University of Nottingham Employee Reviews

Perfect for a student
Campus Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Nottingham10 July 2018
Working the bars at the Uni of Nottingham provided a fantastic, and most importantly flexible, opportunity to keep myself afloat as I completed my degree. I couldn't have asked for a better job.
Implementation
Learning and Development Training Consultant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire19 June 2018
Management had no knowledge of user requirements, did not engage with end users re roles what was required in the new world, therefore a disparity as to what was thought was wanted to what was actually needed
Pros
Willing to update to Articulate
Cons
Ling Hours
Nice place to work with good work and social life balance
PhD Research Student (Former Employee) –  School of Physics and astronomy18 June 2018
I worked as a PhD research student so my experience is not necessarily typical for standard employment. That being said the university does offer a nice environment to work and has many easy to access services such as sporting facilities and various support systems are in place to look after the welfare of employees.

As for the day to day work, this is something that will vary widely across the university. Reseach, in general, is susceptible to vastly different work style depending on how the work is going. typically the work structure is based around a 9 to 5 but with a lot more flexibility.
I was actually a student here
Enginering Degree group project leader (Former Employee) –  Nottingham15 June 2018
I was a student here so should have gone in my education section but I'm here now and can't change it until i fill this in. Pretty fun time as a student here though.
I loved working here. Haven't had shifts in months
Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire5 June 2018
"The University of Nottingham is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community."

Unless you suffer from mental illness, in which case you need not apply.
Pros
Lovely atmosphere
Cons
Stopped giving me shifts after I missed a couple shifts due to mental illness
Great company.
Project data administrator (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire28 May 2018
Working for the University of Nottingham gave me several opportunities to develop my IT skills and interpersonal skills. I also gained my first experience as project manager.
Positive environment for advancement and excellence
Research/KTP Associate (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire25 May 2018
The University of Nottingham provides an excellent environment for personal growth and academic development within a supportive and productive setting.
Buen ambiente de trabajo
PhD student (Former Employee) –  Nottingham13 May 2018
Gente eficiente y cercana, siempre dispuesta a ayudar, buen ambiente de trabajo, buena disponibilidad de recursos.
Controlled yet welcoming work environment
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Nottingham11 May 2018
A typical day at work consisted of a 9 am start most days, however because of university studies I had the opportunity to inform my employer of the days I could work and could not work in advance. In terms of progression, I learnt how to effectively use a spreadsheet, attention to detail and developed my concentration levels. I also had access to sensitive material whilst working as a data entry clerk such as a students' passport photograph, visa application and University Approval forms.

The management hierarchy where I was stationed was relaxed yet controlled as each member had a certain role to play in order to ensure the Project was completed on time and within budget. In terms of work culture the staff were friendly, easy to get along with which made my time working here more pleasurable and I also developed my social skills as well as the task at hand.

The hardest part of the job was not to break your concentration and be distracted. To overcome this I was allowed to relocate to another office within the building to get the job done quickly, yet efficiently. On the contrary, the most enjoyable part of the job was the atmosphere, the people and knowing that you are part of a fundamental university project being a valuable asset in their progression.
Pros
Excellent working environment
Cons
None specifically
An OK place to work
Undergraduate Laboratory Demonstrator (Former Employee) –  Nottingham21 April 2018
I have worked at the University of Nottingham in various part time roles whilst I was a student. The pay was decent however the work was not that engaging for me
It is a good university
Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire16 April 2018
I would refer this university. The university pf Nottingham Malaysia campus is the ultimate destination for someone looking for a perfect work and life balance.
School Building Programme
Business Analyst, School Building Programme (Former Employee) –  Nottingham26 March 2018
working close with the relevant stakeholder to manage their expectation ,Requirements gathering and documentation at both high and detailed levels
Effectively managed stakeholders (developers, testers, etc) and the business expectations, Assisted the facilitation of Workshops and one on one interviews
Great to be in academia
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Nottingham12 March 2018
University what can I say, great to be in a research environment. Great student life all over again and fantastic leadership. However not the best place for money even when the VC probably gets paid millions.
Pros
Student life all over again
Cons
Not much, maybe pay
Very busy environment
Personal Assistant and Senior Administrator (Former Employee) –  Nottingham6 February 2018
A challenge meets you most days, be prepared and ready for them!
A great place to work with an ever changing environment. Staff and students get along, are informative and friendly.
Productive structured workplace
Employee (Former Employee) –  Nottingham26 January 2018
I worked University of Nottingham for eight months and was very surprised with how included I felt as part of the team - with some parts of the team - not everybody was talkative. A typical day was go to work, sign in, get your keys to get on with the job and sign out and take the keys back when the working hours were up. The hardest part of the job for me was getting to work due to using public transport at very early hours of the morning and suffering from home life issues.

