University of Sheffield Employee Reviews

Pretty relaxed working ethic
Residence Assistant (Former Employee) –  University residences17 September 2019
Most of my time in various jobs at the University was great with managers with more loose work-management stiles as long as all targets were hit so you were allowed to developed your own SOP as long as it aligned with all guidelines and met all standards necessary which was really cool. I liked it.
Easy place to work
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire5 September 2019
I only worked for the university of sheffield briefly but my time there was very enjoyable, my co-workers were friendly and it was all well organised.
Inspiring workplace
Classroom tutor (Current Employee) –  Sheffield29 August 2019
Lots of support given for those interested in teaching undergraduate students. It can be daunting teaching students for the first time but experienced lead teaching demonstrators made this easier.
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Sheffield25 July 2019
Being a student is really taken into consideration. Never given too many hours and can always swap/give away shifts pretty easily.
Pay is great and can’t find anywhere that it’s better for the same job.
Management are really nice.
Pros
Swap/give away shifts
Cons
None really
Great team poor management
Security Patrol Officer (Former Employee) –  Sheffield19 July 2019
Great team members but as with all of these organisations management is top heavy and surprisingly a culture of bullying managers who shout and threaten members of staff with dismissal and on one occasion prison when a patrol vehicle was accidentally driven in a bus lane, worked on a great team who I still stay in touch with but couldn’t go back whilst present management culture remains.
Pros
Great team members, good money
Cons
Long hours, bullying culture
Workplace culture
EU Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Sheffield14 July 2019
Pleasant and inspiring environment, nice and friendly people.
Fun workplace
Student Mentor (Former Employee) –  Sheffield1 July 2019
Do not have a negative thing to say. The rate of pay is amazing to fund your student life experience. The work is not taxing but enjoyable and insightful.
Great opportunities for volunteering
Psychology Academic Representative (Current Employee) –  Sheffield7 May 2019
Many chances to work in the departments and throughout the uni as a volunteer. I work as an academic rep and a student mentor which is great experience
Pros
rewarding
Cons
demanding
Flexible part time work
Open day tour guide (Former Employee) –  Sheffield25 January 2019
As part of the open day team I was able to work flexibly and use my experiences to best promote the university to prospective students, supervisors were supportive in this and gave me constructive feedback.
Very dynamic and plesant working place
R & D (Former Employee) –  South Yorkshire9 January 2019
I worked in a very professional and stymulating working place.
good university
part time tutor (Former Employee) –  Sheffield22 September 2018
a typical day at work
1 hour seminar, 30mins lecture, Q&A time instructed students with lab techniques. help them finish their paper work after the seminar.
hardest part:
evaluate individuals
Friendly and welcoming
Learning Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield7 September 2018
I particularly enjoyed working here, the working environment is friendly and easygoing. The workload was never too much and the team and managers were supportive throughout.
Postdoc Experience
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Sheffield10 August 2018
I have no complaints about working here. Sheffield university is a good institute. Great atmosphere. Friendly people. Supportive staff. I was lucky to have a very good boss and research group here. I would highly recommend it. Just make sure you find a suitable research group.
amazing institution
A Member (Secretary) of Thai Society (Former Employee) –  Sheffield7 July 2018
it provided good environment for study as well as activities that encouraged students to experience new things apart from study. Stuff was very helpful too.
PA to Head of Department (Former Employee) –  Sheffield19 June 2018
Equal opportunities employer who look after staff. Allow you to work flexible hours if job allows. Opportunity for advancement. Respect for staff and good holidays and pay.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Parking
Productive and fun worksplace
Post-Doctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Sheffield16 May 2018
An enjoyable place to work,in a positive and diverse environment. The university is well resourced and collaboration and openness is encouraged.The university is very good at providing support and training for research staff and has a scheme for ensuring good health and well being.
Very pleasant
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire15 May 2018
All fine. Pleasant people, helpful, in a friendly city, very close to the Peak District. The library is not particularly good, but the Interlibrary Loan Department is efficient.
Relaxed and positive workplace
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield6 May 2018
I was on a work experience programme at the University of Sheffield, in the biomedical science department.

I learned a vast amount of new information during my time at the university. The hours were very good; I had at least an hour for lunch everyday and I often went home early. There was a very relaxed atmosphere also.
Pros
Flexable hours
Cons
Some unqualified bosses
University of Sheffield
Night Shift Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Sheffield22 April 2018
I have working at University of Sheffield for more than 4 years and it has been a great experience. Everyday is a different challenge as we as cleaner had to deal with different kind of challenge and people from all over the world.

I am happy to work here because the Management and my work colleague are very helpful and willing to share knowledge and help each other. It is really an enjoyable experience to work as other than the work load we also had a chance to know other staff and also the student. But the hardest part is when working during exam period as it will be very busy. Yet still it is a great experience as we also learn to help the student to get through the toughest period in their student life.
Pros
great work colleague
Cons
busy schedule
Decent Employer
Trials Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire22 April 2018
Decent employer, but the job culture doesn't allow much room for growth/promotion. Support for staff with disabilities is good, but needs improvement.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Lack of growth/promotional opportunities

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Sheffield. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5