UNIVERSITY OF STRATHCLYDE Employee Reviews

Fun work environment.
Telethon caller (Former Employee) –  Strathclyde4 April 2018
Enjoyed my time working here. I was glad to be apart of this campaign. We were constantly told updates about how much we had raised each day and continued to strive for more
Pros
Motivation incentives
Cons
Long shifts at weekends
A fun place to learn while working
Laboratory assistant (summer placement) (Former Employee) –  Strathclyde28 February 2018
Days were spent creating experiments for school students. A relaxed laboratory with plenty of freedom to get on with the task at hand. After obtaining results, these could be processed in a friendly office with a lot of other like-minded people.

I enhanced my chemistry knowledge by working alongside doctors and professors in their respective fields. A perfect foil to develop my understanding of the science.

The hardest part of the job was the long waits to obtain results for some experiments but this allowed for a lot of paperwork and reports to be undertaken.

The most enjoyable part was being immersed in a culture with other researchers focused on similar goals.
Pros
like-minded people, fun work environment, varied tasks
Cons
a lot of report writing
Productive and fun place
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Strathclyde15 January 2018
Work involves spending the day primarily within the laboratory, carrying out experiments to determine answers to questions arising within the cardiovascular disease area,
Great Place to Work
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  University of Strathclyde8 January 2018
I worked in the catering and hospitality sector, met lots of great people, fun place to work and great experience. Working functions and weddings enables you to meet people from all over the world.
Pros
Staff and Experience
Great organisation
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Strathclyde22 November 2017
Busy days, learned new skills everyday, great experience working in the public sector. Public sector put the staff first in all decision making which I found refreshing.
Pros
Great people
Cons
n/a
Excellent University
Masters student (Former Employee) –  Student11 October 2017
Great university, strong on business and enterprise. Inspirational marketing tutors. Rated excellent in the UK for research. Achieved a Masters Degree in Marketing.
Productive, Varied and Settling.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow6 July 2017
I was attending a course that would enable me to become more employable or otherwise gain employment; I would say that working for this university would be a privilege as it is fair, easy to settle into and worth investing in.
Pros
Room for development and progression
Assistant of Researcher
Assistant Researcher (Former Employee) –  Glasgow20 June 2017
I had a role on SEAHORSE Project which is related to the Maritime Safety and Human Factors.
Prepared a workcases and improving of the tool. Review all papers which are coming true questionaries.
Fun place to learn and work
Residence Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, UK9 June 2017
Its a great University located in the friendliest city in United Kingdom. My superiors were friendly and gave me space to do my work my way to give the best results.
Technology focused university
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Glasgow1 June 2017
This university is very technology focused and a great place to work for science and engineering. I found that my ideas and enthusiasm were supported, and the facilities were excellent.

Want to know more about UNIVERSITY OF STRATHCLYDE?

Ask a question
Studied there. Is good
Student (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow14 May 2017
Still studying there currently. Its going well. easy to get to and get around the campus. Would 100% recommend studying there. Some lectures can be boring however most are entertaining and informative
University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow12 May 2017
Great place to work, the staff are all very positive and friendly and the job is good fun. For any student I highly recommend trying to get this job and running campus tours etc it's ideal to work around classes.
Challenging research and supportive colleagues
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow9 May 2017
I have now spent many years at Strathclyde University and as a whole it is a great organisation to work for. No day is the same, which was one of the reasons for doing research. Would recommend people to work at this organisation.
Pros
Flexible hours, good work/life balance
Cons
Fixed term contracts, no job security
Productive and Good experience as students
Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, UK10 April 2017
The main work of GTA is to mark the assessments of undergraduate psychology students. Other things that we can sign up is for invigilation or helping the professors during the tutorials. I have learned how to mark various assignments such as essay writing or report writing and the marking criteria followed at the university. The time is managed well as we get the schedule of marking way ahead of time before we are assigned the work. We are given two weeks to mark the assignments, which are then cross checked by the class leader. The hardest part of the job sometimes is deciding on what mark to give. We have to be critical about the mark and the comments that we give to the students intending to help them in their future assignments.
Interesting
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, UK8 April 2017
Strathclyde is a great university to study!

Working as a graduate teaching assistant (GTA) helps postgraduate students to work on their skill sets in terms of academic writing and understanding the process of marking and teaching.
Student Ambassador
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow26 March 2017
As a student ambassador I've been able to work flexibly and comfortably around my degree. I frequently help out with university events on campus, presentations, campus tours and various other tasks.
Pros
flexibility, friendly environment
Good work place and very busy
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow8 December 2016
Loved working there but unfortunately wask temporary would love to work for them again if the opportunity arises with in the university
Variety of tasks and interaction with students/staff
Mechanical Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Glasgow19 October 2016
Daily tasks would be manufacturing of student projects and in doing this I have become very competent on the various pieces of workshop equipment. I worked with a good team and we would constantly overcome any manufacturing problems together. The management tended to let you use your own initiative, with only the minimum of guidance. The hardest part of the job is trying to decipher the student drawings (for projects) but with a bit of interaction it becomes clearer. The most enjoyable part is when I complete a project to the students' satisfaction.
Pros
Variety of tasks
Cons
Shortage of staff
Great!
Mathematics, Statistics & Economics Graduate (Former Employee) –  Glasgow18 October 2016
Had a very enjoyable 4 year experience at this university. The lecturers were very approachable and the timetable was very flexible for myself - lots of freedom of choice for which electives to choose.
Unique experience.
Project SEARCH Intern (Current Employee) –  Strathclyde, SCT2 February 2016
It is a course aimed at helping persons on the autism spectrum gain full-time employment. This was done by having 3 separate 10 week "rotations" which took part in a real life work environment whilst also having supervision by an appointed "buddy".

There are also some opportunities given by the Project Search staff (one job coach and one instructor) to improve on your interview techniques by having regular mock interviews.

The most enjoyable aspect of the course is having various job rotations to give differing perspectives as to what job I may like in the future.

For me personally, the hardest aspect WAS the social aspects, however, as the course has progressed, I have been informed regularly that I have markedly improved and continue to do so.
Pros
Gain experiences in differing work environments.
Cons
Half an hour lunches.