University of Reading

University of Reading Employee Reviews

United Kingdom91 reviews
Fantastic
This is a great place to woirk. I loved my time there and would recommend it to anyone who fancys a change of pace and scenery. Free food and coffee...
Fun and Friendly Work Environment
As employers, the University of Reading are very good and supportive with fair wages above the average minimum wage for most roles. Applying for their jobs through Campus Jobs is easy and manageable, and the hours are very flexible.
Terrible place to work
Support centre work is terrible, low pay compared to high volume of work on daily basis not including adhoc duties that may arise. All issues I've reported to my managers during my nearly 2 years in the role of Programme Administrator have gone absolutely nowhere and Upper Management seems purposefully kept out of the loop. Academic staff are rude with combative attitudes toward Support colleagues, overall a completely demoralising place to work for with no chance of progression or incentive to stay.
My perfect day at my perfect fork place!
A typical day at work would center around achieving set goals or targets; that is what typically drives me. The ideal work environment should be dynamic, fast-paced and multicultural where excellence is rewarded as well as being a promoted ethos!
Average
The university is okay to work for providing you have a good line manager. There is a general feeling that the left hand doesn't talk to the right hand sometimes; however, if you can get through that most of the people you work with make it worth the effort. Great people, average management/leadership, good work environment.
An interesting experience
My role at University of Reading was rather different, as it was temp work that I didn't have to apply for. During my MRes my lecturer gave me the opportunity to work on his free online course (a FutureLearn MOOC) as an admin for the course, responding to the learner's questions and comments. The learners were very appreciative of my input and I had free-reign (within common sense boundaries) of what I could post if not replying (links to useful websites or translations etc.)
productive and fun workplace
productive and fun workplace, very nice environment, very respectful and caring professors, very nice and educative experience, learned a lot about my potentials
Lots of walking between building on a HUGE campus
Jan to April 2018 I taught Management Accounting to 42 postgraduate Chinese learners at the University of Reading.
Good management and support services for lecturers.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at University of Reading?
Onderzoeksgerichte universiteit
De afdeling Psychologie aan de University of Reading is een prettige plek om onderzoek te doen, als student of bij een vaste aanstelling. De campus is schitterend en er heerst een goede sfeer. Doordat de UoR een focus op onderzoek heeft, zijn stafleden gedreven en goed in de begeleiding op het gebied van publiceren.
Productive and fun workplace
I found being a Student Ambassador at the University of Reading was accommodating, flexible and supportive. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new students and encouraging them to take on higher education.
Initially great to work there
I had a brilliant Line Manager and team that I managed. It was a great role and a super place to work. That all changed when the Head of Function retired. Now many staff are unhappy and demotivated due to new incumbent at Head of the chain. Lots of left and it's a very different place to work, especially Estates & Facilities.
Fun workplace
Enjoyable experience as a student ambassador interacting with perspective students and their families to encourage them as to why Reading was the perfect choice for them
Pros
Good pay, flexible work
Cons
Working lunch
Fun
A great job for students. Very valuable as you learn more about recruiting new students and develop various skills. It was also great to represent the university.
Fun workplace and useful experience
I undertook a research assistant role at the University of Reading for my placement. It was based in the nutritional labs within their Psychology building and the research was looking into the affects of grapeseed extract on cognitive performance, both acute and chronic affects were analysed. The roles I undertook involved: researching food flavonoid levels and recording data into spreadsheets, marking raw data on a word memory task (RAVLT) and checking raw data on the other tasks to test performance, making lunch for participants, taking lead on organising participants and ensuring they understood all aspects of the experiment, helping other researchers by taking the blood pressures of participants and setting up their experiment apparatus.

Completing a 3-month work placement, with over 80 hours of work, within the University as a research assistant developed my assisting and data handling skills. I found these increasingly developed skills were very helpful before running my own dissertation project, it gave me a good amount of time to collect raw data and see the conversion between complete raw data to usable data, ready and prepared for analysis. Handling data throughout university has been a massive learning curve for me as previously I had very little experience within the psychological field of research and handling data of any sort overall. I believe this intense and rewarding experience through University of handling specific and general data can be transferred across many differing types of data, as the skills of organisation, accuracy and consistency have all been
 - more...
Φιλικό και παραγωγικό περιβάλλον με ευκαιρίες ανέλιξης
Ευχάριστο περιβάλλον, βοηθητικοί συνάδελφοι, επαγγελματισμός, χώρος για πρωτοβουλίες και ευκαιρίες ανελιξης, καλός μισθός.
Productive and fun work place
The people mentoring me in the workplace were positive and encouraging and helped me further my skills within the work environment. I thoroughly enjoyed working here.
Great campus and relaxed atmosphere.
Higher management don't recognise IT and support functions. Money is spent on student expectations only.
Very limited progression opportunities.

Lovely campus. Flexible hours.
Lovely Place to work
Being a student ambassador was an amazing experience. the people are lovely and the job is flexible to fit in with your studies. I would recommend this job to anyone.
Great Uni Job
Part-time job while studying at University. Worked well around my studies, paid well for the work I did. Provided support to potential students so all was interesting.
Productive and fun work
It was amazing experience because I meet new people I can speak about Law with the future students and to promote my amazing University. We were great team,helping people to get to know the University of Reading and us.
Fun and engaging work.
I got the job of digital content ambassador through the uni's campus jobs programme. It was a great experience which allowed me to write and create content for the universities media streams.