UNIVERSITY OF YORK Employee Reviews

Great Place
Alumni Relations (Current Employee) –  York1 February 2018
Enjoyable place to work. Would recommend it. Can take a while to get paid sometimes due to quite stringent payroll system, but otherwise absolutely no complaints at all.
Good workplace
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire3 January 2018
Friendly environment. Poor management. They offer personal development courses either free or for a fee _ depends on the course. Working hours can be flexible.
Exciting, Rewarding Work Experience
Ambassador for Philosophy (Current Employee) –  York20 November 2017
Working as an Ambassador for the Philosophy department enabled me to devlop key work-based skills and glean an insight to the workings of a large academic department.
very nice place to work
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  York29 September 2017
very good place to work and i was very happy to work with students nice to see many different culture . I have been award as emplyer of the month. ..........
Fantastic University
Research Student (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire20 September 2017
fantastic university, great working conditions flexible project design, various opportunities for training and development, support and feedback throughout the research project
Good office environment
Administrator (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire15 September 2017
The department I work in is a great environment, although it is difficult being one of very few full-time staff and you do end up covering for the part-time staff a lot.
Professional development seems to vary depending on who your manager is, mine is very good and I have been able to complete a number of training courses while I have been employed.
good
Pa (Former Employee) –  Education department7 September 2017
Good experience, with very friendly staff, The food was great and not to expensive.
the location was great and easily accessible, even with the geese.
Rapid Response Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Derwent and Home FARM24 July 2017
Nice environment to work, friendly. Good and fair management, PPE provided and on job training.

I worked with a good team and feel we worked well together.

I would recommend working here
Pros
Parking (at a minimal cost) good support from all my team
Fun workplace
Bar Staff at YUSUbars (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire3 July 2017
Met lots of new people working at YUSUbars! Great benefits and culture. Learnt a lot of new skills. Only issue is that sometimes organisation can be a bit all over the place.
Productive place to study
Student (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire31 January 2017
I am really enjoying my university experience. The university encourages a very balanced work-life experience. The support offered by departments is incredible. The academic rigour of each course is obvious.
Pros
24hr Library
Cons
Inconvenient Lecture times

Want to know more about UNIVERSITY OF YORK?

Ask a question
Very impacting
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  York23 January 2017
It has been worthwhile working there, been the first experience of my work abroad, It has been productive, learning more about machines and chemical. Working with them as a team is amazing
Pros
Doing same thing everyday
Cons
short hours
Fast paced work
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire23 January 2017
Good place to work if you like too have a busy day. Term time work serving students morning to evening, out of term time I was serving conference delegates
funn
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  York15 September 2016
a good place to work for many of year, benefits were good and treatment of staff was also good, work hours were good, everything was good, movement to develop also
Satisfying and fun
Second and third year contact (Former Employee) –  York15 June 2016
Meeting new people and helping them adjust at uni whilst making new friends was a very satisfying experience that I will always remember positively. Colleagues were also fun and easy to work with.
Rewarding and stimulating work with a great bunch of students
Part-time piano and music theory teacher (Current Employee) –  London, ENG13 January 2016
Having started teaching the piano at the beginning of my studies at York University, I am now teaching part-time, privately in London. I very much enjoyed the lack or repetitiveness in my lessons. I have rarely had to cover exactly the same theoretical and technical aspects of the piano with more than two students as their experiences and abilities varied quite considerably. I would mostly cover basic scales, followed by some music theory involving sight reading and chord progressions. The final part of the lesson would mostly incorporate the repertoire requested by my students. I would initially ask my students to play it and if they couldn't, I would sight read it for them and indicate what to practice for the following lesson. This method proved to be most rewarding in the initial stages of their piano studies.
A very engaging working environment
International Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  York, ENG28 December 2015
This part-time job requires me to take guests of the University on a tour of both campuses, introducing them to the University. I am pushed to develop certain interpersonal skills and time management skills, to ensure the guests enjoy the tour and that the tour is conducted in appropriate time.

My supervisors are very helpful and supportive, answering any queries I have, they are flexible in their approach.
What I've learned at work
CPD Coordinator (Current Employee) –  York, ENG3 December 2015
I arrived to cover someone's sickness for 2 weeks and was instantly made to feel part of a very busy team. The team plans and implements courses and events both internally and externally. I have thoroughly enjoyed working as part of a busy team and feel that I have contributed effectively to the teams and the events and courses that I have been involved in.
In an ideal world the team would be able to access further funding and then I could apply for a post within the team as there seems to be plenty of work.
Pros
Professional working environment
Cons
Job Instability
Client Facing
Dyslexia Adviser (Current Employee) –  University of York27 August 2015
There is no such thing as a typical day, but generally my duties include helping students with their academic work and advising them on funding, advising parents and liaising with colleagues. It is a very client focused position which means being conscious of the individual needs of the students. This naturally requires a highly flexible ability to adapt and work independently.

We have an excellent team, with excellent communication between all the members. The hardest part of the job can be keeping up with the demand from students, but this is also the most enjoyable as it means this is a good indication of the quality of service we provide.

I've learned a great deal since working in my present position, certainly an awful lot about student support, but also the role technology, social networking and IT can play in enhancing working life.
Pros
Wonderful campus environment
Cons
Many of the buildings have not been designed for their present purpose.
Experience with teaching and analysis.
Postgraduate Teaching Assistant (PTA) (Former Employee) –  Computer Science Department26 August 2015
Temporary (semester-based) postgraduate teaching roles are offered to research students. This gives me the opportunity to interact with undergraduate students, answer their technical questions and make deeper analysis of the field I am teaching to be prepared for any related question.
PhD
PhD student- (Former Employee) –  York, ENG30 July 2015
Well supported PhD following typical UK structure.
Responsibilities/ Areas of Study:
• Testing hypotheses regarding the evolutionary processes that underpin species richness differences across higher taxa of insects
• Production of peer-reviewed publications, internal reports and an extended thesis, aimed at disseminating conclusions to a technical audience
• Verbal and poster presentation of analyses to professional international audiences
• Data collection, assembly and standardisation from public databases and the scientific literature
• Defining research objectives and defending these before critical technical audiences
• Teaching and demonstrating of related concepts to undergraduate students

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UNIVERSITY OF YORK. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4