UNIVERSITY OF SURREY

UNIVERSITY OF SURREY Employee Reviews

United Kingdom71 reviews
Collaborative and engaging
The University of Surrey was a supportive, collaborative and engaging place to work. There was a real sense of team spirit which I found very motivating on a day to day basis. I appreciated the focus and encouragement around further learning and CPD which I found very valuable whenever I wanted to upskill myself.
Challenging and rewarding
Excellent location and site.
Enjoyable experience.

Good teamwork.

Prompt payment.

Excellent equipment and pitches.

Enjoyed seeing players improve and enjoying their sport.
Nice experience
I had nice time in University of Surrey, because the working environment and the people I worked were very nice.
My research work was very challenging.
Same days work
Work was always the same, cutting grass, watering plants and line painting. Good team of guys with some good knowledge and experience. Salary could be more
good work life balance
you get a good work life balance generally working mon to fri. the work was easy and the university offers good job security.management of the university is questionable
Stimulating work environment
Working at the University of Surrey as an Associate Tutor was a fantastic experience and a great opportunity.
The staff at the administration office was very helpful, the facilities absolutely outstanding and the coordinator of the course I was teaching could not be nicer.

Is was really stimulating to work in a team of very well prepared and experienced language tutors. I learnt a lot during my period at the University of Surrey and keep very fond memories of my colleagues and my students.
Fun workplace
My job here helped me to talk to so many people. I had a chance to listen to guests' opinions about my course and university. I really loved my teammates and became friends with them, which really made my job even more fun.
Great place to work with many supportive academics around
An organised and well run department that looks after employees in the short and long term. Free coffee and lots of extra curricular activities to get involved with.
Productive and Fun Workplace
A typical start of a shift involved setting up the equipment, getting a talk about our objectives from our supervisor. Once we were all set up, we spoke and negotiated with alumni of our University while learning from their experiences. These interactions helped me have a better understanding on how to make the most of my time at university as well as how to find jobs the most efficient way possible after graduation.

The workplace was a very fast-paced environment but was carefully managed under the careful supervision of a team of supervisors which made the workers share a spirit of determination to seek achievements and surpass our previous performances. As such, the workplace was the best part of the job.

The hardest part of the job was sometimes having to interact with very difficult people who had clearly no interest in contributing the funds we were raising money for.
Pros
Free Snacks, easygoing and supportive environment and strong team spirit
Cons
Occasional difficult alumni
Toxic
Chaotic, unstructured, anarchy. Sycophantic colleagues managed by egotistical programme manager. All leads to busy fools who waste money hand over fist to deliver poor quality results.
Pros
A salary cheque
Cons
All of above
Productive and fun workplace
Have outstanding equipment to support our work. The professors are very happy to help solving our problem and encouraging us to be innovative. Wonderful experience!
Quite a good time in this position
The working environment is quite good. The management is effective. If you are interested in research in machine learning and AI related techniques. It will be quite fitted to work there.
Giving tours of the University, calling potential students to come to the university for an open day. I have learnt a lot about customer service and how to deal with people who want to know specific things about the university. The management is very caring towards the students that work for them. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to show people the university and all the things I like about it.
Pros
Cons
short hours
Overall a good employer
Very considerate employer with a good work, life balance but development & progression is not a key strategy. Some very good colleagues & people who genuinely take pride in their roles & care about our students.
I enjoyed it
I worked here as a work experience in the biology department and everyone was very friendly and helpful. I feel that everyone was welcoming and helped with my development
Great
Lovely people, great teams and departments, busy is good, everyday a different day! Holiday good and flexible. Great for more opportunities and training.
good uni but lacks diversity
The university is located in Guildford and it has wonderful views and scenery however I feel like it lacks true cultural and racial diversity which could take away the world class status it claims to have
Studying here was very fulfilling
The Univeristy of Surrey's Infrastructure Engineering and Management course was quite innovative and well administered. This course was perfectly tailored for Engineers seeking to advance their career, while still being responsible for technical decisions and matters but at a management level.
University
Very good academic University with a diverse culture. Highly recommend the staff and facilities are excellent. Very happy memories at a gorgeous University campus.
Very flexible and yet not fully productive
No proper motivation for employers as hard work is not paid off. Your efforts at work are making a huge change to the out come of the department, but this is not sensitive to individual employers.
Pros
Flex work time
Cons
Insufficient salary
Depends on the team you work with
This can be from a horrible to an amazing place to work. Really depends on the team. What is needed is more support to the employees. They need to know that if something is wrong, they can report it.
Pros
Surrey sports park