University of the West of England Employee Reviews

Easy to fit around studies
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Bristol4 April 2018
The job offers a variety of roles, so no day is the same. The management of the job was good, but never seen as work was conducted independently. As the work was often independent, there wasn't really a work culture as such. There wasn't much difficulty in the roles, as they were pretty straight forward and I already had the skills required. I love the flexibility offered and that there was always something new and interesting to undertake.
Pros
Variety of work, meet and network with a lot of people
Cons
Difficulty in obtaining shifts
Productive and Fun environment
PAL Leader (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol24 March 2018
Staff were very accomodating, and the work place was very educational.

The hours were extremely reliable meaning I could work part time while studying and full time in the holidays
Good work life balance
good infrastructure
good place to work
Under supported
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Bristol12 January 2018
My experiences have been negatively affected by a lack of good quality support from management which made the experience far less enjoyable than it might have been otherwise.
Pros
Friendly staff when available
Cons
Lack of support
I learned a lot
Electricians Mate (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol3 October 2017
Reawoken my electrical skills learnt in earlier times and added more.
met good fellows got to grips with on-site politics harness my skills
work in all weathers.
Pros
experience invaluable
Cons
pay
Working at UWE
Research Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Bristol robotics laboratory24 September 2017
Working at UWE has been a pleasure day in day out. The Bristol robotics laboratory is an inspirational environment and I learn many new things with each passing day.
Pros
Great people
Cons
£1 coffee machine
Day at Work
Strength and Conditioning Coach (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol23 August 2017
answer emails, work with different departments and under many different management types. Plenty of opportunity to work with students. I would work with, on average, 80 different athletes a day.
Excellent learning environment
Resourcing Officer (Current Employee) –  Frenchay, Bristol13 June 2017
UWE is a fantastic place to work. The standard of work produced by the Students is incredible.

Employees receive plenty of opportunities to go on internal courses, attend student lectures (if they want!) and go along to any of a range of external speaker events held on Campus.

There is clear direction with the '2020' strategy and employees understand how their role fits into the overall direction of travel.

Employees are empowered to manage their own workload and take advantage of the flexi working scheme.

You can use the student facilities, with a wide range of bars, cafes and sports facilities available. There are also excellent cycle to work facilities including showers and clothes dryers!

Can thoroughly recommend UWE as a place to work.
Pros
Flexitime, excellent pension scheme
Cons
Plenty of work!
Fun and flexible
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Frenchay28 May 2017
Its very flexible, one can decide when to work. For a student the pay is good and the job has some variations to what is needed. This includes presenting the university and doing campus tours as well as talking with prospective students about your own subject of study.
Good place
Associate Lecturer p/t (Current Employee) –  Bristol7 May 2017
A good university with support for disabilities and students. Good facilities and understanding of the needs of students. Supportive to staff and nice campus.
Excellent University
Associate Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Bristol, UK24 April 2017
I've been both a student and employee at the University of the West of England. A very welcoming culture with friendly staff and an excellent attitude to education.
Fun workplace
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol22 February 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working as an ambassador and as part of the UWE BoxED team, going around underprivileged schools and communities, providing practical sessions they wouldn't usually come across in a school.
Pros
Great bunch of people
Cons
same place as where i study
CSO officer
Campus Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Bristol15 November 2016
As a Campus support officer I am responsible for the safeguarding of students that reside on the University Campus. This includes providing a round the clock drop-in service for residents that have issues or concerns which need resolving. Working in a University environment means students’ lifestyles can sometimes create some conflict. It is paramount that I have the ability to deal with confrontational situations and at times remain calm under pressure whilst ensuring that conflicts are resolved in an appropriate manner and the right action is taken.

My First Aid Training means that I am often first on the scene to First Aid incidents. These incidents can range from a cut finger to serious medical injury and often required a rapid response to the emergency situation. The First Aid training that I have received ensures that I am able to handle the situation and respond correctly to the incident before appropriate support arrives. Other tasks that I perform include; responding to intruders or unauthorized persons on University premises, performing routine patrols and monitoring CCTV Cameras as well as leading teams in situations that involve vulnerable students or visitors who may be in crisis.

All incidents I attend are reported to ensure there is a record of the event that occurred. Using my ability to communicate effectively with a range of people along with my technical experience of using Microsoft Office and other email packages ensures that the reports I compose are professional and can be relied upon if they are required for auditing in the future.
Productive and fun workplace.
Peer Assisted Learning Leader (Current Employee) –  Frenchay campus28 September 2016
This position has allowed me to enhance my communication and organisational, and presentation skills. Working in a team of 2-4 it is my plan sessions to help first-year students utilise the information that they had learned in lectures and seminars that week, for instance, helping them to improve their revision techniques. Peer assisted learning leaders work under the management of the PAL office and PAL leaders liaise with the module leaders in order to make sure we are covering the correct course content in our sessions. Working with fellow students is the most enjoyable part of the job, and perhaps the most challenging aspect is ensuring that every session is different, useful but enjoyable for all of the students.
An Excellent Scheme
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Bristol3 September 2016
The Student Ambassadors allow the current students to build work experience whilst allowing the perspective students to learn about the university from an unbiased, student point-of-view.

There are opportunities to become team leader and work many different type of events. Training is provided. An excellent way to meet students from different parts of the university.

The hardest / least enjoyable part of the job is being positioned at a certain spot on your own on an open day, directing undergraduates to various places in the university, not allowed to sit down or be on your phone.

Most enjoyable part of the job is to represent your course, meet people who are as enthusiastic about the subject as you are and show them around the university and make new friends.
Pros
Free Lunch on Open Day
Cons
Zero hour contract, not guaranteed to work popular events
Superb institution
Snr Instructor (Current Employee) –  Bristol, UK1 September 2016
An excellent modern University.
Dynamic and forward thinking, adapting to societies needs for students and employers. Excellent student/staff symbiotic relationship, all harmonised within a University that offers first class facilities.
Pros
100% Excellent
Pivital role with autonomy
Acting Exhibition Conference and Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Bristol12 July 2016
Every day has a broad variety of tasks to complete, broad spectrum of stakeholders and clients to liaise with across the full spectrum of events and hospitality.

The income stream produced is reinvested into the University to support the student experience, which is very rewarding.
Cons
Uncertainty with current strategy
Was an amazing experience.
Full Time Student (Former Employee) –  Student10 July 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at UWE, studying to be a qualified adult Nurse. However due to a bereavement i was unable to continue my studies.
productive
MSC PAL LEADER (Former Employee) –  Bristol4 March 2016
There were no major issues with working for the university. I worked with other students. Far to commute from the centre of town but the bus links were ideal.
Interesting but can be cold and unwelcoming if you are a mere Visiting (or 'Associate') Lecturer
Visiting Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Bristol9 December 2015
As a university UWE is interesting, although as a Visiting Lecturer I am divorced from any of the decision making or management processes. In a way this is a relief. I turn up and do the teaching, then disappear. Relations with permanent staff are critical, but leave one very vulnerable to changes within the university about which you know nothing until they suddenly hit.
At the end of last year for example, three of my principal colleagues were made redundant at relatively short notice. As it was through them that my teaching had been arranged it meant that I was effectively marooned. There appears to be no particular thought given to VLs at any formal stage of UWEs processes, even down to there being somewhere to sit, or a desk (hot or cold) to use. You carve your own space and get on with it.
So if you are able to cope with this semi benign neglect things are ok. If you want a more structured experience you may feel lost and friendless unless you know that you have to actively seek them out.
No doubt for permanent positions the picture is clearer and more supportive

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of the West of England. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3