University of Sussex Employee Reviews

university student
Student (Former Employee) –  Sussex17 January 2019
I was a university student at Sussex University, I rate both the teaching and social experience I had there as outstanding. Without doubt it has helped me in develop myself as both a professional and functional member of society.
productive work place, with friendly staff
Resnet Tester (Former Employee) –  Falmer, East Sussex15 January 2019
I had a very pleasant experience during my time here, shown by my decision to return the following year. They were an excellent employer and it was a fun and welcoming environment to work in.
Flexible and willing to help me develop skills
Doctoral Tutor (Former Employee) –  Brighton11 January 2019
I was a student here and was also able to work for the University, the work I did was flexible around my studies and I found it easy to find work that was relevant to my future goals.
Review summary
Technican (Current Employee) –  Falmer10 January 2019
Very Busy as more and more students are doing degrees in Neuroscience, Biochemistry, Virology,
A typical day would be preparing 10 to 20 chemicals for 120 students.They work in pairs, 2 sets of 30 groups.It is a 3 hour practical.
Equipment i.e. spectrometer, balances, computers are all set up ready for students to do their practical. When finished I clear up and set the same set for the next lot of 30 students. Clear up at the end of the day and set up a new lot of chemicals and equipment for a new practical which could be a Virology or Microbiology practical.
The solutions have to be there ready for 9.00 am and practical has to run smoothly.Various chemicals all have to be made at right concentrations and disposed of using COSH regulations.
Normal environment for an University
Associate Tutor for Developmental Biology (Former Employee) –  Brighton14 November 2018
The facilities of the campus are good, but the food is not. As a PhD student, there is a lot of support. As an Associate Tutor, the work conditions were good and I was always paid on time.
Appalling experience
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Sussex10 November 2018
Management is self-serving and a danger to your health and mental well-being. Workload insane. Stay away or at least be aware. The union is useless as well.
Pros
Nice location, students
Cons
Management, unrealistic work loads
Nice place to work
Freelance Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Sussex8 November 2018
Nice grounds and campus. The on site facilities are overall adequate. The University provides and pleasant environment to work .....................................................
Good company to work for
House keeper (Former Employee) –  Sussex7 November 2018
I worked here for about to 2 months and enjoyed most of it. My work colleagues were very enjoyable to work with, everyone was very helpful and easy to get along with. Although at times I felt that the management wasn't very organised as some days we wouldn't have much work but the next day we would have to be rushing around. Overall the best part about the job was the satisfaction you get after cleaning a room and knowing that it is nice and ready for a new student to live there.
great experience but growth is not guaranteed
Senior Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex5 October 2018
its a great way to learn and gain experience. however, opportunities to grow are rare and if one comes up, they rarely consider internal employees. they subject you to competition with external applicants, and in most cases they end up giving the jobs to new people and not considering the older ones who already have experience. this makes people just leave even when you were actually enjoying the role.
Pros
understanding and friendly management and colleagues
Cons
no career growth
Not very well oriented but very diverse and creative
Member of HR (Former Employee) –  Brighton3 October 2018
I pretty like the experience in Enactus because of its creativity, diversity and freedom. there were many sections in the society such as handcraft, supportive administrative team and etc.
Former part-time postdoc
Part-time Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Falmer, East Sussex6 September 2018
I think post-doc work is somewhat department dependent rather than university/employer dependent. Of the university itself, I will say that HR are somewhat lackadaisical when it comes to doing work themselves: your main interactions and main headaches will occur when starting/finishing a position. Other than that, how the university functions is somewhat separate from your day-to-day work. It's a campus university but has lots of decent cafes spotted about and good outdoor space. Easy train/bus journey into Brighton, Lewes and beyond.
Pros
Research is fun
Cons
Timezones don't exist in international collaborations
Fast paced
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Brighton28 August 2018
Fast paced and fun with many opportunities to train. Progression is encouraged and new challenges available. Good at looking after staff. Great workplace culture.
Pros
Staff socials, Staff food.
Cons
Long hours occasionally.
Fun
Drama Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Brighton23 August 2018
Friendly staff, good pay and flexible hours, perfect for those only looking for casual or temporary jobs. Location a bit outside of cebtral Brighton but easily accesible by train or bus.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Only casual jobs when not full-time
Lovely workplace
Porter and Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Falmer18 August 2018
When I got to Brighton, initially I had the intention of working anywhere. Luckily I found the job of porter at the student's residence of the University of Sussex. There I met great people, having a wonderful experience. I felt I get social and personal skills at the same time I helped students and workmates. A very satisfactory experience.
Pros
The students and my workmate
Cons
The timesheet
Great international experience. wonderful colleagues
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  UK26 July 2018
SPRU has been an internationally acclaimed policy research institute for over 4 decades. Great international experience. Wonderful colleagues. Interesting projects. Funding can be a challenge at certain instances.
hard working and challenging
Academic Promotions and Professorial Appointment (Former Employee) –  Sussex25 July 2018
no two days are the same. Meeting students and academics from all over the world and helping them integrate into the Sussex way of life. Checking new employees have the right to work in the UK and all other documentation to carry on or start life inn the UK.
fun workplace
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Sussex20 July 2018
Giving applicants a campus tour and introducing our university;
A good way to improve communication skills, etc;
Always get to know new people and make myself know better about the university I am staying.
Good perks
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Falmer, East Sussex30 June 2018
opening and closing of the building,
cash handling on reception
writing health and safety reports
designing fitness programs
plans and teaching exercise classes
planning holiday covert all staff
writing invoices and standing orders for all bookings
writing appraisals
Pros
good holidays
Cons
working weekends
Rewarding workplace where learning is key
Student Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Sussex14 May 2018
I worked here whilst studying for a Journalism degree at the same University. It enabled me to learn even more about the equipment I was using in my course, as well as to meet more students and earn some money whilst studying.
Pros
Flexible hours, relaxed
Cons
Not always kept busy
Student
Student (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex26 April 2018
I loved it here. Great faculty support, good research opportunities to be involved in. Research experience challenged me in this setting and set me up well for future research placements.