UNIVERSITY OF STRATHCLYDE Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  University of Strathclyde8 January 2018
I worked in the catering and hospitality sector, met lots of great people, fun place to work and great experience. Working functions and weddings enables you to meet people from all over the world.
Pros
Staff and Experience
Great organisation
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Strathclyde22 November 2017
Busy days, learned new skills everyday, great experience working in the public sector. Public sector put the staff first in all decision making which I found refreshing.
Pros
Great people
Cons
n/a
Excellent University
Masters student (Former Employee) –  Student11 October 2017
Great university, strong on business and enterprise. Inspirational marketing tutors. Rated excellent in the UK for research. Achieved a Masters Degree in Marketing.
Productive, Varied and Settling.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow6 July 2017
I was attending a course that would enable me to become more employable or otherwise gain employment; I would say that working for this university would be a privilege as it is fair, easy to settle into and worth investing in.
Pros
Room for development and progression
Assistant of Researcher
Assistant Researcher (Former Employee) –  Glasgow20 June 2017
I had a role on SEAHORSE Project which is related to the Maritime Safety and Human Factors.
Prepared a workcases and improving of the tool. Review all papers which are coming true questionaries.
Fun place to learn and work
Residence Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, UK9 June 2017
Its a great University located in the friendliest city in United Kingdom. My superiors were friendly and gave me space to do my work my way to give the best results.
Technology focused university
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Glasgow1 June 2017
This university is very technology focused and a great place to work for science and engineering. I found that my ideas and enthusiasm were supported, and the facilities were excellent.
Studied there. Is good
Student (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow14 May 2017
Still studying there currently. Its going well. easy to get to and get around the campus. Would 100% recommend studying there. Some lectures can be boring however most are entertaining and informative
University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow12 May 2017
Great place to work, the staff are all very positive and friendly and the job is good fun. For any student I highly recommend trying to get this job and running campus tours etc it's ideal to work around classes.
Challenging research and supportive colleagues
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow9 May 2017
I have now spent many years at Strathclyde University and as a whole it is a great organisation to work for. No day is the same, which was one of the reasons for doing research. Would recommend people to work at this organisation.
Pros
Flexible hours, good work/life balance
Cons
Fixed term contracts, no job security
Productive and Good experience as students
Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, UK10 April 2017
The main work of GTA is to mark the assessments of undergraduate psychology students. Other things that we can sign up is for invigilation or helping the professors during the tutorials. I have learned how to mark various assignments such as essay writing or report writing and the marking criteria followed at the university. The time is managed well as we get the schedule of marking way ahead of time before we are assigned the work. We are given two weeks to mark the assignments, which are then cross checked by the class leader. The hardest part of the job sometimes is deciding on what mark to give. We have to be critical about the mark and the comments that we give to the students intending to help them in their future assignments.
Interesting
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, UK8 April 2017
Strathclyde is a great university to study!

Working as a graduate teaching assistant (GTA) helps postgraduate students to work on their skill sets in terms of academic writing and understanding the process of marking and teaching.
Student Ambassador
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow26 March 2017
As a student ambassador I've been able to work flexibly and comfortably around my degree. I frequently help out with university events on campus, presentations, campus tours and various other tasks.
Pros
flexibility, friendly environment
Good work place and very busy
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow8 December 2016
Loved working there but unfortunately wask temporary would love to work for them again if the opportunity arises with in the university
Variety of tasks and interaction with students/staff
Mechanical Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Glasgow19 October 2016
Daily tasks would be manufacturing of student projects and in doing this I have become very competent on the various pieces of workshop equipment. I worked with a good team and we would constantly overcome any manufacturing problems together. The management tended to let you use your own initiative, with only the minimum of guidance. The hardest part of the job is trying to decipher the student drawings (for projects) but with a bit of interaction it becomes clearer. The most enjoyable part is when I complete a project to the students' satisfaction.
Pros
Variety of tasks
Cons
Shortage of staff
Great!
Mathematics, Statistics & Economics Graduate (Former Employee) –  Glasgow18 October 2016
Had a very enjoyable 4 year experience at this university. The lecturers were very approachable and the timetable was very flexible for myself - lots of freedom of choice for which electives to choose.
Unique experience.
Project SEARCH Intern (Current Employee) –  Strathclyde, SCT2 February 2016
It is a course aimed at helping persons on the autism spectrum gain full-time employment. This was done by having 3 separate 10 week "rotations" which took part in a real life work environment whilst also having supervision by an appointed "buddy".

There are also some opportunities given by the Project Search staff (one job coach and one instructor) to improve on your interview techniques by having regular mock interviews.

The most enjoyable aspect of the course is having various job rotations to give differing perspectives as to what job I may like in the future.

For me personally, the hardest aspect WAS the social aspects, however, as the course has progressed, I have been informed regularly that I have markedly improved and continue to do so.
Pros
Gain experiences in differing work environments.
Cons
Half an hour lunches.
Buena universidad con buen ambiente de trabajo
PhD research student (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, SCT4 July 2015
He realizado mi doctorado en esta universidad y mi experiencia ha sido positiva en todos los sentidos.
He encontrado un gran ambiente de trabajo y jefes exigentes pero a la vez amables y dispuestos a ayudar.
Great workplace
DHLE Telephone Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, SCT16 June 2015
The University of Strathclyde was a fantastic workplace. The environment was friendly, relaxed and an enjoyable place to be. My co-workers were extremely friendly and helpful.
Pros
Relaxed Atmosphere
Cons
Travelling there
Fun, dynamic atmosphere with high quality students
University Tutor (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, SCT19 May 2015
As a tutor to first year students in the department of chemistry at the University of Strathclyde my responsibilities included; providing the new students with a tour of the faculty, detailing which equipment to buy for the teaching laboratory, and promptly responding to general enquires from the students.

I gained valuable experience in communicating with the younger generation, determining what they required from their tutor and providing the best service possible to meet their expectations.

I was working independently from the faculty and fellow tutors therefore I managed myself, taking care to ensure I was fulfilling the expectations of both the students and the academics that offered me this opportunity.

The hardest part of the job would be determining what the student wants. Some students wanted me to reach out to them, others wanted to be left alone unless they were falling behind in their lessons. Finding the balance was the hardest aspect of the job.

The best part of the job was knowing my efforts were not in vain, by enriching the lives of the latest generation of Glasgow students.
Pros
Laid back atmosphere, pleasure to work with, students are very appreciative
Cons
Always on the clock