University of South Wales Employee Reviews

Very good place to work and study
Human Resource Advisor (internship) (Current Employee) –  Wales6 April 2019
I think that University of South Wales is one of the top quality employer in Wales and even on international level as the university is becoming more popular.
Enjoyable work environment
Technical Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Caerleon3 April 2019
Staff at the university are very well mannered, which provided me with confidence and the ability to report any faults when conducting maintenance checks.
You would get you daily duties through a website system that you would check off throughout the day to notify management the job has been successfully completed.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the other staff because they provided a relaxed and fun working environment.
The worst part of the job was cleaning the students accommodation blocks.
Easy and fun work
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Wales10 March 2019
Being a Student Ambassador and helping out prospective students was very rewarding. You simply provide your knowledge and experience of being a student to potential candidates as well as guiding them around the university's facilities and explaining the services the university provides.

The working hours were typically short and only occurred on a handful of days throughout the year, but the pay reflected this well and you are heavily compensated for you time.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Infrequent working hours
Consultancy work
Consultancy work (Former Employee) –  Wales26 October 2018
It was fun working for the university of South wales, the management were so helpful and made the job so fun. The working culture is very good. My responsibility was to carry out experimental tests on soil stabilisation using industrial by-products. On a typical day I would get the instruction on what to do. The job taught to work on my own initiative with minimal supervision
Pros
Flexible working time
Cons
Stricty finish time
Rewarding
Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Pontypridd, Rhondda Cynon Taff11 October 2018
One of the aspects of USW which instilled in me the passion I felt and still feel for the campus, was how dedicated and passionate they were about me as a student and as a person. I miss my university very much; there have been few places I have ever visited which have made me feel so important and needed as USW has.
Grate place
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Pontypridd, Rhondda Cynon Taff7 September 2018
Productive and Grate Place to Work. i was an MSc Students at USW, i have graduated in 2014 and then i have been offered to work in the USW, it was an honour for me to work in such university. i enjoy every day and every minutes teaching in this university.
productive and exciting place to work
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Wales8 August 2018
i was a student ambassador whilst i was at university and this job was an extremely helpful benefit to have whilst completing my degree. fun and enjoyable work,
Nice enough place
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pontypridd15 July 2018
Based on research with SERC, it's fine all in all. Sadly they require some more money in the right places (such as access to journals) and less admin. Equipment is up to standard too, but the food/cafes are pricey.
Pros
Comfort zone
Cons
Poor journal access
limited research
Lecturer/Tutor (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff10 July 2018
research is limited, non inclusive and limited to some departments.

Time to research is not taken.

Lack of suitably qualified staff
reliance on less qualified staff
progression limited
favouritism, nepotism rife.
training limited to senior staff only.
Pros
flexibility to working hours
Cons
excessive red tape
Amazing training and amazing staff
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Treforest, Rhondda Cynon Taff23 May 2018
i learned a lot about myself working here as an intern for 10 weeks. the team were so supportive and helped me prepare for a future career in digital marketing.
No room for progression
Financial Accountant - Finance Officer (Current Employee) –  Pontypridd21 March 2018
No two days are the same, often get ad hoc request from management, while I do my day to day tasks

I have learned many skill throughout my ten years within the company

Over the years the managers have taken on more responsibility as this has filtered down as the work force has been made smaller

Hardest part is getting decisions made my senior members

Best part is meeting people and building relationships while I maintain, investigate and capitalize assets for the university
Pros
Flexi system
Cons
Time for management to make a decision
Awful outsource security company
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Treforest, Rhondda Cynon Taff12 December 2017
Kingdom security, awful company to work for! Shame the University wouldn't do it direct cut out the middle guy. staff treatment which i couldn't even rate apart from a 0. really couldn't express a company worse than this one. AWFUL
university summary
Student (Former Employee) –  South Wales16 October 2017
i learned more into comedy, added a little more experience in film making and team work. Most enjoyable part was working with friends, hardest part was getting a group together that worked efficiently.
Pros
Meeting interesting people
Cons
lack of help and opportunities
Voluntary Work whilst Studying
Co- Chairman (Former Employee) –  Wales26 September 2017
During my final year of studies in university I joined the History Society and quickly became appointed co-chairman. Having never been in the situation where I headed meetings before it was a learning curve, but I feel that I embraced it and enjoyed it nonetheless.
fabulous students
tutor (Former Employee) –  university of south wlaes13 September 2017
The University of South Wales has a great student cohort, hard working and enthusiastic with a very wide range of nationalities represented. A fun and challenging working environment with fabulous front-line staff.
University Advertiser.
University Promoter (Former Employee) –  Swansea1 August 2017
I worked on a weekend job advertising the university. It was a great pleasure helping visitors out with their needs and interests.

The major problem was the lack of support from human resources where they did not give us the right equipment to do it properly.
Good holiday and pay but no progression
Dyslexia Support Tutor (Former Employee) –  Wales, UK18 July 2017
Since the merger the University has made some bad decisions (eg closure of Caerleon) which has negatively impacted on staff and students.
There are ruthless restructures and no progression although flexi is available and the holidays are good compared to other places.
The management just don't care about the staff and the university overall is struggling.
Pros
Flexi, holidays
Cons
No progression, no stability, poor management
Productive and Friendly
Student (Former Employee) –  Treforest, Rhondda Cynon Taff3 July 2017
Well organised and friendly place to be. Everything is done with the the highest degree of professionalism. Every member of staff possesses a relationship of varying degree amongst coworkers.
Good only if you are in senior management or and academic.
Admissions and Enrolment Administrator (Former Employee) –  Newport, UK26 May 2017
When it was the University of Wales, Newport it was a great place to work but since the University of Glamorgan take over its a nightmare now - everything is done the university of Glamorgan way - old and outdated procedures - take student finance for example - in UWN the Student Records System was "all inclusive" - Admissions, Student Records, Student Finance, Student Support, MIS, the lot - now all the systems are separate and don't "talk" to each other !!!!
A great leap backwards to the time when degree certificates were hand written with quill pens !!!
Pros
Cons
too many to mention
Nice place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Treforest3 May 2017
Management is great,
company is good,
never two days the same,
free training in house and not.
If you will work hard you will progress soon.
Uniform smart