University of Southampton Work-Life Balance reviews

Good
Faculty Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Southampton29 October 2018
Excellent place to work, good benefits with additional holiday at Christmas and Easter. Very good training opportunities if you wish to choose to do them.
Some good and bad points
Programme Manager (Former Employee) –  Business School4 May 2018
AS you'd expect of public sector, a lot of bureaucracy and procedures and took ages to get decisions made. But good work-life balance and nice work colleagues.
Perfect place to earn a PhD
PhD Student (Former Employee) –  Southampton22 February 2018
The support available to PhD students across the University can vary quite dramatically, however in the Faculty of Engineering and the Environment the staff are extremely passionate about their research and their research students. They go above and beyond to help with any and all matters. The facilities are state of the art, with some very unique test machines that allow for research opportunities not possible at other universities.

The work/life balance is perfect, with an expectation of time self-management from supervisors. This allows you to schedule your research to best suit you, and also develops your own management skills so that you are able to meet all deadlines and work within the department to share equipment and facilities. There are plenty of opportunities to extend beyond your research, and you are encouraged to interact with the wider university in a social and professional setting.
Pros
Excellent support from line managers, wonderful opportunities beyond your research
Cons
Not unique to Southampton, but underfunding of PhDs in the UK as a whole is an issue
Flexible working
Finance Assistant (Current Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire28 December 2017
Overall a great organisation to work for. They look after their employees with regards to Health and Safety, career advancement and use of flexi time.
Pros
Flexible working
fun working place
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire31 October 2017
I used to start at 9 and finish at 6 which is one of the best shifts i have ever had. I really enjoyed working there , just the payment was not enough.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
really busy on lunch time
Flexible
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire27 August 2017
As a student worked hours are flexible and well paid. open days are on weekdays and weekends, you can choose which you do and which times, e.g. morning, afternoon or all day
Pros
free lunch!
Cons
If you don't work for 6 months you have to reregister all forms and ID
Interesting work
TImetable Manager (Former Employee) –  Southampton12 May 2017
I enjoyed the work and working with my assistant. I learned their software and the way Nursing and Midwifery degree work.
This school worked with the NHS and was very political and their policy was "when you are a manager, you are expected to be in meetings all day and work all night" which is not a good culture.

As their degree ran differently from the rest of the university, we had to lie and cheat to get the best lecture theatres first which caused bad feeling amongst other faculty Timetablers.

The part I enjoyed most was creating the timetables and solving problems with clashes.
Pros
Using my problem solving skills
Cons
Long hours and culture
workplace
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Southampton26 April 2017
Good place to work a good mix of people and various interesting projects being undertaken. Location was very nice, the shift work was long but the benefits were good
good place to work
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Southampton22 October 2016
good place and lots of friendly people to work with. can be a very challenging environment to work in but it has some great rewards
Pros
nice people to work withh
Project Support officer - Part time job via University Tempbank
Project Support Officer - Push the Pace Project (Former Employee) –  Southampton, ENG26 October 2015
Lovely place to work, very nice people.
As I am a part-time temp I have had to score work/life balance as good and job security as low, but that is based on those facts only, and no reflection on the organisation.
Pros
flexible with hours
Cons
only a temp job!
pro.
I assist students (Former Employee) –  southampton7 September 2015
In my current role I work with different forms of machinery: Band saw, Pole Drill, Drills, Dremel and a variety of hand tools. I assist students to decide which tool is suitable for different types of material. When a student does not know how to use a particular tool, I teach them how to use the tool safely. In my current job, there are a 3D printer and a laser cutter. I have trained students in the use of these machines by demonstrating to them and then watching while they practise. I am available for any additional advice. I have also trained a couple of Civil Engineering staff in both of these machines.
Fun workplace
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Southampton, ENG9 October 2013
As I work in Open Day which lasts for two days. Each day, I worked from 8am to 4pm. During two days, I am responsible for guiding tours from the university to halls of residence to introduce the life in halls to new students and their parents (who want to know about the University of Southampton). I have learnt a lot during two days at work. I can practice my presentation skills in front of parents and students and my communication skills. My co-workers are students as well, so they are young and very friendly. The hardest part of the job might be that I did not have experience to guide a tour before, so I was a little nervous at the begining of the tour. After the second and third tour, I can manage it and can finish it with satisfaction. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I can meet many people and talk to them. It reminds me the time that I prepared for my undergraduate program.
Pros
free lunch, chance of making friends with new people
Exciting and challenging place to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton28 June 2012
During my time as a research assistant at the University, no 2 days were the same. There would be the standard tasks of replying to emails and telephone calls etc but the core daily activities would vary between, desk research, field research (surveys etc), researching for papers, seeing students, writing journal articles and project reports in addition to attending meetings and conferences. I learnt an awful lot about the subject area through the research but also through attending some interesting conferences. For the majority of the projects that I worked on I was the principal researcher so, as a result I learnt how to work effectively in order to meet strict deadlines. This frequently meant I had to work a lot at home and well into the early hours. Unfortunately with a young family this became quite challenging at times. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning about such a fascinating industry, and the sense of satisfaction on completing a project, report or a journal article.
Pros
interesting work that i could really get my teeth into
Cons
sometimes long hours working at home