UNIVERSITY OF YORK Employee Reviews

A truly learning experience
Main Coder (Former Employee) –  York21 September 2018
Volunteering at the University of York was incredible. I developed and improved my skills as well as my social connections. But most importantly, I helped with research in the developmental psychology field, which made really how passionate lecturers are in what they do. Volunteering there felt really rewarding. The hardest part of the job was how some tasks could be repetitive, but within its repetitiveness, there were always things that made you ponder about related things about the field, or the goal of the project.
Volunteer art teacher
Art Teacher (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire19 July 2018
Was working as an art teacher at Vanbrugh. The college was very flexible and gave me freedom to manage my own class. Always provided me with materials when I needed them
Pros
Free tea and biscuits and good art materials
Cons
Getting paid would be nice but ehhh cant complain really
Chef working on agency
Chef de Partie (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire3 May 2018
The staff are great all the chefs I worked with where great people and very hard working the hours are great and I loved my time at university I worked in derwent Rkc and piazza
Pros
Hours of work staff meals
Cons
Good money but soul destroying
Researcher (Former Employee) –  York, ENG13 October 2014
York University is a prestigious academic establishment which prides itself on its supportive and inclusive HR policies. Unfortunately, contravention of such policies are widespread, especially at higher management levels, where harassment and procedural misconduct go largely unchecked.

Provided you bring in substantial research funding you can get away with pretty much anything at this university. Certain quarters of the university operate under a ruthless culture of fear and blame. If you enjoy playing cloak and dagger office politics then you'll love it here.
Excellent University
Student (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire8 May 2018
Brilliant Russell group university with fantastic research opportunities and a 5 star electronics department. The campus is a beautiful, lakeside location, and the accommodation is excellent.
Productive Workplace
Researcher (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire12 April 2018
Good place to work with brilliant researchers. Always there to push you to be your best but offer support when needed. Sometimes admin was a bit of a mess and needed polishing but all in all a very good working environment and experience.
Good workplace
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire3 January 2018
Friendly environment. Poor management. They offer personal development courses either free or for a fee _ depends on the course. Working hours can be flexible.
Fun workplace
Bar Staff at YUSUbars (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire3 July 2017
Met lots of new people working at YUSUbars! Great benefits and culture. Learnt a lot of new skills. Only issue is that sometimes organisation can be a bit all over the place.
Good Institution
Neuroscience research internship (Former Employee) –  York2 February 2018
Member of the Russel Group Universities, with world leading research impact. Everyone in the city of York are extremely friendly. The teaching quality is 10/10. Beautiful city, lovely history; couldn't have picked a better university.
Great Place
Alumni Relations (Current Employee) –  York1 February 2018
Enjoyable place to work. Would recommend it. Can take a while to get paid sometimes due to quite stringent payroll system, but otherwise absolutely no complaints at all.
very nice place to work
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  York29 September 2017
very good place to work and i was very happy to work with students nice to see many different culture . I have been award as emplyer of the month. ..........
Rapid Response Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Derwent and Home FARM24 July 2017
Nice environment to work, friendly. Good and fair management, PPE provided and on job training.

I worked with a good team and feel we worked well together.

I would recommend working here
Pros
Parking (at a minimal cost) good support from all my team
Cons
A very engaging working environment
International Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  York, ENG28 December 2015
This part-time job requires me to take guests of the University on a tour of both campuses, introducing them to the University. I am pushed to develop certain interpersonal skills and time management skills, to ensure the guests enjoy the tour and that the tour is conducted in appropriate time.

My supervisors are very helpful and supportive, answering any queries I have, they are flexible in their approach.
Exciting, Rewarding Work Experience
Ambassador for Philosophy (Current Employee) –  York20 November 2017
Working as an Ambassador for the Philosophy department enabled me to devlop key work-based skills and glean an insight to the workings of a large academic department.
Good office environment
Administrator (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire15 September 2017
The department I work in is a great environment, although it is difficult being one of very few full-time staff and you do end up covering for the part-time staff a lot.
Professional development seems to vary depending on who your manager is, mine is very good and I have been able to complete a number of training courses while I have been employed.
Rewarding and stimulating work with a great bunch of students
Part-time piano and music theory teacher (Current Employee) –  London, ENG13 January 2016
Having started teaching the piano at the beginning of my studies at York University, I am now teaching part-time, privately in London. I very much enjoyed the lack or repetitiveness in my lessons. I have rarely had to cover exactly the same theoretical and technical aspects of the piano with more than two students as their experiences and abilities varied quite considerably. I would mostly cover basic scales, followed by some music theory involving sight reading and chord progressions. The final part of the lesson would mostly incorporate the repertoire requested by my students. I would initially ask my students to play it and if they couldn't, I would sight read it for them and indicate what to practice for the following lesson. This method proved to be most rewarding in the initial stages of their piano studies.
PhD
PhD student- (Former Employee) –  York, ENG30 July 2015
Well supported PhD following typical UK structure.
Responsibilities/ Areas of Study:
• Testing hypotheses regarding the evolutionary processes that underpin species richness differences across higher taxa of insects
• Production of peer-reviewed publications, internal reports and an extended thesis, aimed at disseminating conclusions to a technical audience
• Verbal and poster presentation of analyses to professional international audiences
• Data collection, assembly and standardisation from public databases and the scientific literature
• Defining research objectives and defending these before critical technical audiences
• Teaching and demonstrating of related concepts to undergraduate students
Good place to study and work.
Student (Current Employee) –  York, ENG14 October 2014
York is a really comfortable place to balance my work and study. With historical background, I could feel the culture and peaceful atmosphere here, actually.
Client Facing
Dyslexia Adviser (Current Employee) –  University of York27 August 2015
There is no such thing as a typical day, but generally my duties include helping students with their academic work and advising them on funding, advising parents and liaising with colleagues. It is a very client focused position which means being conscious of the individual needs of the students. This naturally requires a highly flexible ability to adapt and work independently.

We have an excellent team, with excellent communication between all the members. The hardest part of the job can be keeping up with the demand from students, but this is also the most enjoyable as it means this is a good indication of the quality of service we provide.

I've learned a great deal since working in my present position, certainly an awful lot about student support, but also the role technology, social networking and IT can play in enhancing working life.
Pros
Wonderful campus environment
Cons
Many of the buildings have not been designed for their present purpose.
Constructive learning environment.
Doctoral Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  York, united kingdom1 September 2012
The University of York is a professional place with a propensity for research. There are many benefits to the University of York, albeit some of the facilities are out of date.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UNIVERSITY OF YORK. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4