University of St Andrews Employee Reviews

Fast-pace, productive environment. All employees are treated with respect and are expected highly of their contribution.
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  University of St Andrews17 April 2018
I thoroughly enjoy working with the institution and as a student feel this role gives the best experience available within the University for working with the public.
Productive and fun workplace
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  St. Andrews26 May 2016
- great and friendly environment
- high salary
- co-workers are some of the best people I've met
- great and rewarding job
Reasonable place to work
Senior Technician (Current Employee) –  University of St Andrews7 November 2017
Typical day consist for dealing with Technical staff and students. I learned everything I know in the time spent a the University and developed new skills. Management could improve. Overall enjoyable place to work.
Pros
Hour lunches and holiday/sick pay
Great place to work in
E-systems manager (Current Employee) –  St. Andrews, SCT3 March 2015
A very lovely environment with lovely colleagues. I look after their library management systems and find the interactions with colleagues across the Scotland very stimulating.
Management leaves you adrift
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  St. Andrews, Fife30 May 2017
First, the surprise construction work that went on for four months. This was not communicated to anyone working in the building, and the first we heard of it was the jackhammering. My attempts to get information on when the work would be done, and complain about the noise level, were met with 'you know what builders are like'. I had to contact HR, after three weeks the head of department got involved and it was only because he visited on a day that works were being done that he allowed us to move offices for a three month period. This was after the builders put the lights out in our office by cutting live electrical wiring.

Second, my immediate supervisor would travel for work for extended periods without notifying... anyone, not even his PA. Visiting scholars were a regular feature, which was great, but we were usually not told that they would be coming until they were standing in the office. My supervisor would then appear and tell whoever he expected to look after them that they would be looking after the visitor. On at least three occasions, projects that I had developed and was working on were given to other researchers without my supervisor telling me until either the other researchers were present, or I heard it second hand from the other researchers, or I was told that I can't publish this work because it will be going into someone else's paper. I had to stop listing my PI as corresponding author because he couldn't be relied on to forward on any corrections.

The support staff are and we're fabulous! The electricity was unreliable during thunderstorms, and would
  more... cause a surge when it came back on. Several instruments were seriously damaged by this.

There is no housing support of any kind for staff or visitors, and almost no accommodation in St Andrews itself if you arrive at any time that is not the summer holidays. Make sure that you have looked at individual real estate agent websites before you arrive.

The town is beautiful. The library is well stocked with a 1 year loan period. Safety is taken very seriously. Holiday, sick and maternity leave is generous. The professional development program is wonderful. Women are underrepresented.
Pros
The professional development program was magnificent
Cons
Surprise construction work