University of Reading
University of Reading Employee Review

Fun workplace and useful experience

4 September 2019
I undertook a research assistant role at the University of Reading for my placement. It was based in the nutritional labs within their Psychology building and the research was looking into the affects of grapeseed extract on cognitive performance, both acute and chronic affects were analysed. The roles I undertook involved: researching food flavonoid levels and recording data into spreadsheets, marking raw data on a word memory task (RAVLT) and checking raw data on the other tasks to test performance, making lunch for participants, taking lead on organising participants and ensuring they understood all aspects of the experiment, helping other researchers by taking the blood pressures of participants and setting up their experiment apparatus.

Completing a 3-month work placement, with over 80 hours of work, within the University as a research assistant developed my assisting and data handling skills. I found these increasingly developed skills were very helpful before running my own dissertation project, it gave me a good amount of time to collect raw data and see the conversion between complete raw data to usable data, ready and prepared for analysis. Handling data throughout university has been a massive learning curve for me as previously I had very little experience within the psychological field of research and handling data of any sort overall. I believe this intense and rewarding experience through University of handling specific and general data can be transferred across many differing types of data, as the skills of organisation, accuracy and consistency have all been
 - more...
27 March 2017
Each day would include reading multiple papers, summarising them in short concise paragraphs to be shared with the rest of the group, working with PhD students and Postdoc's and experimenting with novel methods for data analysis. 3 meetings a week with groups of academics in both formal and informal environments. The Bluesky nature of the research was liberating and resulted in conclusions that shaped the rest of my degree and way i approach signal processing problems.
Pros
Dedicated research environment with great resources, interdisciplinary work
Cons
Poor macroscopic University management
17 September 2016
Same roleSame location
With the efficient cooperation between me and the other researcher, we have contributed to the fundamental understanding of these novel hybrid materials, including how their self-assembly impacts on both their optical and redox properties, and also created a novel technology platform for optoelectronics, centred on more sustainable metal sources (low toxicity and reasonably priced Mo) than current technologies (. precious metals or toxic Pb or Cd based Materials).
6 May 2020
As employers, the University of Reading are very good and supportive with fair wages above the average minimum wage for most roles. Applying for their jobs through Campus Jobs is easy and manageable, and the hours are very flexible.