UNIVERSITY OF YORK

UNIVERSITY OF YORK Employee Reviews

United Kingdom73 reviews
Collaborative and interesting
Working as a small, close-knit team allows you to build strong work relationships making each work day enjoyable. Meeting new customers and working creatively makes every day different.
Stressful but can be fun
This wasn't my long-term career choice so I struggled at first getting into a different position and being surround by different responsibilities and tasks.
For short term employment this was enjoyable.
Friendly environment
A positive place to work, good life-work balance. Permanent staff are well treated. Post docs struggle due to rules and restrictions put on contract staff.
Pros
Good work-life balance encouraged
Cons
Restrictions on postdocs limits development
Intense
Intense work place with very stressful conditions. Due to repeated need for funding management are under a great amount of stress and this filters down to employees.
Great environment
Good environment, poorly paid. Would recommend as it is a good place to go to uni. Lecturers are very helpful and the facilities at the university of York are brilliant.
Post doc employment
I highly recommend postdoctoral employment at University of York. I have been served with an experienced and dedicated supervisor during the entire period of work appointment.
Good opportunities
The few positions I have held within the University have been well paid or well subsided when they were not paid roles. often fitted around university commitments though I only did the occasional day shifts.
Pleasant Work Place
A great and friendly place to work, a very casual atmosphere with strong friendships built.

Management and HR let the place down, with a lack of organisation, direction and knowledge amongst senior roles.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at UNIVERSITY OF YORK?
Busy but not friendly
The work was good, varied and busy but the other employees where not very friendly so I only worked there for a year because I didn't feel comfortable or able to join in as no one was trying to include me.
Jobs are awarded to friends and internal candidates
Recently applied for a Managers post in the Accommodation department. Despite having a great interview Job was given to an inexperienced internal candidate.
Cons
People are promoted on friendship basis
Could not wish for better line management. Fantastic learning and development opportunities and in my department the permission to be creative.
A wonderful department and a wonderful team. Fantastic line management. Staff are really supportive and enabling. I was provided with a number of fantastic learning and development opportunities both work based and taught.
Not all departments will have the same working environment so good to find out as much as you can before applying.
Fun workplace
A typical day would include communicating with many staff members and truly understanding how the firm operates as a business with a charitable purpose behind it.
Good supportive environment
Working as seminar tutor, supporting lecturers. Good working environment, plenty of support. Enjoy teaching, appreciate freedom to create own lessons. Only wish there were more hours and/or there was pay for lesson planning.
Very friendly and kind institution to work for
I worked part time for the University in various roles while I studied there. Everyone was so kind and patient for those who were new to that kind of work and it was the perfect method for me to gain some experience and financial benefits while studying.
Nice place to work
Opportunity to support students and academics, administering student lifecycle from initial enquiry through to graduation and beyond, in many cases. Training in use SITS student records software, use of Excel and Word on a daily basis. Nature of relationship with students has changed since introduction of tuition fees. Students (and, particularly, their parents) see themselves as customers and have greater expectations, particularly if things do not work out as anticipated. Time taken in monitoring attendance of international students on Tier 4 visas could be used instead to enhance student experience.
Fun work place
I gain some of the important knowledge during my work at University of York, for example after working at York now I am;
• Expert in data collection and management

• Proficient in RCT & Qualitative research

• Expert in organising, analysing, and managing large data sets to drive research project success.

• Experience of writing grant proposal

• Proficient in various software programs, including Microsoft Office (MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Excel), Endnote, Qualtrics and NVivo.

• Expert in interpretation of qualitative data and data extraction
Very motivating
The university was proficient at making its students work to their best potential. The opportunities available were endless and support for future career prospects always on hand. The Tea and Coffee cub was one of those opportunities and the best thing I took up at University. The most gratifying aspect was the ability to provide someone who is lonely with some company. Listening to their stories and hearing about their lives not only made them feel good, but taught me to be patient and considerate.
Chaotic management style
You have to ask why is there such a high staff turnover. Some just can't wait to leave because of the job pressure, wrong-headed and disfunctional management plus favourtism. The team takes on too many projects and lacks focus on the what needs urgent attention. As a result, poor project management and project creep. At the same time, some of the managers have alienated the rest of the university making it difficult for the doers to have decent relationships with internal customers. And, now there's another reorganisation...
A good place to work.
Working on a university campus provides a lively, pleasant environment with lots going on.

Helping students to use IT provisions most effectively for their studies very rewarding
Fun workplace
A typical day at work involves dealing with any concerns that any first year students might have regarding their course or about university life in general, and how to deal with their concerns. The hardest part about the job is having to deal with concerns at all parts of the day.
Secretary
University of York is a busy place to work with lots of interesting people and a nice working environment. The students were a pleasure to know and the staff where always happy.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at UNIVERSITY OF YORK. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3