University of the Arts London
Here to help
Coronavirus update

University of the Arts London Employee Reviews

United Kingdom31 reviews
An exciting work place focused on free thinking and learning
A fast-paced, competitive yet friendly atmosphere, focused on thinking outside the box and working within the realms of self-directed learning for both teachers and students.
Appalling place to work
You have to ask yourself why the academic staff are on strike at the moment ? Not only does the college have all of the problems associated with the university sector (precarity, casualisation), it is also characterised by poor managers (be wary of the school of media - it is the worst) many of whom who have been rapidly promoted from within the ranks. The work culture is generally one of paranoia and fear with a high turnover of staff. It could all be so very different.
Fast paced, inspirational
A fabulous organisation to be part of. Working within an innovative forward thinking facility.
I learned that to be part of a team in a truly inspirational organisation is both inspiring and creates a secure environment.

I learned about sustainability and various inspirational social enterprises, working in the community and with MOJ.
A good place to work
An extremely good place to work with an ethos towards good staff, career development and supportive line management. You will also get great support through 1-2-1, mid term reviews and appraisals. Many tasks will be set through SMART objectives focusing on an individuals strengths/development. You will also work with many great individuals/ teams learning new skills which may enhance your career.
UAL was a great employer
I worked at the university for 5 years and it was great, a supportive and collaborative learning environment. If I have the chance to work there again I will.
Pros
Good team, hours and pay.
Cons
Not so many progression opportunities
Poor example of a fair employer
Unscrupulous managers managing down trodden staff. They do not care for the proper way of doing things and are unwilling to abide by their own policies and procedures.
fun university
Had the best time studying at this university. Made so many memories and also learned a lot too.Its an experience I will never forget and always cherish.
creative and fun
I thoroughly enjoyed my experience working there as I learnt so much and gained so much from this experience. I wouldn't mind working for them again in the future.
Pros
lunch
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at University of the Arts London?
Friendly, productive
Early start nice time of the day
Everyones voice is heard

Management kept us informed

Great workplace to be in

Tropical temperatures in the office

Not just colleagues but friends
Professional and homelike environment
A typical working day was starting by being briefed by one of the Supervisor/Manager in charge. After receiving instructions about the event, a map of the building was given to everyone of us. We were assigned with the daily tasks and then sent off to set up everything that was needed to welcome the guests.
I have been working for the same team for almost 3 years and this really gave me the opportunity to get accustomed to the working method and the team members. The scenario were I was working was almost perfect for me and the needs I had. Considering that I was studying and also in need of an employment which could help me to optimise my time schedule. That was potentially one of the best solutions I could have came across. The sum of all this factors largely contributed to create a very positive and enjoyable workplace.
Pros
No commute between college and workplace.
Cons
No free lunch
Great Manager
Great manager good hours to work around your studies and good pay. one downside is that you get paid a two months after you have worked so hard to budget for the month.
interesting a varied role
Great role which is engaging and developmental with variety and opportunity however employment status and mechanism for pay are not as good and progression routes are limited. there is a lot of travel involved in role which is not passed and no holiday or sick pay.
Pros
variety of work
Cons
poor employment status
Excellent organisation to be a part of
Really enjoyable and beneficial organisation to be a part of with a keen interest in arts education and transformable education.

Colleagues met during working events, annual meetings and other networking opportunities gives you constantly updated knowledge within the ever changing landscape of education.
As a student
As a student still studying at UAL I don't have a bad word to say. Lectures are very eager to help if you are lacking in any area and always try to push you to the next leave. Deadlines are very important at UAL as we are being prepped for the professional world everything we do has to be kept to a professional level at all times.
Pros
Everything is professional
Cons
Communication can be hard.
Wonderful place to work for anyone creative
It is a challenging job to be a lecturer and researcher but I loved every minute I was there and found staff to be supportive. The atmosphere at time can be full on especially towards the end of the academic year however overall great place to work.
Pros
Lots of exhibitions
Good Variety of Work Available
I enjoyed working with the diverse staff at the University of the Arts London. I enjoyed the opportunity of meeting, and helping students from all over the world. There was a variety of admin work which covered a variety of areas so it was never boring.
Pros
Gained transferable skills, could apply for other jobs internally in the University which covered sites all over London.
Brillant place to work
Vibrant workplace.

I enjoyed the 16 years I worked there as the job grew as the organisation grew and the provided an interesting work day and the progress was visible as I was there for the long period of time. Department went from 15 to over 150 in the time i was there.
Pros
Excellent work/life balance
Cons
Slow/no decisions made. Bureaucracy.
An excellent experience.
Work was extremely varied and included travel to different sites. Travel expenses were paid for. The workplace involved training seminars, otherwise it was travelling solo to visit as a representative. I learned a lot and would recommend this company to anyone.
Interesting varied workplace based within the Art School
Stock checking & re-stocking shop materials.
Dealing with customers face to face

cashing up at the end of the day.

placing orders to regular suppliers.

Advising customers on best and appropriate uses of materials

unpacking and arranging stock on to the shop floor.

More about art materials and their various uses.

Working in teams

dealing with peak times and serving customers in time pressured situations.

Dealing with people face to face.

Great to be working with creative people, scope to make the shop environment attractive and user friendly to the students.

Prioritising in pressured situations.

Cashing up skills.
Pros
staff discounts on materials, very local to Winchester
Cons
remote management in London
Fun and Enjoyable
The hours are flexible and the managers are kind and thoughtful. The jobs vary depending on skills sets and number of applicants. I have learnt how to be more confident in the workplace.
Focused on staff development
Friendly environment and plenty of development opportunities. You aren't expected to work long hours, The company is modern. There are events to keep staff up to date on whats going on on a bigger scale and there is always a networking event after with food and drink. Opportunity to work as part of a large complex organisation and strong communication skills are essential.
Pros
Good Hours
Cons
Lots of contract issues
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of the Arts London. Our community is ready to answer.
University of the Arts London Reviews by Job Title