culture team directly to discuss this further so we can make improvement for future employees.
Your very own business, to work hours that suit you...saving people money on one low monthly bill as well as offering people to join as a partner to reap the huge benefits and incentives UW have to offer
The compensation plan is phenomenal
Team on phone is great always there if you need them . But cant get customers at the moment due to coronavirus lockdown.

You get friends and family to join up , then door knocking to get more customers .
Good long term employment experience.

The Utility Warehouse is a unique home service provider, whose customer base relies on customer referrals rather than advertising and marketing. Operating the Utility Warehouse Discount club, it currently provides over 500,000 homes and small businesses throughout the UK with Home Phone, Mobiles, Broadband, Gas and Electricity.
1 April 2020
Thank you for your review and the overview of the company.
We would be interested to know who we can get your 3 star rating up to a 5 ? Any other information you can provide on your employee experience at UW would be greatly appreciated.
Thought this would be a great change, promises of benefits / securities / and transparencies.
What they don’t tell you is the small print in documents that you sign.

Such like, they will collect any monies that they see fit to recover if you where to have an unavoidable incident within the company, ie....charging the excess from the insurance company, which can be in excess of £500, naming drivers to the insurance Company when incidents happen, such like if a 3rd path damaged their vehicle they still put the drivers name forward, which could affect their own insurance quotes.

Promise you your own post code area or working just either side of your district, when in reality you could be working up to 2 hour drive from your home

I thought it was a good move, however rethinking my decision, just like many other engineers
Pros
Stock Delivery direct to vehicle, goody bag after each delivery
Cons
Non technical managers in a technical role, promises not kept, travel distances, non existing / impossible bonus structure
Some great people working there but theres no real structure and managers are underqualified with no coaching or training experience. They will throw you under the bus for petty reasons just try and get ahead. Weekly reviews were you will have negative comments even if you scored 100%. I left after receiving a late form for being one minute late even though I was at my desk.
it just didn't pay the bills no matter how much time you put into it. i would make great efforts to see all the people i could and spread the word of utility warehouse but even after meeting a people a few times, there was no guarantee of signing them up. i needed a steady income and not something that was charging me per month.
Taking calls about broadband issues from customers.
Calls come in constantly which can be stressful at times.

Management are very supportive.

Good work place culture, give good training of the role.

Hardest part of the role is dealing with customer complaints.

Most enjoyable is solving a customers issue quickly and efficiently.
1 April 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed the culture and found both the training and your managers supportive. Our training aims to provide you with the best tools to manage customer queries as effectively as possible.
Having had a bad experience as a dual fuel engineer in a previous company, UWHS is a breath of fresh air, everyone from the directors down are approachable, helpful and friendly.

This is a company that has the right approach making everything easier for an engineer, thinking of engineers first which is the best approach to take.
Pros
Collaborative, relaxed, and fast paced
Cons
Great company to work for with good opportunities. Big focus on promoting from within. Hardest part of the job is working within the call centres as it's high pressure due to call volumes.
1 April 2020
Thank you for your feedback.We love promoting our internal staff and glad you are able to see this for yourself! We understand that call volume can be high at times; we are always looking at hiring new talent and up-skilling current staff to help reduce that pressure on you.
-KPIS and goals for high achievments
-not really concerning to the customer

more about numbers and calls

- good customer service

-high volume of customers
1 April 2020
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to see you found your time with us unproductive. We look at KPIs to ensure we are able to give our staff measurable feedback so they can progress and improve in a structured environment. Thank you for highlighting our great customer service.
its a decent place to work staff are friendly travelling is an issue,
is more complaint driven as regulations have changed which leads to customer service issues and have deal deal with complaints on daily basis
1 April 2020
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to see you enjoy the environment and the company of your colleagues.
Utility warehouse are not so much an employer but more of a lifestyle choice that can really provide for you & your families . You are shown how the business work with a superb support network & a head office that is simply world class & industry leading
10 January 2020
Thank you for your very positive review.
We are very happy that you are enjoying your time as a Distributor.

Wishing you even more success in this new year!
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Utility Warehouse Limited. Our community is ready to answer.
Utility Warehouse Limited Reviews by Location