University of Sheffield Pay & Benefits reviews

Low Salary
Non co-operative supervision
Diverse Professionals
High Accademic level
No ability to reward talent
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sheffield25 October 2017
Fixed term contract work and fixed pay scales make for a very restrictive environment. An inability to reward talent and skills leads to these being lost to business where it can be appropriately recognised.
Pros
Relaxed 'Uni' workstyle, work on novel areas
Cons
FTC and fixed pay scales
productive and fun workplace
Kitchen porter (Former Employee) –  Sheffield10 October 2017
During my time working for this company, i learned that when everyone gets involved the work is not only more enjoyable but also more productive.Therefore it is important to work as a team.
Pros
free lunches
Fun place to work with the right people
Learning and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, UK28 February 2017
I enjoy my work at the University, but that has to do with the group of people that I work with. No salary advancement, no opportunity for progression.
Pros
Nice bunch of colleagues
Cons
No progression between grades 4 and 6
Supportive
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire28 January 2017
A very friendly and supportive working environment. Excellent benefits such as childcare vouchers and great pensions.
Pros
Flexibility
Flexible working for an MA Student
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield3 January 2017
A perfect freelance job whilst I was completing my MA, very generous pay and very relaxed expectations of timeframes for work to be completed so that it would not interfere with studies.
Pros
very flexible
Cons
freelance - so not a steady stream of work/hours
Fun and innovative environment to work in
Research Assistance (Current Employee) –  Sheffield14 November 2016
Worked closely with process engineers and research scientists to gain operating experience and gathered preliminary results from the first period of testing
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Low salary
Amazing educational experience working alongside great people
A typical work day would usually involve arriving around an hour early for an event such as an open day or residential so that the team had time to have briefing and finish setting up. After that we would generally be split of so that we could look after a particular area or group of students. From this point on our responsibilities were along the lines of helping people get to where they needed to go, helping people out with tasks and answering questions about the University and our degree subjects.

I learned a great deal from all the events that I worked in particularly with regards to public speaking and communication in addition I became far more confident with my leadership and further developed my team management skills.

The work we were involved with was normally all pre-arranged and organised however we still had some freedom in the way that we answered questions and guided people around.

My co-workers and I got along very well especially those that I had worked alongside on more than one occasion.

The hardest part of the job was also in part the most enjoyable and rewarding part in that I was getting the opportunity to meet and talk to new people but also due to the large numbers of people and busy time schedules it was especially tiring.
Pros
Great co-workers, Flexible hours, Reasonable pay and benefits - free lunches, good holiday pay as compulsory
Cons
Busy work days
Productive and good work place
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sheffield21 April 2012
Work well with co workers, learned a lot about food hygiene and health and safety.