University of Sheffield

University of Sheffield Employee Reviews

United Kingdom92 reviews
The University of Sheffield was a fantastic place to train as a Dental Hygiene and Therapist due to its excellent workplace culture and course structure.
Working at the University of Sheffield, offered a good work/life balance and good encouragement from managers/ supervisors. Required the ability to work independently.
Salary grading, work life balance and culture varies greatly between departments. Colleagues in other depts with less responsibility and on higher grades. Vacant posts never filled, work pushed onto existing staff - when you’re doing three jobs rolled into one for no more money, no recognition, no support from management. Toxic and stressful.
Disorganised, disfunctional, no sense of urgency, no management of the programme, all staff left to own devices with no consistency in documentation, plans, management styles.
A rich environment where initiative plays an important role, the returns are a broader mindset, work ethic development and communication skills.

A typical day would include clearing doubts, teaching students in computer labs on programming. My previous experience being taken into account taught me how it feels from a teaching perspective instilling a sense of responsibility to guide students with appropriate level of knowledge.

As a mentor in Summer School for a group of pre-university students was taxing; the hardest part was not the hours or the students but understanding how to adapt to the situation and be able to provide guidance, feedback and direction to the students.

Overall a lot of independent initiative is required but the growth in terms of personal character development, communicating with a crowd of multi-nationals and time management were immense.
Worked in 2 departments in the university, both were very competitive. The culture was very much more time in the office made you a more worthy member of staff and earned you praise. There wasn't always a lot of support and even amongst peers it did not feel like a nurturing work environment.
Working there was a very welcoming environment which made you feel at home. All the staff were kind and made you feel comfortable being there every day.
I would recommend working here. Good salary, good staff, great atmosphere. Nice city to live in, the cost of living is very fair compared to the rest of England.
Working at the University of Sheffield offered me a chance to be a part of one of the UK's top research institutions, in a workplace that wwas both fun, engaging and wholly recommendable.
My experience working at Sheffield has been positive, involving an accepting and easygoing atmosphere from the very beginning. Every one of my colleagues has been friendly and easy to work with, fostering good teamwork and collaboration. I've enjoyed my work there and will be sad to see it end once my contract expires.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at University of Sheffield?
Working for the University of Sheffield is a wonderful experience, I am dealing with data during that period. I receive flexible working time, and get fair paid as well.
They tend to pull you in on the idea of progression and job security, even if the job is temporary as they have a redeployment scheme. This is definitely not the case. the benefits are the same as everywhere else, and the redeployment scheme is only applicable if you have worked there for more than a year. It would be just as good for work in a call centre like Capita or Santander.
Management is shocking. no team meetings or one to ones. Those who have worked there for years are not at all welcoming to new people. mangers won't let you have time off if a relative (grandparent) dies unless you had caring responsibilities, No mental health help for colleagues. Won't give holidays back if you were ill at the time of taking them unless you go straight to HR.
Cant be bothered, just to fulfil this 150 character limit my opinion is there's good and bad in any company. I worked with many great people and some not.
world known university, specialy for reseach. Aerospace and engineering. School environment, class room environment, teacher quality realy reportable.
Good place to work for I enjoyed my short period when working for the company and engaged with many different students both English and International meaning I met many different characters.
Most of my time in various jobs at the University was great with managers with more loose work-management stiles as long as all targets were hit so you were allowed to developed your own SOP as long as it aligned with all guidelines and met all standards necessary which was really cool. I liked it.
I only worked for the university of sheffield briefly but my time there was very enjoyable, my co-workers were friendly and it was all well organised.
Lots of support given for those interested in teaching undergraduate students. It can be daunting teaching students for the first time but experienced lead teaching demonstrators made this easier.
Being a student is really taken into consideration. Never given too many hours and can always swap/give away shifts pretty easily.
Pay is great and can’t find anywhere that it’s better for the same job.

Management are really nice.
Pros
Swap/give away shifts
Cons
None really
Great team members but as with all of these organisations management is top heavy and surprisingly a culture of bullying managers who shout and threaten members of staff with dismissal and on one occasion prison when a patrol vehicle was accidentally driven in a bus lane, worked on a great team who I still stay in touch with but couldn’t go back whilst present management culture remains.
Pros
Great team members, good money
Cons
Long hours, bullying culture
Pleasant and inspiring environment, nice and friendly people.