University of Nottingham Employee Reviews

Nice culture
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Park Campus21 February 2019
I liked it at Nottingham, I found it to be a supportive place and I felt valued and appreciated. The campus is a lovely place to be and I would recommend it.
Very educational and exciting
Food Innovation Technologist (Former Employee) –  Nottingham15 February 2019
It is the best of both worlds as my work involved conducting research at the university and making connections with food businesses to generate more research. Working at the university gave me access to so many facilities and information which might not be available in one particular food business.
Generally good
Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire14 February 2019
Very nice working culture with working flexibility. The campus is nice and green, the facilities are good, and funding seems to be available most of the time.
Challenging and rewarding
Student Engagement and Development Officer (Former Employee) –  Nottingham4 February 2019
A typical day at the University of Nottingham often starts early and ends later than anticipated, whilst eating through your lunch break. That said, the role was very hands on and consequently rewarding. Should you get a decent lunch break, the campus is beautiful and it's worth a stroll round the lake.
Pros
Flexible work pattern accommodated
Cons
Long hours associated with workload
Precarious
Practical Academic Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire18 December 2018
It can be enjoyable but the demands of some students far outweigh my training and job description. The campus location is superb but work isn't guaranteed, we are only deemed Casual employees and it is unlikely with travel and spare hours that I break even.
Excellent place to work
Clinical Trials Monitor (Current Employee) –  University of Nottingham12 November 2018
Very busy but a great place to learn on the job and increase skill base.

The working can be flexible depending upon the role.
The university is dedicated to the employees developing and learning

I would recommend working here.
14 December 2018

Thank you so much for your review, we are always so grateful to hear from happy employees!

Wonderful university to work and study
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham4 October 2018
Lovely lovely university, would do it all over again if i could. Beautiful campus and great facilities. Very good teaching in the geography department.
14 December 2018

Thank you for your wonderful comments, I am really glad you enjoyed your time here, keep an eye out for future opportunities!

Productive workplace
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Nottingham20 September 2018
I liked this job as it had a lot of structure, I was given a list at the beginning of the day of all the task I'd have to complete that shift, this enabled me to manage my time correctly.
14 December 2018

We are really glad you enjoyed your time at the University, we are always on the look out for good housekeepers, so keep an eye out for future opportunities!

Lab Demonstrator (Former Employee) –  Nottingham17 September 2018
A good place to work with a multicultural and multidisciplinary environment. Based in a beautiful campus with a lot of green, well-equipped facilities. The management of people and space could be better.
14 December 2018

Thank you so much for your kind comments, we really value our diverse workforce who add so much value to the University. You highlighted our wonderful campus, which we aim to keep as green as possible (we were voted as having #1 green campus in the UK and #2 in the world!) as such our management of space needs to be efficient, but we are always working to improve this where possible

Great place to lecture and research
LECTURER ELECTRONIC SYSTEMS (Former Employee) –  Nottingham12 September 2018
Work load varies with the semester, generally 40-60 hours lecturing pa, research or management meeting every day. lectures open to staff, guest speakers, top industry connections, International students
Pros
great staff
Cons
poor mangemnt
14 December 2018

Thank you for your comments, I am glad you enjoyed your time here!

I appreciate your comments about management, 18 months ago we launched the Leadership and Management Academy, where we are aiming to up skill all of our managers to make them more effective. With an institution of our size, it will always take a bit of time, but we feel it has been really well received and you can notice a difference across all departments and campuses.

Great Work Place
HR Officer (Former Employee) –  Nottingham16 August 2018
The University was a brilliant place to work. It was a great working envirnonment both people and culture. They cared about their employees and a good work life balance was important, they went the extra mile to ensure that their employees got this.
14 December 2018

Thank you for your wonderful comments! We very much appreciate your excellent feedback and highlighting some key areas we focus on to ensure our staff are happy at work.

Beautiful Campus
Student (Former Employee) –  Nottingham30 July 2018
A relaxing and beautiful place to study, great to meet people of different cultures. The staff are really supportive and understanding. University of Nottingham would be a great place for anyone wishing to study or work
Productive and bustling Workplace
University Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Nottingham12 July 2018
I was a student ambassador for the university over to years while I was studying at the University. My roles included giving tours of the university, giving talks to potential students and their parents and giving lessons in French and Spanish. The job require me to be outgoing, bubbly and willing to approach potential students as well as having to be extremely organised whilst giving tours and taking visitors to their meetings. I loved meeting new people and having the opportunity to give them advice.
Perfect for a student
Campus Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Nottingham10 July 2018
Working the bars at the Uni of Nottingham provided a fantastic, and most importantly flexible, opportunity to keep myself afloat as I completed my degree. I couldn't have asked for a better job.
Implementation
Learning and Development Training Consultant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire19 June 2018
Management had no knowledge of user requirements, did not engage with end users re roles what was required in the new world, therefore a disparity as to what was thought was wanted to what was actually needed
Pros
Willing to update to Articulate
Cons
Ling Hours
14 December 2018

Thank you for your comments, we are always looking to improve and understand that change does take time. There is a real sense that we are on a journey of improvement currently - following our employee engagement survey in 2016 (the next one of which will take place in the next 12-18 months), which reflects throughout our internal CPD offering, and the range of external courses we can support as well. Most of our staff have 36.25hr contracts to ensure they find the right work-life balance.

I was actually a student here
Enginering Degree group project leader (Former Employee) –  Nottingham15 June 2018
I was a student here so should have gone in my education section but I'm here now and can't change it until i fill this in. Pretty fun time as a student here though.
I loved working here. Haven't had shifts in months
Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire5 June 2018
"The University of Nottingham is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community."

Unless you suffer from mental illness, in which case you need not apply.
Pros
Lovely atmosphere
Cons
Stopped giving me shifts after I missed a couple shifts due to mental illness
14 December 2018

Thank you for your comments, we take mental illness, along with all forms of illness and disability very seriously, and if you feel/felt like your managers weren't following the procedures put in place by the University, you can always contact HR to discuss the issue. They are there to offer support and guidance to ensure that all employees feel comfortable and supported at work. We also offer free mental health support for our trained mental health first aiders (for all employees) as well as a free support line and counselling service, details of which are accessible on our HR webpage.

Great company.
Project data administrator (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire28 May 2018
Working for the University of Nottingham gave me several opportunities to develop my IT skills and interpersonal skills. I also gained my first experience as project manager.
Positive environment for advancement and excellence
Research/KTP Associate (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire25 May 2018
The University of Nottingham provides an excellent environment for personal growth and academic development within a supportive and productive setting.
Buen ambiente de trabajo
PhD student (Former Employee) –  Nottingham13 May 2018
Gente eficiente y cercana, siempre dispuesta a ayudar, buen ambiente de trabajo, buena disponibilidad de recursos.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Nottingham. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2