University of Manchester

University of Manchester Employee Reviews

United Kingdom210 reviews
place for career development
It is a good place for career development, not too stressful - good work like balance, option for flexi time working schedule , not enough holidays. overall it is okay
Fast-paced
Working in academia is fast-paced and stressful. The pay was fairly good so that helped. The university culture was nice though and colleagues were enjoyable to be around.
Collabratuve and supportive enviroment
My one big concern with the University of Manchester is their reliance on fixed term contracts and the lack of security that gives.

Other than that I found the people I worked with supportive, including management and the atmosphere friendly. Rates of pay were good and terms fair.

While working for the UoM We had our first child and the university allowed me to rearrange my hours so I was working five days in four which was very, very helpful.
Only a part time role initially through Aspire Recruiting Agency for two years before being taken on permanently by the University as their own staff with all the benefits of full time staff.
Very good working environment with supportive colleagues while starting the first proper job.
I was assigned a postgraduate module with sole responsibility of teaching and assessment. Peer review was undertaken while I was teaching. I took tutorial classes for 2 to 3 undergraduate modules each semester. I was encouraged by my mentor to get some journal publications out of my PhD thesis. I was given financial support to attend conferences and present papers at the conferences. Hence, got some journal articles published and that was very helpful for following employment and academic standing.
Security
A typical day working the university security are two 12 hour days and two nights, I cover a large area of the University campus and interact with all students and staff building a good report.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with difficult members of the public who can be belligerent at times.

I enjoy meeting new people on a daily basis and enjoy my free time that I have of (4 days)
Pros
Time off
Cons
Tyhe Weather
A professional environment
A typical day at work consisted of classes in the morning and activities in the afternoon. I learned how to collaborate effectively with colleagues. The management were helpful and supportive. The workplace culture was good. The hardest part of the job was assessing written work and the most enjoyable was working with mature and interesting students.
Good
Only there as student researcher so difficult to give accurate employment review. Would recommend studying there however as it has an excellent faculty.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at University of Manchester?
I engaged in exciting cutting edge research with some of the most knowledgeable people in a very specialist area. A brilliant insight into the aspirations of blue sky research and the freedoms it gives to labs to investigate the natural world.
Great place
Very relaxed environment and great people to work with
I was really enjoying working there

Would recommend this to everyone

Thanks for the experience

Best regards
Έρευνα σε υψηλό επίπεδο και πολυπολιτισμικό περιβάλλον
Επιδέξιοι καθηγητές και ερευνητές οι οποίοι προωθούν την έρευνα σε όλα τα επίπεδα. Τέλειο για φοιτητές που θέλουν να ασχοληθούν με την έρευνα και να κάνουν διδακτορικό.
A good work environment
A very good environment to work with and working in a team is quite good. Relationships with students comes as a natural process.. access to a diverse range of students.is a plus.
Interesting and friendly workplace
Unique place to work
Typical day includes greeting/serving customers, stock control, checking temperatures of fridges, freezers, food, ensuring cleanliness and health and safety is to the highest standards, answering and making phone calls/emails.
N/a
There is a warm and friendly atmosphere within the working environment in The University of Manchester as well as a professional attitude. There is career progression within certain job roles.
Outrageous
Fantastic! All the Deputy/Superintendent are helpful and supportive! You will never find the best job within the Manchester like this. All the uni staff are friendly also.
Friendly, relaxed, and rewarding
I worked in a research laboratory for a year, I learned a lot of skills for aseptic technique and the process of culturing tissue all the way to analysis, that wasn't covered in my degree until my chosen dissertation topic (chosen due to my experience at Manchester being so enjoyable). I was inspired to pursue a PhD due to my time at Manchester. Any issues encountered I was happy to ask anyone for help as the atmosphere was so relaxed, and everyone I met so friendly and obviously enjoying their job.
Does not support staff with disabilities
Thoroughly enjoyed my time at UoM until I started having flare ups with my disability. Management were extremely unhelpful and ended my contract with less then 2 months to find a new job.
Research Intern Summer Placement
Had a nice work-life balance. Had the opportunity to explore and move at my own pace. Different supervisors have different demands. I had a good relationship with mine.
Excellent work-life balance
Excellent work-life balance
Very sociable

Helpful if required

Kind and respectful

I cannot stress enough how enjoyable it was to work there as a PhD student.
Awsome work experience
Working at university was a great experience and will be looking forward for more such things in future. Freindly atmosphere and great team to work with.
Casual work Invigilating
Perfect role for someone retired. Casual work Invigilating Exams at the University. 4 weeks May and June with 2 week slots in August and January. From this I have secured similar work with other Educational Establishments
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Manchester. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3