University of Strathclyde

University of Strathclyde Employee Reviews

United Kingdom70 reviews
Great employers for students
As a Student Ambassador, the hours are flexible around you and it's only when required. The only thing is that it's not a steady income so if you're looking for a reliable income I wouldn't recommend being a Student Ambassador. However, if it's just for a little bit of extra cash here and there, then I would say that's perfect!
not for those who wish to advance
ok but dont expect miracles, very limited advancement options, management use the department as their own personal police force and enjoy having the staff below them at loggerheads
Great work experience for students
Telethon calling provided a lot of really interesting information into options available after graduating from Strathclyde. Speaking to alumni helped greatly in discovering options and greatly helped improve my interpersonal skills
Not for me
This place is just not. good luck to who ever is applying to a job there.
I just don't want to say more than that.

peace and thank you very much .
Stepping stone to other opportune academic positions.
I thought one second year module, assessed the performance of the cohort and submitted marks to the relevant Department. I was writing up my PhD thesis at the moment and needed financial support to meet the basic needs of my family. My student allowance has depleted and I had to take any role that can support basic subsistence needs to my family. I was very thankful to the University for availing the amount to help me through the PhD Process.
Great lecturers & productives
The course "Civil & Environmental Engineering" was very interesting and increased my desire to learn about the essential structural component to infastruture. This was done through the well qualified lecturers who were well versed in the subjects and were able to deliver these lectuers a fun and productive way
good place to work
I worked here for 2 years on a fixed term contract as a maintenance joiner good work colleagues ,staff and management always willing to help if required great facilities good place to work .
Challenging, Busy with a good dose of humour required
Working at Strathclyde can never be described by a typical day. No day is the same. As processes are complex it can be challenging to meet deadlines. However with the help of all colleagues (academic and administrative) we get the job done. The most enjoyable part is when you see the fruits of your labour ... the students succeeding!
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at University of Strathclyde?
Excellent university
I have been an exchange master student in Strathclyde and find the education and people here is very nice. I thus decide to continue my PhD study in Strathclyde.
rewarding if management cares to stay engaged!
a very busy and demanding workplace at times, although rewarding and you can leave at 5pm feeling accomplished. Management are full of empty promises for advancement, and have problems with favouritism. Difficult to rise through the payscales unless you have lots of friends in the right places. Holiday allowance is ok, not the best or worst. atmosphere can be either warm and friendly or cold and awkward depending on which department you work for.
Pros
rewarding, ok holliday
Cons
favouritism, stressful at times, bad atmosphere, lack of advancement
Fun Workplace, Great Support
I loved working for my university and I would recommend my position in particular to any new students.
They are very respectful about your university work and under stand that comes first.
Fun work environment
I love project search, i would totally recommend The employability Programme to people who may have a kid with additional needs kids, totally fun and Staff are friendly.
Pros
Variety of placements
Cons
long hours - if your willing to get a job
Positive
Robotics, Systems and Control Teaching Assistant at University of Strathclyde October 2015 - December 2017(2 years 3 month)
Responsibilities include managing more than 200 students and introducing them to:

• Concepts of robotic systems, as well as helping to visualise and analyse how kinematics work in the real world.

• Examine various types of sensors and path planning methods.

• Various types of control systems and exercises to control advanced systems.

PhD Researcher at University of Strathclyde October 2013 - October 2017(4 years)

The PhD requires Research Management, Personal Effectiveness, Networking, and Teamworking Skills. Objectives of the project are:

• Automatic segmentation of human heart left ventricle after heart attack from Magnetic Resonance Images (MRI).

• Detection and quantification of viable tissues from segmented MRI.

• 3D visualisation of human heart viable tissues by using long and short axis of Magnetic Resonance Images.

Instrumentation and microcontrollers Teaching Assistant at Strathclyde October 2013 - October 2015 (2 years)

Position requires competence in physics, electrical circuits, mechanical principles, and programming in C. Responsibilities include:

• Introducing students to microcontroller programming and interfacing.

• Demonstrating engineering design as applied to instrumentation systems and control engineering.

Digital Signal Processing Teaching Assistant at University of Strathclyde October 2013 - October 2015 (2 years)

Responsibilities included:

Tutoring and support of MSc and Final Year Undergraduate students
 - more...
productive and fun workplace
This job allows the opportunity to socialise with a lot of people, it is not the hardest of jobs but requires you to be on call from 5pm - 5am. the management is really helpful and understanding.
Enjoyable place to work
Days are nice and busy with work being offered help with. Learnt finer points of using instruments I had already used. The management was good, always there to provide support. The culture was good overall as the pHds who supported me were a great help. The hardest part was learning things different about the work. The most enjoyable part was using the equipment and seeing the results.
Good voluntary experience
A good friendly environment to work in and a good opportunity for those looking for some voluntary work in the analytical sciences field.I enjoyed working here voluntarily but if paid would have continued within the company seeking promotion.
Graduate Student
A great place to learn and meet people. A very open environment that helped me learn new skills and develop. A great set of professors and lecturers that covered a lot of topics
Fun and save workplace
Normally first thing would be to get organised at my desk. I learned more about coding and data analysing. I was able to freely manage my time for lunch wisely to keep production up to standards. The other employees were all very welcoming and always gave me advice when finding myself in a loop with the coding. The hardest part about the job was honestly just traveling it was about an hours travel early in the morning. However, the most enjoyable part about the job was the open and relaxing working culture.
Pros
Comforting wokring areas
Cons
It was good, until management changed
I started an apprenticeship with the university, it was down as a 2 year apprenticeship. I didn’t get my apprenticeship papers until a couple of years later. The apprenticeship procedure was terrible and I was forgotten about for a few years. I went on to being a full time member of staff and they didn’t know. There was little communication from them.

The staff members were welcoming and very friendly, the work load was good. Then management changed. Everyone became stressed and it wasn’t dealt with very well. The manager themselves didn’t treat staff very well either. Sometimes aggressive, other times very passive.

I felt that my time in the university was up and the place was becoming a burden on my mental health. I enjoyed my years there, but by the end I was happy to get out.
Pros
Great working environment, good hours, good work load
Cons
Bad management change, terrible understanding of stress
Research environment
the department on Naval architecture, ocean and marine engineering is ranked 1st in the UK, and 8th in the world according to ShanghaiUniversity ranking, in the year 2018.
Ricerca multi-integrata
Buon ambiente lavorativo. Il mio gruppo di ricerca è molto supportivo e collaborativo. Interagiamo con diversi profili professionali, quali ingegneri biomeccanici e biomedici, terapisti della sanità nazionale del Regno Unito e liberi professionisti.
Collaborazione con aziende private sono incentivate per creare un ponte di collegamento tra aziende e ricerca universitaria, come anche pratica clinica ed università.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Strathclyde. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3