University of Southampton

University of Southampton Employee Reviews

United Kingdom112 reviews
Good
I was good however fat pasted hard at first but gets easier. Meet loads of good people. Bosses are nice good environment clean. Surounded buy lovely ponds
Poor culture and management.
Good hours and holiday etc. but management were totally aloof, imposed additional work with no consultation. Corners were regularly cut on safety issues and any objections were ridiculed.
Productive and engaging place to work
As a research assistant I got to work with people from different cultural backgrounds. I got to learn from them and enhance skills of my own, specifically organisation and time management skills. I was tasked with the responsibility of overseeing a university project. My main job was to organised the collecting and processing data for a collaborative academic write-up. Overall, I enjoyed working with the team, and learning new skills.
Many opportunities for collaborative work
Excellent laboratory facilities are available on-site .
Helpful and friendly environment.

Opportunities to network and progress.

Good university support for students.
Maternity Discrimation
A typical day would be answering emails and calls from students regarding accommodation. Liaising with the customer service team at the main campus.

I learnt a great deal about juggling a high workload and providing excellent customer service. Other employees were gambling and running their own businesses on the Universities time. Management were often negative and stuck in their ways. The culture is to employ friends or family members or past students. It can be a very clique environment.
Productive and fun workplace
It was a great place to mix around with local and international students while working. My job was to assist the university’s marketing team in promoting the culture and learning experiences at the University of Southampton to the students and parents. My supervisor was superb and helpful. The most enjoyable part was sharing my student's life and experiences staying in halls with the parents and students.
Typical day - meetings with suppliers and internal customers regarding procurement

Culture is changing from relaxed enjoyable place to work with emphasis on students and education to more commercial.
fun place to work
the residence team is a very rewarding place to work and every day is very different the only down side is the fact that the pay is very low and there is no room for progression
Pros
good work mates
Cons
low pay
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at University of Southampton?
Toxic environment
Astonishing that such a place is rife with bullying, harassment and victimisation. Seriously thuggish managers who think they can behave with impunity- and do!

Be very wary of working or studying here.
Great
Working there was great and I learnt a lot, my colleagues where all very friendly and awesome people. My supervisors were great and I really enjoyed the time that I spent there
it was a fast moving place to work at
The job in the early day was great working with so many grounds manual workers in the first 20 years then when moved to other grounds the staffing reduced to 5 grounds man and one of them was a grounds advisor

If I continued to work for the university of would have served them well for 49 years and 5 moths
GOOD Organisation
I received a lots of help from my line manager and other staff, they are very professional and helpful.

I had a lovely summer, made some really good friends too.

The working environment is good.
multicultural and productive working place
worked as part-time campus ambassador here in the summer time. I Worked with the recruitment outreach team to facilitate the workshop. Gave campus tours for visiting/prospective students. I Greeted visitors and handle their enquires, direct them to the appropriate people according to their requirements
I loved working hete
I enjoyed every minute I spent working here. I'm only sorry it was a fixed term contract. Everyone was very helpful and supportive. The work was demanding but interesting.
Productive and fun work place
Conducted number of complex experiments, collecting data and analysing it to evaluate the research premise.
Successfully gathering and presenting an oral presentation with key findings of the research project to senior academic members, clearly providing comprehensive implantation strategies and potential improvements.
It was great
I had an amazing time meeting the staff and working with other people, it was a fun time, I learned a lot from the job, I would love to continue working for them.
Work place culture
Builds confidence and enables one to develop in their career from early years + Can become a busy environment and one must be able to cope under pressure.
Productive and fun
Lively and friendly work environment.
Typical day includes running errands and organizing work with students and lecturers

Workplace culture is diverse and open
Sonnet 64
When I have seen by Time's fell hand defaced
The rich proud cost of outworn buried age;

When sometime lofty towers I see down-razed,

And brass eternal slave to mortal rage;

When I have seen the hungry ocean gain

Advantage on the kingdom of the shore,

And the firm soil win of the watery main,

Increasing store with loss, and loss with store;

When I have seen such interchange of state,

Or state itself confounded to decay;

Ruin hath taught me thus to ruminate

That Time will come and take my love away.

This thought is as a death which cannot choose

But weep to have that which it fears to lose.
Fantastic role for students
Being able to work at the University that you are studying in can never be a bad idea and this point was emphasised during my time as a student ambassador. The job is very flexible so you can manage it around your studies,
Ottimo ambiente
Ottimo ambiente, ottime persone sempre disponibili.
Pros
multiculturalità
Cons
nessuno
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Southampton. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3