University of Reading

University of Reading Employee Reviews

United Kingdom91 reviews
This is a great place to woirk. I loved my time there and would recommend it to anyone who fancys a change of pace and scenery. Free food and coffee...
I work as a student note taker. The salary is excellent, and the flexibility around my studies is very good (e.g. if a date was close to my dissertation submission date, my shifts were covered no questions asked).
Each day would include reading multiple papers, summarising them in short concise paragraphs to be shared with the rest of the group, working with PhD students and Postdoc's and experimenting with novel methods for data analysis. 3 meetings a week with groups of academics in both formal and informal environments. The Bluesky nature of the research was liberating and resulted in conclusions that shaped the rest of my degree and way i approach signal processing problems.
Pros
Dedicated research environment with great resources, interdisciplinary work
Cons
Poor macroscopic University management
Great Campus and staff, who were always available to offer and assistance that maybe required. Loads of activities to partake both on the campus and outside in town.
Fun place surrounded by many friendly people. I was able to greet countless new students and their family to the university and ensure that they felt comfortable and welcome.
Working in the library at the University of Reading is often varied as staff participate in a number of different tasks throughout the different departments.
always something new, no two shifts the same. sometimes get to meet well known performers and also other events like comedy and drama.
Pros
meet celebrities, good music, friendly staff
Cons
long hours, cold, on feet
With the efficient cooperation between me and the other researcher, we have contributed to the fundamental understanding of these novel hybrid materials, including how their self-assembly impacts on both their optical and redox properties, and also created a novel technology platform for optoelectronics, centred on more sustainable metal sources (low toxicity and reasonably priced Mo) than current technologies (. precious metals or toxic Pb or Cd based Materials).
Everyday is so varied and everyone on campus so helpful and happy.

Nothing is to much trouble for anyone.

Always heard was a good place to work but can say now they were right.

Manager is a real person not a business clone like old job, genuinally interested in me as a person and co-worker not fake.
Pros
Flexible working, great co-workers, job satisfaction
Cons
Answering a high volume of incoming calls for Adjustment and Clearing applications for A-level students trying to get into the university. This involved:
- Completing short courses on the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

- Familiarising with all the various types of international qualifications.

- Adapting to any questions regarding the Adjustment and Clearing process and/or the University itself.
This was only a volunteer position so I cannot go into much detail. The campus is beautiful and there is a great atmosphere.
It used to be a great place to work (I've been there 10 years). However management turn a blind eye to bullying and don't want to know when it's brought up. They will always have excuses for the Senior member of staff's behaviour and will turn it round to the complainer who is usually more junior and will become the fall guy. I was told to put up with it and then told it's my fault. There is a major blame culture going on. It's a shame because it could be (and was) a good place to work but not anymore.
Pros
Lovely campus
Awful management and decision making. Culture of bullying which is accepted (swept under carpet) by management. Extremely unstable at moment due to cuts.
Pros
Beautiful campus, lots of perks such as free training, lunchtime concerts, bike maintenance, discounts etc.
Cons
Extremely poor management, culture of bullying which is accepted by management, spent millions on PwC consultancy whilst making hundreds of staff redundant
The laboratory is specialized in the histologic study of human tissues and biological samples, in order to discover eventual tumor cells.
The main activities are automated Immunohistochemistry(HIC) and microscopy.

The division is composed by 8 medicines and a technical staff of around 10-12 people.

The typical day at work starts at 8 am and ends at 3pm.

In this environment I learned to work team , relating to both medicines and technicians, and I have learned the IHC techniques with the automated machine Ventana Systems.
Pros
team working
As a Student Ambassadors I had a pivotal role within the team
acting as positive role models enthusing about their experiences to prospective students that may want to join the University.

Allowing me to become a highly motivated individual with a real passion for the University and a desire to convey that enthusiasm to prospective students. Providing excellent communication skills and the ability to interact with a range of visitors from prospective students and their parents, to school teachers and University staff.
University of Reading as an employer was extremely supportive, being part of a company the size of a University with such a firm belief in learning and development allowed me to flourish in my role; offering several chances to go on courses, conferences and other learning experiences.
During my internship at The University of Reading I have learned many techiniques: immunological techniques (ELISA assay), lipid profiling (ILAB), FISH, in vitro batch cultures, DNA extraction and microbiological techniques. The envoironment is very friendly and fun, and even if sometimes the job is hard, the co-workers are all very helpful.
I have undertaken research at the University of Reading for the past few months, where I have investigated epilepsy. My responsibilities included measurement of activity from epileptic animal tissue, extraction of animal tissue for experimentation, creating animal models of epilepsy and animal behaviour tests. The management and co-workers were very friendly and helpful.
Pros
Great supervisors and learnt wide range of skills
Cons
There is a hard work ethic within the University. However the extra that people do is not always acknowledged; it depends on the department you are in and the Director of that department.

There are some great staff and the grounds are fantastic.
Pros
No fixed working hours per week
Cons
No fixed working hours per week
I have enjoyed working for the University of Reading the last 18 years but with the current restructure of support staff I opted to take voluntary redundancy as they do not seem to have clear information available on what changes will be made. I will however consider jobs that do become available back at the University as I have now decided to consider part-time positions, they are a good employer and the grounds etc. make it a lovely place to work
I really enjoy working for the University of Reading on a Part time Basis, it was a really great atmosphere and the History Department was a wonderful team to be involved it.

As it was only on a part time basis, there is not a typical day as such, all the days are different. I got to talk and discuss with lecturers regarding the social media strategy and our presence in social media. I was engaged in Visit Day and Open Day where I got to talk to prospective students and parents regarding University life and share my experiences as a students.