UNIVERSITY OF YORK

UNIVERSITY OF YORK Pay & benefits reviews

United Kingdom74 reviews
I worked part time for the University in various roles while I studied there. Everyone was so kind and patient for those who were new to that kind of work and it was the perfect method for me to gain some experience and financial benefits while studying.
I only worked a short summer internship but the employer was very help/supportive, the hourly rate was high considering my inexperience and the opportunities were obvious.
Was working as an art teacher at Vanbrugh. The college was very flexible and gave me freedom to manage my own class. Always provided me with materials when I needed them
Pros
Free tea and biscuits and good art materials
Cons
Getting paid would be nice but ehhh cant complain really
Felxible hours and good pay, good atmosphere to work in with all your friends. Very sociable and allowed some free perks such as free soft drinks and a meal
The staff are great all the chefs I worked with where great people and very hard working the hours are great and I loved my time at university I worked in derwent Rkc and piazza
Pros
Hours of work staff meals
Cons
Friendly environment. Poor management. They offer personal development courses either free or for a fee _ depends on the course. Working hours can be flexible.
Met lots of new people working at YUSUbars! Great benefits and culture. Learnt a lot of new skills. Only issue is that sometimes organisation can be a bit all over the place.
Management have huge overexpectations. The work load may well take over fifty hours per week to complete.
Typical day is very long.

You may learn quite a bit.

Management is variable.
Pros
interesting jobs
Cons
Very long hours
Good place to work if you like too have a busy day. Term time work serving students morning to evening, out of term time I was serving conference delegates
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at UNIVERSITY OF YORK?
a good place to work for many of year, benefits were good and treatment of staff was also good, work hours were good, everything was good, movement to develop also
Each day was very busy, checking work hand-in timetables for students, giving out information sheets and receiving work from student, logging results and manning the help desk for the students on the Business course.
The most important thing was the correct logging of student results on the database - this was effecting the rest of their lives, and the results had to be accurately added to the database, so the correct score at the end of their degree could be given.

The job was shared with two other ladies, who were as dedicated to helping the students as I was, and also very easy to get on with. We helped each other balance our workloads and had a laugh too!

The hardest part of the job was getting to know all the students - most were Chinese, and their names were difficult to pronounce and spell. The workload was high, and had to be very accurate.

I enjoyed the atmosphere of learning, the challenge of the job, and talking to all the different people!
Pros
The benefits of being on a University campus & being able to use them.
Cons
Parking was sometimes a problem.
Good team of staff. Gained experience within the fitness industry. Very friendly and good staff team. Hard hours to work. But very nice customers
Cons
long hour shifts
The University of York is a professional place with a propensity for research. There are many benefits to the University of York, albeit some of the facilities are out of date.