University of South Wales

University of South Wales Employee Reviews

United Kingdom56 reviews
Difficult management environment. Busy and stressful at times, HE is not what it used to be. The school of earth sciences was put to the bottom of the funding allocation and this made delivery of content difficult.
The only reason I left because I was made redundant after 14 years really enjoyed meeting members of the public and staff one the students the best place I have ever worked at
Only worked on a short term contract but had a wonderful experience working with very likeable staff members. The hours were flexible due to working through agency.
The university was a fun place to learn at for the 2 years I stayed, lots of on site facilities and was located near a small town.

The University course I was on suffered heavily from inconsistent quality, several lectures has poor english or poor pronunciation which made several modules much tougher than they needed too, this was made worse when when several lecture halls has out of focus or non functioning projectors making many lectures impossible to listen too in addition to being unreadable.
Pros
Good campus
Cons
Wildly varying quality lectures per module
The course was largely academic and there was very little opportunity to develop practical skills in the workshop. The only place to seriously develop practical skills was as part of the formula student team.
We have a thorough training with all relevant paperwork to support as invigilators and as scribing for exam students.
We also are given the opportunity to address the feedback after exam invigilating to what went well and what weaknesses were encountered.

Been doing exam invigilating for over 5 years and have grown to enjoy this type of work.
Gained Masters in Governance here. I also studied for a BSc in Adult nursing here and completed many placements within a hospital setting as part of training.
The people are nice at USW, there is room for progression as they like to offer positions to internal candidates.

The pay is average for a university and the work life balance is quite good with the right role.

Constant restructuring carried by people at the top make job security unstable. There are lots of fixed term contracts given out rather than permanent ones.
Pros
Work/life balance, nice people, friendly atmosphere
Cons
Restructures, senior management diconeected from students and a bit old fashioned
It was fun to brainstorm ideas and create prototypes for the brief we were given, yet still engaging where we had to work fast and effectively towards the deadline.
Has declined since becoming the biggest university in Wales. Tightening budgets and reduction of student services leaves a frustrated and overworked workforce. The University is only interested in making money and not the quality of education. Far too many middle management types and constant cuts to front line staff. Staff feel undervalued and have job insecurity.
Excellent opportunity to develop teaching skills, and influence future workforce. There is no typical day, as work can involve visiting practice placement setting to conduct educational audits/link visits, or teaching lectures, lesson planning, pastoral care, etc.
Pros
Fairly close to home
Cons
Heavy work load
We're all very creative and fun people at this university. We have an ethos to make things happen, especially when it comes to the students. We'd consider ourselves to be 'Yes' people when given a task and it pushes us to our creative abilities. The courses often like to work with each other to create super projects. The only hard part of this is sometimes we're forced to work later or things can take longer than initially planned.
Pros
Freedom to interact with people.
Cons
Evening work sometimes required.
I think that University of South Wales is one of the top quality employer in Wales and even on international level as the university is becoming more popular.
Staff at the university are very well mannered, which provided me with confidence and the ability to report any faults when conducting maintenance checks.
You would get you daily duties through a website system that you would check off throughout the day to notify management the job has been successfully completed.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the other staff because they provided a relaxed and fun working environment.

The worst part of the job was cleaning the students accommodation blocks.
Being a Student Ambassador and helping out prospective students was very rewarding. You simply provide your knowledge and experience of being a student to potential candidates as well as guiding them around the university's facilities and explaining the services the university provides.

The working hours were typically short and only occurred on a handful of days throughout the year, but the pay reflected this well and you are heavily compensated for you time.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Infrequent working hours
It was fun working for the university of South wales, the management were so helpful and made the job so fun. The working culture is very good. My responsibility was to carry out experimental tests on soil stabilisation using industrial by-products. On a typical day I would get the instruction on what to do. The job taught to work on my own initiative with minimal supervision
Pros
Flexible working time
Cons
Stricty finish time
One of the aspects of USW which instilled in me the passion I felt and still feel for the campus, was how dedicated and passionate they were about me as a student and as a person. I miss my university very much; there have been few places I have ever visited which have made me feel so important and needed as USW has.
Productive and Grate Place to Work. i was an MSc Students at USW, i have graduated in 2014 and then i have been offered to work in the USW, it was an honour for me to work in such university. i enjoy every day and every minutes teaching in this university.
i was a student ambassador whilst i was at university and this job was an extremely helpful benefit to have whilst completing my degree. fun and enjoyable work,
Based on research with SERC, it's fine all in all. Sadly they require some more money in the right places (such as access to journals) and less admin. Equipment is up to standard too, but the food/cafes are pricey.
Pros
Comfort zone
Cons
Poor journal access
research is limited, non inclusive and limited to some departments.

Time to research is not taken.

Lack of suitably qualified staff

reliance on less qualified staff

progression limited

favouritism, nepotism rife.

training limited to senior staff only.
Pros
flexibility to working hours
Cons
excessive red tape
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of South Wales. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7