University of Sheffield

University of Sheffield Pay & benefits reviews

United Kingdom94 reviews
I would recommend working here. Good salary, good staff, great atmosphere. Nice city to live in, the cost of living is very fair compared to the rest of England.
Treated awfully as a graduate teaching assistant, expected to spent entire weeks doing additional work for no extra pay. The salary is already bad compared to other universities. So competitive that you can’t trust anyone, and staff just throw each other under the bus to advance themselves. I refused to teach there anymore because the culture is so toxic
Pros
Cons
Terrible pay, dogmatic, stressful, no support
Salary grading, work life balance and culture varies greatly between departments. Colleagues in other depts with less responsibility and on higher grades. Vacant posts never filled, work pushed onto existing staff - when you’re doing three jobs rolled into one for no more money, no recognition, no support from management. Toxic and stressful.
Worked in 2 departments in the university, both were very competitive. The culture was very much more time in the office made you a more worthy member of staff and earned you praise. There wasn't always a lot of support and even amongst peers it did not feel like a nurturing work environment.
Working for the University of Sheffield is a wonderful experience, I am dealing with data during that period. I receive flexible working time, and get fair paid as well.
They tend to pull you in on the idea of progression and job security, even if the job is temporary as they have a redeployment scheme. This is definitely not the case. the benefits are the same as everywhere else, and the redeployment scheme is only applicable if you have worked there for more than a year. It would be just as good for work in a call centre like Capita or Santander.
Management is shocking. no team meetings or one to ones. Those who have worked there for years are not at all welcoming to new people. mangers won't let you have time off if a relative (grandparent) dies unless you had caring responsibilities, No mental health help for colleagues. Won't give holidays back if you were ill at the time of taking them unless you go straight to HR.
Equal opportunities employer who look after staff. Allow you to work flexible hours if job allows. Opportunity for advancement. Respect for staff and good holidays and pay.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Parking
Nice Environment
Bad life Balance

Multicultural Environment

High Level Research

Low Salary
Non co-operative supervision
Diverse Professionals

High Accademic level
Fixed term contract work and fixed pay scales make for a very restrictive environment. An inability to reward talent and skills leads to these being lost to business where it can be appropriately recognised.
Pros
Relaxed 'Uni' workstyle, work on novel areas
Cons
FTC and fixed pay scales
During my time working for this company, i learned that when everyone gets involved the work is not only more enjoyable but also more productive.Therefore it is important to work as a team.
Pros
free lunches
There are lots of perks to working at the University; competitive salaries, annual increments, lots of holidays, good (for now) pension, internal courses. However, if you are a hard-working, efficient person who likes to get things done, you will find it frustrating to work there. The people who like to coast seem to be those that get on the best. Those who give it their all and want to innovate/provide a good service are often undervalued. Maybe that's life but it seems to be the most common complaint here.
I enjoy my work at the University, but that has to do with the group of people that I work with. No salary advancement, no opportunity for progression.
Pros
Nice bunch of colleagues
Cons
No progression between grades 4 and 6
A very friendly and supportive working environment. Excellent benefits such as childcare vouchers and great pensions.
Pros
Flexibility
A perfect freelance job whilst I was completing my MA, very generous pay and very relaxed expectations of timeframes for work to be completed so that it would not interfere with studies.
Pros
very flexible
Cons
freelance - so not a steady stream of work/hours
Worked closely with process engineers and research scientists to gain operating experience and gathered preliminary results from the first period of testing
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Low salary
A typical work day would usually involve arriving around an hour early for an event such as an open day or residential so that the team had time to have briefing and finish setting up. After that we would generally be split of so that we could look after a particular area or group of students. From this point on our responsibilities were along the lines of helping people get to where they needed to go, helping people out with tasks and answering questions about the University and our degree subjects.

I learned a great deal from all the events that I worked in particularly with regards to public speaking and communication in addition I became far more confident with my leadership and further developed my team management skills.

The work we were involved with was normally all pre-arranged and organised however we still had some freedom in the way that we answered questions and guided people around.

My co-workers and I got along very well especially those that I had worked alongside on more than one occasion.

The hardest part of the job was also in part the most enjoyable and rewarding part in that I was getting the opportunity to meet and talk to new people but also due to the large numbers of people and busy time schedules it was especially tiring.
Pros
Great co-workers, Flexible hours, Reasonable pay and benefits - free lunches, good holiday pay as compulsory
Cons
Busy work days
Work well with co workers, learned a lot about food hygiene and health and safety.