From my experience, I learned that I can work to very high standards of cleaning as well as feeling a part of an important company. Work/Life Balance was difficult for me. After suffering with a medical condition for a few years made this difficult due to the early hours. Tried to adjust hours but this was not operationally possible leading to me leaving later last year.

Salary was good, above minimum wage and the benefits received were also a life saver - e.g. bus travel and cycle to work schemes. This helped me a lot at the time with my financial needs back then.

Training is provided in most roles, they are open to applications from all people regardless of race, backgorunds etc. due to being an 'Equal opportunities employer'. I attended three training programmes which were required for the role - they also often offered training in gaining qualifications centred around the certain work area.

Overall, a good company to work for just make sure that your health is in check, you attend every day, you do things properly and make sure you enjoy your time there. Enjoyed most of my time there just
  more... wish I could go back again with suitable hours for me to prove myself.  less
Pros
Welcoming team, excellent supervisors and management
Cons
Hours could be more flexible, policies/procedures hard to understand.
Varied and enthusiastic workplace.
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  University Campus5 January 2018
Being a student ambassador involved participating in a number of varied events across different teams (from Marketing to Schools Liaison ). This provided a good grounding in what it was like to work in different sectors, as well as providing a good, flexible income whilst studying.

Sometimes management could be a little too "corporate" in their approach, however, on the whole, the events were fun and it was great to work with an enthusiastic, passionate team.
Pros
Free lunches/dinners, varied events, fun events, chance to travel.
Cons
Management sometimes too "corporate", slight bias with certain employees.
a rewarding career
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Boston, Lincolnshire19 December 2017
As a student nurse, it is a challenging but rewarding role. A caring career awaits you. You have to learn a lot but the end goal is amazing, and is wonderful.
Pros
a rewarding career
Nice place to work
Administrative Assistant (Research) (Current Employee) –  Nottingham15 December 2017
Very friendly and supportive environment with lots of opportunities to continue learning after your studies. Good facilities for scientific research and approachable academics.
Disorganized, low pay, rude
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham7 December 2017
Pay was atrocious. After complaints from other TA's, pay was actually made even worse. Often told to redo work using different specifications than originally told but without pay. Unpaid mandatory meetings and unpaid optional meetings that didn't seem very optional were all too common.
Good
Centre Manager (Former Employee) –  Nottingham25 November 2017
The University of Nottingham is a public research university in Nottingham, United Kingdom. It was founded as University College Nottingham in 1881, and was granted a Royal Charter in 1948.
Nottingham's main campus (University Park) and teaching hospital (Queen's Medical Centre) are on the outskirts of the City of Nottingham, with a number of smaller campuses and sites elsewhere in Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire. Outside the United Kingdom, the university has campuses in Semenyih, Malaysia and Ningbo, China. Nottingham is organised into five constituent faculties, within which there are more than 50 schools, departments, institutes and research centres. Nottingham has about 44,000 students and 9,000 staff, and had an income of £635 million in 2015/16, of which £124.6 million was from research grants and contracts.[1]
The 2017 High Fliers survey stated Nottingham was the seventh most targeted university by the UK's top employers between 2016-17.[6] In 2012, Nottingham was ranked 13th in the world in terms of the number of alumni listed among CEOs of the Fortune Global 500.[7] It is also ranked 2nd (joint with Oxford) in the 2012 Summer Olympics table of British medal winners.[8] Moreover, in 2015, Nottingham was listed as the 9th largest European producer of entrepreneurs, according to a private report.[9] In the 2011 and 2014 GreenMetric World University Rankings, University Park was ranked as the world's most sustainable campus.[10][11] The institution's alumni have been awarded a variety of prestigious accolades, including 3 Nobel Prizes, a Turner Prize, and a Gabor Medal
  more... and Prize.
The university is a member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities, the Virgo Consortium, the European University Association, the Russell Group, Universities UK, Universitas 21, and participates in the Sutton Trust Summer School programme, as a member of the Sutton 30

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Nottingham. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2