University of Stirling Employee Reviews

Great employers to students
Telephone Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Stirling8 October 2018
I worked here while I was a student and they were very flexible, completely tailored the employment experience to student life (which I guess is expected from a University).
Good
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Stirling2 February 2018
Good management and growth potential.Strong working culture. Able to take on a lot of responsbility. Supportive staff. A heavy workload. But good if you want to take on board additional work in other departments. Opportunities to get promoted.
Productive and engaging.
Student (Current Employee) –  Stirling, SCT28 May 2014
I have deeply enjoyed my time here, particularly the professional and friendly environment that allows for good relations between staff and student. I have gained invaluable logistical and communication skills that can be applied in any work environment. Assuming a role of leader is necessary at times, yet I find it equally important to break down hierarchical chains in order to promote equality and to break down barriers in the workplace. The hardest part of the job is perhaps to create a healthy balance between work and life but I am more than able to keep this balance as I believe that a mix of both promotes productivity. The most enjoyable part of this job is being able to socialise with people of different cultures and ideas, as this allows me to continually learn and grow as a person.
Pros
Sociable, stimulating and new experiences.
Cons
Expensive books and long hours.
Going Downhill
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stirling, SCT12 January 2016
Management changed a few years ago and it has been all downhill since. No longer an academic learning institiution environment, but rather a stiff, money focused corporate approach now. Restructuring has involved having to re-apply for your own jobs, often at lower pay, while increasing the workload and decreasing flexibility and benefits. And this is only the beginning of the changes..
Pros
beautiful campus
Going dowhill fast
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stirling23 April 2016
Great environment to work in, lovely campus have met a FEW nice people there. Most Staff are not friendly, have had both Academic, HOD walk by in the halls without so much as a glance of recognition. Colleagues work in a fish bowl, no interaction unless you're in their clique. NO formal training despite saying they provided training during initial interview, you're pretty much given instruction and left to fend for yourself. Asking for help is looked at as incompetency. Speaking with employees who've been with the University for a number of years, the institute is more of a money making business, than a learning institution.

Despite being warm and friendly to students, employees talk about them behind their backs and almost seem annoyed at assisting students, especially foreign students.
Pros
excellent work hours and salary
Cons
Horrible work environment
Good experience gained in dealing with large student population
Concierge (Former Employee) –  Stirling, SCT3 November 2014
All in all a good job but laterly management changed working practices which caused a lot of friction with staff.
Enjoyed the day to day work and working relationship with students.
A typical day included a walkround the property and looking for any issues that could have a detrimental effect on residents and staff.
Notifed students by email of deliveries sent to them, key issue and receipts, minor repairs, dealing with faults and reporting as necessary.- documentation relating to equipment checks, fire alarms, discipline etc.
Worked with line managers in matters related to Residences.
Worked with co workers as a central team.
Hardest part of job was trying to ask students to enforce the need in maintaining a good level of housekeeping.
Best part was the rapport with students, University support staff and a good shift rota and working conditions
Pros
Good conditions
Cons
12 hour shifts at weekends
Was a great place to work
Sports Instructor (Former Employee) –  Sport5 June 2017
Unfortunately what was a great place to work providing an exceptional student experience has become an environment of cuts and senior management looking after themselves.
Pros
Great students who want to learn
Cons
Senior management putting themselves first
was a great place to do my bursary project, despite the short duration. I learned how to use new software and how to work independently
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stirling, SCT18 March 2015
Good supervisors who taught me a great deal. There was opportunity for me to learn to use Nvivo, a qualitative data software which I may not have come across otherwise. The hardest part of the job was ensuring that data was kept confidential and in locked storage- sensitive information about prisoners was contained so it was a big responsibility. The most enjoyable part of the job was realising the positive impact the program had for prisoners through listening to their interviews. I also enjoyed transcribing- it was therapeutic.
Significant experience of systems
Systems Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Stirling19 April 2013
I currently work in the Research and Enterprise Office in the University of Stirling and I have gained significant experience in using 2 finance systems, an HR system and the University's Research Management System.
Excellent learning environment
Student Nurse (Current Employee) –  Stirling, SCT21 June 2014
I have really enjoyed my training, I have had excellent mentors and have gained experience in a variety of settings.
Pros
Good training
Cons
It has been fun working in a multi-cultural environment
Student Representativie (Current Employee) –  Stirling, SCT8 September 2014
At the the ECREA, at typical day starts with checking the organisation's emails. I then sort them out in order of priority and them respond to them accordingly. Sometimes, the emails are my job schedules for the week or month. When this is the case, I start to work on the immediately.
Pros
working in a multi-cultural team
Cons
No known cons
Productive and very enjoyable workplace
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stirling, SCT28 June 2015
On a typical day at the Sports Centre I would do the following:

Set up Badminton / Table Tennis.
Restock vending machines
Take payment and reception
Cash handling and cashing up
Assisting in Pool area
Pros
Free classes and also free to play Badminton, swimming
Ok
Class Representative (Current Employee) –  Stirling14 April 2016
I don't know why this is here, being a Class Rep is not a job, as you don't get paid.
You are the link between students and teaching staff, so the main task is to collect feedback from students and report it to lecturers. This is not a hard thing to do, but it depends on modules, lecturers and students
An interesting institution
Head of Web and Digital Media (Former Employee) –  Stirling7 September 2016
I worked at the University for over 13 years. I decided to leave to pursue new challenges in November 2015.

During my tine there I was Web Author and laterally was Head of Web and Digital Media.
Cleaner
Housekeeping Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stirling, Stirlingshire7 March 2017
i loved this job, you got along with everyone. Working at the university was great. this job was only for 6 months as it was only a summer keeping job.
Student demonstrator
Demonstrator (Former Employee) –  Stirling, SCT4 July 2014
I only worked as a student demonstrator a few days for each semester, while studying. I did however enjoy the experience and believe it provided me with a further set of skills in teaching.