University of Wolverhampton

University of Wolverhampton Employee Reviews

United Kingdom100 reviews
Relaxed yet professional work environment. Long-term staff are always on hand for support. Has provided invaluable work experience with good pay. would higher recommend
Pros
Remote working.
Cons
Intermittent workload
University is a good place to work with excellent job development. We have students from all over the world and all walks of life, making the atmosphere dynamic.
Pros
Handy for town
Cons
I have been going to this university for the past couple of months, the people and lecturers all seem to be nice and provide help whenever it is required.
Note that this refers to support staff and not academic staff.
Worked with some great staff for over 10 years but this place suffers from bad middle management and elitist attitudes. Staff consists of 75% workers and 25% slackers. Worked with a colleague that showed up only one day a week when they should have been there four days a week (for over one year). Complained about this to management but they never followed it up. It's a slackers paradise. Left the place as it was starting to affect my health.
Toxic work environment. Constant threat of redundancy. Little or no money for research. Vice Chancellor values buildings over staffing. Staff are under constant stress. Lots of needless paperwork. Good staff leaving in droves.
Pros
Challenging students
Cons
Long hours, no funding.
Working at the University is often stressful. Although the staff members are friendly and hard-working, the management is often more focussed on fire-fighting than strategic direction. This adds to the stressful atmosphere within many departments but provides many opportunities.
I act as a voice for the student body as we are often underrepresented and not given the chance to express our opinions and thoughts of concern for our experiences in higher education.

Built strong team working and communication skills through questioning and listening to the opinions my peers present to me, whilst liaising with my course leaders
Sometimes good, sometimes stressful. Did not learn much. Again the management not so good, leadship skills needs reviewing, team work I do not think individuals understand that concept at all, they treat newcomers like intruders as they have formed groups of friendship at work forgetting that it is a work setting. Hardest part is trying to do your job however no help team members and lack of support from management. Loved working with students
I loved working for the uni just wish thet would have me back when there was a vacancy available always paid on time friendly staff overtime wen you want it I enjoyed my time working for them miss lillian latchford
The university is not a good place to work, at least not for low scale administrators. Barely any training is given, staff just expected to know what they're doing from the get go.
Managers are mostly on power trips, not listening to staff, not willing to change anything and always getting their employees to do their work for them, the higher the scale you are the less work you seem to do.

Too many students and not enough staff. Staff in student facing roles face too many problems and aren't backed up by their managers.

No thanks given to staff who go above and beyond in their roles, no recognition, no motivation. There is no point in pushing yourself to your limits when you aren't acknowledged for it.

The university is also facing redundancies in the next few months, due to their over spending, the university is low on staff as it is.

The campus is open access meaning anyone can get in! Barely any security and when phoned are unresponsive. Staff and students aren't protected as they should be.

This place needs to listen to the needs of their staff, high sick rate and a high staff turn over can only point to one thing, you aren't treating your staff as you should, invest in your staff and they will invest in you.

I would not recommend anyone applies here, it seems the place is getting worse and worse.
Nice bunch of girls never had any problems everyone friendly even management if you have any problems they will talk to you or guide you to someone who can help
Pros
Good bunch of girls
Cons
Out the way have to catch two buses and end of month pay
In my personal opinion, if you have the opportunity to go to a better university and collect your degree there, then by all means do so but the uni, itself is not that great.
University of Wolverhampton is a large UK university based in the West Midlands, offering undergraduate degrees and postgraduate courses across 4 faculties.
Friendly environment. Helpful staff. Good social structure, enabling students to become a more rounded individual. Thoroughly enjoyable experience overall.
The University is generally a very good place to work, promoting a friendly and supportive atmosphere. There is lots of opportunity to develop your skill set and career.
Pros
salary
Cons
Flexiblility in work - life balance.

Fair employer but not many opportunities for growth and porgression. All courses for development are taught in-house and the selection little restrictive.
Pros
flexible work
Cons
not many progression routes
The working environment is very pleasant as are the staff I have direct contact with.
They offer some nice benefits such as preferential sports membership and membership of a benefits scheme for shopping and holidays, however they seem to offer less annual leave allowance than their counterparts in the sector, which is surprising.

Also, there appear to be a number of staff that have been employed at the university for many years, whilst this suggests a good employer, this is potentially blocking the influx of new blood in some key areas and preventing the introduction of new ideas.
Pros
Pleasant environment
Cons
Benefits not as good as other HE employers eg Annual Leave allowance
Excellent place to work lovely colleagues and a great ethos, My colleagues supported me from the start. Very good place to work highly reccomended. great opportunities for self development.
Pros
Great atmosphere to continue developing and learning
Gained valuable experience within Business Development and
Partnerships using Goldmine CRM systems.

Working with

Loan funding and grant funding Streams. Workshops and expos.
Pros
Free Car Park
Cons
Ftc
Very poor management and lack of progression. Senior management do not listen to employees. Most enjoyable part is working with students. Hardest part i all the extra tasks with no training e.g. marketing and sales
Pros
working on own initiative
Cons
Poor pay
working as a student ambassador has change so many things for me, it has given me the ability to get over my fear of public speaking, every event is different and you get to meet different people.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Wolverhampton. Our community is ready to answer.
University of Wolverhampton Reviews by Location