University of Sheffield Employee Reviews

Very pleasant
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire15 May 2018
All fine. Pleasant people, helpful, in a friendly city, very close to the Peak District. The library is not particularly good, but the Interlibrary Loan Department is efficient.
Relaxed and positive workplace
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield6 May 2018
I was on a work experience programme at the University of Sheffield, in the biomedical science department.

I learned a vast amount of new information during my time at the university. The hours were very good; I had at least an hour for lunch everyday and I often went home early. There was a very relaxed atmosphere also.
Pros
Flexable hours
Cons
Some unqualified bosses
University of Sheffield
Night Shift Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Sheffield22 April 2018
I have working at University of Sheffield for more than 4 years and it has been a great experience. Everyday is a different challenge as we as cleaner had to deal with different kind of challenge and people from all over the world.

I am happy to work here because the Management and my work colleague are very helpful and willing to share knowledge and help each other. It is really an enjoyable experience to work as other than the work load we also had a chance to know other staff and also the student. But the hardest part is when working during exam period as it will be very busy. Yet still it is a great experience as we also learn to help the student to get through the toughest period in their student life.
Pros
great work colleague
Cons
busy schedule
Decent Employer
Trials Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire22 April 2018
Decent employer, but the job culture doesn't allow much room for growth/promotion. Support for staff with disabilities is good, but needs improvement.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Lack of growth/promotional opportunities
Productive and funplace
Student (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire2 April 2018
The typical day in the University of Sheffield is attending lectures, meeting with members of groups you are a part of and carrying out technical laboratories.
I have learnt how to prirotise my workload and manage it efficiently.
Staff in the university is very helpful and they ensure that they delivered the information correctly.
Pros
Meet with real employers
Cons
Long Hours
學術氛圍好
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  South Yorkshire4 March 2018
每周有固定教學時數
與學生互動良好
與開課教授互動良好
必須與英國學生在課堂中討論,必須習慣英國本土學生講話的速度與用語
解答學生對於統計學, 統計軟體使用方面的問題
Student
Course Representative (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire25 January 2018
Worked as a student representative for the economics department, liaising between staff and students. Was a fantastic experience to gain insight into the department.
Nice Environment Bad life Balance
Low Salary
Non co-operative supervision
Diverse Professionals
High Accademic level
Ambente di lavoro stimolante, multiculturale
Visiting researcher (Former Employee) –  South Yorkshire6 November 2017
L'università di Sheffield è una delle migliori istituzioni a livello mondiale per accoglienza sia degli studenti che ricercatori stranieri, è un ambiente multiculturale, molto stimolante ed istruttivo
No ability to reward talent
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sheffield25 October 2017
Fixed term contract work and fixed pay scales make for a very restrictive environment. An inability to reward talent and skills leads to these being lost to business where it can be appropriately recognised.
Pros
Relaxed 'Uni' workstyle, work on novel areas
Cons
FTC and fixed pay scales
Casual Worker
Casual Worker (Former Employee) –  Sheffield12 October 2017
Casual work involved helping out with the Department Open Days for prospective students.

You put yourself forward for different times and roles, which can include tour guides or chatting with parents.

Well managed, good to practice communication skills.
productive and fun workplace
Kitchen porter (Former Employee) –  Sheffield10 October 2017
During my time working for this company, i learned that when everyone gets involved the work is not only more enjoyable but also more productive.Therefore it is important to work as a team.
Pros
free lunches
Busy, but fun workplace
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield28 August 2017
During my work experience at the University of Sheffield I worked in the Outreach department, this consisted of organising and helping with events.

From working at the University of Sheffield I learned more about work life, as well as what it is like to work in an office.
Pros
Everyone is friendly, outgoing and eager to help with any issues.
Rewarding job
Residence Mentor (Former Employee) –  Sheffield26 August 2017
A rewarding job that allowed you to push yourself into situations that you wouldn't necessarily involve yourself in normally in order to broaden your experience.

My boss was very relaxed and easy to work with.
Pros
Relatively easy work for the money
Productive and fun
Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) (Former Employee) –  Sheffield4 August 2017
I enjoyed very much interacting with undergraduate and masters student during the laboratory demonstrations. It was fun and always triggered intellectual interaction with students.

I have gained huge deal of experience during this role, such communication, presentation, and demonstrating skills. It was also challenging as you get a range of student of different knowledge and therefore variety of challenging tasks.
Pros
fun, educational, challenging
Cons
nonr
Incredible Experience
Orientation Assistant and Global Campus Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Sheffield3 August 2017
Working with the Orientation and Global Campus teams was an incredible experience. I learned so much about other cultures and societies, and the people who live in them. It was amazing to be given the opportunity to work with so many young people and help them to become a part of the University of Sheffield. My only criticism is that there was not the opportunity to work more hours!
Pros
great team, great environment
Fun
Student Accommodation Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Sheffield31 July 2017
It was great to work for the University, showing people around the prospective housing that was on offer. This job made me more confident in public speaking and was all in all a great experience.
Great experience to worn there
Lecturer (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Sheffield28 July 2017
My experience of teaching evening classes at the University of Sheffield's Institute for Lifelong Learning was highly rewarding and the experience of working for a different institution to Doncaster College was illuminating. The place was well organising and seemed to provide students with an organised and coherent approach with very good facilities and excellent technical support.
Pros
Good organisation
Cons
Classes were evening and not day
academic
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield30 June 2017
is rich in research resources. looking after students' wealth fares. providing detailed instructions to students. being friendly and polite to students.
Student ambassador
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire28 June 2017
Easy and well paid work. Great Environment. Free food and beer. Develop you interpersonal skills, talking to perspective students. Organisation skills are useful.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Sheffield. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5