University of Nottingham

University of Nottingham Employee Reviews

United Kingdom194 reviews
Productive and fun
Provides an inspiring and collegiate atmosphere, fast-paced environment but supportive. Keen to become more involved with the local communities in Nottingham and find productive ways of doing so
Good work life balance , poor management culture
Good work life balance , poor management culture. Not much transparency from senior management and a number of people in positions of authority with little experience or skill to carry out role. A once great place to work at risk of changing for the worse.
Professional atmosphere
Professional atmosphere, friendly colleagues and good managers
Potential of moving up to higher grade depending on service and ability

Generally a good place to work with strong work ethic
Pros
Friendly colleagues
Cons
Pressure of work
Institutionalised
I have worked here for 19 years and made many lifelong friends, however there is a certain work culture that I do not like for example the appraisal system is not a fair system and the same people do seem to be rewarded over many other capable people. There is a one rule for one kind of culture and if your face fits then you are ok.
Great place for a PhD
Wonderful institution for research. Research topics are interesting and PIs are passionate scientists whose work has real impact. I received plenty of guidance and support during my time here.
Competitive research environment
I was working at University of Nottingham for 4 years working in Pharmaceutical site research and I would not consider to go back to the same site as the work environment is so competitive and it doesn't provide a good work/life balance. I would definitely not recommend to my close friends any similar jobs that I had previously .
Cleaner
University of Nottingham is not a bad place to be at although there is 3 campus each have there own faults as I am based at city campus work life there is great, it's close by and friendly environment
Great place for academic career
Well funded and organised scientific projects that will kickstart your career. The working culture is collaborative and inspiring. You are encouraged to be creative and progress academically.
Excellent facilities.
Awesome Employer
Fantastic people, professional environment, good pay, great colleagues and a fair and just place to work. Never had any problems those whole time I was employed by them and my managers were fantastic.
Employed joiner
I have been working for nottingham university for ten years nearly as a joiner, and have been downgraded going down 3 pay scales ,however they still want us to carry out the same duties and even do over and above on a daily basis.
Professional environment
Professional environment where no time for a bad work environment, they were task-focused and professional, I just joined for 2 weeks through unitemps
nice place to work
very nice job it was the i love it so i would tell people to go work the and the people are very nice to and a fun place to work at for sure.and the head chef
Excellent experience
Very organised, highly professional coordinators. Relevant and appropriate materials. Felt highly supported in my role. The atmosphere was collaborative and friendly.
Horrid place
Being friends/friendly with the right people gets you ahead at UoN. Support never offered from the appropriate people. Having to take on higher level responsibility and training my own supervisors with zero support or thanks. Promotions blocked by senior managers. People with shocking knowledge and massive amounts of incompetence are in management levels positions which is worrying. Spent far too much on a central records project which was overfunded and still incomplete.
Pros
Evening and weekends free.
Cons
Life draining. Work with unintelligent people.
Gardening.
Easy work but the money reflects it. It should be a good place to work but management struggle with simple requests from staff. Holidays are very good. I would go back for a retirement job.
Good place to study
Good place to study, and many good courses held. We can attend many useful and practical seminars and events to learn from some experts or successful people in some certain industries.
Enjoyable
Enjoyable place to work, good team of people working together. The management culture is supportive and there is chance to progress. Career devolpment specalists can help with advise if needed.
Always lacking staff
Never giving you the write amount of staff to do the job they wont done.
What they say is not what they do. The holidays are nice and stress levels are high. You are treated as second class people unless you are a part of the teaching staff
Leading the improvement of the University
Project integration to lead the university of Nottingham to be the best university in UK is the day to day main activity.

Maintenance, upgrade and support of the 400 Linux machines and the Solaris environment mainly consumes all of our time. Oncall services are required to keep working the key systems withing the university.

Nice place to work.
Productive High demand workpace.
Productive High demand employer. Depends a lot on the faculty you work for and the structure of the faculty. The processes do change. Responsibilities do increase.
Hard work
Working as a housekeeping assistant at Rutlnd hall is extremely stressful. Understandably it has to be to the highest standards but they go over the top constantly nit picking at minor things.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Nottingham. Our community is ready to answer.
University of Nottingham Reviews by Location